Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

IsMiseJoe wrote: »
    What sort of crowd would they be expecting at this?
    Both teams have a good following...

Between 15-20 thousand would be my guess. I'd imagine the Mayo support would make up the bulk of the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Between 15-20 thousand would be my guess. I'd imagine the Mayo support would make up the bulk of the crowd.

I'd say there'll be more like 30/35 thousand, mayo should bring a good crowd with their recent sucess, and kildare/tyrone playing at 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

mayo.mick wrote: »
    I'd say there'll be more like 30/35 thousand, mayo should bring a good crowd with their recent sucess, and kildare/tyrone playing at 2pm.

Kildare always bring a huge crowd!! Would imagine 30k anyways for the day!!

That's not including myself so 30,001 ;)

Kildare always bring a huge crowd!! Would imagine 30k anyways for the day!!

That's not including myself so 30,001 ;)

+me 30,002:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

The future of your football team could be at risk, what with Michelle Mulherin as your local TD, there will be a lot less children born in mayo if she gets her way :)

Best of luck to Mayo, I hope they win the league, they seem to be going in the right direction with Horan, great footballer in his day as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SkyDiving

Woooooohooooooo bring on the final lads!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

blinding wrote: »
    Mayo could definetly do with a long range free taker (who could'nt)

That Brian Sheahan is some free taker (Pleased he missed the 45 yesterday though)

Is he the best free taker of all time (especially from distance). I can't think of any better myself.

Mayo would do some serious damage if we had a Sheahan to take our frees.

Don't know if I'd have him on frees to be honest. There's no point having the best free taker in the country if he can't kick them over when it matters. Sheehans last kick reminded me of Maurice Sheridan, deadly from frees up to the point where it all comes down to one kick, then unable to hack the pressure, his kick at the end was 15 metres inside his range on his good side, he blew it. Contrast that with Cillians effort with the last kick of normal time to nick the draw for Mayo, bad angle for a right footer, miss and Mayo are beaten but he split the posts. I know which of them I'd want on frees anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Don't know if I'd have him on frees to be honest. There's no point having the best free taker in the country if he can't kick them over when it matters. Sheehans last kick reminded me of Maurice Sheridan, deadly from frees up to the point where it all comes down to one kick, then unable to hack the pressure, his kick at the end was 15 metres inside his range on his good side, he blew it. Contrast that with Cillians effort with the last kick of normal time to nick the draw for Mayo, bad angle for a right footer, miss and Mayo are beaten but he split the posts. I know which of them I'd want on frees anyway.

That's a good point, I think he missed one from the same spot a few years ago v Dublin in the league, again it was the last kick of the game.
    And he fell to pieces for South Kerry v Mid Kerry in a county championship QF a few years ago, again when the game was on the lines.
    But Mayo still need someone who can convert 45s, at any stage of the game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

That's a good point, I think he missed one from the same spot a few years ago v Dublin in the league, again it was the last kick of the game.
    And he fell to pieces for South Kerry v Mid Kerry in a county championship QF a few years ago, again when the game was on the lines.
    But Mayo still need someone who can convert 45s, at any stage of the game.
    Mayo need a long range free taker all right.

In fairness Brian Sheehan is normally very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Think you're being a little harsh on both Sheehan and Sherdian tbh but Mayo have lacked a free taker for years that can place the ball from distance.
    Fair play to O'Connor for winning the free and having the composure to swing it over. He was only on the pitch a couple of minutes as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Anyone know if tickets will be on sale outside Croke Park on Sunday?

plasmaguy wrote: »

The ticket office accross from gills pub on the north circular road should be open on the morning of the match. ( the red brick building on the corner )

Link here;
    http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.358401,-6.254592&spn=0.000003,0.00284&t=m&layer=c&cbll=53.35835,-6.254342&panoid=BXhDnZFR2cDOCv32_Sz6rw&cbp=12,183.63,,0,0&z=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

plasmaguy wrote: »

Should be a ticket booth near Berminghams pub if like the last day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The future of your football team could be at risk, what with Michelle Mulherin as your local TD, there will be a lot less children born in mayo if she gets her way :)

If they win it, there will be plenty of fornicating going on:D:D:D:D:D

If they win it, there will be plenty of fornicating going on:D:D:D:D:D

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

Who are the favourites with the bookies going into the final?

IsMiseJoe wrote: »
    Who are the favourites with the bookies going into the final?

Cork 4/7 Mayo 15/8 with PP.

Big change from the game last summer where Cork were missing 5 or 6 players and Mayo were still 5/1,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Cork 4/7 Mayo 15/8 with PP.

Big change from the game last summer where Cork were missing 5 or 6 players and Mayo were still 5/1,

They were not missing 5 or 6 players. Everytime a Cork person recants it they were missing more players. They were missing three starters, before the match all the talk was how strong a panel Cork had. Now its the reason they lost.

bensweeney wrote: »
    They were not missing 5 or 6 players. Everytime a Cork person recants it they were missing more players. They were missing three starters, before the match all the talk was how strong a panel Cork had. Now its the reason they lost.

I would tell you're wrong and I'm not from Cork but your account is closed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Guys.

I'm a bit worried about Andy Moran. Judging by the pic in this article he mustn't have worn any sun-cream in Portugal at all.

• Advertisement

Guys.

I'm a bit worried about Andy Moran. Judging by the pic in this article he mustn't have worn any sun-cream in Portugal at all.

He looks dog rough. That's what all the booze and sun can do to a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Guys.

Us Rossies just tan a little differently, it comes out after a good bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Syferus wrote: »
    Us Rossies just tan a little differently, it comes out after a good bath.
    I think its fair to say ye do more than tanning a little differently.;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

if ye did as much tanning as training ye would not be a :D:D:Dbad team

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Guys.

Thats what the pressure of being Mayo captain for the championship can do for ya (look at the picture)

Mayo team just named,

1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
    2. Kevin Keane - Westport
    3. Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
    ... 4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    5. Lee Keegan - Westport
    6. Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
    7. Colm Boyle - Davitts
    8. Barry Moran - Castlebar Mitchels
    9. Jason Gibbons - Ballintubber
    10. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    11. Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen (Capt.)
    12. Alan Dillon - Ballintubber
    13. Conor Mortimer - Parnells
    14. Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
    15. Michael Conroy - Davitts

16. Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
    17. Michael Walsh - Ardnaree
    18. Shane McHale - Knockmore
    19. Peadar Gardiner - Crossmolina
    20. Richie Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
    21. Danny Geraghty - Ballintubber
    22. Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
    23. Patrick Harte - Ballina Stephenites
    24. Alan Freeman - Aghamore
    25. Enda Varley - Garrymore
    26. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Midfield will be under all sorts of pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Apart from AOS whom will be back for the championship that's a near full strength Mayo line up. In Clarke,Cafferkey,Higgins,Vaughan,Mortimer,Dillion & the Moran's that's plenty of mileage,experience for a so called young guns team.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭patrickn

Looking through the subs list what position does Michael Walsh play in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

patrickn wrote: »
    Looking through the subs list what position does Michael Walsh play in.

Corner back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement