Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

paddy147 wrote: »
    I wonder that myself

I'm sure there are some people who are reading this in today's paper kicking themselves for paying the €100, I know I would if I paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

alastair wrote: »
    None - unless he's renting it out.

Ask DV there will ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Something about a mans home being his castle and that is was morally wrong to tax it. So by that logic, his morality is seriously eroded.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

hondasam wrote: »
    They cannot invoice unless I give them my details. You don't get an invoice for paye because you gave them your details. There is no point in going round in circles with you because you change the goalposts all the time.
    You are happy to pay, good for you, I am not happy to pay until I know what it is I'm expected to pay next year and the year after. Paying this €100 is like signing a contract without reading the small print and then complaining when it goes wrong.

You are on the register of deeds if you bought a property, you're on the stamp duty database if you pay stamp duty - they have your details already, or will as soon as they sort out a simple database merge with a couple of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Sionach

Looking at the poll on this thread and knowing that the majority of the people I work with didn't pay this charge I would seriously question the figures quotes for the number of people who have registered for this optional charge.

• Advertisement

Sionach wrote: »
    Looking at the poll on this thread and knowing that the majority of the people I work with didn't pay this charge I would seriously question the figures quotes for the number of people who have registered for this optional charge.

They must be dizzy from all the spinning they're doing.

You don't get a reminder for paye because it is deducted from source. You didn't have to register for that either.

I'm self employed - it's not deducted from source in my case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You are on the register of deeds if you bought a property, you're on the stamp duty database if you pay stamp duty - they have your details already, or will as soon as they sort out a simple database merge with a couple of others.

So why didnt they just invoice everyone from the word go then???

Why were we "requested and asked " to pay??

Horse before the cart (typical with FG).

We all know it's not that simple because if it was they would have done that in the first place. There is data protection laws you know.

You don't get a reminder for paye because it is deducted from source. You didn't have to register for that either.

Then why quote paye?

• Advertisement

So why didnt they jusy invoice everyone from the word go then???

Why were we "requested" to pay??

Self registration is a cheap and straightforward system - why wouldn't they they utilise it initially?

You have to fill in your tax returns, it's illegal not to. You are giving them your information.

Then why quote paye?

Eh? I pay PAYE - I don't get invoiced for it. I get reminders if I'm late. It's a tax. That's why I quote it.

You have to fill in your tax returns, it's illegal not to. You are giving them your information.

And...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Do you think that an Irish minister for the environment being in front of a portuguese court for non-payment of service charges is appropriate?
    If the charge is not payable, he shouldn't pay it even if it means him winning a case in court.

We all know it's not that simple because if it was they would have done that in the first place. There is data protection laws you know.

You read what the data protection commissioner had to say on the subject? It's happening right now.
    The Data Protection Commissioner, Billy Hawkes, has said his office hopes to finalise protocols with the Department of the Environment this week, for handling and safeguarding data that is handed over in relation to the Household Charge.

Yesterday, the commissioner said that no changes to legislation are necessary to allow for data collection from Government bodies and utility suppliers to assist in collecting the charge.

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Mr Hawkes said he has outlined his concerns in negotiations with the department.

I'm sure there are some people who are reading this in today's paper kicking themselves for paying the €100, I know I would if I paid.

Well Phil Hogan has a hell of alot of explaining to do and he owes the Irish people a full explanation for this.

After all,we (the Irish public) are his boss.

And...?

You are the one that brought it up, what was your point?

paye is deducted at source, self employed are invoiced. Where revenue is concerned we all gave out details to them.

Because there's something about property rights.
    A tax against your property can be challenged through the courts.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=property%20rights%20in%20ireland&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CE0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.citizensinformation.ie%2Fen%2Fgovernment_in_ireland%2Firish_constitution_1%2Fright_to_own_property.html&ei=Q2Z4T7GRB8eFhQfP9JSPDQ&usg=AFQjCNEwCH7kGwvRtKS43Yzge4LJRqXNUQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

gerryo777 wrote: »
    You seem to know a lot about phil's private financial business!
    What are you on about now?
    Like everyone else here I don't know the details of this private arrangement. But I do know that it it isn't involving a tax, which is what Biggins said and then retracted.

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »
    If the charge is not payable, he shouldn't pay it even if it means him winning a case in court.

That wasn't my question, but then again DV you don't answer questions, do you?

You read what the data protection commissioner had to say on the subject? It's happening right now.

Funny then my bill states that no information shall be shared/passed over to anyone else or used for anything else,other than for the purposes of the utility bill iteslf.

Thats my lecy bill.

Now I wonder if there could be a case against the utility supplier for breech of rules and contract??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

dvpower wrote: »
    What are you on about now?
    Like everyone else here I don't know the details of this private arrangement. But I do know that it it isn't involving a tax, which is what Biggins said and then retracted.

I retracted one incorrect word - not the fact that he himself, is refusing to pay for same services possibly as he's expecting the rest of his own country people to pay - without even disputing or disputing, but still expected to pay!

Double standards by any means - despite words used later!

what is? stop throwing out random comments. why are you so in favour of it again? This must be the longest thread on boards.

Then why quote paye?

Eh? I pay PAYE - I don't get invoiced for it. I get reminders if I'm late. It's a tax. That's why I quote it.
    So you Pay As You Earn but still get a reminder that you haven't Paid As You Earned? www.confused.com.

You are the one that brought it up, what was your point?

paye is deducted at source, self employed are invoiced. Where revenue is concerned we all gave out details to them.

One more time eh?

I pay PAYE as a self employed citizen.

I am not invoiced for that tax.

If I don't pay on time, I get a reminder. I then get the nasty estimate - which is not a prior invoice - just as you'll get a nasty demand after non-payment with regard to the household charge.

No difference.

Your details as a homeowner are available for any posted late payment demands from a simple database merge.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I see that James (I need tax breaks to help upkeep my 13 bedroom mansion) Reilly has come out in defence of his esteemed colleague. We're all in this together so we are.. Pay your way and don't be so unpatriotic, ya hear?

what is? stop throwing out random comments. why are you so in favour of it again? This must be the longest thread on boards.

The collation of database information to ensure every homeowner is taxed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...Now I wonder if there could be a case against the utility supplier for breech of rules and contract??

Your unhappy with your service?
    You should follow Phils example and not pay it! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Self registration is a cheap and straightforward system - why wouldn't they they utilise it initially?

Hmmmm, obviously it's not! You really have taken in all the government spin.....hook, line and sinker!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement