Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

cloud493 wrote: »
    I'm actually looking at getting one of these, are they any good?

Le sigh

Read the bloody thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

ED E wrote: »
    Define "Car Mode"?

If you have a mount for the phone of some sort, by attaching a smart tag to trigger apps/settings OR if you're using a bluetooth device as you said you can trigger an app once it connects using the "Liveware manager".

Ok - I was looking at something like this Car Panel
    But I also have Car Home Ultra installed and I can see now that the Liveware app should be able to fire this up once I connect Bluetooth.
    I will test and see how it looks later

BTW that Liveware app is pretty cool - lots of things I could do with different connections

Just got me a PS3 controller, time for some fun ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Just got me a PS3 controller, time for some fun ;)

Care to elaborate ED? :D

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Care to elaborate ED? :D

Will do, with a video....eventually. The fact that I dont have root is causing a bit of a hiccup :/ And I cant get it cause of sim+boot -lock :(

• Advertisement

There seems to be very little progress getting root on the BL locked phones!
    Very frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a case for this?

Also how do people feel about the charger port cover? Its annoying me already and I only have the phone 24 hrs – has anyone removed it?

Don't remove it. I have mine about a month now and the cover has loosened up a lot. Much easier to use it now

Just noticed the 50GB free:) BOX account - looks handy and its for life too - I think you can hook up a sync between Google Docs/Picassa photos/Dropbox etc so it may be a handy back up tool for important stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Just noticed the 50GB free:) BOX account - looks handy and its for life too - I think you can hook up a sync between Google Docs/Picassa photos/Dropbox etc so it may be a handy back up tool for important stuff

Googled this very easy to do :)

Havent used Box before, nice extra

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Googled this very easy to do :)

Havent used Box before, nice extra

Yes seems like a great extra (I know HTC One devices got 25GB Dropbox account for a 2 year period but this is double and for life)

I use SocialFolders on PC at home and that syncs stuff between all types of accounts and will connect to your BOX account so its like drag and drop on your PC for example and you can sync stuff between lots of services

I can PM a link for that service if you want and we both get an increase of 1000 file limit :D

Maybe I should set up a SocialFolders referral thread

• Advertisement

Yes seems like a great extra (I know HTC One devices got 25GB Dropbox account for a 2 year period but this is double and for life)

I use SocialFolders on PC at home and that syncs stuff between all types of accounts and will connect to your BOX account so its like drag and drop on your PC for example and you can sync stuff between lots of services

I can PM a link for that service if you want and we both get an increase of 1000 file limit :D
    I cant see any reason not to, cheers :D

Perhaps I'm going mad, but is there a way to set the calendar week start day to Monday on this phone?
    I've been able to do it with all other android phones I've had before!

Anyone?
    Is it possible?

Seems to be according to language selected, which is a bit disappointing

http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/182938

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Seems to be according to language selected, which is a bit disappointing

http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/182938

It's more than disappointing, it's stupid that the customisation has been taken out :(

Anyone figure out how to get the calendar working correctly or even get it to work consistently?

I have a good few calendars that I use through my Google account and on previous androids I could see appointments and they were colour coded according to the calendar the came from – now I just get one colour and a lot of the time I have to manually sync to get the calendar to update correctly

Any tips for a decent calendar app and widget?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Ok, whats waking my phone up? i've turned off everything i can think of, have juice defender knocking off data and wifi, task killer killing apps when the screen is off, but as you can see from the screen shot, my phone is waking up many times overnight. my battery lasts 16-24 hours tops with normal usage, whereas my iphone with similar usage lasts 26-32 hours.

screenshot

Ok, whats waking my phone up? i've turned off everything i can think of, have juice defender knocking off data and wifi, task killer killing apps when the screen is off, but as you can see from the screen shot, my phone is waking up many times overnight. my battery lasts 16-24 hours tops with normal usage, whereas my iphone with similar usage lasts 26-32 hours.

screenshot

What firmware are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

screenshot

Weird...my graph flat-lines from when I turn off wifi at night til it comes back on in the morning and no awake time. Is there any app listed as using battery power in the screen previous the the screenshot you sent on?

Just spotted the screen protector pre installed

Has anyone removed this?

Maybe that's why the capacitive buttons are a little finicky

Has anyone removed this?

Maybe that's why the capacitive buttons are a little finicky

I was thinking this too after I spotted it!
    Would it really be that simple? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Ludo wrote: »

screenshot

Weird...my graph flat-lines from when I turn off wifi at night til it comes back on in the morning and no awake time. Is there any app listed as using battery power in the screen previous the the screenshot you sent on?

Any non standard app on the list isn't even using double digits, percentage wise.

I was thinking this too after I spotted it!
    Would it really be that simple? :D

Apparently they are built as hard press capacitive buttons to stop accidental pressing of the buttons

1. Its not a screen protector, its a shatter sheet, sony covering their arses in the legal sense.

2. Yes it does reduce their sensitivity.

This is driving me nuts
    how do I create a new contact and assign it to a group? Or edit a current one and add see what group its in

As in
    I have different groups in my Gmail contacts and in all other Androids I have used before I could choose to add it to a group for example I could add my phone number for Joe Bloggs to a group called work and Jane Doe could be added to a group called friends

S doesnt seem to read gContact groups. I send bulk messages("anyone for pints?") every now and then and found the only way to do it on the XS was with a 3rd party app(I use handcent). Groups were created with a browser(contacts.google.com).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Sony doesn't use gorilla glass so it needs a protector to stop scratches (unlike iPhone, HTC, samsung & nokia).
    1. Its not a screen protector, its a shatter sheet, sony covering their arses in the legal sense.

It's a screen protector, as per above. Unless you have proof that it's a "shatter sheet". Although sony might call it this to distract people from the fact that the phone needs a screen protector because it doesn't use gorilla glass.

TBi wrote: »

It's a screen protector, as per above. Unless you have proof that it's a "shatter sheet". Although sony might call it this to distract people from the fact that the phone needs a screen protector because it doesn't use gorilla glass.

Sony reps have said it dozens of times. Google it or check XDA. They install a shatter sheet in the factory and send a screen protector in the box.

It may not be gorilla glass, but just because my runners arent nike doesnt mean I cant run in them. Those who have taken the risk in not using a protector have said that its rather resilient and that one isnt really necessary.

S doesnt seem to read gContact groups. I send bulk messages("anyone for pints?") every now and then and found the only way to do it on the XS was with a 3rd party app(I use handcent). Groups were created with a browser(contacts.google.com).

Ya Handcent is perfect for sending the messages but I want to be able to add contacts to a group on the phone - bit of an oversight really

I wonder is there 3rd part contact apps out there that will do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

but just because my runners arent nike doesnt mean I cant run in them.

And just because someone calls a runner 'Nike' doesn't stop it from being just a runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Got my smart tags in the post, thanks marcbrophy :)

Advertisement