Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

coylemj wrote: »
    What I'm saying is that I want a quick way to verify if the phone is switched off without having to switch it on!

When the phone is of, you need to hold down the power button for it to come on. A quick press does nothing.
    When it's on and in standby a quick press shows the unlock screen and time, it won't switch off if held pressed. HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

jozi wrote: »
    When the phone is of, you need to hold down the power button for it to come on. A quick press does nothing.
    When it's on and in standby a quick press shows the unlock screen and time, it won't switch off if held pressed. HTH

On the Desire, if I as much as look at the power button it switches on. Seriously, any pressure on the power button and it immediately vibrates to indicate it's powering up. Are you talking about your experience with the One V?

It would be a major improvement for me if the power button needed to be held for more than half a second or so in order to switch on.

One v, never had a smart phone before this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've had a Hero for the last few years and while it's grand for my day to day needs it was getting on a little. The One-V wasa free upgrade so I picked that up this morning. While I haven't had a chance to get in depth with it so far I think I'll be very happy with it. Yep it's not dual or quad core but it has everything I need to make me happy for the next while at least.

It seems to have a much better camera than the Hero, the display is larger, browsing websites is pretty snappy and it has a radio- something the Hero lacked.

The main draw for me however was the price
    > Free. I wouldn't say no to a One X but that would have meant paying €300. As such the One V is a massive upgrade coming from the Hero so I'm quite happy.

do you miss the roller ball? I did initially, had no choice but to get used to it when i went up to the desire s

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

theteal wrote: »
    do you miss the roller ball? I did initially, had no choice but to get used to it when i went up to the desire s

Not at all as I very rarely used it. Onscreen all the way for me.

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »

I had forgotten that it even existed, never use it except by accident so won't miss it if I upgrade from Desire to One V.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

ah i found it very useful for fixing spelling mistakes and when selecting bits of text for cut/copy paste etc. My onscreen finger accuracy has had to greatly improve so i suppose the change wasn't really a bad thing.

i've already recommended to a few friends (disgruntled wildfire s owners) to upgrade to the V so i'm pleased that it's being well received

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

i'm considering getting this phone also, carphone warehouse have it at 269, i have a small sony ericsson phone never owned a smartphone before so anything is better than the yoke i have now, any other good smart phones around the 260 price mark, i wouldn't go any higher price wise really. I'm not a heavy user at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

For anyone interested its available sim free on amazon.co.uk for £231.90. Delivered free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

For anyone interested its available sim free on amazon.co.uk for £231.90. Delivered free.

I bought that; comes to about €300. The carphone price above is a better deal if it's a PAYG phone.

• Advertisement

Looking at the V but might be tempted to stretch and go for the S. Apart from the obvious (processor & screen), found two significant differences....

1. V has a microSD slot, S and X do not

2. V takes a regular SIMM, S and X take the microSIM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why do they have the camera glass so exposed, makes no sense.

What do you like about the chin. That was kinda putting me off this phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

I like this phone but the chin is a bit off putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Apparently a homage to the HTC legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

polaris68 wrote: »
    Apparently a homage to the HTC legend!

You're a generation or two late. It's a homage to the first HTC android phone, the Dream and also the second generation Hero. Both of which came before the Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I got this during the week and I'm loving it so far. Had a Galaxy Mini before that, so it's a big step up for me.

One question though. I got this on Meteor, and their brochures and website, and the HTC website, all say the internal storage is 4GB. The listing on the Vodafone website says the same. But the phone itself is telling me that it's total internal storage is 0.94GB.

I know that some storage is given over to internal apps and systems etc, but 75% seems a bit extreme!

Has anyone else found this, or is it just me? I'm not too fussed because 0.94 GB is still 5 times better than my last phone, and I already have a large SD card. But if everyone else's is 4GB, then I figure no harm asking Meteor to give me more :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Is that whats left. not the total memory?

Specs are here
    http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_v-4575.php

From my reading of it, the 0.94GB is the total. I've attached a screen shot below, just in case I'm getting it backwards.

NuMarvel wrote: »
    From my reading of it, the 0.94GB is the total. I've attached a screen shot below, just in case I'm getting it backwards.

Is there external storage? Is the 4GB card in it?

There's a slot for external storage, but I didn't get an SD card when I got my phone.

But even if I did, it's odd that all the specs online say that Internal Storage is 4GB when my phone seems to be saying the maximum is 0.94GB. That's why I'm curious if anyone else has come across this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_v-review-750.php

Main disadvantages
    • Only 1GB of the 4GB internal storage is available to the user

NuMarvel wrote: »
    There's a slot for external storage, but I didn't get an SD card when I got my phone.

But even if I did, it's odd that all the specs online say that Internal Storage is 4GB when my phone seems to be saying the maximum is 0.94GB. That's why I'm curious if anyone else has come across this.

If I was you I'd buy a Sandisk 4GB microSD card in a Vodafone shop for €9.99 (€12.99 in O2), that will allow you to copy some apps to the memory card and free up RAM.

coylemj wrote: »
    If I was you I'd buy a Sandisk 4GB microSD card in a Vodafone shop for €9.99 (€12.99 in O2), that will allow you to copy some apps to the memory card and free up RAM.

That's expensive. You could buy a 16GB online for about 12.

TBi wrote: »
    That's expensive. You could buy a 16GB online for about 12.

I'll one up that with this, 9.16 and I think free delivery AND (as far as I know) their an Irish company.

---edit---

Everyone, except me, prob knows screen protectors can be got on ebay for a few quid for 10 (as do covers). I've a hard cover bought and like it but it doesn't protect the lip, got a PTU gel type one which protects better but isn't as nice really.

jgbyr wrote: »
    http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_v-review-750.php

Main disadvantages
    • Only 1GB of the 4GB internal storage is available to the user

We have a winner! Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

Anyone using this phone have any problems with it? Just looking at user reviews online and there are a lot of negative feedback relating to yellow spots on screen , reception issues and switching off randomly for no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

GIMP wrote: »
    Anyone using this phone have any problems with it? Just looking at user reviews online and there are a lot of negative feedback relating to yellow spots on screen , reception issues and switching off randomly for no reason.
    No problems whatsoever. Great phone imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

my daughter just got this phone and im very impressed.
    i have an HTC EVO3D and i was curious to see the difference.
    it runs sense 4 and ICS , the main thing that amazes me is the weight , its so light!!
    my EVO is running sense 3.6 and ICS (rooted) and they are very similar in looks.
    i notice the difference in speed but its not slow in any way.
    being honest i like the heavy feel of my phone and the bigger screen and dual core but for a solid smartphone this is perfect.
    she got the phone for free on an 18 month contract, not sure of the monthly sub?
    ive owned the widlfire , desire , sensation and the evo 3d and i can recommend this one V , its a great phone if getting it for free on a cheapish
    contract

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

GIMP wrote: »

My phone will not turn on!

Within two weeks of having it and loving it, it randomly tunred off and wouldn't turn on again. I returned it to Meteor and got a completly new phone, within a week I have the same issue. The 30 day period for returning it is over though so I can't return it to Meteor. It's still in warranty so hopefully I will still be able to get it sorted easily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Try holding down the power button for more than 15 seconds - it should trigger a reset. This happened to my HTC One S yesterday and I thought the phone was broken too - brought it back to Carphone Warehouse and the guy there had it back in a few minutes. It looks like an OS crash to me. Previously when a phone was unresponsive like this I simply popped out the battery and it was sorted.

Advertisement