Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are Unions allowed get away with this?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

The supermarket made profits of £3.7bn on nearly £68bn of sales last year. Over the past five years Tesco has increased the productivity of its store staff to record levels. The average number of full-time employees in a 40,000 sq ft superstore has fallen from 275 to 226.

So, Bo ho poor Tesco had its staff try and get some money off them, the poor global empire.

For gods sake people how about siding with the little guy for a change. True it might have been a bit much to be asking for but think about it. If it’s a new store with poor transport links compared to the old store the cost of getting to it could be far more then 1400 extra a year. I’m not saying that it will be a huge cost to them to go an extra mile it may not and it’s good that they have a job in the current economic situation but most of them will likely be on minimum wage and it is a cost that they do not need or want that the company is inflicting on them.

This is not a company that is in danger of going under.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Doc wrote: »
    The supermarket made profits of £3.7bn on nearly £68bn of sales last year. Over the past five years Tesco has increased the productivity of its store staff to record levels. The average number of full-time employees in a 40,000 sq ft superstore has fallen from 275 to 226.

So, Bo ho poor Tesco had its staff try and get some money off them, the poor global empire.

For gods sake people how about siding with the little guy for a change. True it might have been a bit much to be asking for but think about it. If it’s a new store with poor transport links compared to the old store the cost of getting to it could be far more then 1400 extra a year. I’m not saying that it will be a huge cost to them to go an extra mile it may not and it’s good that they have a job in the current economic situation but most of them will likely be on minimum wage and it is a cost that they do not need or want that the company is inflicting on them.

From what people tell me Tesco arent the worst to work for. It seems a petty thing for them to be kicking up about when they have steady work TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Doc wrote: »

As I previously posted, the union movement in this country need to change how they go about their tasks. A progressive solution would have been to see the gaps in the collective agreement or contracts of employment and close them, if a similar payment had been made in the past it may have been possible to enshrine such payment into the collective agreement. By not doing so the union effectively leave their members open to businesses taking advantage and at the mercy of the labour court. This is not the fault of the business, or the union members, rather a failing on behalf of their regional representatives to avail of an opportunity when presented.
    Again, in my opinion, and in my experience, (given that I don't know the full facts behind this story) it is fairly commonplace that precedent isn't written into collective agreements (primarily because employees sometimes don't want to "miss out" by having a lesser deal locked in), it is usually during advanced grievance resolutions that the arguments about precedent arise. This to me is baffling, if a ruling is given, or a locally brokered agreement is found shouldn't this form a concrete amendment to any collective? Thereby removing the counter arguments against precedent?
    People need to be represented, but they also need to examine the restrictions that their collectives and employment contracts place on them, in both the good times and the bad. Just because a company is incredibly profitable doesn't mean it is correct to seek a payment, by that logic if the organisation begins to lose money then there should be a reversal? And as we are all aware, and again I'm not PS or bank bashing, this doesn't happen, when the pot is running low the unions will fight to keep their previously awarded benefits. There is an argument that says this is fine and should remain so, however there is also and argument that would suggest that in tougher times some claw back can exist, especially (and importantly) if it is proven that it will improve the survivability of employment.
    Also as to being on the side of the little guy; Would it not be better to be on the side of what is correct? If an employer acts within the law, and acts within normal business models where is the wrong-doing? Similarly if the employees act within their agreed rights under the law and their collective where is the problem there?
    Again, to my mind the militant nature of some aspects of unions have no place in the current environment, I'm not suggesting that employees shouldn't fight but chose the mechanisms wisely.
    On a related note, but not directly related to this case I've noticed a change in the last number of years in the way the employers representatives (IBEC in particular) conduct themselves, the latest batch of IBEC negotiators that I've dealt with are very familiar with law, case histories and business norms, it appears to me that they have tooled up very well, my hope is that the Unions follow suit. The result of this is that now when cases get to the labour court or deep into conciliation it is really a case of who has the stronger legal argument, and a lot of the "old School" Union representatives are ill-equipped to counter this, myself included (I'm not old school, but my background is not legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

tails_naf wrote: »
    Never a truer word spoken. I'm not saying everyone they keep in a job is in this category - far from it - but I don't see why they insist on protecting the useless.

My father is a small business owner who employs a few workers and subcontracts to the council. One recently decided to join a union (and this one guy is as lazy as it comes). A few days later my father gets a call from a SIPTU man, saying he wants to meet him to discuss increasing the pay/conditions of this employee. My father said its a no-go as he's barely keeping afloat as it is. Union man says (threateningly) 'I wonder what the council would think of what you are paying your workers' - and my father said 'I don't give a f**k what the council would think. If you want me meet me, I'll bring you up to the county manager and you can explain to him what he needs to pay me so [worker] can get the increased rate' - and of course the union man hand nothing to say, so backed down.

The crazy thing is - this was all following a previous call where my father broke down exactly the hourly rate he gets paid for this worker - minus tax, insurance, machine-cost, fuel, public liability, pension, etc - after all that is taken out, the salary being paid is all that can be paid - yet the SIPTU man still thought he should try pressure my father. Ignoring the economic realities as usual and pushing companies to the brink. I'm glad my father stood up to it.

I agree with unions in theory. What we have in this country by and large is doing more harm than good by encouraging mediocrity and demanding top dollar for it, and it has certainly cost many jobs by hurting competitiveness.

2 Points:

1. If the employee was "as lazy as it comes" why doesn't your father deal with that or replace him. In the present climate that shouldn't be too difficult.

2. The employee has a constitutional right to join a trade union but your father, as an employer, has the right not to recognise the trade union. If I was in his position I wouldn't have entered into any negotiation with any trade union representative.

(I'm speaking as a long term union member/representative and now as a senior manager).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

2 Points:

1. If the employee was "as lazy as it comes" why doesn't your father deal with that or replace him. In the present climate that shouldn't be too difficult.

It might not be difficult to replace him but its.far from easy.to sack someone. Case in point: a relative.of.mine runs a small business and discovered one of their employees had stolen almost 20K from them. they were advised that they could not sack the employee and should instead ask the employee to resign in return for not pressing charges and allowing them to pay back less than they stole. They were advised strongly that a wrongful dismal case could be brought and even if they won it might cost more.than the business was worth. nothing to do with unions to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

tbh wrote: »
    It might not be difficult to replace him but its.far from easy.to sack someone
    An employee can be let go anytime in the first 180 days without reason (except in exception circumstances e.g. maternity, gender, religion, etc.) Even after 6 months, the employee should be cautioned and informed of improvements required, timescales, consequences etc. If no improvement - dismissal.

I accept that dealing with a serious matter such as theft is a different but you don't mention the Gardai. They should be brought in, the employee suspended and let justice take it's course. I can't see how the EAT would need to be involved. If the employee is convicted the certainly wouldn't/couldn't take a case.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

We moved from our prefabs to a real school building a few years back, about 1.5 km away. Not only could we not claim disturbance(and why should we do so??)we had to close the old school one day and be in the new one the next, so spent about a week of evenings to and fro with the entire school contents.No question of being allowed to close or to get movers in.

Advertisement