Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One V

Options
  • 10-05-2012 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Thinking of buying one of these, anyone have one or anyone have an opinion on the handset?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

the verge did a review here. They weren't wow'ed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Spend the few Euro's more and get the One S, I had a look at the V and to be honest I wasn't impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 orourkk3

I got the one v last week when it was released on meteor for free on an 18 month contract, 20.33 a month. I had a hero and loved the chin. The one v is really light, much slimmer than the hero and I love the matte finish. Battery life has been excellent, getting 2-3 days out of a charge but I would consider myself a heavy user. I had looked at both the x and s but couldnt justify spending 2-300 quid on a phone and being tied to a 12-18 month contract. Coming from an xperia play which I picked up cheap at the end of last year I'm impressed. The fm radio for me which has been absent from a lot of smartphones for the last while is a real plus. Obviously your not getting a top of the range handset but with ics out of the box the v must be the one (see what I did there) for those looking for a midrange smartphone. Let me know if you've any specific questions you want answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Was looking at this earlier today and liked it's price point and size. The reviews say it can be a bit slow, is this noticeable with day to day use? Is it a good alternative to those who can justify spending 400+ on a mobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

Spend the few Euro's more and get the One S, I had a look at the V and to be honest I wasn't impressed.

It's a lot of euros more, beautiful phone but too expensive for my pocket. One v is more relevant, O2 selling it for E269 at moment. Is there any other handsets that compare for the same price/spec?

• Advertisement

GIMP wrote: »
    It's a lot of euros more, beautiful phone but too expensive for my pocket. One v is more relevant, O2 selling it for E269 at moment. Is there any other handsets that compare for the same price/spec?

Sony have something out now/soon thats priced a little lower, dual core cpu, lesser bat and no mem card but it also did alright in the few reviews I read. It's not as nice looking either really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

GIMP wrote: »
    I dont know if you want to use it as a PAYG phone and just buy it outright, but for me Im with Meteor and I was a PAYG user useing some months more than €20 credit, so I changed to bill pay and I bought the phone (HTC One S) online from Meteor for €199 and a contract of €25.33pm for 18 months
    I know bill pay is not suitable to everyone, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

orourkk3 wrote: »
    I got the one v last week when it was released on meteor for free on an 18 month contract, 20.33 a month. I had a hero and loved the chin. The one v is really light, much slimmer than the hero and I love the matte finish. Battery life has been excellent, getting 2-3 days out of a charge but I would consider myself a heavy user. I had looked at both the x and s but couldnt justify spending 2-300 quid on a phone and being tied to a 12-18 month contract. Coming from an xperia play which I picked up cheap at the end of last year I'm impressed. The fm radio for me which has been absent from a lot of smartphones for the last while is a real plus. Obviously your not getting a top of the range handset but with ics out of the box the v must be the one (see what I did there) for those looking for a midrange smartphone. Let me know if you've any specific questions you want answered.

A couple of questions for you if you don't mind.

How easy/difficult is it to view the screen outdoors?

Are there any issues connecting to wifi ( I have a Galaxy Mini & the samsungs are known for wifi issues)

Is there any lag when opening apps etc?

Thanks
    J

Viewing angles arent great outdoors. No issues with wifi, in fact I find the initial connection alot snappier than on the xperia play. Obviously its not the quickest off the mark opening apps etc compared to its dual core and quad core siblings but I certainly dont find it slow. There are compromises but for me anyway cost was an issue and for half the price of the x I was am willing to put up with the weaker performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Thanks.
    I'm in a similar position. It will have to be a compromise as I can't justify the spend for a top of the range model.
    I'll have to decide what are the important elements I require.

• Advertisement

ICS out of the box, expandable memory, unique design and low price. Certainly worth considering. I would have loved the bigger screen of the x but aswell as a heavy initial outlay you'd have to insure a phone like that and thats an additional cost on top of the high price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

And the ONE V has basically the same processor/gpu as last years Desire S, so it should still be a quick enough handset. Theres a solid 160€ or so difference between the ONE V and ONES, notamind the ONE X, so the ONE V will be a good option for plenty people, definitely nicer design that its samsung competitor, the ACE 2, if slightly inferior processor/gpu. The ONE V has ICS out of the box though which practically makes it a no brainer in the €200 to €300 category IMO

I got one Saturday, first smart phone, been messing with it lots. Batt not great yet but I expect that to improve as the novelty of a new phone wears of. Going by the reviews, the browser is a little laggy, I've found it quite acceptable but I've nothing to compare to other than a pc and I don't expect it to be as good as that.

So far, I'm happy with it. What sets this appart from one 2x it's price? Are they really 2x as good or just faster cpu, more ram etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Whats the internal memory after first boot on this bad boy?

Fieldog wrote: »
    Whats the internal memory after first boot on this bad boy?

I'm looking at this:

Total space: .94GB
    Apps: 318MB
    Available: 643MB

170MB used and 791MB free when I tap on apps from the the storage menu, if that makes sense? Waiting on a 16gig sd card to move some apps I've downloaded (about a dozen by now maybe more)

Anyone know where I can get this unlocked? Never done this online, is it safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Nokia 710 should fall in your price range and is a very good phone.

Hardly been a big seller and the specs of it would be nothing on the One V. Plus, thats a windows phone in any case!

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Hardly been a big seller and the specs of it would be nothing on the One V. Plus, thats a windows phone in any case!

Specs aren't everything. The Nokia will be faster in general usage. I know it's a Windows Phone. Always good to try something new.

A lot of android lovers tell iPhone users they should try something new, why can't i? :)

BTW if we were going by big sellers you'd be recommending an iPhone :)

EDIT: Just wondering, what specs on the V are better than the 710? Lumia has 1.4GHz processor (faster than the V's 1GHz), has the same 512MB ram, has 8GB storage and same resolution screen. It comes with Nokia Drive (GPS) and Nokia music for free.

Apologies, I thought the 710 had a 800MHz chip for some reason.

Its true it does some good points, and is substantially cheaper than the one V (I see its now £145 on amazon UK) but it is not rated highly for somereason, and clearly hasn't sold particularly well, not that the latter really means anything. I reckon Nokia will be putting out a new mid-ranger soon enough

• Advertisement

Apologies, I thought the 710 had a 800MHz chip for some reason.

Its true it does some good points, and is substantially cheaper than the one V (I see its now £145 on amazon UK) but it is not rated highly for somereason, and clearly hasn't sold particularly well, not that the latter really means anything. I reckon Nokia will be putting out a new mid-ranger soon enough

It gets 4.4 out of 5 on [URL="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006WM4N76/"[/URL]. I think that's ok.

Just one thing to note, and you'll see this with Android phones too, some people give the phones a low rating for silly reasons. If they get a defective one and get a replacement they give 1 star, there are always defective devices. Also people give 1 star for an issue which is either their own or one that is fixed with a later version of software. Stupid reviews... sometimes. You should see the "criticisms" of the 800. All totally debunked but still people give it 1 star.

Yeah, I generally don't bother reading reviews on amazon, or just the top rated reviews at the top if I do. I did read this one. This one is a lot more positive though. Its clearly a solid handset that does very little wrong. Its funny though, some mid rnage phones sell well, whereas others don't at all, hard to tell why. Some utterly uninspiring phone's(Samsung Galaxy ACE IMHO) seem to sell ridiculously well though. Then again the Ace probably sold well on the back of of how popular the S2 was/is.

I do however, rate the One V very highly as a mid rage phone, it feels really nice, well built and is running the latest android version.

I do however, rate the One V very highly as a mid rage phone, it feels really nice, well built and is running the latest android version.

I agree, i was very impressed with it and the One S. The One X is too big for me so i don't consider it. I quite like HTC's version of Android, appeals to me a lot more than touchwiz (neither as good as pure android on Nexus), and the build quality is very good. Every samsung i held just felt wrong, the screen wasn't as responsive as i like and were cheap n plasticy.

My friend bought a cheap Samsung (€200) last year. Bloody shocking thing it is! Good android phones are good, altho not my cup of tea, but bad ones are bloody bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thinking of buying a One V, I currently have the original HTC Desire but there is one feature that really bugs me and I wonder if any of you guys with the One V can advise me if it has been fixed...

My previous phones were all Nokia and if the display was dimmed but you weren't sure if the phone was switched off or not, you could momentarily press the power button and if you got no response you knew the phone was off. With the Desire, pressing the power button even for an instant would switch it on if it was off which was a pain, does the One V do this or do you have to hold down the power button for a second or more to switch it on?

What I'm saying is that I want a quick way to verify if the phone is switched off without having to switch it on!

It's the same on my HTC Trophy. Could be a HTC thing. Never happened on my iPhone.

try a Nokia Lumia. You'll get a fab OS and should work like your old nokia's when you click the power button.

TBi wrote: »
    try a Nokia Lumia. You'll get a fab OS and should work like your old nokia's when you click the power button.

I bought a Nokia E55 in April 2010, it is the biggest turkey I ever wasted my money on. Still no client for either FB or Twitter. Will I buy another Nokia? Will I 'eck!

I'm not getting on board a sinking ship. I don't care if it's Windows or Symbian, not interested.

coylemj wrote: »
    I bought a Nokia E55 in April 2010, it is the biggest turkey I ever wasted my money on. Still no client for either FB or Twitter. Will I buy another Nokia? Will I 'eck!

I'm not getting on board a sinking ship. I don't care if it's Windows or Symbian, not interested.

Buy a Titan, or a Samsung WP7 phone so?

You really should try WP7. It's fantastic. A lot of people said Apple was going to go bust in the late 90's but they managed to turn it around. I believe Nokia can to, especially with the new WP7 phones.

Buy a Titan, or a Samsung WP7 phone so?

You really should try WP7. It's fantastic. A lot of people said Apple was going to go bust in the late 90's but they managed to turn it around. I believe Nokia can to, especially with the new WP7 phones.

I can't fault your optimism but Microsoft have so many attenpts to get into the phone space and failed that they really should by now have gotten the message that phone users don't see them as viable contenders.

There is a large amount of antipathy towards Microsoft simply because their track record says that if they can get away with it, they will take total ownership of a platform and woe betide anyone who tries to take them on, remember NetScape & Lotus 1-2-3? Both were crushed and wiped out by the behemoth that is Microsoft.

That's why they have very few friends, they are anti openness and if they had their way they would by now own the mobile phone handset platform and anyone trying to develop for that platform who have to do so under rules laid down by Microsoft, no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Tbh I dont see it happening at all. Them and MS dropped the ball with it too much already,really were too late to the game, havnt marketed it enough/properly to try make a dent and really Elop is no Steve Jobs.
    Unless MS pull something amazing out of their arse with WP8 its not gonna happen cause they have to win over developers, consumers and manufacturers all in one go since none of those will come over without the others.
    For Devs the guidelines and restrictions for WP apps make it tough for them because of how much theyre allowed access to and its another platform to learn on top of them already looking into iOS and Android which have better chances of a return with their userbase. WP doesnt have enough of a userbase right now to justify the effort.
    For consumers apps, functionalty and eye candy sell phones. Without the devs theres no apps especially killer apps. Functionality is improving compared to how it launched but this isnt marketed at all. Unless you properly dig youre going to find out very little about it works and how its improved since launch. Eye candy is subjective but to simple consumers this usually means shiny which iOS set the bench mark for and this is what they look for. WP7 is very different and standard consumers scare easily especially with how late WP7 was to the game.
    Manufactures outside Nokia arent seeing any returns from their handsets and a lot are already paying MS a license fee from the android patents so theyre not going to keep paying 2. I'd say most are going to release the bare minimum until the deal runs out because Android has a userbase, allows them to play with it and has already brought them success.

This leaves Nokia as WPs only driving force and I think theyve made a mistake in putting all their eggs in the Wp7 basket and leaving Meego (which showed a lot more promise then anthing theyve done in years) almost abandoned. Elops ties with MS will do that company more harm then good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I've had a Hero for the last few years and while it's grand for my day to day needs it was getting on a little. The One-V wasa free upgrade so I picked that up this morning. While I haven't had a chance to get in depth with it so far I think I'll be very happy with it. Yep it's not dual or quad core but it has everything I need to make me happy for the next while at least.

It seems to have a much better camera than the Hero, the display is larger, browsing websites is pretty snappy and it has a radio- something the Hero lacked.

The main draw for me however was the price
    > Free. I wouldn't say no to a One X but that would have meant paying €300. As such the One V is a massive upgrade coming from the Hero so I'm quite happy.

Advertisement