Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cardinal Brady - holed and sunk, but does he know it?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You mean the Pope.
    Show a little respect for the man's title.

I respect those who earn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Galvasean wrote: »
    Leave the Pope alone!!

th_YouTube-LeaveBritneyAlone.jpg

Can I ask what you put into Google to get this image Galvasean?

Child crying perhaps?

What would Brendan Boland say about that?

You are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

the churchgoers mentality hasnt exactly helped,if things were more open maybe the boy could have been in a situation where he could speak out to his community (without being vilified are as someone telling tales etc)about such an indecent and horrible act that happened to him..
    a lot of young people were whipped away to the christian brothers on complaints of other neighbours back in holier than thou little ireland,where you had the church and elders as the higher authorities which is why i think priests and other such officials went about unquestioned..as they could do no wrong they were seen as higher up the foodchain..
    now of course our new church is the media which i think is unfortunate for different reasons,eg trial by media,what about that priest wrongfully accused on a primetime programme mission to pray...

Again you seem to be neglecting the fact that their mentality was created and supported by the church. The blame goes back to them. While yes I wish people had stood up to the RCC along time ago revolution against a group that has it's nails that dug into you is not an easy task. I think you're neglecting just how brainwashed the public were by the church.

Edit -
    @HappyMonday, whenever you're ready to retract that Shinner post...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The one person in all this who showed any semblance of compassion and bravery was the victim Brendan Boland. As a 14 year old boy he came out to try and save others from the same abuse he suffered. It's a pity the people he shared his knowledge with hadn't the same level of compassion and bravery.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sonics2k wrote: »
    We'll respect his title when he shows respect for People, Families and Children.

No somehow I don't think you atheists will.
    This Pope is doing a lot to correct the sins of the past.
    But that will never be enough.
    You want to see the Church destroyed.
    I'd respect you people more were you just to concede this.
    So he has sanctioned the release of all files for investagative purposes then? Is he cooperating in full with all investigations into clerical abuse?

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Again you seem to be neglecting the fact that their mentality was created and supported by the church. The blame goes back to them. While yes I wish people had stood up to the RCC along time ago revolution against a group that has it's nails that dug into you is not an easy task. I think you're neglecting just how brainwashed the public were by the church.

Edit -

The fact that you call yourself Shooter as well doesn't stand in your favour my Republican chum.

kbannon wrote: »
    So he has sanctioned the release of all files for investagative purposes then? Is he cooperating in full with all investigations into clerical abuse?

Yes he is - he has been crystal clear on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Doirtybirdy

koth wrote: »
    And when exactly did he defrock the priests convicted of child sex abuse? Hard to respect him when he retains such disgusting individuals as members of the club.

I see where you are coming from .I've a lot of respect for individual priests,the vast majority of whom are good people trying to do good things despite the helm being infested by bad.I don't expect anyone to be castigated for that position despite the wide opinion in this atheist parish that feels the need to do so repeatedly.
    For sure the leaders of the catholic church are the authors of their own churches shrinkage untill they accept and deal properly with home truths regarding hypocrisy of the worst order.

Heck,Cardinal Brady's situation is clear and simple.
    No one could possibly think it credible that he as a 36 year old priest could not have thought the questions he was told to ask the boys perverse and unnecessary when the right thinking would just be investigating a rape on the one hand and how a priest could be a priest at all on the other having committed such crimes given the morals they are supposed to be adhering and preaching.

(On a side note,I came in here from the front page,as atheism wouldn't be top of my interests but looking around,why is there so much discussion of religion here,some of it derogatory [which I don't have a problem with,I'm just saying].I mean I'd have thought atheists couldn't/shouldn't care less about the Christians? I was expecting theoreticals on atheism to be the majority here not well for want of a better way of putting it religion bashing [not wanting to being offensive using that term]
    It's probably the same in the religion forums? from the other side? I'm afraid to look.)
    Jeeze I couldn't care less :)

Can I ask what you put into Google to get this image Galvasean?

Child crying perhaps?

What would Brendan Boland say about that?

You are a disgrace.

As much as I'm enjoying you making an eejit out of yourself, that's not a child, it's an adult. Quite a famous one.

Actually, from the tone of your last few posts, the attempts to be clever, the passive- aggressiveness against atheists, the obvliviousness, it's all adding up to something... an equation, if you will.

As much as I'm enjoying you making an eejit out of yourself, that's not a child, it's an adult. Quite a famous one.

Actually, from the tone of your last few posts, the attempts to be clever, the passive- aggressiveness against atheists, the obvliviousness, it's all adding up to something... an equation, if you will.

Do go on, if you will.

And agnostics - don't forget them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

ShooterSF wrote: »

Edit -

The fact that you call yourself Shooter as well doesn't stand in your favour my Republican chum.

:rolleyes:
    says he who thinks Bloody Sunday was a day of joy.

Isn't ignorant accusation throwing fun?

If you can read this, you're too close!

Tut tut.
    I am a Catholic remember defending His Holiness the Pope.
    Why would I think that about the murder of 14 unarmed Catholic civilians?

Tut tut.

your username. Much like you made the stupid accusation to shooterSF being a Sinn fein supporter.

Maybe now you understand why your accusation was stupid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Tut tut.
    Well you are on here demanding respect for the leader of a church infamous through out the world for its sheltering of child rapists so im not sure how you would feel about the murder of civilians frankly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I was listening to Joe Duffy yesterday - I'd say "for my sins" if I wasn't an atheist - and heard the result of the SMS poll he ran: around 80% said the cardinal should go. The impressive figure here, however, is that there there still seem to be 20% of people in Ireland who would like him to stay. I'm one of them (--- hears gasps of incredulity, but will get back to this point later!):D

Although I understand where the OP is coming from, I'm not so sure that the analogy, the comparison to a ship is entirely accurate. Brady is not the ship; he is only the captain of one ship in the fleet, and it is certain that he will be going over the side before long - either jumping or being tossed off (edit: no pun intended), but unfortunately the ship itself - which is actually what needs to be sunk along with the others in the fleet - will stay afloat and sail on in the hope that the present tempest will pass and a new fog of ignorance and blindness will descend and give it time to regroup. So it has been for the best part of 2,000 years.:rolleyes:

The man is 73 and would have retired by now if he had any sense and even if his reputation was entirely unblemished, and it would be very surprising indeed if there weren't several candidates ready to step into the job, and sharpening their knives at the same time. He will be allowed to spin on for a while, and then given the nudge and told to bow out. Then, the church will hope, he will be seen as the guilty party, but the church itself will do its best to spin the old line that it's really all about good deeds except for a few, yadda, yadda, yadda.;)

The reason I'd like to see him hang on limpet-like for as long as possible is that every day he stays in the job actually weakens the whole outfit and opens more people's eyes to its absurdity.:D

I notice a lot of people getting hot and bothered because of what they see as a "lack of respect" for the Pope's title. Why?

I bet most of them, especially those whose knickers are most twisted, haven't the foggiest notion about the etymology of the word "pope". For their enlightenment, let me explain that it comes from the Latin: papa, which in turn comes from the Greek: πάππας (pappas), a child's word for "father".

Child's word" Hmmmm ...:D

Personally, I began claiming several years ago that it is actually an acronym from the words Protector of Paedophiles Everywhere and have noted with some satisfaction that others are gradually adopting the same practice.:P

Pedophile_b98957_737764.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Psst, Happy Monday, google 'Leave Britney alone' and then you too will understand the meme. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The head of the world's 1.2 billion Roman Catholics.
    a head whom most of the catholic followers in the west, it's probably a reasonable claim to make, do not like and regard as a retrograde leader for the church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Catholics just can't troll. It's probably the sheep mentality, although Stockholm Syndrome likely gets in the way too. Happy Monday is another in a long line of bitter disappointments, albeit not at all a surprising one.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Fortyniner

Not the old 'you atheists' bit again. And 'you people' as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Fortyniner wrote: »
    Not the old 'you atheists' bit again. And 'you people' as well....

you-people.jpg

Before anyone gets excited, it's also a meme!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Only if he missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

1) I am not an Atheist.
    2) He's done sweet sod all. As long as child abusers and the protectors of those abusers walk free, then nothing has been done.
    3) If he does the right thing, it will be.
    4) Quite often yes. Despite the good things that can be done by many Churches, the Vatican is responsible for far to much evil.
    5) I'd respect you a lot more if you actually stepped up, stopped being blinded by propaganda and false loyalty to a hierarchical system of hatred and bigotry, and admitted that various people within the Church are pure evil, and think only of themselves, and not of the people.

Sound fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭eire4

Cosidering all that has been revealed in recent years it is just sick to see this disgusting person remain on as head of the Irish church. It is a sad commentary on the Irish church that he is even allowed to remain on. This arrogant and to my mind sick and disgusting person should be heading toward a jail cell not remaining on in charge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭F12

recedite wrote: »
    T
    How can the Vatican condemn him? On the other hand, he has become a liability. I think he's going to be shafted, its the only way out for them. He'll be getting a parcel from Rome soon containing the proverbial revolver and a bottle of whiskey.

Nope, he knows too much. Remember he was a notary, one who keeps notes and records events and meetings, and his kind like to keep track of things for insurance in case they ever get cornered. He holds the cards, and the Ratican will have to be careful in how they might even consider dismounting him from his clerical position.

Gbear wrote: »
    I felt utterly sick watching that documentary. I've only watched a quarter of it and that's quite enough horror for one day. :(

Whatever about the rapists themselves - at least they were mentally ill. The scumbags who covered it up don't even have that to hide behind.

Brady should be dumped in the atlantic.

[FONT=Calibri, sans-serif]It all depends on what you mean by 'metally ill'. [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]The rapists were/are not merely mentally ill - they were/are simply evil. Mental illness means that mind doesn't function properly as it's working on false ideas and can't operate according to what reality presents itself to it. Such illness may be caused by a number of things, such as abuse of drugs and alcohol, but also including cultural habits and beliefs that contradict reality and confuse the mind to such a degree that the mind becomes unbalanced, but the possessor of the mind itself is not necessarily evil; not consciously aware of doing harm to themselves or others, to any great degree, though of course this varies from case to case. You could be mentally ill but not intentionally do harm to others, but that is not the case where violent sexual predators are concerned.[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]Rape is about deliberately and intentionally exerting forceful control over another being so as to deliberately harm them, degrade them, and reduce them to a place in the pervert's mind where they can feel superior to the victim. They do it because they choose to take no responsibility for control over themselves, as everyone else in their belief is out of step with what they consider to their selective and ego-centred reality. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]They hate their fellow man to such a degree that they can believe and justify ruining lives with absolutely no concern for the harm done or the consequences of their attitudes. They are of a mindset that they know what they do is not justifiable, so they create beliefs and excuses about the people they victimise so as to make them appear more deserving of pain and suffering than they do, and that they must punish them for their imagined sins or failings. The only wrong they are concerned about is if a wrong and evil act they commit becomes visible and known about by others. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial Narrow, sans-serif]This sort of perverted mind can justify just about anything to make what is obviously evil to any sane mind, look like it is right and justifiable. They are wilfully delusional and have ignored all capacity to reason they may possess, and be in such a state of belief that they become either violent or defensive, often both, when confronted by anything that might possibly suggest that they are not in conformity with reality. “Everyone else is mad around here...” or “What's your problem?” and “Who do you think you are, questioning me?”, and “Do you know who I am?”, are some of the pre-prepared scripts that trip off the tongues of these perverts, and where such exculpatory thinking has been promoted in a society where the mindless mantra of “Everyone must believe in something” is the norm, then they buy into such lowly excuse because that the sort of mind they possess. Why expect anything from a pig but a grunt? Only a pervert would even think for one second to stand up for a pervert. [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Yes he is - he has been crystal clear on this.

Really? That seems to be in conflict with, you know, reality. I notice your comment addresses his attitude, you have, intentionally I expect, not addressed the point about releasing files. I presume this is because you are well aware of the fact that the evil prick in charge of that dispicable organisation has continually withheld documentation relating to child sex abuse enquiries.

In fact inbeleivemone of the recent reports even mentions the fact that the Vatican complained to the Irish government about the commission asking for files and demanded any requested go through diplomatic channels. My understanding is the documentation was still not made fully available.

So whilst the evil prick might be crystal clear in what he says his actions, and those of the dispicable organisation that he heads up show this, like most of what he has said with respect to the rape of children at the hands of the churches employees, is nothing but mealy mouthed worthless lies only to be believed by idiots that can't see this organisation for what it is.

MrP

And further down the rabbit hole we go....

ABUSE SCANDAL: EX-DETECTIVE HITS OUT – SMYTH WARNED BOY AFTER BRADY MEETING
    In an alarming development, Mr Boland, the man who gave evidence to the then Father Sean Brady in 1975 hoping that paedophile priest Brendan Smyth would be stopped stunned the TV audience with a startling new revelation.

He told Nolan that a few weeks after he had given evidence in a church court detailing the abuse of him and others, evil Smyth arrived at a butcher’s shop where Mr Boland, then 14, had a part-time job.

Smyth had waved his finger at him as if to warn him off.

The incident will send new shockwaves through the Church today – and lead to questions as to how Smyth knew Mr Boland was his accuser.

:mad:

Disgusting perverts, and anyone who bends the knee to a sex-and-death-obsessed cult simply cannot rightly claim to follow anything truthful. It looks like the time of revelation has finally come, for priest, politician and banker, the Unholy Trinity, but just not the one the 'righteous' who claim the front pews on Sundays were expecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭FergusODowd

F12 wrote: »
    Disgusting perverts, and anyone who bends the knee to a sex-and-death-obsessed cult simply cannot rightly claim to follow anything truthful. It looks like the time of revelation has finally come, for priest, politician and banker, the Unholy Trinity, but just not the one the 'righteous' who claim the front pews on Sundays were expecting.

Bravo, lets not wait for the facts, lets blame all Catholics for telling Smyth. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Bravo, lets not wait for the facts, lets blame all Catholics for telling Smyth. :rolleyes:

Good thing thats not what he said.

I too wonder how anyone can follow the RCC in Ireland in good faith anymore, knowing the complicity of Brady and the likelyhood of Ratzinger's knowledge.

Advertisement