Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sherlock confirms that ‘Irish SOPA’ has been signed into law

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

danniemcq wrote: »
    screen grab is needed

Screen grabs are easy to fake ;) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

they can also be easy to spot when faked.

forwarding won't work either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

screen grab is needed
    Screen grabs are easy to fake ;) :P
    they can also be easy to spot when faked.

forwarding won't work either
    I sent an email the day before and still haven't got a reply?! I can't really imagine a member of government replying to an email in such a manner...

I call shenanigans on this one.

pic removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

So you expect us to believe that a TD's official email address is an @hotmail.com address?

I think you'll find it's sean.sherlock@oireachtas.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Looks a bit suspicious alright. He is allowed have personal email addresses though but why would he reply from them?

• Advertisement

ottostreet wrote: »
    Looks a bit suspicious alright. He is allowed have personal email addresses though but why would he reply from them?
    He wouldn't.

And RoyalMarine, the folder name you blanked out in your grab is listed 3/4 other times in your other folder settings :D

smash wrote: »
    So you expect us to believe that a TD's official email address is an @hotmail.com address?

I think you'll find it's sean.sherlock@oireachtas.ie

im not asking anyone to believe anything.

I sent a message to him on his website.

received that reply.

and posted it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Probably forwards his official emails on to his hotmail account so he gets them on his iPhone.

Id imagine theres a reason why official government emails dont normally go to iPhones...

smash wrote: »
    He wouldn't.

And RoyalMarine, the folder name you blanked out in your grab is listed 3/4 other times in your other folder settings :D

balls.......

ha cheers.

So, is that it? Can anything be done to reverse this happening, or is it too late?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Doesn't matter either way. Prepare yourself Royal Marine to be signed up to every piece of shit online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Doesn't matter either way. Prepare yourself Royal Marine to be signed up to every piece of shit online.

Fortunately spam filters exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Aquila wrote: »
    So much for democracy.....
    Oh wait some of us voted him in :(

I voted for him. :( He was elected on the first count in Cork East, if I recall. He's very popular in Mallow.....well, at least he was before this fiasco.

I'm not too familiar with the intricacies of the actual bill itself but I'm very disappointed with the decision to ignore an 80,000 strong petition and sign it into law with minimum fuss. Feel very let down by him and the party I voted for. :(

Well some people voted him in, but nobody voted for the position he was given in office.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

looks like ould seanie is a boardsie!
    squod wrote: »
    Which one I wonder?
    I know who it is actually, it's ********

Ah, fook. The Sherlock filter on my laptop won't let me type it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pocpaul

80K petition signatures completely ignored, we vote them in and then they don't listen to us. He wants to stop piracy and block sites, everyone knows how easy it is to set up a seedbox and proxy which makes this a joke for piracy. the backlash will be harsh on this with the censorship and restriction of content of many sites like facebook youtube and twitter and even complete takedowns... it will snowball out of control cause he has none over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Go to the rugby forum and look what it's done. This site will suffer if the law stays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I voted for him. :( He was elected on the first count in Cork East, if I recall. He's very popular in Mallow.....well, at least he was before this fiasco.

I'm not too familiar with the intricacies of the actual bill itself but I'm very disappointed with the decision to ignore an 80,000 strong petition and sign it into law with minimum fuss. Feel very let down by him and the party I voted for. :(

He is for keeping mallow hospital open and now he's claiming credit for work 30 years overdue to be started on the N72 when we havn't 2 cents to rub together. I voted for him too, not #1. Thing is you hear about clueless US "series of tubes" senators passing laws for the copyright lobby but I'd never have expected to find one on my home turf, or had any indication that he'd do such a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

#resignseansherlock will be trending on twitter soon

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    #resignseansherlock will be trending on twitter soon

Fingers crossed anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Just one more reason why I believe Direct Democracy is the only way forward if politics in this country is ever to be of the people, by the people and for the people to paraphrase that stovepipe hat model guy. If DD was in place now not only would Shitbag Sherlock be facing a recall election right now and be getting dumped out of the Dail but an initiative could easily be successfully brought forward to have the statute struck.

DD my friends, good for boobs, good for politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

#resignseansherlock is doing well, need more retweeters
    http://monitter.com/?%20#resignseansherlock

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Petition: http://stopsopaireland.com/

Watch the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q9jcLXvkBs&feature=g-u&context=G2499c1aFUAAAAAAAAAA

His email: sean.sherlock@oireachtas.ie

And the letter to send:
    Dear Minster Sean Sherlock.

Yesterday Thursday March 1st you signed off on an Internet anti-piracy law using a statutory instrument that has been dubbed the Irish SOPA. Even though millions of people around the world protested against such a law and SOPA, PIPA and ACTA were defeated. For some reason you thought it would be a good idea to ignore the cries of the majority of Internet users including the people who elected you, the 80,000 Irish people who protested against it and instead you listened to a rich minority of corporate big wigs in the music and film industry.

The law is so vague that it's hard to say what qualifies as a transgression. For example if I am at a wedding and I use my phone to film 30 seconds of the bride and groom on the dance floor. I then share it with my friends on Facebook only to receive a strike from my ISP or a fine or Facebook could be even be sued because of the copyrighted material I just uploaded. I'm of course referring to the background music that was playing while they were dancing. This is what this law is capable of doing and the Irish courts will be at the mercy of the corporations and rights holders. I will remind you that the concept of governments being controlled by corporations is one of the definitions of fascism.

So obviously Facebook, who have offices here in Ireland and employ a couple of hundred people and want to double their Dublin-based workforce aren't going to take the risk of being sued constantly. I mean how many times do people share a link or a picture on their Facebook wall that someone else owns? Every second of every day. Facebook Ireland won't be sustainable. They'll get in trouble and the courts run by a bunch of old out-of-touch guys will force ISPs to block Facebook and indeed Twitter for the same reasons. Facebook will leave Ireland and Irish people will lose jobs.

Internet users in Ireland and indeed around the world spend most of their time on social networking sites. They contain massive amounts of content that either does breach copyright or because of the vagueness of the law could be interpreted to be doing so and they will all be blocked. Wikipedia will also be an easy target. They have already protested fervently against such laws. Why would anyone use the Internet if they lack access to the web's most popular sites?

All of this is being done in broad brush stroke legislation that has been implemented to prevent websites like The Pirate Bay and others from being used. Fair enough if thats what they wish to do I won't argue. But the way in which this is being done, will (A) not do that at all because pirates will circumvent that easily enough, (B) it's actually effecting innocent oblivious users going about their day who are not criminals. This is the end of social networking in Ireland and I've spoken previously, about how social networking has become a pivotal tool in rallying people together globally to create civil society groups and transnational solidarity networks. The occupy movement could not have been organised without social networking, it has become not only a crucial instrument for business but also for democracy. It pushes across boundaries as the Internet was designed to do. Under SOPA, freedom of information and free speech are all gone because forums can be closed too for the same reason.

This is so silly it destroys the Internet and makes it unusable. This is going to scare away foreign investment to Ireland. Google have their European headquarters in Dublin, they'll be one of the biggest 'offenders' of this law and they'll leave the country.
    The nation is in a really bad state economically and we've picked this time to introduce a draconian law that will put many Irish people out of work and fracture Ireland off from the rest of the world. Minister Sherlock you speak in riddles of political rhetoric when you say this is being introduced to create innovation in the IT industry. Ironically it will destroy our knowledge economy and kill innovation.

I'm ashamed to be Irish today, I'm embarrassed when talking to foreigners about this because it makes Ireland seem backwards and stupid. All this because you believed that if you introduced this that it would put Ireland at the forefront of the fight against piracy. You were naive enough to be seduced and manipulated by the film TV and music industries who baffled you with their corporate propaganda....

....and for what? So that they can protect their out of date business models? You have presided over a dark day in the history of Irish democracy and we the people will not tolerate this or comply with the consequences of this law.

Sincerely.
    Disappointed.

Please support this as this law is a joke.

Video and letter done by LACK78.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Wait a minute.. that was a blatant handball by Henry

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Niall0001

strobe wrote: »
    Just one more reason why I believe Direct Democracy is the only way forward if politics in this country is ever to be of the people, by the people and for the people to paraphrase that stovepipe hat model guy. If DD was in place now not only would Shitbag Sherlock be facing a recall election right now and be getting dumped out of the Dail but an initiative could easily be successfully brought forward to have the statute struck.

DD my friends, good for boobs, good for politics.

I've been approached recently about doing a website promoting this exact concept. Watch this space...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Niall0001 wrote: »
    I've been approached recently about doing a website promoting this exact concept. Watch this space...
    this is why I love the internet and why it should not be taken over and restricted by corporate interests, good luck with the project!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Niall0001

this is why I love the internet and why it should not be taken over and restricted by corporate interests, good luck with the project!

Gets 320 Google searches per month on this wee island. Decent amount, but next to nothing if you consider that 60,500 people every month are Googling 'Direct Democracy' from (in order) USA, Canada & the UK.

People are waking up. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Direct Democracy is nothing but mob-rule.

It's great when you are part of the majority. But it does nothing to prevent the rights of the minority from being trampled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Robdude wrote: »
    Direct Democracy is nothing but mob-rule.

It's great when you are part of the majority. But it does nothing to prevent the rights of the minority from being trampled.

The majority have their say in an election either way - maybe an official petition system should be brought in to counter this sort of thing happening - say a certain percentage of the population (can be 25% or any set level) would have to sign it in order to force the minister in question to refer the law or SI to independent or some form of consultation or public vote?

im not sure if it would work either though - it has the potential to add a extra layer of beaurocracy to our government and also slow any good legislation plus it could be open to abuse by lobbyists (just look at how the petition system works in the state of california and how it has been abused)

Advertisement