Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sherlock confirms that ‘Irish SOPA’ has been signed into law

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Vent your frustration by getting #resignseansherlock trending on Twitter, Post your own message with the hashtag #resignseansherlock or retweet some of the others. The media watch Twitter, it will get our anger out there.
    http://monitter.com/?%20#resignseansherlock

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Robdude wrote: »
    Direct Democracy is nothing but mob-rule.

It's great when you are part of the majority. But it does nothing to prevent the rights of the minority from being trampled.

isnt majority vote how regular democracy works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Vent your frustration by getting #resignseansherlock trending on Twitter, Post your own message with the hashtag #resignseansherlock or retweet some of the others. The media watch Twitter, it will get our anger out there.

I see Anonymous are tweeting it for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Robdude wrote: »
    Direct Democracy is nothing but mob-rule.

It's great when you are part of the majority. But it does nothing to prevent the rights of the minority from being trampled.

Bill of rights.

Is the current system better in your opinion? Does it prevent the rights of the minority from being trampled? How? Does it prevent the rights of anyone being trampled when once you are in you are in no matter what for x years. Where when Xcunt passes a law there is no recourse?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So i take it theres nothing we can do about this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I can't steal media anymore,,I am profoundly sad. Damn you Sherlock for making me obey the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    From the Government that made you vote on the same thing twice because they didn't like what you had to say about it the first go around? HA.

:(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

dillo2k10 wrote: »

Print off a few hundred and stick them over the upcoming posters for the referendum with a big "Vote no" plastered across his forehead.

The mans an out and out wanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Print off a few hundred and stick them over the upcoming posters for the referendum with a big "Vote no" plastered across his forehead.

The mans an out and out wanker.
    It's against the law to tamper with political posters. Simply create your own, and place them next to any offending ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bigben121

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

44leto wrote: »
    I can't steal media anymore,,I am profoundly sad. Damn you Sherlock for making me obey the law.

you also cant post youtube links on facebook, copy google images onto boards or copy and paste text from news articles from other sites, one of those has already happened and two are a possiblitly under the new laws, it does nothing to prevent piracy at all.

****. The only reason I use Facebook now really is to post interesting photos and videos I've found. Well, guess my wall will be looking quite bare from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

krudler wrote: »
    you also cant post youtube links on facebook, copy google images onto boards or copy and paste text from news articles from other sites, one of those has already happened and two are a possiblitly under the new laws, it does nothing to prevent piracy at all.

For now it is preventing me from pirating and I am sure others are also running scared, because I know my ISP knows when I am downloading media, that is enforcible.

But quoting news articles and youtube links, although now an infringement under this law I seriously doubt that that is enforcible.

It would be like the Ryan Giggs saga when he tried to sue Twitter. We will see I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

For now it is preventing me from pirating and I am sure others are also running scared, because I know my ISP knows when I am downloading media, that is enforcible.

But quoting news articles and youtube links, although now an infringement under this law I seriously doubt that that is enforcible.

It would be like the Ryan Giggs saga when he tried to sue Twitter. We will see I suppose.

Unless you can see the future or you own every media company in the world how would you know??? have you read the announcement in the feedback section?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Please show your support by getting #resignseansherlock trending on Twitter, Post your own messages with the hashtag #resignseansherlock and retweet some of the others.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Overheal wrote: »
    It's against the law to tamper with political posters. Simply create your own, and place them next to any offending ones.

Didnt know that--I stand corrected--Do what Overheal says instead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Your ISP doesn't actually know when you're downloading media illegally. Unless your IP get's flagged by a media company as a result of torrenting or something. This law is only actually hitting the normal and legitimate users of the internet.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

#resignseansherlock is the hashtag guys, get tweeting!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Cróga

strobe wrote: »
    Bill of rights.

Is the current system better in your opinion? Does it prevent the rights of the minority from being trampled? How? Does it prevent the rights of anyone being trampled when once you are in you are in no matter what for x years. Where when Xcunt passes a law there is no recourse?

Democracy: the suggestion box for slaves.

There is no such thing as "the majority" or "the minority". "the majority" does not protect the "the minority". It does not do anything.

Only individuals exist. Only individuals act. Only individuals have desires, fears, passions and interests. Only individuals can decide and choose. Only individuals can harm or help other individuals.

Democracy is really about where many individuals initiate violence against other individuals. Direct democracy is just about making that more efficient. 2 men taxing [euphemism for stealing] 1 man is just as immoral as 2 men raping 1 woman.

I think the solution is the non-aggression principle. Stop initiating violence on peaceful people,in the form of laws, taxation and regulation, to get them to do what you want. That way if "the majority" want to do something then it should only effect "the majority". Don't initiate violence against "the minority" to get them to go along with what "the majority" wants. This is how we protect "the minority".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Can someone tell me why Google and Facebook, amongst some of the biggest employers in Dublin, have been completely quiet regarding this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Standman wrote: »
    Can someone tell me why Google and Facebook, amongst some of the biggest employers in Dublin, have been completely quiet regarding this issue?

Possibly because it has been blown out of proportion?

The SS Facebook page is very funny, its at this stage pre the passing of this piece of legislation I would ref a youtube clip on the rent a mob from Blazing Saddles and compare it to his page. Oh wait, I still can :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Please upvote this thread on Reddit - creating an account takes seconds and could drum a LOT of support.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/qfysp/irish_redditors_need_help_the_irish_sopa_has_been/

omerin wrote: »
    Possibly because it has been blown out of proportion?

The SS Facebook page is very funny, its at this stage pre the passing of this piece of legislation I would ref a youtube clip on the rent a mob from Blazing Saddles and compare it to his page. Oh wait, I still can :)

That's what I was thinking. Surely if this law is as bad as people are saying it is then these two companies would at the very least made a statement against it. Look at their reaction to SOPA in the US compared to their reaction (or lack of it) to this law in Ireland.

That's what I was thinking. Surely if this law is as bad as people are saying it is then these two companies would at the very least made a statement against it. Look at their reaction to SOPA in the US compared to their reaction (or lack of it) to this law in Ireland.

The Irish market is negligible compared to the American.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

Cróga wrote: »
    Democracy: the suggestion box for slaves.

Off to a great start.
    Cróga wrote: »
    2 men taxing [euphemism for stealing] 1 man is just as immoral as 2 men raping 1 woman.

I'll just let this speak for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

ottostreet wrote: »
    #resignseansherlock is the hashtag guys, get tweeting!

Trending in Ireland now apparently

Jeebus wrote: »
    The Irish market is negligible compared to the American.

It's enough of a market for them to release a simple statement about the issue, which they haven't done to my knowledge.

• Advertisement

It's enough of a market for them to release a simple statement about the issue, which they haven't done to my knowledge.

Not really - it's really negligible. There's 5 million people here. More in Greater Manchester. It would be rare for them to release a statement like that, and certainly not for a law for which the full implications are, as of yet, impossible to perceive.

Advertisement