Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Else Hip Hop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

your man talkin about jay z's 99 problems was hilarious.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Meh, It could've been a lot better if it wasn't for some ignorant comments from people who clearly don't know what the hell they were talking about, and constantly going round in circles. It was pretty chaotic too and maybe a host who knew a bit about what she talking about would help.

I dont know if she meant this way, but when she asked Questlove if he'd sell as much records by talking about positive things sounded like she thought he was some gangster.

Slaughterhouse done the right thing and bounced early.

your man talkin about jay z's 99 problems was hilarious.:D

Stinky gonna get the p*ss taken something shocking at college/work tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

He had good points, just terribly worded.

Azealia Banks on 103.8 now, and lots of "bitches" and worse being used by a woman, kind of disproves a lot of their debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

KRS-One is one of the ugliest rappers i have ever seen, pure legend and one of the best to do it, but fúckin hell he is one unfortunate looking lad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If you had the chance to see:
    Action Bronson, Lords of The UnderGround, A$AP Rocky and Nas

or

Danny Brown, Big K.R.I.T., MF DOOM and De La Soul

Who would you pick?

I'm in Berlin next weekend and the Splash Hip Hop fesitval is on and can only get to one of the days, i need to pick which one.

De la vs Nas.

Wow, hard choice.

Depends on who you like out of the other 6 rappers/groups. Personally it would depend on whether I was in a Nas mood or a De la mood.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think I'd like to see Nas more. But on that same day, I have seen Action Bronson before, A$AP i'm not really fussed about, and Lords would be great to see.

The other day, Danny Brown is someone i'd love to see, BIG KRIT i'm not that fussed over, and seen DOOM before.

On the other day that I cant go, Dialated peoples, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Mac Miller and Wiz Khalifa are playing.

Still undecided. But I know that I'm going to plan to go to the full festival next year. I seen some of last years on TV and it looked excellent.

Nas and Lords, Lords of the underground would be pretty rare to see, I'd opt for them, and i just happen to hate the other lot apart from De La.

By any chance did you take your name on this from the AZ song? ^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    By any chance did you take your name on this from the AZ song? ^

Yes..nicely spotted and good looks!! Primo did a great job...the scratched hook is GOATly...

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Yes..nicely spotted and good looks!! Primo did a great job...the scratched hook is GOATly...

One of my favourite songs man, also happens to be one of premos best beats, and AZ is one of the best MC's in the game.

One of my favourite songs man, also happens to be one of premos best beats, and AZ is one of the best MC's in the game.

Ditto...although The Format>...that was just insane. Good album too....absolutely pissed AZ's not on Life Is Good...and the same with Primo....wtf is Nas at?

Btw speaking of Primo, I just found out about one of his ancient collabs like 2 weeks ago but I've been playing everyday since...it's by Craig G. the dude who murked Supernat...it's called Ready Set Begin...good ish

Have many west coast artists ever used premo beats? One that comes to mind is Xzibit. I dont really think kendricks voice would suit the average premo beat, they'd have to be taylor made for him imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

So is it worth having a look at the debate when it gets put up on Youtube? Or is it just a waster of time.

I read a blog article on the Guardian website about it. I stopped reading, though, after they mentioned Drake in the same sentence as Death Grips when listing off "amazing artists from America".

So is it worth having a look at the debate when it gets put up on Youtube? Or is it just a waster of time.

I read a blog article on the Guardian website about it. I stopped reading, though, after they mentioned Drake in the same sentence as Death Grips when listing off "amazing artists from America".

It went on for over 2 hours, no new ground covered, they were obsessed with "the n word, b word and h word", had people on webcam the whole time and maybe spoke to for about 30 seconds and there were some ignorant comments.

it would be worth flicking through it though, the main professor defending hip hop was class. And of course Joe Budden stole the show the 2 times he was on it before leaving :D

Overall it was very frustrating to watch and if it was structured better and they were made to stop going round in circles it would've made all the difference.

Also done some stuff with MC Eiht, they were supposed to drop an album together a few years back.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Also done some stuff with MC Eiht, they were supposed to drop an album together a few years back.

Ah yes. Doesn't he have a beat on Eiht's next album too? Think I read that somewhere. Haha god when you think about it, the amount of collab albums he's supposed to be doing is more than he actually has done with Guru. The Blaq Poet collab was dope though. Actually the only one that seems to be happening it the KRS one which is a load of bull because KRS to me is wack. He had two decent solos which were only great because of Primo. I know legend and all that but I think he's very boring. I dunno if any of ye checked out his joint this year, The BDP Album but I gave it one quick spin as part of a study break. It was gawbage as the man himself would say. Honestly the whole real hip hop, I'm vital to the culture, weak current emcees etc got boring and frankly wack after Krisstyles which was pretty ordinary. So whats the point wasting 10-15 Primo beats on this wack @ss? Honestly I don't get Primo at times. If he got Nas over an album, it'd be 10x doper, he'd get more money (from sales and from the cash Nas would pay). KRS himself said he doesn't care if his albums dont sell at all. He literally does no advertising or hype for his albums. Then why is Primo doing this. He owes KRS nothing. He owes hip hop a Nas collab album. Simple as.

*Rant Over haha*

On a side note, have any of ye heard that Primo track by House Of Repz "U Gotta Love Us"? Well I only found out like two or three months ago that it actually was a recycled beat supposed to be from Luda. Well theres a video on youtube with Primo and Luda in the studio. Primo starts doing his scratching and ish with that beat. It is soooooo dope man!!! Luda would have dropped another classic Primo joint. Still dunno what happened there and why an unknown group got it. Check out the video and the house of repz track if you haven't. Good ish especially Primo in studio. I'd post links but I'm on my phone. Just type in "Dj Premier Ludacris studio" and you should be good.

KRS to me is wack.
    …..
    He had two decent solos which were only great because of Primo.
    I know legend and all that but I think he's very boring.

KRS himself said he doesn't care if his albums dont sell at all.

He owes KRS nothing. He owes hip hop a Nas collab album. Simple as.

First off, no just no. But onto your other points anyway.

Krs-One, like Premo, is an artist of course he doesn't care if he sells anything more than a basic amount to cover costs and keep him alive and happy.

He owes Krs nothing much like Premo owes you or anyone anything, he works with who he likes to work with.

Oh is KRS like totally bowed down to here haha? Well f it I just find the dude boring as crap 80% of the vine. I'd go into it more but I'd probably lose the little credibility I might have here :P. But honestly his projects of the last few years are tragic. I know the dude has been around considerably longer than I've been alive but honestly someone close to him has to be telling him he just isn't good anymore. I just think he won't step it up just because it's Primo and to me thats a waste of precious beats you know? Let me put it this way, who do you think honestly would do better service to Primo beats now? Nas or KRS? Esco every time for me. Look Return Of The Boom Bap was decent if not very good but the Primo tracks are by far the standouts...for me anyway. It's the same with the self titled too...again for me. But look my favourite KRS tracks from that album are Wannabemceez and Rappaz S N Dainja mainly because of Preem. Take Wannabemceez for example, the opening line is something like "Let me introduce you to another type of rapper MC" that is wack. And then the closing line on the first verse is like "Battling me. No no no no no no no." honestly that could not be considered "lyrical", "dope" or whatever you want to call good MCing. Compare that to Nas from either Illmatic or It Was Written. Take NY State Of Mind "rappers I monkey flip em with the funky rhythm I'd be kickin"...that right there is bananas *pun intended*. And then for closing lines, I'm gonna use the one from The Message which tbh I might get tattooed on me but with the first part changed with something else "a thug changes, and love changes and best friends become strangers". Honestly KRS is the Teacha but even stuff from his best tracks is uninspiring for me compared to Nas. I understand his legacy and his influence etc but at the end of the day I listen to rap and judge it solely on how good it sounds and not how influential it is. Thats why KRS would not make it high at all on my top rappers list or why none of his albums including the Boogie Down ish would make high on my top albums list. I'm probably making jaws drop and ish and you're probably think I don't know sh*t about hip hop but whatever. I've listened to too much to seperate the good from the bad. Anyway thats my thoughts....

Btw I apologise if I misquoted lyrics....I'm keeping one eye on the match so... :)

• Advertisement

His work with Marley Marl around 2007 was great, I have not listened to much past that of his.

But no matter how bad it is he still has 20 years of amazingly solid work.

Krs may not be to your liking, but accept he is most likely in your favorite rappers favorite rappers list.

Oh definitely. I'm not denying the guys legacy, influence and respect he's earned and all deservedly too...but honestly if KRS debuted in the mid 90's most ppl would think the guy is wack and untalented. I know thats irrelevant because he was there in the 80's but if you compare his work to Rakim or Cool J in the 80s they made better sounding music and were the better MC's. In the 90's you've got Nas, Jigga and Prodigy to name 3 who tore up the mid 90's and were considerably better than KRS. And I just think KRS is embarrassing himself by releasing so many pointless projects. If he did it more like Ice Cube (eventhough he is slightly watched up too), every few years he'd be alot better off and frankly he'd have more respect, particulary from ppl my age. Of the few ppl I know who know of KRS they are all my age and think he is god awful besides his influence. Thats what I'm tryin to say. He's just not a great rapper and is a bit one dimensional for me. By no means am I dissing his influence and all. He's as important to hip hop as Kurtis Blow, Ra, Cool J or G Rap but they were all better at what they did, well the last 3 anyway. Although Cool J is wack now G Rap and Rakim are still going strong lyrically and I think KRS is not because he is sticking to the same blooming topics. Thats why Mobb Deep got washed up. Theres only so much tracks you can talk about Queensbridge, the Dun language and crack/guns/murders etc.

To be brief, I respect KRS for what he has done for hip hop and how he has promoted the culture but it's time to pass the mic over.

he'd have more respect, particulary from ppl my age. Of the few ppl I know who know of KRS they are all my age and think he is god awful besides his influence.or me.

Theres only so much tracks you can talk about Queensbridge, the Dun language and crack/guns/murders etc.

To be brief, I respect KRS for what he has done for hip hop and how he has promoted the culture but it's time to pass the mic over.

What age is that?

Have you ever even fully listened to him if they are the 3/6 things you think about when you mention him?

He does not have the pass the torch. It is not an either/or situation, he can still release music however often he wants and that does not disturb the constant new influx of rappers too.

Dre does not write his lyrics and of course adopted Kendricks flow as he most likely wrote it and it was his song, it made perfect sense for Dre to do that.

F*ck my bad I never saw your post!!

I'm 18, so KRS debuted a good few years before I was born haha. I'll admit I haven't every heard every project by him and I haven't given all of his albums more than one spin but I have heard:
    Criminal Minded, By All Means Necessary, Blueprint, Edutainment, Boom Bap, Self Titled, I Got Next, Krisstyles, half off Spiritual Minded (been on my ipod with ages still haven't finished it.) the Showbiz collab, the Freddie Foxxx collab and the BDP Album. But I've only given proper attention to By All Means Necessary, Blueprint, Boom Bap, Self Titled and Kris Styles because the others didn't catch my attention from the bounce. Maybe I'm not qualified to criticise KRS. If I'm not I retract everything I've said on the dude. I'll definitely be checking out that Marley Marl collab as you seem to think it's nice. But honestly I find his stuff very repetitive. Thats partially my fault because as I've gotten into more rap I've become more accustomed to abstract and alternative hip hop like Cannibal Ox, Latyrx, Antipop Consortium etc but I can't help that.

Maybe I'm not qualified to criticise KRS. If I'm not I retract everything I've said on the dude.

Anybody can criticise anybody, it's all about opinion man. For instance i criticise basically everything Drake and Lil Wayne do even though I've only heard about 10 songs from each one of them, which is enough because they're diabolical. Criticise Rakim for all we care, I've criticised Pac a few times for fúck sake :D

Haha I'm the exact same with Drake and Wayne eventhough I have heard Take Care and Comeback Season (which actually is pretty damn good). As for Wayne, never heard a full release. Can't bear it. Yeah I could criticise Pac too but I do love his music. He has 3 albums I'd consider either classic or borderline but still he wouldn't make my top 15 of all time. Neither would Biggie btw.

Criticise Rakim for all we care, I've criticised Pac a few times for fúck sake :D

Yeah it is all opinion.

(criticizing 2pac though is wrong opinion :D)

As for the age, I don't think it has a big impact. I am only around 4 years older than you, hardly a generational gap and I was also not born when Krs started rapping.

To each their own though (but he is one of the most diverse rappers so boiling him down to guns/crack/bronx is wrong).

^ummm I think you've got it a lil mixed up. It was Mobb Deep that I was boiling down to guns/crime/crack/Queens...not KRS. I know thats probably being harsh on the IMD considering tracks like Drink Away The Pain, Where Ya Heart At but to be blunt thats what they are...

Yeah man age means nothing when it comes to music taste, I'm probably the youngest poster in the hip hop forum and my favourite rappers are cube and rakim, the 2 of them have been around since way way before i was born.

• Advertisement

Mad bad but you did call him repetitive essentially?

I think that is just plain wrong, fair enough if you don't like any/most of his stuff but he is not repetitive.

Advertisement