Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offseason Cuts/Trades/Signings/Franchise Tags etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Gore's workload will go down significantly every season now going forward, he's picking up a lot of injuries. I would have thought Hunter looked good enough to push Gore for the starting position, just not sure where Jacobs coming in will leave him.

if there going to be a perennial playoff team they could give gore minimal touches every game to keep him fresh for the playoffs

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Honestly he is no loss for the Giants. Most Giants fans wanted him gone at the end of last season. He is terrible. The least powerful powerback in the NFL.

Cant catch, takes 10 yards to get up a head of steam, tries to bounce to the outside regardless of what run play is called, sulks if things dont go his way.

i can see why you be frustrated but as an eagles fan im glad hes gone when he does run straight (which didnt happen enough after his breakout season) he was a pain in the ass

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

nerd69 wrote: »
    i can see why you be frustrated but as an eagles fan im glad hes gone when he does run straight (which didnt happen enough after his breakout season) he was a pain in the ass

I agree with the pain in the ass bit!!!

Honestly he is terrible. Dont see how he can exist in a part time role either to be honest. To have any chance of getting the best out of him he would need at least 40% of the carries. Id be amazed if he were given that sort of workload with Gore and Hunter (who btw is a very exciting looking player)

Its just seems like a very strange move for the 49ers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Seems strange alright, not sure where the cap space is coming from unless its an incentives laden deal.

Maybe they plan to use him in 3rd and short situations or something. It will presumably mean the end for Dixon as a 49er. They brought Cartwright in this off season as well.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Seems strange alright, not sure where the cap space is coming from unless its an incentives laden deal.

Maybe they plan to use him in 3rd and short situations or something. It will presumably mean the end for Dixon as a 49er. They brought Cartwright in this off season as well.

He is a terrible short yardage back. Ignore his size. He doesnt run behind the pads and takes way too long to get up pace to get to the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

OK, in that case I don't really see the benefit he brings unless they are going to stick him into the offensive line or something :)

adrian522 wrote: »
    OK, in that case I don't really see the benefit he brings unless they are going to stick him into the offensive line or something :)

Your a 49ers fan yea? Honestly Jacobs is done.

I presume he will play well when we come to town but outside of that be prepared for lots of sulking, fumbles, failures to pick up a yard on 3rd/4th and 1 and an average yards per carry of about 2

I might be come across as a jilted ex. here but am delighted that he's gone.

First Aaron Ross is gone, now Jacobs, if Antrelle Rolle followed them out the door it would be the best offseason ever!!

Your a 49ers fan yea? Honestly Jacobs is done.

I presume he will play well when we come to town but outside of that be prepared for lots of sulking, fumbles, failures to pick up a yard on 3rd/4th and 1 and an average yards per carry of about 2

I might be come across as a jilted ex. here but am delighted that he's gone.

First Aaron Ross is gone, now Jacobs, if Antrelle Rolle followed them out the door it would be the best offseason ever!!

hehe ya looooooots of sulking its an art for for him

Well I think it really comes down to how much they offered him, assuming they were smart about the contract then it's a low risk sort of pickup.

And if it means Gore is fresher come the off season then all the better.

But honestly I would have preferred a Guard than another Running back.

the titans are in talks with the eagles the eagle want a 3rd rounder for asante samuel
    if i was the titans id take it in a heartbeat he's getting on a bit but he's still one hell of a playmaker

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »
    the titans are in talks with the eagles the eagle want a 3rd rounder for asante samuel
    if i was the titans id take it in a heartbeat he's getting on a bit but he's still one hell of a playmaker

Yea go some way to making up for the loss of Finnegan.

they dont want to give a 3rd because samuel is owed 9.5m this year

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827ec70f/article/lovie-on-upset-forte-its-not-about-one-person?module=HP11_headline_stack

if im matt forte im a free agent next year unless they pay me big bucks soon he's carried that teams offense for the last 2-3 years

yea way for Lovie to show the Love!!

I understand both sides point of view but if i'm forte i'm holiding out as late as possible and walking next yr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Teams can use the franchise tag three years in a row

Forte can hold out and refuse to sign but the team still holds the power

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Teams can use the franchise tag three years in a row

Forte can hold out and refuse to sign but the team still holds the power

ye but they have to give him a 25% raise every year and it's all guaranteed. by the end of three years if he's stayed healthy it would have been better off giving him a 3 year deal with options on year 4 and 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,520 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Cap room as of 24 hours ago. I'm very surprised to see the Seahawks with so much after signing Flynn, Eagles are in good shape too. Nice to see the Patriots in a good healthy 12th spot.
    Bengals: $20.5 million.
    Jaguars: $20.2 million.
    Seahawks: $18.9 million.
    Browns: $18.5 million.
    Titans: $18.4 million.
    Buccaneers: $18.3 million.
    Chiefs: $17.0 million.
    Eagles: $16.2 million.
    Vikings: $14.5 million.
    Broncos: $13.8 million.
    Colts: $10.6 million.
    Patriots: $9.9 million.
    Bills: $9.7 million.
    Jets: $7.6 million.
    Redskins: $7.6 million.
    Dolphins: $6.4 million.
    Steelers: $5.8 million.
    Chargers: $5.6 million.
    49ers: $5.3 million.
    Lions: $4.5 million.
    Rams: $4.3 million.
    Texans: $3.5 million.
    Bears: $3.5 million.
    Packers: $3.4 million.
    Giants: $3.4 million.
    Raiders: $3.4 million
    Cardinals: $2.1 million.
    Cowboys: $2.1 million.
    Falcons: $1.8 million.
    Ravens: $1.7 million.
    Saints: $1.4 million.
    Panthers: $623,000.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/30/team-by-team-cap-room-as-of-march-30/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Giants get Keith Rivers for a fifth rounder. Could be a really good bit of business by them, he came out of college with a big reputation but some unlucky injuries (and Hines Ward) have really hampered him. Think its a good risk by the Giants

OAOB wrote: »
    Giants get Keith Rivers for a fifth rounder. Could be a really good bit of business by them, he came out of college with a big reputation but some unlucky injuries (and Hines Ward) have really hampered him. Think its a good risk by the Giants

feckin giants eagles get a deal with ryan and giants are all i can do that.....jerks

OAOB wrote: »

So disappointed by this move from the Giants. They wont pay Jonathan Goff but go and trade for Keith Rivers. Rivers has not lived up to the reputation and i'd like to know what Bengals fans make of the deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

So disappointed by this move from the Giants. They wont pay Jonathan Goff but go and trade for Keith Rivers. Rivers has not lived up to the reputation and i'd like to know what Bengals fans make of the deal.

I think it was a price worth paying frankly , whilst Rivers has never lived up to his draft position , he has always started . He cant stay healthy but it is a 1 year deal and a previous 1st round draft choice picked for a 5th rounder . The Giants have a number of Linebackers who are ok but not great so this part of the team needs both qulaity and depth . Rivers certainly provides depth and may infuse quality if he rebounds .

As for the Bengals they should be delighted to get a pick for an injury-prone bust. Much like Castillo at the Chargers if Rivers was your own player, a $1-2m dollar one year deal would be about right .
    The fifth-round pick the Bengals acquired is the 167th overall pick. Cincinnati will pick three times late in the fifth round: They also have their own fifth-round pick (No. 156) and the Patriots’ fifth-round pick (No. 166). This gives the Bengals a great chance to add depth too

It brings me to the subject of the Giants pick in the draft if others would have views to this

neilster wrote: »
    I think it was a price worth paying frankly , whilst Rivers has never lived up to his draft position , he has always started . He cant stay healthy but it is a 1 year deal and a previous 1st round draft choice picked for a 5th rounder . The Giants have a number of Linebackers who are ok but not great so this part of the team needs both qulaity and depth . Rivers certainly provides depth and may infuse quality if he rebounds .

As for the Bengals they should be delighted to get a pick for an injury-prone bust. Much like Castillo at the Chargers if Rivers was your own player, a $1-2m dollar one year deal would be about right .
    The fifth-round pick the Bengals acquired is the 167th overall pick. Cincinnati will pick three times late in the fifth round: They also have their own fifth-round pick (No. 156) and the Patriots’ fifth-round pick (No. 166). This gives the Bengals a great chance to add depth too

It brings me to the subject of the Giants pick in the draft if others would have views to this

Its more the fact that they wouldnt pay Goff and trade for another LB then that bothers me.

As long as Giants dont take a TE or RB in the 1st 2 rounds i'll be happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

Its more the fact that they wouldnt pay Goff and trade for another LB then that bothers me.

As long as Giants dont take a TE or RB in the 1st 2 rounds i'll be happy

I think Rivers if healthy could be a very good player so for a 5th, its a good deal...there issues with Goff seem to be a different thing entirely

Funny when i was mocking the draft myself i had some versatile players left at some holes that the Giants need to fill in the first round(i know they are champs but there are some issues

-After signing Crocker for depth at swing tackle and Rivers in a trade , im discounting an OLB as Rivers surely will be equal to a first or a second rounder ....if not why the trade???

-At tackle assuming that Reiff/Kalil/Martin & Mike Adams are gone i am discounting a Tackle

-Running Backs , Miller & Martin are 2nd rounders and i think Polk is a ways behind them so i am discounting a RB
    -So i am left with a DE or DT or CB or TE

Discounting people picked before the remaining DTs are Crick & Brandon Thompson.

The tight Ends are Coby Fleener & Orson Charles

The Corners are a falling Janoris Jenkins & Brandon Boykin

The Defensive Ends are Crick again & Vinny Curry

Looking at footage of all of them the three that stand out are Fleener , Jenkins & Curry. Taking on their merits Fleener grades 6% ahead of Jenkins with Curry a good bit behind. When you strip out Jenkins headcase off-field crap he grades ahead of Fleener but Fleener is the safer pick and Jenkins having his head right is a big "if" . Curry can get to the QB and can play OLB as hes a tweener

-Overall Fleener is the safer pick at a position that is a bigger need at Tight End but has less of a value when drafting
    -Jenkins on talent alone grades higher at a more valuable position which is the Giants second need and is a riskier pick

so youd have to say theyll pick Fleener...i know there is Martellus Bennett but he would have to increase his value versus what he did with the Cowboys

I agree with you discounting an RB, there is lots of gems to be found later. Mind you if Trent Richardson fell to 32 i'd change my mind!!!! :D

You'd draft Fleener in the 1st round?

I'd discount fleener for a few reasons. I simply dont think he is worth a 1st round pick, Eli has never had and all-pro TE and has got on just fine without one and picking a TE would seem like a luxury when there are many other more pressing needs.

If you dont want to take a tackle fair enough how about a guard like Osemele? We need young o-line help in multiple positions.

The other position that could be a need is D-line. Tollefson is gone, Rocky Bernard and Jimmy Kennedy are still unsigned. If we lose all 3 we will be very light on the D-line beyond Tuck, Osi, JPP, Canty, Austin and Linval Joseph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Pats resign C Dan Koppen to a 2 year $6m contract which gives us serious depth on the OL especially if Light and Waters return.

If vets return:

Light
    Mankins
    Connolly
    Waters
    Vollmer

If vets dont return:

Solder
    Mankins
    Koppen/Connolly
    Connolly/Gallery
    Vollmer

If the vets dont return we will still have one of the best lines in Football.

Now in the draft we can focus on defense. The only offense need we may have is to pick up a RB in the later rounds.

just quick couple of questions on the pats

How did Solder perform overall last year. Is it disappointing if in his 2nd year that he cant break into 1st team regardless of who is around.

Do ye need a running back? Ye took the 2 guys last year (Vereen & name escapes me) and ye have Woodhead. Are ye not covered on all bases there?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,520 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How did Solder perform overall last year. Is it disappointing if in his 2nd year that he cant break into 1st team regardless of who is around.

Do ye need a running back? Ye took the 2 guys last year (Vereen & name escapes me) and ye have Woodhead. Are ye not covered on all bases there?
    Solder will be the starter at left tackle this year. They tried moving Seabass over there but it didn't work out, he is great at right tackle so that suits.

The running backs thing is a funny one. Kevin Faulk has declared that he is up to speed and ready for another season. Many thought he was finished but maybe last year was just a getting back up the speed year for him after the operation. If he is back to where he was before the injury(he is getting on at 35 now) then we are in good shape with our backs.

I think we will take somebody in the draft as well. This is real depth at RB in this draft imo. The other guy is Stevan Ridley who did well last year in his rookie season averaging 5.1 ypc on 87 attempts. He should improve this year but I'm more excited about Vereen who looked impressive between his injuries. Going forward thats the concern with vereen is injuries, hopefully its just one bad year and he can go on to become a really good one over the next couple of years. I don't expect us to bring in any veteran help outside of Faulk who is known as a leader on the team and would be great just to have there as a backup to teach these guys the right way to do things.

I was very impressed with Solder in his first season. He played very well against top pass rushers when he started (although he had help), he made a few rookie mistakes which were to be expected but overall he could develop into a top LT in the league.

Great progress in his first year and we hope he can continue his development but fingers crossed he doesnt have a McCourty in his 2nd year or worse have a John O'Shea for the rest of his career.

Running back is the only need we have on offense, possible an extra blocking TE but both are low needs in comparison to defense. RBs we have are:

Ridley
    Woodhead
    Faulk
    Vereen
    And the Navy RB who is on tour but i forget his name, he's more camp fodder/practise squad level

We invested 2 highish picks in Ridley and Vereen so i expect them to get a lot more playing time this year. Especially since we added two FBs, it will mean a different dynamic to the Pats running game next year.

I believe tho, we will have to add one more RB to compete (not a camp fodder player) either through the draft or a vet pickup.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think we will take somebody in the draft as well. This is real depth at RB in this draft imo. The other guy is Stevan Ridley who did well last year in his rookie season averaging 5.1 ypc on 87 attempts. He should improve this year but I'm more excited about Vereen who looked impressive between his injuries. Going forward thats the concern with vereen is injuries, hopefully its just one bad year and he can go on to become a really good one over the next couple of years. I don't expect us to bring in any veteran help outside of Faulk who is known as a leader on the team and would be great just to have there as a backup to teach these guys the right way to do things.

I think Vereen was more unlucky than injury prone. He had one small injury at the start of camp and missed nearly 2 and a half weeks of camp. That time missed was massive in his development and building trust with the offense and BB. He didnt really get injured after that...probably because he didnt actually play :o

I think with a full camp under his belt this year and we'll see what he is all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Marcus Cannon will also be in line for more snaps at Tackle, so we look well set on the O-Line, particularly if Waters and Light return. A young interior lineman is a possible target in the later rounds.. someone to bring along this year, with a lot of age at the Guard and Center positions currently.

Advertisement