Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone who thinks
    Coulson is alive is kidding themselves, he clearly stopped breathing ffs! If he wasn't dead it would have been revealed in this film, he's not gandalf :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I've now seen this in both 3D and 2D and without doubt the 2D is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I've now seen this in both 3D and 2D and without doubt the 2D is the way to go.

Thats good to hear cos i saw it in 2D and thought it probably would have been even better to watch in 3D.

Great film and funnier than most comedy films aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

He was talking about
    being there when they thawed Cap.
    You're grasping at straws.

I thought his back peddling from that line that was one of the funnier scenes.

the look on caps face was priceless !

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think there is no way any of the sequels for Thor, Iron Man or Cap will be set before Avengers theres too many questions to ask going forward
    Iron Man 3 : He just discovered a perfect clean energy source and he says in the movie he's the only one in the clean energy game so expect someone from the far east (its set in china ) to challenge him and ultimatley try and knock him off his perch and if its based on Extremis (loosley) I could imagine the Mandarin possible creating it and sending Mallen after tony (anyone whos read Extremis will no what im talking about)

Thor 2: With Loki to go on trial and a promise that Thor will traverse some more of the 9 realms(possibly trying to find out who gave Loki the army) could we also see Thanos make a play for Asguard to try and get the Gauntlet, Then you could have any of Thors others villians make an appearance Surtur, Enchantress, Executioner, Ulik the Troll or the Dark Elves of Niphhileheim i think its called, And of the course theres the continuation of Jane Foster, Thor, Sif love triangle

Cap 2: Buckys not dead enough said there you know what happens him, I can see this happening in the sequel plus it'll be more shield oriented so maybe we;ll see more of Hydra (strucker, Viper or Zemo maybe ) or will AIM come out for an appearance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

He was talking about
    being there when they thawed Cap.
    You're grasping at straws.
    He was there before Cap woke up, so if the next film involves any sequences set before he woke up, it's not beyond plausibilty that Coulson would be shown.
    don ramo wrote: »
    its said in black and white that phil and cap never met face to face till cap boarded the carrier, so he cant be in Cap 2
    As said above, it depends what they're doing with the second film.
    that was also Thors first visit to earth since the bi-frost was blown up, so there is also no way he could be in Thor 2,
    But they may have him interacting with Natalie Portman, since he's one of the people in charge of protecting her. The main story would be set around Asgard, but I'd be surprised if they didn't show that Thor was still thinking of her.
    Iron Man 3 could be a possibility though id assume that would happen after the events in this,
    Yeah, I'm guessing that the rumours he'd be in IM3 were made before people saw him die in Avengers Assemble. It's possible it could happen from before AA and then continue in the aftermath, but that'd be fairly messy, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Ridley

Happy to get the version of the Hulk I didn't even know I wanted. :D
    humanji wrote: »
    As said above, it depends what they're doing with the second film.

Winter Soldier, I'd imagine.
    great things about comics is there's
    always a way back
    :D:D:D

One of the worst things about superhero comics. :mad:
    Selvig served his purpose though, cautious of Thor but ultimately a good guy.

Pym, for all intents and purposes, is a bit of a dickhead.

Fat lot of good Pym would do, one way or another the device would have turned into Ultron. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

By the powers granted to me by the great Lake State of Michigan, I hearby declare this SPOILER COUNTRY. Tags are hereby outlawed. To all you strangers who are entering this land having not seen the motion picture THE AVENGERS be warned: danger be here.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to express puzzlement that we're still discussing the potential resurrection of a character who was skewered by a giant pike, died on screen and was later seen wheeled off in a body bag. Frankly, short of having him decapitated or something, it couldn't have been more blunt. Even by comic standards a sequel resurrection would be stretching credibility. Sure, the Bible did it, and no-one believes a word of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

By the powers granted to me by the great Lake State of Michigan, I hearby declare this SPOILER COUNTRY. Tags are hereby outlawed. To all you strangers who are entering this land having not seen the motion picture THE AVENGERS be warned: danger be here.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to express puzzlement that we're still discussing the potential resurrection of a character who was skewered by a giant pike, died on screen and was later seen wheeled off in a body bag. Frankly, short of having him decapitated or something, it couldn't have been more blunt. Even by comic standards a sequel resurrection would be stretching credibility. Sure, the Bible did it, and no-one believes a word of that!

Not cool, you should not have included spoilers in the same post saying there would be no more spoiler tags

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yes, I am amazed that people are still clinging on the to hope that Coulson is still alive, or will make a miraculous recovery. Though to be fair, shows the level of affection people - myself included - had for the character. The studio knew that too, giving Coulson his own short-films (and comic spin-off I believe?). A shame we won't see Clark Gregg in any future movies; his deadpan delivery & quiet everyman persona made for a great foil to all the OTT superhero'ry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Loki has gone bad!

The Avengers win in the end!

Hulk Smashes!

Spoilers!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tony Stark sees dead people.

Thor is Keyzer Soze.

Voldemort kills Coulson.

And so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Phew,

I no longer have to put this in spoiler tags.
    "The Avengers Assemble."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Solid CG
    Coherent action - not overedited or so fast you can't see wtf was going on.
    Humour, though one or two jokes didn't seem to fall flat. Wonder what it would have been like to see this with an 8pm full audience.
    Decent enough bad guy - not cardboardy

I was a little let down by how it started and found that it didn't really find its feet until Stark and Captain America landed in Germany and captured the bad guy. Energy device plot thing - not so great, but I wouldn't mind seeing what Mr. Wheedon could do with a Star Trek script.

Thought the characters/team were pretty well done and fun, save for Nick Fury, but perhaps that's understandable. I liked Stark in this. I'm not too big on superhero films, really, and wasn't overly bothered by the first Iron Man film. Also liked Thor here as I figured he was likely to be a knucklehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

couldn't believe it when coulson just ripped off hulks head :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Organic Cavity

Amazeballs when Hulk said "smash" and Black Widows clothes fell off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Amazeballs when Hulk said "smash" and Black Widows clothes fell off.

Avengers_HulkSmash1.jpg

scarlett_johansson_naked.jpg

Hulk-Smash-in-The-Avengers.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Just out of the Avengers. Really enjoyed it. The whole time they were making these movies I kept thinking they were doing a half arsed job since they sacrificed the quality of many of the movies to use them as glorified trailers (notably Iron Man 2) and would end up with a mess with Avengers . Thankfully not.

Everyone gets a piece of the cake and no one was short changed. There are some funny bits during all the action which had me laughing. I did wish they would have elaborated on how Thor returns since it was where the movie left you hanging on how he would find a way back. They brush it off in one limp line which was a pity.
    Loki could be Michael Fassbender's evil brother Nevermind Thor's. The Hulk was the best they've done with him yet. Finally. Scarlett JoHo still does nothing for me but this was the nearest she got to winning me over. I'd be more interested in Coby Smulders though she hadn't much to do in it.

One other thing, I hate and am sick of the Stan Lee cameos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Coby would make an interesting Wonder Woman. I think Joss even produced some promotional pictures of her dressed as WW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Loved it.

Best bit for me was when Hulk and Thor gave the bad guys a hiding then Hulk flattened Thor.Whole room cracked up.

Also a special mention for Gwyneth Paltrows arse which I never really noticed before.It lit up the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

I'm not normally one for the superheroes, but I would reccomend this for comedy value. The character clashes were well thought out and Downey fits the self-proclaimed role of "genius billonaire playboy philantropist" very well. As well as that, the Hulk provides plenty of gags. The plot that fills in what the boys have been doing since the last movies is very weak though, with excuses like "we decided to leave you alone" or "you've been frozen".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Just home from seeing the Avengers there I wasnt sure what to expect, liked Iron Man 1 and even 2, but wasnt a huge fan of the Hulks, Thor or Captain Ameirca (Captain Ameirca which kind a reminded me of the Hellboy films but a bad version) films really found them watchable but not films id sit down for a second viewing.

But anyway really enjoyed The Avenegers bit slow to start of with but good character intercations, great action and finally a Hulk done right, The Hulk made the film for me. But all the characters fitted so well, Downey Jr does Iron Man perfectly every time. Scarlett Johansson wow :D Not a perfect film by any stretch just cant feel Chris Evans as Captain America but one id defo watch again and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I think people are making a bit of a mountain of Thor's reppearance. I'm no purist, I thought his arrival was quite good, and watching Loki squirm beforehand was excellent.
    Like most, the star is the hulk. Banner really brings something new, and the controlled change with the "I;m always angry" line is the biggest "F*CK YEAH" moment I have had in the cinema in years.

Oh yeah, Scarlet Johansson......../swoon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Loved it.

Best bit for me was when Hulk and Thor gave the bad guys a hiding then Hulk flattened Thor.Whole room cracked up.

Also a special mention for Gwyneth Paltrows arse which I never really noticed before.It lit up the screen.
    That scene when hulked punched Thor out of nowhere got an actual round of applause in the cinema when I went to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

One other thing, I hate and am sick of the Stan Lee cameos.

1403L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I'm not normally one for the superheroes, but I would reccomend this for comedy value. The character clashes were well thought out and Downey fits the self-proclaimed role of "genius billonaire playboy philantropist" very well. As well as that, the Hulk provides plenty of gags. The plot that fills in what the boys have been doing since the last movies is very weak though, with excuses like "we decided to leave you alone" or "you've been frozen".

Tbf thats pretty much what they did though. The Captain was frozen and wouldnt have been awake very long (going by that he hadnt met a lot of people yet) and they left Hulk alone cause they couldnt control him when he changed

Man, I loved this movie. Before I went into it, I was worried that it would resemble something like Spiderman 3; where you had just too many characters at once and everything tumbling down into an almighty mess. This is not what happened and each character was given adequate screen time and each was able to let their personality show. Hell, somehow Whedon even managed to deal with Robert Downey Jnr's Tony Stark, by not letting him steal the screen, but having him share it.

It was also one of the first times in an Action Hero movie that there was such a good blend of action and comedy. There were at least 5 or more fairly excellent scenes; not to mention one of my personal favourites being just when the Hulk just randomly punches Thor.

Speaking of the Hulk - when I saw that Edward Norton wasn't going to play Bruce Banner as he had in the previous movie, but now I see that Mark Ruffalo was excellent in the role. His Banner was able to do comedy so much better than Norton's, who was extremely serious.

So, yes. Definitely one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

......... Also a special mention for Gwyneth Paltrows arse which I never really noticed before.It lit up the screen.

Was she doing her party trick with the matches again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Was there one or two post/mid credit scenes? Saw one but I heard afterwards that there was another at the very end

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

Was there one or two post/mid credit scenes? Saw one but I heard afterwards that there was another at the very end

Just the one. I stayed right to the end.

Advertisement