Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

alastair wrote: »
    Once again. I'm not defending the man. I don't know if his dispute is justified or not. I'm simply pointing out that it's got nothing to do with the household charge. I really don't care about his situation one way or another. I didn't vote for him, I didn't vote for his party, the issue is a storm in a teacup. Enda can support or fire him - makes no odds to me.

It is more than that and if it's not it should be. People who have paid should be outraged at his double standards. I voted in this government, am I sorry now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Biggins wrote: »
    I would expect him as a government minister - a supposed representative of the Irish nation - to lead by example and at least given his high position and money he gets anyway, to do things right and in the proper methods of addressing such issues!

After all, are we paying not just for him to do these things but also paying for his many advisor's and legal people to look after him also?

Whats the Portuguese news papers going to say tomorrow?
    "Irish state minister tell his people to pay their bills even of they have a dispute with it - but refuses to pay one himself!"

Should be interesting reading what the Portugal is going to think of this double standards!

While I agree with Your sentiments Biggins, for me, it's more pertinent as to what the IRISH people will think of hogan's stance...........and he's the pr1ck who called me non patriotic, because I didn't pay my 100 quid!!!!!

This 'man's' arrogance knows no bounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

hondasam wrote: »
    He is refusing to pay management fee, what is your point?
    He wants us to pay a fee/charge but it's ok for him not to pay for something he agreed when he bought the property. When I built my house I agreed to no such fee.

You're simply guessing that he's getting the services he agreed to pay for. Obviously one side or the other in the dispute is getting it wrong.

The household charge isn't a contract - it's a tax levied regardless of whether you like what you get in return or not - like every other tax.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Maybe they can determine the distinction between a private contract dispute and tax evasion?

So is the 100 euro household charge a charge or an actual tax??

You seem to know alot more about it than most of the FG ministers know about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

They're not taxes. They're nothing to do with anyone but a private company and himself.

Sure this household charge isn't a tax either according to a lot on here.

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    So is the household charge a charge or a tax???

It's a tax. Don't know how many times this nonsense has been wheeled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

So is the 100 euro household charge a charge or an actual tax??

its a load of b*****X

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Maybe they can determine the distinction between a private contract dispute and tax evasion?

As they can too with seeing a bill come to an home owner, who refuses to subsequently pay for something they are expected to?

LOL

Just look at this current debate!

Here I am arguing that he should maybe pay his bill - and your arguing that there are 'reasons' why he should not be paying it!

This is both ironic and laughable! :pac:

We have switched roles! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

He is refusing to pay management fee, what is your point?

Because you said he is 'asking us to pay for something he is refusing to pay for himself in another country'.

So, again, which government tax is he refusing to pay in Portugal?

Personally I'm refusing to pay the newspaper bill due to my house as they keep delivering the Irish Field instead of the Racing Post. However I don't see why this should prevent me being on the side of being tax compliant, as it is an issue between me and a newsagent who aren't government owned.

It's a tax. Don't know how many times this nonsense has been wheeled out.

You should round up all the FG ministers and explain it all to them then,because most of them dont seem to know what it really is,what it will do and how it will work.They are all clutching at straws when put on the spot.

So when will the revenue be knocking on my door or invoicing me in the post??

• Advertisement

The amount of times you have thanked each other is unreal.

Funny eh??:rolleyes:

Are you sure you mean 'thanked'?

You're simply guessing that he's getting the services he agreed to pay for. Obviously one side or the other in the dispute is getting it wrong.

The household charge isn't a contract - it's a tax levied regardless of whether you like what you get in return or not - like every other tax.

I really don't care whether he is getting the services he paid for or not, he signed the contract and is obliged to pay the damn fee.
    The household charge is a tax/fee/charge or whatever PH wants to call it, we are supposed to get something in return for it otherwise why should we pay it.
    The difference here is PH has received an invoice for his fee where I have not received any invoice.

dvpower wrote: »
    Let me get this straight. If someone sends me a bill that I dispute, I should take them to court?

This doesn't make sense. Surely it is up to the creditor to demonstrate that the charge is payable, and go to the courts if necessary.

You're not thinking this through.

