Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

KasparsS wrote: »
    Dont bother with saorsat to big fus for 2 stations.
    To expensive to put 2 dishes up.
    The areal for saorview will do the work ask any sat installer on adverts.ie they know what they talking about.

You are missing the point!

Saorsat is for the 2% to 4% that can't get a Saorview signal!

More like 3 and 1/2 stations. If you have Freesat there is little of value on TV3 & 3e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Apogee

If you go back through his posts, you'll see that his sole intention is to spam multiple threads with advertising for an installation service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Apogee wrote: »
    If you go back through his posts, you'll see that his sole intention is to spam multiple threads with advertising for an installation service.

He has even posted a link to add in adverts.ie in another thread. Business must be quite...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Digitaltv

thought advertising is banned ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Digitaltv wrote: »
    thought advertising is banned ?
    Yup!

Same with user names

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

KasparsS wrote: »
    Dont bother with saorsat to big fus for 2 stations.
    To expensive to put 2 dishes up.
    The areal for saorview will do the work ask any sat installer on adverts.ie they know what they talking about.
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_satellite+install/

Some of them advertising in there know how to undercut Tax paying and Insured installers also. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Digitaltv

scaller wrote: »
    Some of them advertising in there know how to undercut Tax paying and Insured installers also. :rolleyes:

These cowboys on adverts.ie should not be allowed unless they show PL insurance, business details etc, as they are ruining the professional installer.

Would you get a non reci electrican ?

Also most of them can't spell or speak english, so if thats anything to go by, there installation work could be crap, as they don't give a dame, and put up the ( i don't speak english )

Prove them selfs and join one of the professional bodies, which require PL, experience details, training, security check, bet they won't, so irish customers are been ripped of again, by the cowboys.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Digitaltv wrote: »
    These cowboys on adverts.ie should not be allowed unless they show PL insurance, business details etc, as they are ruining the professional installer.

Would you get a non reci electrican ?

Also most of them can't spell or speak english, so if thats anything to go by, there installation work could be crap, as they don't give a dame, and put up the ( i don't speak english )

Prove them selfs and join one of the professional bodies, which require PL, experience details, training, security check, bet they won't, so irish customers are been ripped of again, by the cowboys.

After looking on adverts. it seems the majority of them advertising for free in there cant spell properly and are undercutting each other on installs figures like €10 and €30 are been quoted for dish installs. How can any Legit tax paying installer charge that for an install and deduct expenses from it. And some of the pictures they put up of Installs they are proud of shows exactly the type of crash course installer they are. A sky dish on a upside down bracket bolted to a concrete post with only 2 bolts holding the flat plate bracket to the post. I remember a while ago another guy was proudly showing a Zone1 dish installed on the inside of a window sill looking out through the glass he had one side of the dish bent in a heap and only 2 bolts holding the bracket to the wall. How could any guy do this to a customers house. Also another guy advertising in there seems to be over qualified for the job alltogether maybe with all his certs he would be better suited to pilot the satellite to orbit. (Grade A Satellite installer Fetac Qualified and City&Guilds Qualified Trained by CAI Instructor) its a pity he wasn't trained to spell satellite instead of Sattellite realignment+ installation.

A RDI body needs to be set up badly. We all know the minister for communications has been told this (even by another TD) and it seems he just refers it on to saorview/rte Why A RDI body has nothing to do with saorview. After 24th Oct forget saorview its gone. An RDI body would cover all types of digital installations.

Also why dont the social and the revenue moniter these advertising sites. I was told that there is a guy down this way claiming long term dole and he is out installing non certifed mpeg4 boxes and cheap aerials for €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Out of interest, does anyone know if the satellite/aerial installers are doing Saorsat installations in nI ?

Given that a large proportion of TV viewers in NI have Sky already, I would imagine most people will not bother with the hassle of Saorsat and putting up an extra dish etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Out of interest, does anyone know if the satellite/aerial installers are doing Saorsat installations in nI ?

