Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand National 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I think reducing the field to a max of 30 would stop the cavalry charge over the first few and might help reduce fatalities.

40 is too many runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

It is a very sad day indeed. I have been looking forward to this race every day for the past few weeks and now that it's over (and I lost a lot of money) I have this feeling of sadness. Not at all over the money but over what happened Synchronised and According to Pete. It seems as though my whole family are on a downer after watching the Grand National. Surely that shouldnt be the case, win or lose?

They seriously need to reevaluate today's incidents and make some changes for the future.

How ironic was Synchronised running off before the race! His last "naughty" run as the commentator put it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭newuser89

my girlfreind watched the grand national for the first time today
    she found it hard to watch the race as horses kept falling
    its a real shame what happened synchronised i really liked him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

newuser89 wrote: »
    my girlfreind watched the grand national for the first time today
    she found it hard to watch the race as horses kept falling
    its a real shame what happened synchronised i really liked him

My wife was the same. She cried when she'd heard According To Pete had died

I watched it again a while ago. Jacob going up the inside at Beechers the 2nd time actually gained the horse several lengths & may have won him the race. On the other hand he was lucky not to be brought down at least twice

According To Pete was still travelling ominously well when he fell & I'm still not sure how Cappa Bleu managed to finish 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Definitely think the numbers and the height of fences need to be reduced! There's no need for it the way it is at the moment, it'd be just as enjoyable without the carnage at the start. What's ironic is the BHA and HRI talk about attracting new race goers and unfortunately the only bloody race everyone tunes into is the national...between all te messing at the start and the loss of synchronized and according to pete racing definitely going to get the negative attention it doesn't deserve..
    On another note fences should be more forgiving in my opinion not only in the national but also in other chases..i don't mean making them smaller in the normal chases I mean how sharp the top of te fences are. I walk my dogs up at punchestown and sometimes the fences and hurdles are lying around the back..the very tips of the fences could be softened or coated with something to prevent cutting .. Simple thing to do and maybe fences aren't treated the same at each race course but again there's no need for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Jacob probably will get a ban for overuse but he was not too bad, I counted 9 from the last fence.

I think the last fence cost Seabass his chance, he was travelling the best and he shuddered on landing and was straight off the bridle, real shame.

First female winner would have made all the headlines but sadly it will be about Pete and Synchronised.

The powers that be could bring in a 4m 4 flat race as a trial for the race, if you don't stay then you can't run in the National, this would even it out. The other problem is the numbers, a lot of horses got brought down, at the canal turn a load of horses had nowhere to go as one horse on the inside put in a poor jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

hucklebuck wrote: »
    The powers that be could bring in a 4m 4 flat race as a trial for the race, if you don't stay then you can't run in the National, this would even it out. The other problem is the numbers, a lot of horses got brought down, at the canal turn a load of horses had nowhere to go as one horse on the inside put in a poor jump.

Id be asleep after 2.5 miles.

The Ascot Gold Cup is bad enough :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Don't know if I mentioned this before but Sunnyhillboy travelled, I'd blindly guess, a furlong or more than the winner and nearly every other horse in the race. Out side the whole way around....the whole way!

The moral victor. Crisp like. For such a little horse to give away so much ground I almost think he deserved it more than the gallant grey. I'm gutted for McLernon and Sunnyhillboy.

I know why they did it though. Sunnyhillboy NEEDS to see his fences and hates being crowded. Also, the drops are deeper on the inside so for a small horse he needed to avoid falling above all else. The right decision and a good ride but you have to feel for the horse. He ran a better race than the winner.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Id be asleep after 2.5 miles.

The Ascot Gold Cup is bad enough :P

I would not even watch it but would be a good test of a horses ability to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I dont think its the 4m4f trip thats the problem horses arent dying of heart attacks after the race and most of them fall in the first half of the race aswell so its not tired legs its the 40 runners followed by the fences imo.

If they had a max of 30 runners and for the top 1 foot of the fences had
    the haydock style brush hurdletype of stuff for the top foot it would still be a great spectacle but not half as many fallers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I had €20 each way on Sunnyhillboy. I almost wretched in the bookies

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thekid9

Anyone know how many horses finished the race?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

I had €20 each way on Sunnyhillboy. I almost wretched in the bookies[/QUOTE
    HAHAHA!!!!
    I had neptunes and sunnyhill ew so was win win hahah!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

thekid9 wrote: »
    Anyone know how many horses finished the race?

15 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

If anyone wants to view the race again I have it in HD. Download via torrent with this ink here

Need to know for definate as it was part of a predicition quiz our club is running?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,826 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

robbie1977 wrote: »
    I dont think its the 4m4f trip thats the problem horses arent dying of heart attacks after the race and most of them fall in the first half of the race aswell so its not tired legs its the 40 runners followed by the fences imo.

If they had a max of 30 runners and for the top 1 foot of the fences had
    the haydock style brush hurdletype of stuff for the top foot it would still be a great spectacle but not half as many fallers.

Youre just assuming there wouldnt be as many fallers. How can you be so sure?

Youre just assuming there wouldnt be as many fallers. How can you be so sure?

I cant be sure but if a 6 foot fence is only 5 foot with 1 foot of the brush hurdle stuff it gives the horse a foot of a leeway if it does hit the fence.

In your opinion do you not think it would work?

• Advertisement

I had €20 each way on Sunnyhillboy. I almost wretched in the bookies
    That's why your called angrybollix...I can picture ye standing there wretching in the bookie snapping pens and throwing at the tv's ye angry bollix

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

A 4 and a half furlong trial race on the flat? I've heard it all now.

If they had a max of 30 runners and for the top 1 foot of the fences had the haydock style brush hurdletype of stuff for the top foot it would still be a great spectacle but not half as many fallers.

I don't think this would make any difference, there is plenty of give in the top of those fence, most fallers are due to the depth of the fences and the difference heights on the take off and landing sides in my opinion, the other issue is having to take evasive action with bodies strewn on the deck.

Huntley wrote: »

Well there are 5 furlong races :D

Huntley wrote: »

You were joking though huckle? It would be hilarious...I can imagine the 4m version of overturn or celestial halo p*ssing it off as a front runner only to be pulled up with a mile and a half to run

I think theres 2 furlong races in America.

And if humans can run 26 miles on the flat why cant a horse run 4 and a half on the flat.:D.

I think theres 2 furlong races in America.

And if humans can run 26 miles on the flat why cant a horse run 4 and a half on the flat.:D.

And If horses can be handicappe why can't humans..usain bolt carrying top weight of 15stone

ste2010 wrote: »
    You were joking though huckle? It would be hilarious...I can imagine the 4m version of overturn or celestial halo p*ssing it off as a front runner only to be pulled up with a mile and a half to run

No, not about the 4m 4f flat race, imo if it irons out the non stayers it will make for a better race, this way you have the highest rated horses that get the trip and then the only lottery is the race itself :p

If there was decent prize money Big Bucks would run and sluice in.

ste2010 wrote: »
    And If horses can be handicappe why can't humans..usain bolt carrying top weight of 15stone

I would love that, I could run against him carrying one packet of Kerrygold and still lose by 3 seconds!!!

• Advertisement

A 26 mile horse race would be brilliant, it would be just like Formula 1 but watchable!!

Advertisement