Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferguson Ariva 120 Users Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

1. Sound

I have the Ariva 120 feeding a TV which is not Saorview approved, but is capable of tuning the Saorview channels.
    I mostly view channels only through the Ariva as only one remote is needed and all channels (Sat & Saorview) are on the one listing.
    I have found though, that I need to have the audio volume of the TV turned up high (about 70%) to get sufficient volume when using the Ariva. Yet when I go to view a channel direct with the TV this nearly blows the speakers!
    I am feeding the TV from the Ariva using a HDMI cable.

It appears that the audio output on the HDMI from the Ariva is very low ...... or there is some mismatch on my TV. Has any one else experienced anything similar?

It is probably a problem with the TV I suspect. I have found nothing in the menu that helps ..... Hannspree 42".

2. Tuner

Last night I was watching the soccer 'mis-match' and the pic from the Ariva was breaking up at time - it would go blocky for a few seconds.
    I switched to viewing directly from the TV - after dropping the TV volume to about 25% from 70% - and had no more break-up.
    Both are fed from one aerial through a passive splitter ( I did swop cables in case that might be the cause).

Would it be incorrect to deduce that the Ariva tuner is less sensitive that the TV receiver ...... or is it more likely that something else is the cause?

Thanks for you thoughts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

1. Sound

I have the Ariva 120 feeding a TV which is not Saorview approved, but is capable of tuning the Saorview channels.
    I mostly view channels only through the Ariva as only one remote is needed and all channels (Sat & Saorview) are on the one listing.
    I have found though, that I need to have the audio volume of the TV turned up high (about 70%) to get sufficient volume when using the Ariva. Yet when I go to view a channel direct with the TV this nearly blows the speakers!
    I am feeding the TV from the Ariva using a HDMI cable.

It appears that the audio output on the HDMI from the Ariva is very low ...... or there is some mismatch on my TV. Has any one else experienced anything similar?

It is probably a problem with the TV I suspect. I have found nothing in the menu that helps ..... Hannspree 42".

2. Tuner

Last night I was watching the soccer 'mis-match' and the pic from the Ariva was breaking up at time - it would go blocky for a few seconds.
    I switched to viewing directly from the TV - after dropping the TV volume to about 25% from 70% - and had no more break-up.
    Both are fed from one aerial through a passive splitter ( I did swop cables in case that might be the cause).

Would it be incorrect to deduce that the Ariva tuner is less sensitive that the TV receiver ...... or is it more likely that something else is the cause?

Thanks for you thoughts ;)

1. There is a volume feature on the ariva. Use the supplied RC to turn it up to maybe 80% and leave it at that. Any further adjustments, just use your usual RC.

2. The Reception on RTE2HD on the ariva is not as good as either ( in my case ) the TV tuned RTE2HD or the UPC RTE2HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭zg3409

From your description it seems so. However sensitivity is not always a good thing. Too sensitive can pickup noise from nearby objects, such as mobile phones, baby intercoms etc.

RTENL recommend professional installers install the aerial and allow a 20dB signal margin above that needed. In other words the signal should be 100 times stronger than needed, to be sure of reliable reception at all times.

It seems as if the route cause is a weak signal arriving, improve the signal and the problems will dissapear.

dodzy wrote: »
    1. There is a volume feature on the ariva. Use the supplied RC to turn it up to maybe 80% and leave it at that. Any further adjustments, just use your usual RC.

The Ariva RC IS the normal RC .... the TV volume is preset and channel changing and other controls are done on the Ariva.
    It is only in situations like last night, that the TV's own tuner is used.

I have just checked a Silvercrest box into the Scart of the TV ..... and the same volume problem is present.

So it appears to be a TV problem ..... I will look again through the TV settings to see if there is anything which might ensure that different inputs produce similar volumes to the TV tuner.

2. The Reception on RTE2HD on the ariva is not as good as either ( in my case ) the TV tuned RTE2HD or the UPC RTE2HD.

Thanks for that.
    A little more comforting to know I am not the only one who has experienced it.

zg3409 wrote: »
    From your description it seems so. However sensitivity is not always a good thing. Too sensitive can pickup noise from nearby objects, such as mobile phones, baby intercoms etc.

No such problems exist on the TV.
    The only experience I have here of such interference is the PC speakers picking up mobile phones 'phoning home'.
    RTENL recommend professional installers install the aerial and allow a 20dB signal margin above that needed. In other words the signal should be 100 times stronger than needed, to be sure of reliable reception at all times.

Users are also told that if a very good signal is being received from an existing aerial, for TV3 & TG4, that the aerial won't need replacing.

The TV also has an analogue tuner which tunes in the present analogue stations without problems.

It seems as if the route cause is a weak signal arriving, improve the signal and the problems will dissapear.

Strangely it is only in the last week or so that this has occurred.

I will most likely replace the aerial next year when I upgrade the Sat dish and hopefully get a STB that is capable of Freesat and Saorview reception (by whatever means) .... the present Ariva can go to the kitchen or bedroom.

Thanks for the response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hibble

1. Sound

When viewing via the Ariva press the green "audio" button on the Ariva remote.
    A mini menu consisting of 3 lines appears.
    The bottom line can be toggled between LOW - NORMAL - HIGH
    Select the preferred option.
    Press exit.

Job done.

Thanks ..... I had that set previously, but it had been reset somehow :(

In any case while watching the England game, I set the TV to normal listening level ..... 15% on the TV.

I then switched to the Ariva box, with the audio set to High as you described, and had to go full volume on the Ariva to get the same level of sound from the TV.

Of course that means no further upwards adjustment is available on the Ariva for any content that has quieter/lower volume levels.

Nonetheless, I can up the TV volume to about 40% and then have sufficient adjustment on the Ariva ..... but of course if the display is switched back to TV it is waaay too loud still.

Seems there is nothing much else I can do ...... but I will search again in the menu of the TV in case I can somehow boost the HDMI audio volume.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

I've an issue where the satellite channels don't always work - I'll get a "no signal" message. However, sometimes they'll start to work after 20 minutes or so, or if I play some recordings the channels will be there when I exit Play mode.

So then I thought my lnb might be dodgy. But I hooked up my old Lidl box and the channels work first time every time.

The other thing to mention is this problem seemed to start after a firmware update (2.18b2) but at the time I thought the dish had become misaligned after a partticularly windy night. However I since reverted to 2.15b5 and the problem remains.

Any suggestions?

It BeeMee wrote: »
    I've an issue where the satellite channels don't always work - I'll get a "no signal" message. However, sometimes they'll start to work after 20 minutes or so, or if I play some recordings the channels will be there when I exit Play mode.

So then I thought my lnb might be dodgy. But I hooked up my old Lidl box and the channels work first time every time.

The other thing to mention is this problem seemed to start after a firmware update (2.18b2) but at the time I thought the dish had become misaligned after a partticularly windy night. However I since reverted to 2.15b5 and the problem remains.

Any suggestions?

Sometimes ones box is more sensitive than another. The most likely cause is a weak signal caused by a misaligned dish. The one way to be sure is to try on another persons dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Thanks for the suggestion zg
    I'll bring the box home at the weekend and try it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 mayojimjam

i bought 2 of these ferguson ariva 120 combos... spent a while sorting chanels on first one and putting them in the order I want... went to download info to memory stick and it goes all the way to 100% on yellow bar and "do not remove ..etc". the problem is it doesnt move on from there...i thought it might reboot or tell me that it has finished downloading but it doesnt.....

I tried anyhow to put data on other box and all it says is something about not allowed or something like that... any help ?? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

It BeeMee I seem to have the same problem,have you tried to unscrew the coax from the back of the box when still powered on and then screw it back in again? it works for me but is a real pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Hi guys
    Anybody any ideas where I can buy a 500 GB or 750 GB external hard drive which has an external power supply for Ariva 120 combo?
    Selig

komplett.ie
    dabs.ie

lots of others too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

just bought one of these boxes guys connected it to my sky dish and set aerial up in the attic alls working well did a scan and have all channels

but where im getting stuck is trying to sort the favourites out tried doing them myself with no luck
    i was wondering if anyone would have a favourites list on here that will work on a box thats firmware hasnt been updated
    theres a few at the start of this thread but not sure if i can use them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Your better off doing the FAV's with the remote, it's a pain in the arse but it might save trouble encountered if you use someone else's list, I believe you over write your firmware & personal settings when flashing a channel list to the ariva 120.
    You could backup your current un-sorted list to a usb stick & use a channel editor to create FAV menus then flash it back to the box, problem is the official Ferguson editor is useless for this, I found a program called SetEditHD100_1.17 for (Ferguson Ariva) & it does everything you want but it's a trial version
    http://www.mediafire.com/?dql336mx228thot

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭skydish79

Has anyone put patch on it for cccam.

Is it stable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

skydish79 wrote: »
    Has anyone put patch on it for cccam.

Is it stable?
    You don't actually install a patch, there is modified versions of the official firmware which has the cams patch embedded, when flashed to the box you have an extra menu where you configure cccam/newcam.
    These patched firmware versions are usually released a few days after the official firmware release....I hear it's stable:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

Seems the 120 is now out of stock in most places, with the ariva 150 now available in satsklep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Galia

I installed a Ferguson 120 for someone yesterday connected it to a old vcr via scart as the person wants to record using the vcr and the recording comes out black and white any suggestions on whats gone wrong ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

sher55 wrote: »
    I installed a Ferguson 120 for someone yesterday connected it to a old vcr via scart as the person wants to record using the vcr and the recording comes out black and white any suggestions on whats gone wrong ?
    Dodgy/incorrectly fitted SCART perhaps?

darth_maul wrote: »
    Seems the 120 is now out of stock in most places, with the ariva 150 now available in satsklep

Whats the main difference between the 2 models?

lensman wrote: »
    You don't actually install a patch, there is modified versions of the official firmware which has the cams patch embedded, when flashed to the box you have an extra menu where you configure cccam/newcam.
    These patched firmware versions are usually released a few days after the official firmware release....I hear it's stable:cool:

Do you have a link to latest firmware with the cam patch?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Try a prerecorded video film in the vcr and see if it also plays black and white, is vcr outputting a pal signal?

jonnygee wrote: »
    Try a prerecorded video film in the vcr and see if it also plays black and white, is vcr outputting a pal signal?

I am going to bring one home with me this week and test the issue with a vcr i got . This is the 2nd time this issue has happened. Some people still want to record with there old trusty vcr. Both issues had the following setup Ferguson 120 mpeg4 box connected to vcr via scart and then connected back via scart to TV.

Is saorview encrypted in someway ?:confused:

Is saorview encrypted in someway ?:confused:

B&W sounds like a worn tape or a worn VCR or a dodgy scart lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Maybe the output was changed, plugging the scart straight into a tv would be a good way of checking this

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    Maybe the output was changed, plugging the scart straight into a tv would be a good way of checking this

Checked with 2 vcrs i have at hand both fine it must be the other vcrs fault.
    thanks to everyone for there help.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Hi,
    Apologies if i missed this earlier but do any of ye have a universal remote code for the 120, the ones o have dont work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stwome01

Hi,
    Apologies if i missed this earlier but do any of ye have a universal remote code for the 120, the ones o have dont work

For the "One For All" universal remote
    VCR 2614
    SAT 2638
    However not all "One For All" universal remotehave this programmed into them.

Advertisement