There are 2 distributers north of the border supplying KA LNBs so presumably some people are using them. There are one or two enthusiasts North of the border who have installed for personal use.

I have a friend near Whitehead whom I demonstrated the setup before it was live. He probably will install out of curiousity and to offer the channels to hotels/pubs etc.

As for a NI installer who is advertising the service online, I have seen none yet. I'll probaby end up installing a few up North where the NI minimux does not cover such as Rathlin Island, Maidens Island, Saint Johns point & Larne.

I may end up with a few portable setups, if full installs are not funded.

• Advertisement

Does anyone own a Fibreglass dish and a KA 20Ghz LNB?

I am considering buying a Fibreglass dish, but I would like to know first how it performs at 20Ghz, compared to a solid Dish?

I am concerned that inside the Fibreglass is some sort of metallic reflector. This may be mesh, tinfoil or some sort of metallic paint.
    I am concerned if the internal metal reflector is mesh or non solid material then the performance of the dish will not be any good at 20Ghz

If someone had a brand name Fibreglass dish, and could compare to a solid dish of the same size this would be great.
    No manufacturer in Europe list the 20Ghz performance of their dishes so I would like to know.

Most are mesh and will be poor at 20GHz

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭satwyn

zg3409 wrote: »
    Does anyone own a Fibreglass dish and a KA 20Ghz LNB?

I am considering buying a Fibreglass dish, but I would like to know first how it performs at 20Ghz, compared to a solid Dish?

I am concerned that inside the Fibreglass is some sort of metallic reflector. This may be mesh, tinfoil or some sort of metallic paint.
    I am concerned if the internal metal reflector is mesh or non solid material then the performance of the dish will not be any good at 20Ghz

If someone had a brand name Fibreglass dish, and could compare to a solid dish of the same size this would be great.
    No manufacturer in Europe list the 20Ghz performance of their dishes so I would like to know.
    can't compare but 1.2m andrews works ok here on ka 9e location north wales

• Registered Users Posts: 18 chputney

I am using a Tooway 1m fibreglass dish to receive Saorsat. No reception problems in Dublin.

C H Putney

chputney wrote: »
    I am using a Tooway 1m fibreglass dish to receive Saorsat. No reception problems in Dublin.

Is that one designed for internet at 20Ghz? Do u have a link to a photo or manufacturer site

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Another Dáil question this week re: TV3 on Saorsat
    468. Deputy Michael McCarthy asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources when he expects TV3 to make a decision on the carriage of the Saorstat service; the contract that has been made between his Department and the organisation on the matter to date; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [25564/12]

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Pat Rabbitte): There is no contract between TV3 and my Department. TV3 is a commercial broadcaster and I have no role in the operation of TV3 nor in its commercial or business decisions.

TV3 operates under contract from the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) to provide a national commercial broadcasting service.

The Broadcasting Act 2009 provides for TV3 to operate on SAORVIEW, should it wish to do so. TV3 has made a commercial decision to use the SAORVIEW service and in that regard space has been made available on SAORVIEW for the two TV3 channels - TV3 and 3e.

SAORSAT is a satellite TV service developed and operated by RTÉ. Its aim is to provide coverage of the RTÉ and other TV channels carried on it to the last 2% of the population so that all the people of Ireland can chose to receive these channels on a free to air platform.

RTÉ is not required to provide SAORSAT and has developed the service on its own initiative. RTÉ’s legislative obligation is to provide a national digital TV service and I am informed that this obligation is fully met through their SAORVIEW service.

I understand from RTÉ that SAORSAT currently carries RTÉ1, RTÉ2 (HD), TG4, RTÉ1+1, RTÉjr, RTÉ News Now and 10 Irish radio channels.

I also understand from RTÉ that, subject to agreement of the necessary commercial arrangements, carriage on SAORSAT is open to TV3 should they decide that they wish to be carried on the service. That decision, however, is a commercial matter for TV3 in the first instance.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2012/05/22/00269.asp#N2

zg3409:

Here are pictures of the dish I am using. I think that it might have originally been intended for 12GHz.

kasatdish.jpg

kasat.jpg

The uplink on Ku band Internet dishes (vsat) is between 14Ghz and up to 18GHz. If plastic or fibreglass and mesh, the mesh is much smaller than that in cheap domestic Receive only dishs which are for up to 12GHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Cush wrote: »
    Another Dáil question this week re: TV3 on Saorsat

:mad:

Pass the ****ing Buck.

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

gemihema wrote: »
    sorry guys what is it for

Saorsat is to provide the 2% of the population who cannot receive Saorview after Digital Switch Over with access to Irish TV channels.

RTÉ One, RTÉ Two HD, RTÉjr/RTÉ One +1 and RTÉ News Now have been available on the service for a number of months, with TG4 being made available in the last few weeks.

TV3 and 3e have yet to be added as it is a commercial decision for them to make. It is unlikely that TV3 or 3e will ever be available on Saorsat.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭stevethesatguy

Full Saorsat channel lineup as of today 31st May 2012

RTE1
    RTE2 HD
    TG4
    RTE NEWS NOW
    RTE Junior
    Plus 10 radio channels

My dish which receives Saorsat and UK freesat connected to a Xoro hrs8530

Saorsat%20Freesat%20Dish-500x500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Elmo wrote: »
    TV3 and 3e have yet to be added as it is a commercial decision for them to make. It is unlikely that TV3 or 3e will ever be available on Saorsat.

It should be made compulsory - either they go on both Saorview and Saorsat (and pay the appropriate transmission fees) or give their licence back and GTFO to Sky and UPC.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dhaumi

Full Saorsat channel lineup as of today 31st May 2012

RTE1
    RTE2 HD
    TG4
    RTE NEWS NOW
    RTE Junior
    Plus 10 radio channels

My dish which receives Saorsat and UK freesat connected to a Xoro hrs8530

Saorsat%20Freesat%20Dish-500x500.jpg

I'm tempted to get a LNB despite the line up. I've got a Triax dish as well (78cm) but the multi-bracket arm does not bend that much!
    I have 3 LNBs on it, on Astra 1, 2 and Hotbird. It's more or less centered on Astra 1.
    Somehow I doubt I will pick up Saorsat...
    Can a regular LNB detect Saorsat at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Apogee

dhaumi wrote: »

No.

However, it can be used for Eutelsat 9A at 9E on the Ku-band, so that will give you an good idea of correct alignment.

http://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-9A-and-Ka-Sat-9A.html

dhaumi wrote: »
    I'm tempted to get a LNB despite the line up. I've got a Triax dish as well (78cm) but the multi-bracket arm does not bend that much!
    I have 3 LNBs on it, on Astra 1, 2 and Hotbird. It's more or less centered on Astra 1.
    Somehow I doubt I will pick up Saorsat...

A normal LNB cannot pick up Saorsat. It will however pick up other channels at 9 East none of which are Irish.

I think others re-drilled the triax bracket (and turned it upside down) to get the required angle needed.

You could try a normal LNB for 9East channels. If that works OK then buy a Saorsat LNB and replace the normal LNB.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dhaumi

Thanks for the advice. I will try that this week end.

I decided to try a smaller dish than the 1m I was using for Saorsat reception and set up a 0.5m dish. The signal was weak with no errors here in Dublin.

saorsatdish.jpg

saorsatmeter.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

chputney wrote: »
    I decided to try a smaller dish than the 1m I was using for Saorsat reception and set up a 0.5m dish. The signal was weak with no errors here in Dublin.

What type of Meter are you using in the pic? I have a Satlook Micro and I can't find Saorsat at all with it. I had to align to 9.0E on KU first and then swap out the LNB. Your meter looks like a Satlook product so I am curious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Looks like a Satlook to me too.
    I was able to get a spectrum trace on my Micro, but no lock as it isn't S2, this meter must be S2 to get a lock-maybe a Micro HD?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement