Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Would you kindly, if discussing Prometheus, or any other film, please take care not to spoil it for others, use the spoilers quotes to avoid ruining movies, ok?

FYP, Atlasman ;).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hmm, I have the same problem in work, when serious cat gets serious no one believes him, think he is funny cat being funny instead...
    All that's left is the overweight sad cat, the one being held up by the neglectful owner, you know the one....

Fine then...
    Here's a spoiler for you....
    The Princess IS in Another Castle!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

392395_2245625557383_1750498889_1031762_660042313_n.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

FYP, Atlasman ;).

Googled Atlasman....
    was not prepared for what I found....
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/AtlasMencom/53951481202

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Googled Atlasman....

*Bookmarked*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Googled Atlasman....

Holy crap, real life Cho Aniki :eek:
    Does Retr0 know?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Anyone come across this add-on before?

megaplay.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Prometheus: Not bad at all.
    Odeon Screen 1: Designed by morons, steer clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

It sure is loud in there though!

I went to the Lighthouse and tried out their new Active Shutter 3D glasses. The 3D effect was much better than what I've seen on the standard glasses, but I felt like I was watching a black and white movie so much light was lost.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

DinoRex wrote: »
    It sure is loud in there though!

I went to the Lighthouse and tried out their new Active Shutter 3D glasses. The 3D effect was much better than what I've seen on the standard glasses, but I felt like I was watching a black and white movie so much light was lost.

Loud yes, impressive no. Not when you have clowns designing the place: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79007499&postcount=1466

Really not taken with 3D anymore either, Avatar has been the only exception and I'm thinking maybe part of that was because it was the first proper one. Think I'll enjoy Prometheus more when it comes out on dvd in director's cut form (in 2D!). :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Toying with going to see Prometheus this afternoon... 3D or not 3D?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

Would love to have a Moogle / moog doodle Challenge to see what people can come up with:

Been taking a raincheck on doing something creative with it,

would like to see how much it can be pushed and what sounds you can get out of it!

Now if only i could find a midi -> keystroke converter or something that would play back the keys pressed.

its hard to play live due to the latency between hitting a key and hearing a sonud.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Toying with going to see Prometheus this afternoon... 3D or not 3D?

Never, ever 3D. Unless it's Avatar, and you should just be going to see a better film in that case :P

I went to see Hara-Kiri a few weeks ago in 3D - my first in ages, and it was only because there was no 2D screening. Was so ludicrously dark I genuinely couldn't make out what was going on at times. That's it: they're not tricking me out of my money anymore. It's just such an appalling waste, and the sooner its recongised as the useless gimmick it is, the better.

Hmm, booking tickets now for this. It's been a while since I went to the flicks. Drive Angry 3D was the last movie I saw in the cinema.

What's the story with 'Mezz' seats at Movies@ cinemas? €18.50 a seat is it worth it?

Has anyone seen Prometheus in 3D? Is it as good as Tron Legacy for the 3D effect? Almost feeling swayed to book 2D here if Mr. U says the 2D version is better! :)

edit: Oh and is there much in the way of action in the film or is it an intellectual snorefest? I don't mind films like that now and again but my wife falls asleep in the cinema at films like that. Actually she falls asleep to everything. Useless for watching a film with her unless it's Dirty Dancing or some girly poop like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

A lot of people seem to be using the moogle as just a keybord and not tweaking it to come out with new sounds.

having said that though, this is pretty well played considering the delay:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I'd go with 2D. I usually avoid 3D but thought I'd give the midnight screening and the different 3D system a chance in the Lighthouse.

Took the glasses off a few times during the film and the difference in colour was ridiculous.

Overall the 3D doesn't add much. Maybe 3 scenes stand out. Mostly the floating holographic computer overlays look great.

As for action... the whole film is just little splodges of actiony bits. It never quite gets into gear.

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Has anyone seen Prometheus in 3D? Is it as good as Tron Legacy for the 3D effect? Almost feeling swayed to book 2D here if Mr. U says the 2D version is better! :)

edit: Oh and is there much in the way of action in the film or is it an intellectual snorefest? I don't mind films like that now and again but my wife falls asleep in the cinema at films like that. Actually she falls asleep to everything. Useless for watching a film with her unless it's Dirty Dancing or some girly poop like that!

Well I've only seen the 2D version, but TBH at this stage I'm willing to say 2D is automatically superior!

It's not an action-fest, truth be told. It's a strange hybrid of Alien and, say, Contact. There's certainly intellectual ponderings, but there's also body horror. It's very hard to give a blanket recommendation for it - it's proving extremely divisive, more so than any film I've come across recently. But I do think it's quite unlike anything else Hollywood has released lately, and only really worth approaching with an open mind. Don't expect 'another Alien' and you may find much to like. Shame it's so flawed, as there's a hell of a lot of potential in there.

Damn. It sounds like the kind of film I'd enjoy but the good woman will end up making a bed in her seat and nod off. :(

Tempted for the 3D though as even though it gives me a headache, I haven't plumped for a 3DTV at home so don't want to feel I missed out (if that sounds like a plausible argument/excuse).

Hmm, 2 hours isn't that bad. Does the film really plod like treacle between the action sequences?

Trust me, you're not missing out on anything with the lack of a third dimension.

The pacing of the film is certainly odd. There's only really one 'great' action sequence, and the film certainly isn't as tense or atmospheric as its predecessors. There's tonnes of clunky exposition, truth be told.

All I can say is to temper ones expectations accordingly. It's a hugely flawed film, but also one I'm partially willing to forgive because I thought it had admirable aspirations.

Thanks Mr. U, duly noted. I reckon I'll be alright with it. It's either Prometheus or La Boheme (Giacomo Puccini) Live in HD from Salzburg. :confused:

EDIT: Just noticed the same cinema is showing the Wimbledon men's singles final too. Also noticed that it's on July 8th. By the time the final actually starts I'll be about 35,000ft above Qatar on a flat bed, sipping Veuve Clicquot form a tall flute. 5 weeks from today!!! :D

EDIT: Booked 2 tickets for the 3D showing tonight. Sorry Mr. U, the temptation of headaches and poor 3D effects proved too much!

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Prometheus: Not bad at all.
    Odeon Screen 1: Designed by morons, steer clear.

I went on the second night the cinema was open. On the way out there was a manager and a load of others asking how we liked the whole setup etc.
    I turned to him and said "it seems your screen 1 was designed by morons who think the average height of a human is 3 feet tall and nobody has any peripheral vision whatsoever".

The height thing because the bottom of the screen is covered by heads and the peripheral vision thing is because the emergency exit on the top middle left as you look at the screen appears to have bright blue bulbs powered directly by a nuclear reactor.

Playing Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery EP after picking it up in the Humble Bundle. Great game (a very witty and effective mix between its point n click inspirations and indie game pretension), but the music is amazing:

Nintendo pre-E3 press conference liveblog!
    On tonight at 11pm Irish time I think for those interested.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/03/nintendo-pre-e3-press-conference-liveblog/

Just home from Prometheus. WHAT A MOVIE!

Thoroughly enjoyed it despite its flaws. Dying to get my paws on a directors cut blu ray now. Oh and the 3D was rather spectacular I thought. Worth the extra few bob as it was 3D that was actually well done, especially the silica storm!

Almost tempted to get a 3DTV now!

Just grabbed the latest Humble Bundle.
    Why have I never played this "Limbo" game before? I really like the style of it :)

Limbo is a fun little game. I nabbed that on XBL a while ago. Creepy, fun stuff.

So yeah, I'm on a Prometheus buzz. Link me up to an SACD and stacks of merchandise to waste my money on please. Thank you!

Oh, and a little aside. Has anyone tried the EDGE interactive sampler yet? This is the future and it looks much better than the attempt by Wired at an interactive magazine. Shame about the EDGE editorial though, hopefully other magazines will follow suit. Oh and Future mags are all half price over jubilee weekend. One is amused and content. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

This is kinda cool, but it using *only one controller* definitely raises a red flag for the sake of usability.

Live E3 Nintendo stream here:

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo_direct

• Advertisement

Has to be said, giant controller aside, the WiiU and it's features are absolutely biblical. What a console it's shaping up to be. :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement