Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miss Universe has a little secret...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

On the other hand, Miss Universe is a physical beauty contest solely, so if she looks exactly like a woman on the outside, does it really matter if it might (might) be technically argued that she's still a man, and lacking female reproductive organs?

How far does that extend too ?
    Men disguising themselves as women to compete in the Olympics?

It's "Miss" Universe for natural born women, not men in disguise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I think gay rights are just clutching at straws now to exist.

Gay rights are gay :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Well obviously the people whop, ya know, run the Miss Universe competition have a different opininion. Seen as it's their show, so to speak, I'm sure they speak with a tad more authority on what the competition is "for" than some randomer on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

On the other hand, Miss Universe is a physical beauty contest solely, so if she looks exactly like a woman on the outside, does it really matter if it might (might) be technically argued that she's still a man, and lacking female reproductive organs?

If I got surgery to look like a giraffe, could I get employed at a petting zoo?

(I'd make a great giraffe by the way.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Einhard wrote: »
    I think that the whole point of having having gender re-asssignment surgery and the like is because one feels that their mind is one gender and their body another, so she was likely never a dude in the mind. If she was, she wouldn't have needed the surgery in the first place.

maybe he needed a psychiatrist instead of cuttin his bits off?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

hondasam wrote: »
    Did you see the pictures of Jenna Talackova,the contestant who was disqualified, she is a woman. She has had surgery and while not born a woman she is a woman now.

her* face looks fairly female but the body in those pics looks like a malnurished man with tits. then again so do lots of female models

*heh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

wonder if paddy power will take bets on spot the ball carriers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=transgender%20competing%20in%20oolympics&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.csmfoundation.org%2FTranssexual_Bodies_at_the_Olympics.pdf&ei=r0SET_6VBIO2hQej5p29CA&usg=AFQjCNGObwCkvrKPtYevTkW8mhWOeDY8bw

TBF they are not men in disguise, it's a bit more than a man wearing a dress.

davet82 wrote: »
    maybe he needed a psychiatrist instead of cuttin his bits off?

Well, as far as I know, it's not a mental problem. People really are born in the wrong bodies so to speak. They are women but are trapped in a man's body or vice versa. It must be a terrible thing to have to endure, and if someone, with the help of medical advice and consultation, decides that the best way to deal with it is to have their physical presence re-shaped to fit their mental make up, then I don't see a problem with that. If it makes someone happy, and eases their suffering, why would I?

Also, considering the massive complexity of the human mind, I think it far safer to change the body to suit the mind, rather than going down the route of attempting to re-wire someone psychologically in order to match their body. That's a hugely complex and dangerous area to be tinkering with.

Well obviously the people whop, ya know, run the Miss Universe competition have a different opininion. Seen as it's their show,...

Of course they do, but they want to increase their ratings, get more viewers.
    TBF they are not men in disguise, it's a bit more than a man wearing a dress.

Only in their heads.
    Surgery and hormones completes the drag act costume.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I'd still horse the arse off her/him. Slut

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Did you see the pictures of Jenna Talackova,the contestant who was disqualified, she is a woman. She has had surgery and while not born a woman she is a woman now.

The name should have been changed to Tackle-ova after the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Seachmall wrote: »
    If I got surgery to look like a giraffe, could I get employed at a petting zoo?

(I'd make a great giraffe by the way.)

Well, if you looked and acted exactly like a giraffe, then why not? I don't think the kiddywinks would be too bothered by your lack of giraffe organs.

If men who underwent transgender operations to become women retained superior strength and size (obviously not all men are bigger and stronger than women, but it's generally true) then that would be unfair.
    If they lost these advantages, then it would probably be fine.

But I think overall it would be unfair to allow them to compete, as I'm pretty sure that the fact that the hormones injected as part of a procedure are determined by a doctor, and not by luck/genetic make up, would disallow transgendered athletes from major athletics events. Even though I'm sure they'd be given a "standard" amount of oestrogen etc which probably wouldn't give them any real advantage, the fact that they aren't competing with what they were born with would probably, and understandably, disqualify them.
    I might be wrong on this though, other people would know more about it.

I don't see the problem with a transgendered Miss Universe contestant: it's not like they have much of an advantage.

Only in their heads.

Thanks for conceding the point. Where else but in the head would one conceive of one's gender?

I have to say that the limited understanding that some people in this thread have of sexuality is pretty shocking. Our minds are far more important that our physical forms in determining gender.

Sure the transgenders have been allowed in the Rose of Tralee with years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Yeah, how dare they violate the sanctity of the miss universe contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

RoverJames wrote: »
    Sure the transgenders have been allowed in the Rose of Tralee with years.

Careful now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Sigh - the world is a sick place.

I mean I'd love a set of wibbly wobbly wonders but you don't see me going out and getting a titty operation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Sigh - the world is a sick place.

I mean I'd love a set of wibbly wobbly wonders but you don't see me going out and getting a titty operation

I couldn't afford an operation so I just got fat.

Moobs are great, they give me something to do in the shower.

And a related joke,

How do you make 5lbs of fat sexy?
    Put a nipple on it.

Also, considering the massive complexity of the human mind, I think it far safer to change the body to suit the mind, rather than going down the route of attempting to re-wire someone psychologically in order to match their body. That's a hugely complex and dangerous area to be tinkering with.

Well take Michael Jackson, was he a white man trapped in a black mans body apparently, point is how do you know who is genuine and who is just crazy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I don't see the big deal. These women would be fighting against the odds to win anyway.

Good luck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Well take Michael Jackson, was he a white man trapped in a black mans body apparently, point is how do you know who is genuine and who is just crazy?

Does it matter?

It's their bodies; it's their choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

This is going to be like a more expensive version of an episode of Maury.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Who cares? How does it affect you? If it's what someone wants then that's their choice. It's not for anyone else to decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

great bunch of lads , oh no wait....

Does it matter?

It's their bodies; it's their choice.

yes it does because i fear the unknown and want to react violently to it

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Only in their heads.
    Surgery and hormones completes the drag act costume.

you should probably read up on transgender and what it actually means, its not just guys or girls who change sex for the laugh, its basically a man or woman being born in the wrong body, and have to go through a lot to change that.

Thanks for conceding the point. Where else but in the head would one conceive of one's gender?

Perception and reality are different.

Michael Jackson thought he was white and disguised himself to match his warped self image... doesn't mean he was going to get accepted into the Klu Klux Klan.
    Our minds are far more important that our physical forms in determining gender.

Says who?
    Gender is based on the XX/XY chromosomes, and more simplistically whether they have male/female genitalia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Seachmall wrote: »
    I couldn't afford an operation so I just got fat.

Moobs are great, they give me something to do in the shower.

And a related joke,

How do you make 5lbs of fat sexy?
    Put a nipple on it.

You keep telling yerself that ! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Says who?
    Gender is based on the XX/XY chromosomes, and more simplistically whether they have male/female genitalia.

doctors who know more than you?

Advertisement