Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords CC Club League

Options
  • 12-04-2012 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I know a few of you guys might be taking part in the Swords Cycling Club league, which starts next Wednesday. If this is your first time taking part you may be interested in this:

I will be holding an Introduction to each race circuit on the Tuesday evening before each race. This is NOT a race, but a chance to meet up and ride the circuits so that you will be familiar with each one. The first of these intro's will be on Tuesday April 24th. Meet at 7pm in Garristown (main street) and then we will ride the Garristown/Ardcath Circuit. This will also be a good opportunity to ask any questions you might have about the league.

Non-Club Members sign-on fee is €5 per race. Min. Cycling Ireland club competition license (or IVCA) required.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

ah the sat 8.30 group moves to wen evenings never mind stamullen this weekend the swords league is the big one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Bog of the Ring, absolute hammerfest from the get go. End can be messy so don't do anything too silly.

Nags head made for the Skinnies always breaks up going up that damn hill.

Garristown Ardcath great ol hammerfest esp at the start and the back of the circuit. Hang on up the hill in Arcath and you'll be grand. Nasty kick at finish.

These races are always harder then open races but a great way to get used to doing open races. Always great fun and good old bickering over handicaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Non-Club Members sign-on fee is €5 per race. Min. Cycling Ireland club competition license (or IVCA) required.

Nice one. Was just about to go looking to see if outsiders like myself were still welcome. Must get the licence sorted.

Still have my number from last year (I know I was supposed to give it back but I missed the last few races) so will I just bring that along on my first evening?

Cheers

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There is a limit on numbers in races being imposed this year, with priority going to Club members who have paid up the league fees. Last year we had large numbers turning up to the early races, and hence the cap may kick-in early on. It was a lot quieter by the time the summer holidays came round though.

Anyway, first up will be the Ardgillan Hill climb next week - hopefully my attempt will be a bit more straightforward this time (and I have 07Lapierre in my sights this time, having tied on time with him last April)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Beasty wrote: »
    There is a limit on numbers in races being imposed this year, with priority going to Club members who have paid up the league fees. Last year we had large numbers turning up to the early races, and hence the cap may kick-in early on. It was a lot quieter by the time the summer holidays came round though.

Anyway, first up will be the Ardgillan Hill climb next week - hopefully my attempt will be a bit more straightforward this time (and I have 07Lapierre in my sights this time, having tied on time with him or her last April)

We must not divulge revealing info about posters. Right to privacy and all that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    We must not divulge revealing info about posters. Right to privacy and all that. :D

Well said young man!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Certainly Brenda ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Anyway, first up will be the Ardgillan Hill climb next week - hopefully my attempt will be a bit more straightforward this time (and I have 07Lapierre in my sights this time, having tied on time with him last April)
    Try not to fall off your bike this year Beasty! :)

No chance of that with the new bike - I'll be carrying it up the hill to protect it ...

Technically it was not actually a fall,the chain broke due to poor maintenance or raw power :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Technically it was not actually a fall,the chain broke due to poor maintenance or raw power :rolleyes:
    I can confirm it was the latter. Pretty much the same thing happened the following evening on a different bike. I have learned to ease off a bit nowadays....

I will bring a drop of oil just in case :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Do you want me as team car again this year Beasty?

RobFowl wrote: »
    Do you want me as team car again this year Beasty?
    I prefer the assistence at the bottom of the hill, not at the top....

... anyway, you're riding this year. What's your target time? It was confirmed this evening that next week's hill climb results will for the basis for the groupings in the League. Joe is, however, open to backhanders (won't make any difference to the seeding, but will make Joe happier);)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

...I have 07Lapierre in my sights this time, having tied on time with him last April)

You broke you chain, fell off your bike and still tied on time with 07Lapierre ;)

Hungrycol wrote: »
    You broke you chain, fell off your bike and still tied on time with 07Lapierre ;)

Smartarse! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I prefer the assistence at the bottom of the hill, not at the top....

... anyway, you're riding this year. What's your target time? It was confirmed this evening that next week's hill climb results will for the basis for the groupings in the League. Joe is, however, open to backhanders (won't make any difference to the seeding, but will make Joe happier);)

Hoping to beat 5 minutes but more likely some where between 5 and 5:30.
    Climbing still attrocious I'm afraid ....

I believe Martin Irvine will be there next week, so the time to beat will be about 3 minutes! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

What time does one need to beat to avoid being last generally?

Edit: Thats aspiration for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

RobFowl wrote: »
    Hoping to beat 5 minutes but more likely some where between 5 and 5:30.
    Climbing still attrocious I'm afraid ....

Talk to me about this hill.....on the following points , where is it , how does it compare to the sutton side of howth and anything else you'd like to add

i'd like to see it before Wednesday but probably wont get a chance

dario28 wrote: »
    Talk to me about this hill.....on the following points , where is it , how does it compare to the sutton side of howth and anything else you'd like to add

i'd like to see it before Wednesday but probably wont get a chance

Here

Or here

Last year both the start and finish were slightly further back down the road (there were road markings just beside a couple of road signs)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

IF a fat lump like me can go up it 5 times in a row in the winter then it can’t be that bad. The first 150 metres is flat and then the road goes right and then left with a slighter incline. There is a lane on your left and this is the hardest bit of maybe 150m with a steep incline prob 10%.

Then at the houses it flattens for about 200m and then it kicks again but not as steep as the first kick for maybe 200 m. As you straighten its reasonably flat to the gates of Ardgillen and prob another 200m after that. Theres a longish drag to the end but not steep but you should be starry eyed and chewing the handlebar tape at this stage so feels like hell.

I’ve always started it too hard and have been told by those who know that it’s better to try and spin the start so you can keep the power going after the first steep bit. Of course losing a load of weight would work too….

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Had a go at it tonight, 5mins31secs, means I should be in with a chance of avoiding the Lanterne Rouge anyways!

Would agree with what Shaungil says you don't want to leave too much early on the really steep bit as I think alot of time can be made up on last half if you still have the legs for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Inquitus wrote: »
    Had a go at it tonight, 5mins31secs, means I should be in with a chance of avoiding the Lanterne Rouge anyways!

Would agree with what Shaungil says you don't want to leave too much early on the really steep bit as I think alot of time can be made up on last half if you still have the legs for it.

I think I passed you in my car on your way back after the climb. You looked ok so you'll be grand!

Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Swords League virgin, can't wait. The intro spins on Tues nights great idea for the likes of me who have never raced before. If i can just finish without killing myself or anyone else I'll be happy

Hi All,

I know a few of you guys might be taking part in the Swords Cycling Club league, which starts next Wednesday. If this is your first time taking part you may be interested in this:

I will be holding an Introduction to each race circuit on the Tuesday evening before each race. This is NOT a race, but a chance to meet up and ride the circuits so that you will be familiar with each one. The first of these intro's will be on Tuesday April 24th. Meet at 7pm in Garristown (main street) and then we will ride the Garristown/Ardcath Circuit. This will also be a good opportunity to ask any questions you might have about the league.

thanks

Just want to clarify something. There is no sign on fee for the Tuesday
    evening intro's...there FREE. The Sign-on fee is for the league races on Wednesdays. ta

Regarding Ardgillan, one thing to bear in mind when comparing times is wind direction. It's actually quite sheltered if there's a (westerly) headwind, until you get to the fast bit at the top.

Tailwinds are different though - you really can get the benefit of them coming in from the east off the sea.

Current forecast is for the high teens kph NNWesterley, which I dont think will affect times very much at all

In terms of approach, I always lose time on the steep bit (which is 12-13%), but can really ramp it up from the gates of Ardgillan Demesne, often hitting 35kph+. If you have anything in reserve it's possible to make up a lot of time on that top bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Anyone here know what time is this on Wednesday?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement