Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sherlock confirms that ‘Irish SOPA’ has been signed into law

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Aquila wrote: »
    Whats the face book page you are talkin about?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sean-Sherlock-TD/185032148201312

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Bigtoe107 wrote: »
    Trending in Ireland now apparently

Where'd ya see that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

We have hit the FRONT PAGE of Reddit already - Post, spread and upvote!!

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/qfysp/irish_redditors_need_help_the_irish_sopa_has_been/

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

ottostreet wrote: »
    Where'd ya see that?

http://trendsmap.com/local/ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Jeebus wrote: »

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/qfysp/irish_redditors_need_help_the_irish_sopa_has_been/

What's going on? Has it been removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

44leto wrote: »
    For now it is preventing me from pirating and I am sure others are also running scared, because I know my ISP knows when I am downloading media, that is enforcible.

But quoting news articles and youtube links, although now an infringement under this law I seriously doubt that that is enforcible.

It would be like the Ryan Giggs saga when he tried to sue Twitter. We will see I suppose.

no, its not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

krudler wrote: »
    no, its not.

I am telling you it is, I don't plan to pirate till I see the ly of this new land. I know a person who got a letter from Eircom before this new act threatening him with loss of service if he continued to illegally download.

Now other service providers will be compelled to do the same. At least that is what I think this law means. I hear there are ways around it, but I don't know,,, yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I am telling you it is, I don't plan to pirate till I see the ly of this new land. I know a person who got a letter from Eircom before this new act threatening him with loss of service if he continued to illegally download.

Now other service providers will be compelled to do the same. At least that is what I think this law means. I hear there are ways around it, but I don't know,,, yet.

Jaysus! A letter from Eircom!! Terrifying. They cant do jack ****. Tell them to fúck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Jaysus! A letter from Eircom!! Terrifying. They cant do jack ****. Tell them to fúck off.

Then you lose your broadband service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Can somebody link me to the new laws specifically regarding illegal downloads please?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Can somebody link me to the new laws specifically regarding illegal downloads please?

There is none. Thats the problem. Everything is extremely vague and leaves it all up to the courts. Its a massive blanket covering every all copyright potentially including everything from videos, music and images down to icons and articles.
    It allows copyright claimers to seek injunctions on any site who hosts the material even if they dont necessarily put it there (like people who link an image or video on any kind of social networking site) and potentially have sites shut down for it or if they go after the ISP sites can be blocked.
    Everything is extremely short sighted and if Sherlock believes companies with the funds wont take massive advantage of it, his head is stuidly far up his own ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I could never understand why shops could sell 100 pack dvdr spindles to the public, isnt copying supposed to be illegal?

If the police found copied cd/dvds in your home would you get in trouble? I mean if all you had where the copies and couldnt produce the originals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Jeebus wrote: »

You can totally post a photo you took of your cat. You just can't post a photo of someone else's cat, or a photo of your cat that someone else took.

Oh, hang on. Can I post that? Sherlock, can post the story about someones elses cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

From Eircom. At which point you go to BT, UPC, Digiweb etc, who haven't voluntarily signed up to a 3 strikes rule which a court can't force an ISP to have because the EU have ruled against it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I could never understand why shops could sell 100 pack dvdr spindles to the public, isnt copying illegal supposed to be illegal?
    DVDs can be used for data backup, home videos, photo slideshow DVDs etc. Plenty of people use them for legitimate purposes, most people who watch pirate movies/tv shows use external media drives nowadays anyways.
    If the police found copied cd/dvds in your home would you get in trouble? I mean if all you had where the copies and couldnt produce the originals?
    Piracy is not a criminal offence, once the DVDs are not for sale or distribution you would be ok. Piracy is a civil matter so not a matter of interest to the Gardai
    This new law has nothing in it which states ISPs must inact a three strike rule. Its worse than that in ways in that is forces an ISP to block "infringing" sites

Nick

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

yoyo wrote: »
    DVDs can be used for data backup, home videos, photo slideshow DVDs etc. Plenty of people use them for legitimate purposes, most people who watch pirate movies/tv shows use external media drives nowadays anyways.

Piracy is not a criminal offence, once the DVDs are not for sale or distribution you would be ok. Piracy is a civil matter so not a matter of interest to the Gardai

This new law has nothing in it which states ISPs must inact a three strike rule. Its worse than that in ways in that is forces an ISP to block "infringing" sites

Nick

Does this law allow for court action against an individual??
    Say my Ip address is found on a torrent (god forbid ;) )what could be done about it?
    Am I going to get a knock on the door from Sherlocks henchmen who then drag me off to the cells to be hung drawn and quartered?Or put in the stocks in Smithfield for the entertainment of others?

I mean if it only blocks certain websites theres ways around that or so Ive heard.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Standman wrote: »
    Can someone tell me why Google and Facebook, amongst some of the biggest employers in Dublin, have been completely quiet regarding this issue?

http://www.djei.ie/science/ipr/google.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

What will happen to the copyrighted avatars on this site (and the posters who uploaded copyrighted pics on SS facebook page, must they live the rest of their lives in fear of being arrested?)

