Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cardinal Brady - holed and sunk, but does he know it?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

The Catholic Church ruled this little country with Terror for a very long time. Even the Government were afraid of them including the gardai. I am so so happy to see them suffer now. He should go. He must go. And Connell was no better either

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

four18 wrote: »
    He should go. He must go to jail

FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tony_soprano

four18 wrote: »
    The Catholic Church ruled this little country with Terror for a very long time. Even the Government were afraid of them including the gardai. I am so so happy to see them suffer now. He should go. He must go. And Connell was no better either

AGS may not have done anything even brady had reported smith to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

The news media keep reminding us that he was only 35 at the time and also that he was only a priest then.
    I wonder would those excuses stand up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Just watched it there this morning.

How Brady hasn't resigned by now is beyond me - either:

1) Rome has refused his resignation (in which case he should just defy them anyways)

2) He's absolutely deluded and feels he did everything he could

or

3) He's an old man who is fully aware he has contributed to the misery and suffering of many children, yet feels above retaliation or justice owing to his lofty office in the church.

I've said it before, but how people (like my parents, or most of my family) can call themselves catholic, and put money into collection baskets at mass every week to support this organisation is jaw-dropping. It's sickening.

Have to admit, it was quite upsetting seeing the abuse victims recount their experiences, the pain still visible on their faces. And the hurt still there to be heard in their voices... it was harrowing, knowing that these kids had their lives ruined forever, with abuse continuing even when they had the courage to report it.

I'd say it's number 3.

• Advertisement

Another little thing that sums this whole thing up, I said to my parents that it was a wonder the young fella who reported it didn't get sent to a looney bin and both straightaway said "10 years earlier and he would've been".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I felt utterly sick watching that documentary. I've only watched a quarter of it and that's quite enough horror for one day. :(

Whatever about the rapists themselves - at least they were mentally ill. The scumbags who covered it up don't even have that to hide behind.

Brady should be dumped in the atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Gbear wrote: »
    I felt utterly sick watching that documentary. I've only watched a quarter of it and that's quite enough horror for one day. :(

Whatever about the rapists themselves - at least they were mentally ill. The scumbags who covered it up don't even have that to hide behind.

Brady should be dumped in the atlantic.

Have sympathy for the fish please. Better to dump him into an active volcano. I hear there's one spewing lava in Mexico.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Can't wait to see if waters comes out as a white knight or fails to refer to it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Rabble rabble, liberal media bias, rabble rabble, secular agenda, rabble rabble, cardinal persecution, rabble rabble dishonest documentary, rabble rabble, hitler/naziism, rabble rabble must fight for old traditional Ireland rabble rabble I'm insightful and true rabble rabble

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Thanks for putting those up, Koth. I missed the show when it was on tv.
    It's hard to put it coherently how angry that programme made me.

This.

I'm shook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

is he sitten there now,

in a room with the curtains drawn,

all on his todd,

contemplating his signed pic of
    http://www.serpo.org/r28pics/Pope_Benedict_XVI.jpg

while
    http://youtu.be/ohDDxCdm9Oo

plays in his head.....

Nevore wrote: »
    Can't wait to see if waters comes out as a white knight or fails to refer to it at all.

David Quinn came out in today's Indo and said Brady should step down, but not for the reason one would think...
    Can't find it on their site. I'm sure it will be up tomorrow. I only glanced through it (my tea break is preciously short), but from what I gathered he reckons Brady should step down because nobody has faith in him anymore regardless of whether he was right or wrong. He seemed at pains to explain that Brady was being held to a higher moral standard than everyone else - or something. It was all quite rambly.

For David Quinn to even say that is something significant. A full on admission by him would be borderline expecting to see a flying pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,039 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robindch wrote: »
    That the house rules of his organization, and the morals it promotes, thought perfect and infallible, are all now seen as too fallible now offer him, in what seem to be years of rapid decline, no protection from the just accusation of moral inadequacy.

Yeah, sometimes in my blackened, shrivelled, godless heart I feel sorry for the true believers who've watched everything they believe in, their whole vision for a 'just' and 'moral' society along Catholic lines fall down around their ears. Then I remember that among many other grevious crimes they actively facilitated child rape and continue to excuse and minimise their role in the conspiracy to this day.

Apparently there is the possibility of a PSNI investigation, as concealing evidence of a crime was itself a crime since the early 70s and Brady was aware of child rapes occurring in Northern Ireland. Somehow, this was not a criime until this year in our incredibly wooly legal system :rolleyes:

Let us not forget that it was NI which brought Brendan Smyth to justice*, not this jurisdiction. I hope they can again show us how justice should be done.

* If there was real justice, that bastard would be rotting in jail to this day. I hope he died screaming.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,039 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nodin wrote: »
    is he sitten there now,

in a room with the curtains drawn,

all on his todd,

contemplating his signed pic of
    http://www.serpo.org/r28pics/Pope_Benedict_XVI.jpg

while
    http://youtu.be/ohDDxCdm9Oo

plays in his head.....

I'm reminded of VB's remark about Enda and a tumbler of whiskey...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

I've noticed that one excuse being posited by some people on TV and radio for Brady's inaction is that "it was 1970s Ireland, things were different, there were different expectations etc...". I really wish somebody would put it to them that they claim to be the ones with absolute truth and morals and yet they are now claiming that absolute truth and morals seem to have changed in the past 40 years. So messed up.

Galvasean wrote: »
    David Quinn came out in today's Indo and said Brady should step down, .............

...a thing so shocking it would have red alert lights and sirens going, Kirk and the rest bouncing from one side of the bridge to the other.....

gawker wrote: »
    I've noticed that one excuse being posited by some people on TV and radio for Brady's inaction is that "it was 1970s Ireland, things were different, there were different expectations etc...". I really wish somebody would put it to them that they claim to be the ones with absolute truth and morals and yet they are now claiming that absolute truth and morals seem to have changed in the past 40 years. So messed up.

The 'We didn't understand the damage' line.

I was a teenager in the 1980's. The Church - as some have noted over the years - was a tad on the sex obsessed side then, and I doubt it was any better 5-10 years earlier. The idea that there could be a situation where a priest could be having sexual contact of any form with anyone and it not be taken seriously by the Church hierarchy is a bit much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Had Sean Brady gone to the police in 1975 it is likely that the Gardai would have taken no action.

Going to SS RUC would have been out of the question.

Why didn't that kid's father take some legal action?

gawker wrote: »
    I've noticed that one excuse being posited by some people on TV and radio for Brady's inaction is that "it was 1970s Ireland, things were different, there were different expectations etc...".

Didn't the head of Barnardos (whose name escapes me) come out the other day to say this is a huge urban myth. He noted that he was abused aged 11 and everybody knew what child abuse was back then. His father certainly is meant to have put a stop to that particular abuser.

Didn't the head of Barnardos (whose name escapes me) come out the other day to say this is a huge urban myth. He noted that he was abused aged 11 and everybody knew what child abuse was back then. His father certainly is meant to have put a stop to that particular abuser.

Fergus Finlay. Ineedy he did.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0502/fergus-finlay-sexual-abuse.html

Had Sean Brady gone to the police in 1975 it is likely that the Gardai would have taken no action.

Ifs and buts. The fact is he never went to them. That's like saying "I think my daughter may have been raped, but you know what I don't have much faith in local law enforcement so why bother reporting it?"

Jernal wrote: »
    Ifs and buts. The fact is he never went to them. That's like saying "I think my daughter may have been raped, but you know what I don't have much faith in local law enforcement so why bother reporting it?"

Not because of a lack of faith.
    Because of the conservative nature of senior extremist Catholics in the force.
    The Church believed that Brendan Smyth could be reformed within the church.
    He didn't have the power to go to the Gardai at that time.

Not because of a lack of faith.
    Because of the conservative nature of senior extremist Catholics in the force.

You can name a few of them then?

He didn't? You've some source or argument behind that, I trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Bóllocks he didn't.

Stop making excuses for these people, it's absolutely disgusting.

Didn't have the power? Did somebody break both of his legs and pull out his voice box?

Didn't have the power? Did somebody break both of his legs and pull out his voice box?

.......maybe they just took a hould on his hair as he was going down the road, but he got away from them and never chanced it again.

• Advertisement

:D
    Sonics2k wrote: »
    Bóllocks he didn't.

Stop making excuses for these people, it's absolutely disgusting.

Your language is disgusting.

Why didn't the child's father go the police at that time?

Advertisement