Do you think that an Irish minister for the environment being in front of a portuguese court for non-payment of service charges is appropriate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, my first post this morning regarding paying this sham tax was an april fools, as anyone who knows me here has probably guessed.

There's not a chance in hell of me paying it.

Big phil looks great in the indo this morning, if that story is true then I find that his position is untenable and he should resign immediately.
    He is incompetent anyway as his handling of this sham tax has shown.

DON'T REGISTER / DON'T PAY.

You almost caught me there, for a microsecond i think it was:D

Because you said he is 'asking us to pay for something he is refusing to pay for himself in another country'.

So, again, which government tax is he refusing to pay in Portugal?

Personally I'm refusing to pay the newspaper bill due to my house as they keep delivering the Irish Field instead of the Racing Post. However I don't see why this should prevent me being on the side of being tax compliant, as it is an issue between me and a newsagent who aren't government owned.

The principle is the same as far as I'm concerned. He agreed to pay a management fee when he bought his property and now he is refusing to pay.

he signed the contract and is obliged to pay the damn fee.

The difference here is PH has received an invoice for his fee where I have not received any invoice.

Very well put and explained on both points.

dvpower wrote: »
    No. That was just spin.

You seem to know a lot about phil's private financial business!

So when will the revenue be knocking on my door or invoicing me??

Do the revenue knock on your door for the TV licence or commercial rates, or motor tax (other taxes not administrated by the revenue)?

And? I don't get an invoice for my paye or prsa - I get a reminder if I don't pay up on time - just as you'll get a reminder (and late penalty charges) if you didn't pay this tax.

I really don't care whether he is getting the services he paid for or not, he signed the contract and is obliged to pay the damn fee.

As long as his service provider isn't in breach of contract. Do you know that's not the case?

• Advertisement

And? I don't get an invoice for my paye or prsa - I get a reminder if I don't pay up on time - just as you'll get a reminder (and late penalty charges) if you don't pay this tax on time.

They cannot invoice unless I give them my details. You don't get an invoice for paye because you gave them your details. There is no point in going round in circles with you because you change the goalposts all the time.
    You are happy to pay, good for you, I am not happy to pay until I know what it is I'm expected to pay next year and the year after. Paying this €100 is like signing a contract without reading the small print and then complaining when it goes wrong.

Do the revenue knock on your door for the TV licence or commercial rates, or motor tax (other taxes not administrated by the revenue)?

When I bought a car I knew I would have to tax it.

When I bought a TV I knew I needed a licence.

When I bought my house 5 years ago,I didnt know I would need a yearly tax for it too.And a fcuking outragously high tax too,by the looks of it.

What did Enda say back in the 1990s about property tax??(say one thing but do the opposite)

When I bought a car I knew I would have to tax it.

When I bought a TV I knew I needed a licence.

When I bought my house 5 years ago,I didnt know I would need a tax for it too.And a fcuking outragously high tax too,by the looks of it.

You know about it now. Did you know about the USC before it was rolled out? Paying that?

Suppose this is why phil wouldn't take the voluntary pay cut like everyone else.
    These are the 'personal circumstances' he was talking about.
    Must have a big mortgage in portugal.
    What taxes is he liable for here on foreign properties?

This could get interesting.

As long as his service provider isn't in breach of contract. Do you know that's not the case?

You can say this for lots of things. Is PH the only person refusing to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Sionach

And? I don't get an invoice for my paye or prsa - I get a reminder if I don't pay up on time - just as you'll get a reminder (and late penalty charges) if you didn't pay this tax.
    You don't get a reminder for paye because it is deducted from source. You didn't have to register for that either.

You can say this for lots of things. Is PH the only person refusing to pay?

I wonder that myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭howsyourtusk

Phil Hogan is the best thing that's happened to the left in Ireland in years. The man is a complete tool :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Over all conclusion of the current Household Charge:

Its become comically farcical to a point where FG acting like Keystone cops, have made a right balls up of it!

It really is laughable - and would be so if in actual fact the previous supplied photo, sadly shows in fact an example of their arrogance and hatred of the people they are supposed to be representing!

Let us just remind ourselves once again (and feel free to share): http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8370/signals.jpg

• Advertisement

gerryo777 wrote: »
    What taxes is he liable for here on foreign properties?

None - unless he's renting it out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement