Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The Yes's are getting worringly high :cool:

I will not be paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

alastair wrote: »
    Probably because it's a stupid analogy. An obligitary suicide pill law would be contrary to the constitution, and the UN charter of human rights for starters -or put simply; illegal.

Don't worry, you'd still have flutes putting their hands out for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Mr CJ wrote: »
    Let me ask you the same question I asked dvpower as he was not able to answer it

This is a simple yes or no question

Can I ask you if they brought a law in tomorrow that states you must take a lethal pill when you reach 70 as the state cant cope with the health care and need to reduce it drastically, would you gladly take the pill when you reach 70 and object to anyone that diasagrees with it because after all this is the law?

Seriously, i can't believe you're going to persist with this analogy.

Household Charge is the same as forced euthanasia :rolleyes:

If you have to resort to these kind of arguments in opposing the charge, it only demonstrates the weakness of your position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

If you will allow I will answer that one. NO. But I don't see the equivalence between a new tax and a suicide pill.

Let me ask you a question. Which other laws do you feel justified in breaking?

Can I ask you a question now Dx?

Why did you fail to respond to me, and fail to correct yourself, when I pointed out that numerous times in this thread you stated that ' Sinn Fein in the North are operating a system of domestic rates'

You've said this numerous times, (admittedly I haven't counted, but I'd estimate at least half a dozen)

When pointed out to you, that what you were implying was far from the truth, you conveniently ignored my post?

The two major flaws in your statement being,

1, Sinn Fein DON'T operate the rates system in place,
    2, how can you compare RATES, where the payer of said rates gets something for their money, ie bin collections, council waste services, non metered water etc etc, to a house hold charge where we pay a sum of money, and get nothing in return?
    (serious question)

Could you clarify perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ghandee wrote: »
    Can I ask you a question now Dx?

Why did you fail to respond to me, and fail to correct yourself, when I pointed out that numerous times in this thread you stated that ' Sinn Fein in the North are operating a system of domestic rates'

You've said this numerous times, (admittedly I haven't counted, but I'd estimate at least half a dozen)

When pointed out to you, that what you were implying was far from the truth, you conveniently ignored my post?

Could you clarify perhaps?

We had that discussion before and I pointed out that I pay €280 per annum for refuse collection and I pay nothing else. My neighbour who lives in Co Armagh pays the Newry and Mourne council over £2100 in domestic rates. The party with the highest representation on that council is Sinn Fein and it has one of the most expensive rates in the North. I think I am getting the better deal at present.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ah.......... Yeahhhhhh.
    Bring it on.....
    The High Court have this evening granted leave to a Fianna Fáil councillor to challenge the household charge legislation because the legislation is in English only, and not in Irish. Cllr Thomas Brabazon argued that as the legislation wasn't in Irish, there may be an issue with it's application.

Brabazon, who's a solicitor who conducts much of his business in Irish also pointed out that the places name in the Gaeltacht were not actually in Irish. This was actually brought to Politics.ie's attention by Sinn Féin's Peadar Tóibín who this evening says he's calling on the Government to withdraw their plans to to levy the household charge by March 31st.
    http://www.politics.ie/news/high-court-grants-leave-challenge-household-charge-legislation-because-s-not-irish-180.html

This is typical of a government that has forgotten that 500,000 daily Irish speakers exist. Irish speakers’ language rights have been ignored by a government that is at best indifferent to the Irish language and at worst hostile.

There seems to be a reasonable chance that the government will end up with egg on its face with regards to this challenge. Not only have 85% of the population decided not to sign up so far but it now looks likely that the legislation will be unconstitutional.

The household charge is grossly unfair and much of the money raised will end up paying off private debt. There are progressive revenue raising alternatives that would raise equal amounts of funds if not more. The government’s plans to introduce the household charge are in disarray and they need to withdraw it.

Peadar Tóibín TD

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Mr CJ

If you will allow I will answer that one. NO. But I don't see the equivalence between a new tax and a suicide pill.

Let me ask you a question. Which other laws do you feel justified in breaking?

Thanks for answering that, so there are situations when you would break the law.

And why would you break this law? because its unfair and wrong.

Believe it or not this conversation or similar came up on the radio before with a person agreeing to it.

Now can you not see this new law is unfair and wrong to perhaps millions of people of the state? This law is unfair and thankfully we are not living in a state were you get shot for speaking against government we have free speach and what is making people so angry is the fact they are not listening to us! Instead they are going to battle!

We can only argue so much it gets tiring after awhile but we should at least agree that yes the state needs to raise and save money but this is the wrong way to go about it.

We had that discussion before and I pointed out that I pay €280 per annum for refuse collection and I pay nothing else. My neighbour who lives in Co Armagh pays the Newry and Mourne council over £2100 in domestic rates. The party with the highest representation on that council is Sinn Fein and it has one of the most expensive rates in the North. I think I am getting the better deal at present.

I'll think you'll find that I pointed out too,

You pay for doctor/a&e visit etc
    Higher road tax/motor tax (presuming you've a car)
    Higher VAT
    Tolled roads
    Ambulance/fire service call out charges

Also, you implied (intentionally or not) from your own post that ' Sinn Fein in the North are operating a system of domestic rates' that to anyone would look like you (perhaps on purpose) would like to give the impression that anyone considering giving SF a vote would prob still result in this charge being applicable.

Btw, Armagh council certainly doesn't represent all of the north. You could have quite easily have said the DUP or indeed the British Gov operate it. You however chose to target SF?

Ghandee wrote: »
    I'll think you'll find that I pointed out too,

You pay for doctor/a&e visit etc
    Higher road tax/motor tax (presuming you've a car)
    Higher VAT
    Tolled roads
    Ambulance/fire service call out charges

Also, you implied (intentionally or not) from your own post that ' Sinn Fein in the North are operating a system of domestic rates' that to anyone would look like you (perhaps on purpose) would like to give the impression that anyone considering giving SF a vote would prob still result in this charge being applicable.

Btw, Armagh council certainly doesn't represent all of the north. You could have write easily have said the DUP or indeed the British Gov operate it. You however chose to target SF?

Maybe the North should introduce that mansion tax which is being discussed in England. There are lots of mansions around South Armagh belonging to people with an interest in the local "oil industry".

Maybe the North should introduce that mansion tax which is being discussed in England. There are lots of mansions around South Armagh belonging to people with an interest in the local "oil industry".

Answer the question.

will you acknowledge that you deliberately tried to mislead some readers on SF operating a similar household charge operation in the north?

Also,

I couldn't care less about oil barons mansions in south Armagh tbh.

Are you just going to ignore the total lack of comparisons on a household tax, where ALL of our charges for local services and amenities remain in place with a domestic rates charge that once paid, takes over all other charges?

In lay mans terms, people inn the north pay once for something, but we in the south are expected to pay twice?

• Advertisement

Seriously, i can't believe you're going to persist with this analogy.

Household Charge is the same as forced euthanasia :rolleyes:

If you have to resort to these kind of arguments in opposing the charge, it only demonstrates the weakness of your position.

If your mind was open a bit you would see im making a point!! How does it demonstrate weakness?

On the contrary I had to ask twice and both occassions it was not answered by who it was directed to and the reason for this is they did not want to admit they would break the law!

All the pro's are so caught up with the law to me its beyond believe. They can write up what ever they want and you will say yes no problem we will do that... and you get annoyed when called sheep??? Can you really blame the people calling you sheep?

mikom wrote: »
    Ah.......... Yeahhhhhh.
    Bring it on.....

This is typical of a government that has forgotten that 500,000 daily Irish speakers exist. Irish speakers’ language rights have been ignored by a government that is at best indifferent to the Irish language and at worst hostile.

There seems to be a reasonable chance that the government will end up with egg on its face with regards to this challenge. Not only have 85% of the population decided not to sign up so far but it now looks likely that the legislation will be unconstitutional.

The household charge is grossly unfair and much of the money raised will end up paying off private debt. There are progressive revenue raising alternatives that would raise equal amounts of funds if not more. The government’s plans to introduce the household charge are in disarray and they need to withdraw it.

Peadar Tóibín TD

Interesting development. This is just a snippet from something on google.

Successive Supreme Court decisions found that the State must make Acts of the Oireachtas available through Irish as soon as is practicable, or within a reasonable period, of the Act being published in English.

So I suppose the question for decision would be whether it has been practicable for the Irish version to have been made available before now and what is the definition of a reasonable period. One for the judges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

If your mind was open a bit you would see im making a point!!
    Open it too much and your brain falls out.

dvpower wrote: »
    Open it too much and your brain falls out.

Dont worry I would not say that would be likely now in your case anyway

Only about a week ago the poll above showed 200 more saying no than yes now its over 300.

It will be very interesting to see the government getting even more desperate in the next couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

And why would you break this law? because its unfair and wrong.

Taxation is unfair. There's a new concept.

Can i get a rebate for all of the taxes that I have paid that I reasonably consider unfair?

drkpower wrote: »
    Taxation is unfair. There's a new concept.

Can i get a rebate for all of the taxes that I have paid that I reasonably consider unfair?

Are you new here?? if so I suggest you read every post before you reply with crap that has been discussed already!!

This is about a home tax been unfair not income tax, road tax or any other tax cop on.... Tax is important it has to be collected no one said tax in general is unfair.

I have to laugh this kind of rubbish proves they dont have a clue how to argue for this tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

The posts in this thread from the "Im not paying" side are really really disheartening. Some serious head-in-sand stuff.

Some of the usual points;

• Im not paying! Its all just going to the banks!!!
    • No, it isnt. We're only going to pay the interest on the money raised for the bank bailout. If we could wipe the bank bailout part of our national debt (or even our ENTIRE national debt, 75% of which will be non-bank bailout related when it peaks in a couple years) and didnt have to service interest on out national debt, we'd still have a deficit of about €10B a year we'd need to bridge.
    • I already pay tax, why do I have to pay more?!?
    • The state spends about €70B a year and takes in about €54B. Either the €70B needs to drop (cutting pensions, dole, 3rd level grants, public sector pay, closing hospitals/schools/Garda stations), or raise taxes (something sensible and stable, like a property tax ;) ). There is no choice in this matter, its simple maths.
    • Its a trap! Theyll increase it next year! Thats the secret they dont want us to know!
    • Of course it will be increased, we need to take these measures to bridge our deficit.
    • This wont increase the standard of public services or welfare I receive!!
    • Thats because the standard of services and levels of welfare are already too expensive for the state. We can only maintain those levels because of the loan we've been given so we can reduce the deficit over a number of years, rather than overnight (which I hope you realise would be a disaster :confused: )
    • Theyre taking money out of the economy with this tax! Theyre so dumb!
    • We need to do this one way or another (cuts in services and welfare, higher income tax). Its not a choice.
    • Im doing this to give the IMF the two fingers, theyre evil!!!
    • The IMF is lending us money at lower interest rates than we were ever able to raise ourselves IIRC, even at the heigt of the Celtic Tiger.
    • About 20 years ago Enda Kenny said this was an unjust tax! Therefore I dont have to pay!
    • Circumstances have changed massively since then, and it was something he said nearly 2 decades ago, come on

Loads more I couldnt be bothered going through. The simple fact of the matter is we need to raise taxes and cut spending. I was in favour of a property tax because having read up on them I found that apparantly they cause less damage to an economy than other forms of taxation, because its a stable sustainable tax that can be calculated and relied on each year, rather than transaction taxes that can be up or down depending on consumer sentiment or once of stamp duty from a property bubble. It appears this tax is going to fail so I hope the government choose to gradually reduce tax credits, by say ~€700 a year.

Would the "No" side be ok with that, ~€700 a year less in tax credits (as in, are you against this tax because its a tax on a home), or do you just not want to know about the deficit?

Are you new here?? if so I suggest you read every post before you reply with crap that has been discussed already!!

This is about a home tax been unfair not income tax, road tax or any other tax cop on.... Tax is important it has to be collected no one said tax in general is unfair.

I have to laugh this kind of rubbish proves they dont have a clue how to argue for this tax.

I havent argued for or against anything. I suggest you read just one post......

You might want this to be about one particular tax, but in order to argue reasonably about the unfairness of one particular tax you need to convincingly distinguish it from other types of taxation.

this one is for all the pro people, in the unlikely event they are successfull bringing this thing in I can imagine the happy faces on you all. When next year come happy faces again when your reminded of the charge and you have to pay €1500 great stuff this is fantastic.

You's are all crazy...

• Advertisement

this one is for all the pro people, in the unlikely event they are successfull bringing this thing in I can imagine the happy faces on you all. When next year come happy faces again when your reminded of the charge and you have to pay €1500 great stuff this is fantastic.

You's are all crazy...

It's already in. And when I pay my €100 in ten days time I won't have to worry about racking up fines and interest and being on the wrong side of the law. I will worry about next year next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

You might want this to be about one particular tax, but in order to argue reasonably about the unfairness of one particular tax you need to convincingly distinguish it from other types of taxation.

Other types of taxation=sometimes purposeful, sometimes stealing.

This tax=stealing.

It's already in. And when I pay my €100 in ten days time I won't have to worry about racking up fines and interest and being on the wrong side of the law. I will worry about next year next year.

Your very selective on the questions you answer.

Where are your links to facts and statistics to the relatively easy questions i've asked you earlier?

Are you simply unable to give a valid response because you don't have one?

grindle wrote: »
    Other types of taxation=sometimes purposeful, sometimes stealing.

This tax=stealing.
    In order to argue reasonably about the unfairness of one particular tax you need to convincingly distinguish it from other types of taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

alastair wrote: »
    Not at all. The tax is a 'household' charge - not a site charge. Put a rollercoaster on the site and avoid the charge if you like. If you concede that you own your car and taxes are liable on that ownership, then why should your ownership of a house be any different? If you don't like the taxes you can choose to not own a car, or to rent your house.

I will try and make it easier for you to understand.

1. I own my home and the site. My house does not damage the road because it does not move.
    2. I own my car but not the road. My car does damage the road because it does move.

I pay taxes on my car because the roads it damages and which have to be kept in good repair are not mine.
    I won't pay a property tax because my house does not cause damage and I already paid Stamp Duty on it.
    There now. Simple. Hope you get it now.

No point worrying about it you will just have to pay it if you register now.

The pro people are saying its only 100, next yr is irrelevant worry about it then. This is so so wrong this is the gateway tax, when more people go mad next yr when they have to fork out over a grand there is nothing they can do and it will serve them all right for not helping to stop it now!!

I pay taxes on my car because the roads it damages and which have to be kept in good repair are not mine.
    I won't pay a property tax because my house does not cause damage and I already paid Stamp Duty on it.

I wont pay income tax because my job/income does not cause damage. Sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Only about a week ago the poll above showed 200 more saying no than yes now its over 300.

It will be very interesting to see the government getting even more desperate in the next couple of weeks
    Not sure that they're using the boards.ie poll as their key metric.;)

Your still bringing up irrelevant income tax?

:eek:

• Advertisement

BishopDonal/Donalg
    Dvpower/Drkpower

Similar usernames with similar views.........

All very coincidental of course.

Sill, what are the chances.........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement