Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Competition for places is great but you're talking utter crap if you think Mullane should have to fight for his place on the starting team. Maybe if he has a few bad games then you might have a case, but has he ever had consecutive bad games? You could probably count on one hand the number of bad games he's had in his intercounty career.[/QUOts]im not criticising mullane personally its every position everyone needs to fight for their place even john mullane ,thats the problem how many times do i have to say it no competition no success, you must have a very small brain if thats the way you think ,if ken mc grath decided to play again you would probably pick him and say the same , your comment made as much sense as the county boards decision to give davy another year,think man think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

im not criticising mullane personally its every position everyone needs to fight for their place even john mullane ,thats the problem how many times do i have to say it no competition no success, you must have a very small brain if thats the way you think ,if ken mc grath decided to play again you would probably pick him and say the same , your comment made as much sense as the county boards decision to give davy another year,think man think

So you are saying Ryan shouldn't have played Mullane against Galway because its bad for competition? That's stupid, if we hadn't played him we would have lost. Shefflin in Kilkenny rarely plays league games admittedly a lot of this is due to injuries but is still first name on the teamsheet for them. Not playing Mullane when he is available would be idiocy of the highest order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

U21 footballers got a batin tonight. Only serves to highlight the problems we have that the best footballers are also the best hurlers in the County, at all levels. In addition to that, it was a very young team that lined out and Paul Whyte not being available was a major blow.

What was the result? I feared for them tbh Our underage football teams have been shipping some heavy beatings over the past few years not just against Cork & Kerry but against Tipp Limerick and Clare counties we were traditionally on a par with. Its worrying, especially given the strides Tipp are making at underage we are falling further and further behind and theres nothing being done about it.

I find it ironic that our seniors are as competitive as they have been for decades yet our underage teams are at a low ebb. Whereas in the late 90s early naughties we were making huge strides at underage and took some big scalps yet the seniors couldnt buy a win at that time. The balance needs to be drawn somewhere in between

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Competition for places is great but you're talking utter crap if you think Mullane should have to fight for his place on the starting team. Maybe if he has a few bad games then you might have a case, but has he ever had consecutive bad games? You could probably count on one hand the number of bad games he's had in his intercounty career.[/QUOts]im not criticising mullane personally its every position everyone needs to fight for their place even john mullane ,thats the problem how many times do i have to say it no competition no success, you must have a very small brain if thats the way you think ,if ken mc grath decided to play again you would probably pick him and say the same , your comment made as much sense as the county boards decision to give davy another year,think man think

While I cant disagree with hurler on the ditch ref competition for places and training,there was I think at least 2 training games that Mullane took part in the week leading in to the galway game, I would hope he was picked on his displays in those games rather than his name, However apart from anything else Mullane has proven him self as natural leader on the field and thats something that we dont have in abundance any more.
    In general though I think your right and no one should be able to just walk on to the team , but sometimes you have to make an exception in exceptional cirmstances

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

What was the result? I feared for them tbh Our underage football teams have been shipping some heavy beatings over the past few years not just against Cork & Kerry but against Tipp Limerick and Clare counties we were traditionally on a par with. Its worrying, especially given the strides Tipp are making at underage we are falling further and further behind and theres nothing being done about it.

I find it ironic that our seniors are as competitive as they have been for decades yet our underage teams are at a low ebb. Whereas in the late 90s early naughties we were making huge strides at underage and took some big scalps yet the seniors couldnt buy a win at that time. The balance needs to be drawn somewhere in between

4-20 to 0-02 very poor i think we were level for the first 30 seconds of the game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Hslaw wrote: »
    4-20 to 0-02 very poor i think we were level for the first 30 seconds of the game

:eek: Holy c**p not good. youd have to ask what purpose does it serve sending these lads down to Tralee to get that kind of a trimming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

:eek: Holy c**p not good. youd have to ask what purpose does it serve sending these lads down to Tralee to get that kind of a trimming

4-26 to 1-4 according to Munster Gaa website.

We can't pull teams out, that would be waving the white flag when the fact is that the talent is acutally there, we're just doing nothing to develop it. Restructuring is what's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

4-26 to 1-4 according to Munster Gaa website.

We can't pull teams out, that would be waving the white flag when the fact is that the talent is acutally there, we're just doing nothing to develop it. Restructuring is what's needed.

i got the scores off the hoganstand. it might have being the half time scores not sure. it makes no odds either way we got bate out the gate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

very sad is right so tragic when things like this happen

horrific thing to happen, i played against pa and his brother eoin many times, my heart goes out to the enright family, cant even imagine what he is going through, no doubt the good folk of aside/bcourty will rally around him. thoughts and prayers with both enright and walsh families.

deisedude wrote: »
    So you are saying Ryan shouldn't have played Mullane against Galway because its bad for competition? That's stupid, if we hadn't played him we would have lost. Shefflin in Kilkenny rarely plays league games admittedly a lot of this is due to injuries but is still first name on the teamsheet for them. Not playing Mullane when he is available would be idiocy of the highest order
    i can see where you coming from ,its your language or the words YOU use ,for example bad,lost,idiocy,stupid,the the big IF, it shows how negative your mind is even after the team had won,your afraid to stick to your own beliefs ,its called BALLS,there not just for scratching you have to use them ,

• Advertisement

If Ryan hadnt played Mullane he would be out of a job now and thats a fact. Thank god you are not managing the team is all i'll say
    i can see where you coming from ,its your language or the words YOU use ,for example bad,lost,idiocy,stupid,the the big IF, it shows how negative your mind is even after the team had won,your afraid to stick to your own beliefs ,its called BALLS,there not just for scratching you have to use them ,

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Effin Eddie is very entertaining, which makes that a terrible example. You'd actually listen to him commentating on Killenaule v Ballingarry just to hear him like.

Also if you think O'Connor is bad, try listening to Tipp fm's commentary. Sounds like they pulled a few lads from the mart who've a passing interest in the sport and know some of the players

Doubt Connors will be back. Obviously we'll have to wait and see if Prender and Molumph will be back (dunno what's up with Seamus). Tony will be back.

Lads Seamus played against Galway last week. Came on in the second half. He was never injured. Noel is nowhere near playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

There are serious issues with football development in the county. I appreciate most people on this site are hurling fans, but previously there had been huge development from underage up of football as well as hurling. Now it's all hurling. I'm sure the morons will come on board and bash football, but the fact is some of us prefer football and if so should be given an outlet to develop.

Anyway, this is the start of the problem. These Cork boys have been on Cork Football Development squads since they were 15. They've been playing together for 6 years by now at a high standard of coaching, probably doing tailored gym programmes since they are 18. Take it to us, our u21s meet up 2 months before Championship and spend the first few weeks learning everyone's names.

This has been the case for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

duinegorm wrote: »
    KOC is woeful! The ONLY time I choose to listen to him is in the absence of live TV/Radio coverage with anyone else.

"He takes his shot, IT'S A SCORE, GREAT SCORE BY ______, HIS DAD IS WATCHING AND HE'LL BE VERY PROUD, HIS SISTERS A PROSTITUTE, SHE'S OUT IN OZ AND I'M SURE SHE'LL BE IN THE HORRORS DANCING ON THE BAR LISTENING TO US RIGHT NOW." - Thanks for all that Kieran, when will you be letting us know if it was a goal or a point he scored. Christ!

I'd rather be listening to Effin Eddie doing commentary to be honest. I'd have more of an idea about what's actually happening on the field.
    I think you're being a bit harsh. For a start, you'll know if it's a goal because he always says "takes his SHOT . . . IT'S A GOAL! IT'S A GOAL!" As for the patter about the players, it shows us he knows them and their families and I think that's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

solarith wrote: »
    There are serious issues with football development in the county. I appreciate most people on this site are hurling fans, but previously there had been huge development from underage up of football as well as hurling. Now it's all hurling. I'm sure the morons will come on board and bash football, but the fact is some of us prefer football and if so should be given an outlet to develop.

Anyway, this is the start of the problem. These Cork boys have been on Cork Football Development squads since they were 15. They've been playing together for 6 years by now at a high standard of coaching, probably doing tailored gym programmes since they are 18. Take it to us, our u21s meet up 2 months before Championship and spend the first few weeks learning everyone's names.

'Easterly Gael' said in (blatant plug alert!) Tramore Hinterland a few weeks back that the Under-21 management team was only cobbled together at the last minute because there was confusion over whose responsibility it was to put the team together! Fair play to everyone who represented us last night but if what he (could be a she for all I know) said is true then they were let down badly by the powers-that-be

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I played on Waterford underage teams when we were in the middle of a purple patch. We had really good players, who more or less came along by accident. We always felt we could go out and beat top teams, and regularly did. If Waterford had won a hurling rather than football Munster U21 in 2003 we'd still be referring to the team and the impact it had on the seniors.

Despite the success at the time, the county board setup was still a total joke. I could see that every year we would meet the Cork or Kerry lads, you could see them getting a little bit better than you every year, as you were getting crappy coaching and were remaining static.

Current setup as I understand is that the selectors are appointed before Christmas. Just after New Years trials will be held. By the end of Jan they have a panel of 30 odd. By end of Feb this squad is finally cut down. A couple of weeks later they are sent out to face Kerry or Cork who as you say were training non-stop for about five years for that game.

We have countless people out of jobs, many of them good club or county players. Why can't they be retrained at coaches and give them a modest salary? I have no doubt that if even 40% of coaching resources were directed towards football we would be very competitive at all levels.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I played on Waterford underage teams when we were in the middle of a purple patch. We had really good players, who more or less came along by accident. We always felt we could go out and beat top teams, and regularly did. If Waterford had won a hurling rather than football Munster U21 in 2003 we'd still be referring to the team and the impact it had on the seniors.

Despite the success at the time, the county board setup was still a total joke. I could see that every year we would meet the Cork or Kerry lads, you could see them getting a little bit better than you every year, as you were getting crappy coaching and were remaining static.

Current setup as I understand is that the selectors are appointed before Christmas. Just after New Years trials will be held. By the end of Jan they have a panel of 30 odd. By end of Feb this squad is finally cut down. A couple of weeks later they are sent out to face Kerry or Cork who as you say were training non-stop for about five years for that game.

We have countless people out of jobs, many of them good club or county players. Why can't they be retrained at coaches and give them a modest salary? I have no doubt that if even 40% of coaching resources were directed towards football we would be very competitive at all levels.

Also played u21 a few years ago, and this was the exact setup then too. As it's always been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 johnfarmer

U21 footballers got a batin tonight. Only serves to highlight the problems we have that the best footballers are also the best hurlers in the County, at all levels. In addition to that, it was a very young team that lined out and Paul Whyte not being available was a major blow.

Didn't travel to the game. Expensive owl outing. Looking up the team & I didn't recognize many players. A handful from Balinacourty & Rathgormack and a couple from Clashmore. Noticeably there was no players from The Nire or Stradbally our two strongest clubs over the past decade. What is the situation with next year are many from the starting line-up still under-21? Clearly nobody stood up to the task as thered somebody have been mentioned so things not looking brightlly.

If Ryan hadnt played Mullane he would be out of a job now and thats a fact. Thank god you are not managing the team is all i'll say
    so if god forbid we lose sunday is he gone then ?

so if god forbid we lose sunday is he gone then ?

No. If he hadn't played Mullane when he made himself available and we would have lost he would have been sacked. You have to play your best players, we don't have the luxury to drop the best lads on the team to prove a point.

• Advertisement

No. If he hadn't played Mullane when he made himself available and we would have lost he would have been sacked. You have to play your best players, we don't have the luxury to drop the best lads on the team to prove a point.
    its not proving a point its being fair to lads who had jersey in first place ,so where dose that leave m,o,neill ,anything he done for last few weeks all 2 no avail ,soon as a lad decides to come back hand over the jersey,also most people on this forum could not slag eoin mc grath enough over the last few weeks, ken mc grath his brother ends up a selector on the team ,eoin in for a must win game ,and not a mention from the people who slagged him off suppose its because he,s kens brother then thats alright then

Of course its tough on Martin O'Neill but thats sport. I agree spanky shouldnt be anywhere near starting

Quote=hurler on de ditch;77848295]
    its not proving a point its being fair to lads who had jersey in first place ,so where dose that leave m,o,neill ,anything he done for last few weeks all 2 no avail ,soon as a lad decides to come back hand over the jersey,also most people on this forum could not slag eoin mc grath enough over the last few weeks, ken mc grath his brother ends up a selector on the team ,eoin in for a must win game ,and not a mention from the people who slagged him off suppose its because he,s kens brother then thats alright then[/Quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

hello lad's

i have being reading post on here for a while and decided to create an account.

i think a lot of people are worrying because of our poor performance of late.writing off Mr Ryan and co after a few matches. Jesus will ye give the man a chance you want to rally the mob and have the man ousted before the championship even starts.i thought the league was for trying out and fielding some players and to me that exactly what Michael Ryan was doing.okay it didn't work out for us.but he tried.i think we have nothing to worry about really. this new league system is very very competitive. and no team has being consistent even the mighty cats fell. we are under new management lots of new players still finding their feet. we got a well deserved win over Galway. and now we face Dublin who are league champions and haven't won a match at all this year.i will admit they have being very unlucky and should of beating tip cork and kk hands down. but they didn't no they face relegation.and now we hear talk of daily putting out a week team.be under no delusion lads the dubs will be gunning for a win Sunday they but i think we can win this game if we field the right team.we will be under dogs probably writing off in most peoples eyes... that will suit us down to the ground,

Im really looking forward to sunday it will be a cracker of a match and i know 100% we will bounce back come june :)

Question:

With the footballers playing Carlow Sat in Fraher, and the Hurlers playing Sun in Fraher, why the hell isn't there a double header this weekend instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

because our county board are a pack of Gomms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Question:

With the footballers playing Carlow Sat in Fraher, and the Hurlers playing Sun in Fraher, why the hell isn't there a double header this weekend instead?

Because that would be the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Is the Waterford Dublin game on TV on Sunday.?

There is no hurling listed on Setanta for the weekend and on TG4's website it just says live and deferred coverage of Round 6 of the hurling league.

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Is the Waterford Dublin game on TV on Sunday.?

There is no hurling listed on Setanta for the weekend and on TG4's website it just says live and deferred coverage of Round 6 of the hurling league.

Nah it's not

Question:

An excellent point. In a week where we've seen the shortcomings we have promoting football, this would be an excellent opportunity to expose new crowds to the football, but of course it goes unavailed of again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

egpower wrote: »
    That's the greatest load of dripping horse manure I have ever read. If you really think there are fools running the board (and you may be right) then put your name forward at the next convention. If you're not willing to do this, then put up with who you have and don't criticise those people who are doing their best. We all know there is no queue for these jobs - very few actually want them.
    Sorry to pick on you Funfair, but I feel very strongly on this. I am a GAA fan and a coach but I have also served as an administrator and it aint easy. We get the administrators we deserve / elect.

I have to agree with you. Its too easy for some to come on here and in other forums sitting in front of a screen or phone and give out about this that and the other. If they want to make change, and they can, they have two options.

the First would be to allow their name to go forward for a position as a divisional or county official come convention time. The second would be to get involved with their local club and maybe offer to become a delegate to divisional and county board meetings, replacing some of the tired faces that attend some of these meeting for the clubs. If you were to sit in at a meeting and observe what happens, 99 times out of 100 its the same people that offer views on everything. The rest just sit there say nothing, look at their watch and think how long more will this go on for, or maybe think to themselves, will i head to the toilets or outside the front door for my next fag.

Somehow, I dont think we will be seeing too many new faces on the boards in 2013, and the same people will be coming on here giving out about those that are carrying out the jobs they currently hold.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement