Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life in NZ/Aus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

They're the same type of visa. Which one you apply for depends on your nationality. The 417 is the one you want whereas if you were from the USA you'd have to apply for the 462.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Ah ok, thanks so much for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 supp

I'm from Melbourne, born and bread. I've traveled enough to know this is the place for me. Love it. Here is my list of why Melbourne is the best place.

1. Bars in Melbourne

They are everywhere, even in the dry areas they're are now bars posing as restaurants. All the bars are different though, so ask around before you head out. It really depends on what mood your in and what type of atmosphere you are after. There are also a variety, like Hotels, Pubs, Pokies, Bars.

2. Parks and Gardens

Victoria, Melbourne is very green in general. We have slogans on our licence plates, it use to be The Garden State. So you can live inner city in a Apatment but still spend plenty of time out doors.

3. All Roads Lead somewhere....

I use to travel a lot for work. Mainly country towns around Victoria. After a while I realized I didn't need to follow the highways. There are many roads through country Victoria and towns you wouldn't have any idea existed. Even if you had a compass you could direct your self in the way you wanted to go and get there ok. I seriously can not rate, leaving the map at home and travlling through country Victoria.

4. Sports

Melbourne is the sporting capital in Australia. We have a whole district in the inner city to see sporting events. Like Tennis, Rugby League and Union, Aussie rules, Soccor plus more I am probably forgetting. Most of the venues have decent bars and places to eat.

5. Public Transport.

It's great....as long as you don't travel peak hour. I think this goes for any major city, but Melburnians (yep, that is what we call ourselves.) seem to always be complaining about public transport. I don't use it unless I've been at bars in melbourne so I can't really complain.

6. The people.

Like anywhere you visit, meet the people. Some will be rude, but there are plenty of others. It's the same where ever you go. Just have a good time.

That's all I can think of. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

You forgot to mention the coffee! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭shellybelly08

Hey people.. Living in Melbourne from Dublin orginally.. need opinions on travelling the east coast.. should we book on to a tour or do it ourselves.. any help or advice greatly appreciated...??

Also thinking of going to darwin in August to do our regional work, bf is a carpenter and I will look for something to do while there to get 2nd yr visa.. has anyone done regional work in Darwin ??

Thanks Michelle

• Advertisement

Hey people.. Living in Melbourne from Dublin orginally.. need opinions on travelling the east coast.. should we book on to a tour or do it ourselves.. any help or advice greatly appreciated...??

Also thinking of going to darwin in August to do our regional work, bf is a carpenter and I will look for something to do while there to get 2nd yr visa.. has anyone done regional work in Darwin ??

Thanks Michelle

Depends on your age/budget. A tour obviously takes the hassle out of it and you can see some stuff you might not have necessarily seen. But if you do it yourself you can take as much time as you want and go off the beaten track.

There is plenty of work in Darwin...apparently...

supp wrote: »

Thanks Michelle

Depends on your age/budget. A tour obviously takes the hassle out of it and you can see some stuff you might not have necessarily seen. But if you do it yourself you can take as much time as you want and go off the beaten track.

There is plenty of work in Darwin...apparently...

Its regional work I need though like in an Abbatoir, food processing plant, or farming or traffic control too!!

Yeah I get what ya mean it guts 2000 for a tour?! It be prob more than that to do it yourself I dunno I having actually got a clue how to cost the trip?!

You forgot to mention the coffee! :D

haha YES! The most obvious of them all. Our coffee rivals, well everywhere in Europe. Actually when I was in Ireland I finally found a coffee house. I asked for a latte and the lady look at me like I was mad. So I just asked for a coffee with more than 50% milk. I seriously burnt the roof of my mouth from that coffee. It was terrible, I actually considered going to hospital lol.

Back on the bars. I went out on Saturday night. I had a birthday party and it was pretty good. There are heaps of sites for information but I used bars in Melbourne. Seems pretty decent and only a small selection of bars to choose from.

Another thing you need to do when you are here is come to a footy game. Beats the hell out of gaelic footy :D: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭kdevitt

haha YES! The most obvious of them all. Our coffee rivals, well everywhere in Europe. Actually when I was in Ireland I finally found a coffee house.

You finally found a coffee house, were you looking in a field? Theres coffee shops everywhere in Ireland, and I strongly doubt that the staff in a single one of them don't know what a latte is.

Australians and their coffee - drives me nuts - its no better and no worse than any coffee place in Dublin.

haha

This was in 2004 or so. There were coffee shops but none of them knew how to make real coffee. Sorry if that came across as offensive, but the lack of coffee shops amazed me back then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

kdevitt wrote: »
    You finally found a coffee house, were you looking in a field? Theres coffee shops everywhere in Ireland, and I strongly doubt that the staff in a single one of them don't know what a latte is.

Australians and their coffee - drives me nuts - its no better and no worse than any coffee place in Dublin.
    Things must have really improved cause it was god awful a few years ago?

Zambia wrote: »

ex-pats are always defensive, no matter where you go lol

Zambia wrote: »

I've never had an issue getting a nice cup of coffee in Dublin - from working on Baggot St over a decade ago to working in Windmill Lane two years ago. If anything its worse now than years ago given the proliferation of Starbucks taking over the place.
    ex-pats are always defensive, no matter where you go lol

No really any reason for me to be defensive now is there, I hardly came out here to be a barista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Lol, reminds of folk in WA who say "you should go to Margaret River, it's beautiful!" . Well, yes it's nice when you compare it to what's in the rest of WA!!! But have you been abroad!?! ;):):pac:

Margs is lovely though!

One thing with the coffee is I came across "flat whites" everywhere in Aus. I never noticed them in Ireland before. Maybe they were always there but never came up on my radar. Bloody lovely they were too, and I have had my fair share of them in Ireland since....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I remember one of the first times I ordered a coffee over there. I said 'and a nice drop of milk'. She looked at me as if I had 2 heads. I quickly learnt to say white coffee please.

Aussies have an awful opinion of the Irish and Ireland in general.. really not nice to hear at all!!

Open your minds.. We have come here to make a better life not to dis the Aussies or do them out of anything..!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Australia/NZ coffee could be more correctly called 'Milk'. Coffee for babies who dont like coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 39,156 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

seachto7 wrote: »
    One thing with the coffee is I came across "flat whites" everywhere in Aus. I never noticed them in Ireland before. Maybe they were always there but never came up on my radar. Bloody lovely they were too, and I have had my fair share of them in Ireland since....

A flat white is just plain white coffee. Maybe with latte/cappuccinos etc growing in popularity at home they might be using the phrase flat white a but more. But they were always available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mellor wrote: »
    A flat white is just plain white coffee. Maybe with latte/cappuccinos etc growing in popularity at home they might be using the phrase flat white a but more. But they were always available.

According to my local barrista a flat white isn't plain white coffee, (well it would be coffee + steamed milk) similar to a latte, the difference being the ratio of milk to coffee, a flat white has less milk and usually less foam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

CiaranC wrote: »
    Australia/NZ coffee could be more correctly called 'Milk'. Coffee for babies who dont like coffee

:eek:
    What do you mean?
    It's one of the best coffee cultures in the world - which is a rare thing to say about Australia!
    Shot of coffee topped with milk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Whatever a flat white essentially is, it tastes farking good mate!:)

seachto7 wrote: »
    Whatever a flat white essentially is, it tastes farking good mate!:)

Its a latte - with less froth on top. (2-3mm as opposed to 8-10mm)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I is leaving Wellington 6 weeks today - exciting!

Anyway, we have to pack up/sell/get rid of all our **** before we leave the flat in 4 weeks time. We'll probably have some kitchen stuff leftoever (glasses and pots and pans and things), If any boardsies will be in town and need some stuff, just let me know.

Our flat will also be coming available if anyone is looking for somewhere. Compared to some of the awful places we've seen in Wellington our flat is like a palace :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Its a latte - with less froth on top. (2-3mm as opposed to 8-10mm)

Yeah, it's the volume of milk that's the only diff. a flat white cup is 160ml and a latte glass is 190ml, the coffee shot is about 50ml of that.

While the coffee over here is good I dislike flat whites, I want a nice big mug of coffee with just milk, not froth :D God, I'm so Irish (and I work for a coffee roaster now too:pac:)

Incedently the story goes that lattes were invented in Italy during WW2 for american soldiers who refused to drink coffee black ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Black coffee is the only way to go imo, if you want drink milk then drink milk & if you want to drink coffee drink coffee. It's like adding lemonade to beer it's just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I dont know how many dizzy tarts in Australia tried to convince me that they went to Rome and the coffee was "gross". Thats cos you dont like coffee you clowns!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Black coffee is the only way to go imo, if you want drink milk then drink milk & if you want to drink coffee drink coffee. It's like adding lemonade to beer it's just wrong.

I drink black myself most of the time but I think its size of milk coffee that's key. An 8oz cup allows a nice balance of coffee and milk but when I see people with 16-24oz cups its just a couple of shots of coffee swimming in a bucket of milk.
    Btw, the quality of black coffee, through filter, espresso, cold drip etc is better (on average) in Melbourne than anywhere else in world I qhave been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Aussies have an awful opinion of the Irish and Ireland in general.. really not nice to hear at all!!

Open your minds.. We have come here to make a better life not to dis the Aussies or do them out of anything..!!

Whereabouts are you based? Any Aussies I've talked to so far in and around Sydney have been dead on and didnt seem to have any particular bias against the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,156 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

hussey wrote: »
    According to my local barrista a flat white isn't plain white coffee, (well it would be coffee + steamed milk) similar to a latte, the difference being the ratio of milk to coffee, a flat white has less milk and usually less foam.
    Yeah you're right.
    I was actually think about that after I posted. A plain white coffee that you'd be served in a canteen would be coffee + cold milk. I'm so used to milk being heated by default (in college too, not just Oz) that I forgot about that option outside the home. I think flat white is a cafe au lait in traditional naming.

I remember one time in college orderin an americano and expecting something fancy with syrup and cream (american style I figured) and being utterly disappointed.

this pic explains the differences well.
    different-types-of-coffee-774272.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭davepatr07

It's hard to adjust especially when you have met someone living and working in NZ (after spending a year there) and being based for the moment (on a 2yr WHV) in Melbourne.

Took the partner back to Ireland for a few wks to meet the family in March for St Paddy's Day and did a bit of touring around the country. We were blessed with the weather. She became a HUGE fan of the Irish Breakfast especially the sausages and soda bread which she says are miles better than NZ. However NZ to both of us we found to be expensive compared to Ireland in terms of groceries even Oz. Even the quality of food in Ireland is much better having been away over 2 years now. I can see the difference. There's a lot more choice to shop from. Sometimes wish Lidl and Tesco would come down here to this part of the world but even Aldi don't have many stores in Oz, well haven't seen many about as you would back in Ireland.

Having said all that we both like NZ as it is a very relaxing place, chilled out with lots of activities and places to see on your doorstep. Downside I feel (and someone brought this up on another tread) is the distance away from everywhere else, not like Europe. Again it is each to their own. Everyone has their preferences.

Over all good experience.

Advertisement