I think because of the lack of info there is a lot of hyperbole. Give it a few weeks and this will have blown over. In any case, who will enforce this law and where will they get their budget?

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Does this law allow for court action against an individual??
    Say my Ip address is found on a torrent (god forbid ;) )what could be done about it?
    Am I going to get a knock on the door from Sherlocks henchmen who then drag me off to the cells to be hung drawn and quartered?Or put in the stocks in Smithfield for the entertainment of others?

I mean if it only blocks certain websites theres ways around that or so Ive heard.

This law simply makes all Irish ISPs block sites which are reported to contain copyright material. Thats my understanding of it anyhow. That Eircom 3 strikes crap is something Eircom agreed to, with no legal basis. In fact I have heard that it is illegal under EU law to block a users internet access.
    And yes there are ways (very simple really) around these blocks. The main problem is it won't solve piracy, but will make it much more difficult for legitimate companies, boards, ebay, google etc.

Nick

• Advertisement

That's for a different copyright review and doesn't directly relate to this SI

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The main problem is it won't solve piracy, but will make it much more difficult for legitimate companies, boards, ebay, google etc.

Nick

Thanks for that.

Surely the idea of this law should have been to stop piracy while making it easier for legitimate companies to use the internet for its intention ie as a tool (not the sherlock kind of tool though)

matrim wrote: »
    That's for a different copyright review and doesn't directly relate to this SI

Still outlines their views on the subject fairly well. I'm sure one can deduce that they weren't in favour of the SI.

omerin wrote: »
    What will happen to the copyrighted avatars on this site (and the posters who uploaded copyrighted pics on SS facebook page, must they live the rest of their lives in fear of being arrested?)

I think because of the lack of info there is a lot of hyperbole. Give it a few weeks and this will have blown over. In any case, who will enforce this law and where will they get their budget?

It is the site's responsibility to remove them. Individuals are in the same legal position as they were before.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Surely the idea of this law should have been to stop piracy while making it easier for legitimate companies to use the internet for its intention ie as a tool (not the sherlock kind of tool though)

The people in the government havn't one iota of how the internet works, Sherlock himself even refered to an ISP as an "Information Service Provider" during the debate. If sites are blocked they will direct casual web users to believe that they can't pirate any more. I'm obviously not going to say how to bypass blocking but a few simple Googles should show how.
    This new law could have boards or Facebook under threat in theory. If a user was to post a link to pirated material then the copyright holder could take the matter to court and get sites blocked as easy as that, even though its impossible for the owners of both sites to control user contributed content

Nick

Still outlines their views on the subject fairly well. I'm sure one can deduce that they weren't in favour of the SI.

I haven't actually read any of the individual submissions yet. I'm still working through the consultation paper, which I have to say so far (40 pages in) seems to be unbiased, even if I don't always agree with their conclusions.

The people in the government havn't one iota of how the internet works, Sherlock himself even refered to an ISP as an "Information Service Provider" during the debate. If sites are blocked they will direct casual web users to believe that they can't pirate any more. I'm obviously not going to say how to bypass blocking but a few simple Googles should show how.
    This new law could have boards or Facebook under threat in theory. If a user was to post a link to pirated material then the copyright holder could take the matter to court and get sites blocked as easy as that, even though its impossible for the owners of both sites to control user contributed content

Nick

And our data protection commissioner said on the Last Word (about the household charges site) that the site was secure because "they use them squiggly line captchas" that even he has trouble figuring out.
    I was sitting in traffic headbutting my steering wheel at that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Nick

Even deeper than that, if you make a video say of your toddler singing along to a song on the radio (copyright material) and then post it to boards. Under this new legislation the copyright holders have the right to block boards as it's holding copyright material, it's now written in law.

It's scary to allow corporations the ability to do this, we all know what the music and movie mafia are like, because lets face it, they will use it to block stuff.

And our data protection commissioner said on the Last Word (about the household charges site) that the site was secure because "they use them squiggly line captchas" that even he has trouble figuring out.
    I was sitting in traffic headbutting my steering wheel at that.....

Seriously, a CAPTCHA can protect against SQL Injections/other site hack attempts/exploits, interesting :P:P . And this bloke is the DP Commissioner, really shows what a joke the whole thing is. You'd think someone working in a department primarily ensuring digital privacy compliance would know a bit about the subject, especially the head of dept!

Nick

• Advertisement

Seriously, a CAPTCHA can protect against SQL Injections/other site hack attempts/exploits, interesting :P:P . And this bloke is the DP Commissioner, really shows what a joke the whole thing is. You'd think someone working in a department primarily ensuring digital privacy compliance would know a bit about the subject, especially the head of dept!

Nick

Absolutely. Lorg Inglip himself protects them all :pac:

Advertisement