Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Physics...Before/After**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

What exactly is modern physics btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

donvito99 wrote: »
    What exactly is modern physics btw?

Chapters on the electron (thermionic emission, photoelectric effect, x-rays etc.), then radioactivity (a b y-radiation, half life, decay), then nuclear fission + fusion. And then particle physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Chapters on the electron (thermionic emission, photoelectric effect, x-rays etc.), then radioactivity (a b y-radiation, half life, decay), then nuclear fission + fusion. And then particle physics.

Ah right, I hope that comes up!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Still don't know any of the definitions of by heart :/

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

donvito99 wrote: »
    I am also more linguistic than physic-y!:p Dunno why I EVER chose Physics. It has bored the shoite outta me for a solid two years now.

But tomorrow, it will all be over, FOREVER!

You think like me. I am SO EXCITED for this to be over. I literally am screwed for tomorrow.

I really don't understand anything on the course :L

• Advertisement

Still don't know any of the definitions of by heart :/

make use of your logs

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    I really don't understand anything on the course :L

Bring Vaseline tomorrow.

Bring Vaseline tomorrow.

No need to be smart

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    No need to be smart

Not understanding anything in physics is a sure way of failing it.

Learn your experiments as well as you can, try and learn as many definitions as you can, give every part a go even if you have no clue (you might still get 3 marks for formulas and another 3 for substituting) and hope for the best.

If you're doing OL a lot of it is common sense anyway, should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

Plonker! wrote: »
    This was annoying me too! If you simplify the units of w=sqrt(k/m) i.e sqrt((N m^-1)/kg) = sqrt((kg m m^-1 s^-2)/kg) = sqrt(s^-2) = s^-1 as in per second(the kg/kg and m*m^-1 both simplify to 1).
    So this implies units of w (omega) are per second? But angular velocity is rad/s, and it has to be radians in the units because you can use that value in the simple harmonic motion equation(applied maths):

x=(amplitude)sin(w*time) and the "w*time" has to equal radians so it you can evaluate the sine thingy... Can anyone tell me where the radians come from?

Edit: Wikipedia says its "angular frequency" not angular velocity, but that still makes no sense.

We haven't actually covered S.H.M in app math so I only know the basics. Not really sure how I feel about it:P I really hope the mechanics question is nice tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Not understanding anything in physics is a sure way of failing it.

Learn your experiments as well as you can, try and learn as many definitions as you can, give every part a go even if you have no clue (you might still get 3 marks for formulas and another 3 for substituting) and hope for the best.

If you're doing OL a lot of it is common sense anyway, should be fine.

I'm aware of that. I have put in the work and am doing it to the best of my ability. Some of us aren't as good as Physics as others. You're either good or not good at this subject.
    And I'm not doing OL.

thanks though

Should I do the higher level paper if i'm only gonna bluff my way through it.
    I'm ok on some questions but it really depends on the actual question asked. For example: on the particle physics question, I have done most of them on the past papers and sometimes I get a B but then sometimes I get only a D or E. And i'm not good on definitions, and I only vaguely know the experiments and other questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Right, narrowing down the course. Goodbye, optics and waves. Hello mechanics, heat, electricity, particle physics.

be grand. :pac:

Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

I'm fecked for this
    why am I doing HL
    why did I chose Physics
    why do I think Ill get a C2 in this

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

I'm fecked for this
    why am I doing HL
    why did I chose Physics
    why do I think Ill get a C2 in this

My thoughts EXACTLY.

Haven't even touched electricity, :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Anyone got a timing layout for the paper? I think it's 20 minutes per question but I'm not sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 insua

Ye 20 each. There's no real time problem with physics though

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Last week I said business would make me repeat but I did well, I really hope it's the same for physics. Can't really bullsh!t your way through numbers though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ducky195

Absolutley chuffed with that paper!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Best exam ever!
    So chuffed with how I did. :) Think I'll get an OL B2 or somewhere around that.

Well that went surprisingly well! Didn't study for it at all and thought I'd get a D, but I might even get a B1 with how that went. Perfect paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jimdwyer

What a babe of a paper!!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

That was a handy paper, too bad I didn't study but :( say I might of scraped a pass but it's looking like a fail :L I'll be changing my cao around tonight, any decent courses in the low 300's?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zhavey

I'm not to usually use meme's but......

everything_went_better_than_expected.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

40 mark window, anyone think they got the A1?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

FinnD wrote: »
    That was a handy paper, too bad I didn't study but :( say I might of scraped a pass but it's looking like a fail :L I'll be changing my cao around tonight, any decent courses in the low 300's?

Whatever you do, DO NOT PUSH YOUR MOST PREFERED COURSE DOWN ON YOUR LIST. sorry for shouting, but seriously, there are way too many people making this mistake, don't you be one of them.
    Leave your favourite, 2nd fav, 3rd etc.. In order of preference. And if you wan't, add a few low-point courses at the bottom of the list, and add a few to the level 6/7 list.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Epsi

Theory questions were grand. Maths questions were grand , made a few mistakes overall on maths , but they were fairly minor parts.

Stupid mistake on my part for experiment question 1 , it was badly worded and I thought you were supposed to draw on the graph given to you in the question. Asked the examiner about it afterwards and he said it was okay though and I shouldn't loose any marks for it.

Reckon I got a B1 (Secretly hoping for an A2) overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Epsi wrote: »
    Theory questions were grand. Maths questions were grand , made a few mistakes overall on maths , but they were fairly minor parts.

Stupid mistake on my part for experiment question 1 , it was badly worded and I thought you were supposed to draw on the graph given to you in the question. Asked the examiner about it afterwards and he said it was okay though and I shouldn't loose any marks for it.

You were.

• Advertisement

Epsi wrote: »

I thought you were supposed to draw on the graph given in the question? That's what everyone in my exam centre did.

Advertisement