Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art / crafts courses/ events you would recommend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

What exactly could you make in an hour? For example could you teach me to make a cushion from scratch and would you provide all materials?

Just to say I would be very interested in lessons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gep2011

where abouts are you located?

22 Drury Street, Dublin 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gep2011

What exactly could you make in an hour? For example could you teach me to make a cushion from scratch and would you provide all materials?

Just to say I would be very interested in lessons

The time it takes for a person to learn varies, some are more quick to pick it up and others may take longer which is why a one-to-one class is very beneficial. It also depends on how thorough you want the lesson.

I would like to say that you could learn to make a cushion from scratch in one hour but it would be rather unrealistic. You couldn't learn to play the piano perfectly in one hour either.

As an example a cushion can have details like a frill, self covered cord trim, store bought cord trim, corner tassles, button closure or zip closure. Openings can be placed centre or along a main seam. There's a lot to learn but the student gets to control this which is why it's fun.

The €25 covers costs in learning the basics; threads, practice fabric etc. For the final project the student has the option in using their own materials or buying their own. The above also explains why the final project is left to the student since the project itself can be so customised. Part of learning how to make something from scratch is to source the materials. It would be no good if you learned everything but then went home and realised you had no idea where to get anything to do it on your own!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

For anyone in Kerry over the Summer. I took my 5 year old to art classes in the artists retreat in Ballinskelligs Cill Rialaig recently. 15 euros for 90 mins including materials for the first class and 12.50 for the second. The teachers giving the classes were lovely and she really enjoyed it.
    Also the gallery cafe has lovely cake. Well worth the money for entertainment on a rainy day. They also run classes for older and younger kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cabuya

Hello,

I'm looking for silver jewelery making classes in Dublin. Does anyone know of any?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 cardartkilcoole

Creative Card Making Workshops

Sunday the 25th of September

In The Park View Hotel

Newtownmountkennedy Co Wicklow

Time 10.00 to 6.00

Theme for September Baby Bliss

This month we will make 6 projects for New Babies,

Christening, and Young Children Birthdays.

Some of the cards will be pop-out, pop-ups, unusual designs with movement,
    All kits come with full instructions.

Places limited, please email me Here to book in
    Full details are on my blog HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 1 philipstonemad

Anyone out there interested in learning stone and carving? I'm running workshops at my studio in co tipp, the next one is this coming weekend. I'm trying to figure out if there's enough demand to run evening classes again this winter. I've done them for the last few years in stone carving and copper smithing. If you'd like any information, send me a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

A bit confused ... how is the stone carving post classed as advertising and the one for the card workshop and acrylic painting not - they've all been posted by people promoting their own event - not a recommendation. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

A bit confused ... how is the stone carving post classed as advertising and the one for the card workshop and acrylic painting not - they've all been posted by people promoting their own event - not a recommendation. :rolleyes:

Boxercreations, if you have an issue - please send me a PM. The post was edited to remove contact details (not allowed to be posted). I have spoken with cardartkilcoole previously and they are happy to post within the rules of the charter - which is great. Stone carving classes is also fine to post about - but the charter of boards.ie does not allow people signing up with the sole intention of directly advertising. As a Moderator of Arts and Crafts, I use my discretion and choose to allow these posts, but not post direct urls or personal phone numbers.

I think it is in the interest of people on this forum to know that these events are taking place. I am trying to work within the charter myself. Any issues as I said, feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

I thought it would be useful to put together a list of craft fairs around the country. Here's all the ones I know about, and maybe other people might like to add to the list?
    (I haven't organised any of these but if anyone wants to take a table at them, I'm happy to pass on the various organiser details if you PM me.)

The 2 biggies are Belfast and Dublin. There has been a craft show in the King's Hall Belfast in April for many years but 2 years ago they started holding a show in November as well. This year it's on mid-October and if you want to visit, there's still time to get a discount for advance booking.
    The Dublin show (RDS) is usually on Halloween weekend but this year it's mid-November.
    If you've never been to either, I recommend the Belfast show because it's smaller (less overwhelming) and they have improved the range of workshops available so it's now worth going.
    But if you're a craftaholic, you'll see a much larger number of exhibitors at the RDS show. They also have a programme of workshops and demonstrations.

CREATIVE CRAFTS SHOW
    13-15 October 2011: King's Hall, Belfast
    Buy tickets online at: www.sccshows.co.uk or call 0044-1822-617744 quoting discount code BEC. Adults £6.45 Concessions £5.45 (Normally £7.95 & £6.95)

KNITTING & STITCHING SHOW
    10-13 November 2011: RDS, Dublin
    www.twistedthread.com
    Adults €15.00, Concessions €14.00, Children (4 to 18) €7.00

DERRY JOURNAL GIFT & CRAFT FAIR
    13 November 2011: Everglades Hotel, Derry

AN TAISCE CRAFT FAIR
    20 November 2011: Mount Errigal Hotel, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal

PEACOG CRAFT FAIR
    27 November 2011: Ostan Loch Altan Hotel, Gortahork, Co. Donegal

LETTERKENNY CHRISTMAS CRAFT FAIR
    27 November 2011: Radisson Blue Hotel, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal

CHRISTMAS CRAFT FAIR
    27 November 2011: Ballinrobe Community School, Co. Mayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mrs Ron Burgundy

Does anyone know of any upholstery/furniture restoration courses in the south tipperary area? Would love to breathe new life into my old crap :)
    Also does anyone know of any annie sloan workshops taking place. Love her stuff.

Cheers guys, your help is much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Uncorruptable

Hi everybody,

Posted this over in the regions thread hope it is of interest to some of you,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74878923&postcount=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 StarMom

Ive been to a few of these card making workshops and Jackie is a brilliant techer :)
    http://jackiesworkshops.blogspot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

StarMom wrote: »
    Ive been to a few of these card making workshops and Jackie is a brilliant techer :)
    http://jackiesworkshops.blogspot.com/

Several years ago I was lucky enough to be in a workshop Jackie was teaching and she was just brilliant. I haven't been to any of her present workshops mainly because the temptation to go out and buy more crafty stuff would be too much for me, I'd give in, I know I would!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭corkdave

Cork_girl wrote: »
    /With Mod hat on: Moved to our events thread. Please do not revive threads that had one post and are over 5 years old! Also read the charter - no personal email contact allowed. PM only. Thanks!

\Removes Mod hat: On a happier note - sounds brilliant - best of luck with it!
    Thanks Corkgirl.
    We just held our sixth bodypainting last Sunday in Cork. 17 artists, 17 models. One of the artists commented that she did not expect it to cost so little, given that each artist had his or her own model to work on. It was only 15 Euro for six hours. It is normally less than that, but we had the excellent Nina Moore (Popartz - Paint on People) facilitating (on a short trip back to Ireland from Canada) and we paid her expenses.
    There is always a surplus of models willing to volunteer. People who have previously modelled keep coming back because it is a fantastic experience having somebody using you as their canvas. Although it is a lot of fun, with music, food and a lot of banter in a brilliant atmosphere, the artists and models behave professionally with no laddish behaviour. And while not every artist can make a successful transfer to a living breathing canvas, some of the art is extraordinary. All the work is photographer by established or emerging professional photographers, as it is soon all washed off.
    A new group of organisers is taking over the organisation of these events. If you are an artist who has not tried out this unusual transient art form, and you think you might have the personality to paint on people, PM me and I will pass your details on to the organisers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 MuseumEducation

Christmas Fair at the National Print Museum
    Call for Participants

The National Print Museum is currently seeking participants for its Christmas Fair, which will take place from Friday 9 to Sunday 11 December 2011.

Situated within Beggars Bush Barracks in the heart of Ballsbridge, the Museum will actively promote the event to a wide audience including neighbouring businesses and hotels, and the local community.

Stalls will be available for hire at €100 for the three days and will need to be manned from 11.00-16.00 each day.

Interested parties are invited to submit an expression of interest along with a product descriptor and price range to carlamarrinan@nationalprintmuseum.ie by close of business on Friday 4 November.

Please reshare this with anyone you think might be interested!

National Print Museum
    Beggars Bush Barracks, Haddington Rd, Dublin 4
    Tel: 01 6603770
    Web: www.nationalprintmuseum.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 32 hadas

Hi there,

There is a FREE arts and craft fair in the Westgrove hotel in Clane (County Kildare) on the 13th of November between 12 and 6pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cookie70

Hi there,I am startin up childrens craft classes in the coming weeks and would like to see if there is any interest in it? If you are interested please contact me and I will give all the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 MuseumEducation

The National Print Museum is running a candlemaking workshop for the first time next weekend that might interest some of you crafty crafters!

Candlemaking Workshop
    Tutor: Bláithín Quinn

Participants in this workshop will discover the techniques of melting and moulding wax to create colourful scented candles with layers of wax and coloured sands. The perfect Christmas present!

Saturday 26 November, 10.30 – 16.00
    Cost: €60

National Print Museum, Beggars Bush Barracksm Haddington Rd, Dublin 4
    Tel: 01 6603770 Email: education@nationalprintmuseum.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 26 senisejus

I am just wondering, anybody interested in leatherworking (belts making, cases for mobile phones) braiding, sewing, cutting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm a bit late seeing this but knew about those ones already. Just wanted to say there is a craft fair in the County Library in Tallaght. Came upon it by accident and there are about a dozen or so tables with lovely crafty things. It goes on from today for three days so still time to pop in. Oh there is a man doing wood turning too which is good to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 madammc

Hi Guys,
    There is an Art exhibition of Tomasz Pulsakowski and Magda Cwik in Dublin running untill 8th of January 2012.

Event info:
    Date: 8th December 2011 - 8th January 2012
    Donation: FREE
    Address: 33 Parliament Street, Dublin

Tomasz Pulsakowski:

Title: "Kazakhstan voids" photography

Cycle of twelve works showing the deserted place in which collective
    farms once operated (forced labour factories) full of wrecks of
    machinery.
    The series has been made in Kazakhstan in 2008.

http://vimeo.com/18422171 (I place in BZ Wbk Press Photo Competition 2010)

Magda Cwik:

Title: "Consumption" digital illustrations and photography of "Look at me" series.

It's a unique mix of digital art and photography.
    "Consumption" is a combination of humour, juicy colours and character design.
    "Look at me" series shows how important the strong eye contact
    is in the time of the digital world we live in. Portraits were taken
    between 2009 - 2011 in Morocco, Malta and Ireland.

You can win one of Magda Cwik's works on: www.magdacwik.com

Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Magda-Cwik/138448656225882

Flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/magdacwik/

Enjoy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 helenaregan

Winter Craft Fair on December 18th in Powerstown Educate Together National School, Tyrrelstown, Dublin 15.
    Craft Fair is on from 1pm - 3pm.
    There is also a children's area, where there will be a disco, facepainting, fairy cake decorating & a visit from Santa (with presents). Check out http://www.facebook.com/pages/Powerstown-Educate-Together/123935437687587

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Anyone in the midwest region please go and see the current exhibition in the Church Gallery of Limerick School of Art & Design.

Its called "B-sides" and is a posthumous exhibition of Limerick based artist Tom Fox who died in 2010. Runs til next Friday 20th, some really unique and outstanding paintings.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭newuser30

Anyone know of any good craft market/fairs coming up for 2012? There were so many coming up to Christmas but very few I've heard of happening over next few months. I've looked up the craft websites but not much there..any info much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭KazM

There's a lovely new venue in Cork City that would be a great location for anyone who wants to get-together for a couple of hours of knitting and crochet - with social banter and good company on a weekly basis.

Anyone interested - just mail me and I'll be in touch to get a date set to begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 cardartkilcoole

Card Art Kilcoole
    Creative Card Making Workshop
    At the Portmarnock Sport and Leisure Centre
    On Sunday the 26th of February
    Time 10.30 to 5.30

Theme Spring Sunshine
    Beautiful cards in pretty pastel shades
    suitable for birthdays
    One or two unusual folds, with the prettiest embellishments.

We will make 4 kits on the day
    And you will receive 4 extra card kits with full instructions to make at home.

Morning Classes
    Card 1. Concertina Book Fold
    Card 2. Twin Stepper Easel Card

Afternoon Classes
    Card 3. Twin Easel Card
    Card 4. Spring Sunshine

Full details can be found on the Card Art Blog

http://cardarteventskilcoole.blogspot.com/

Many thanks
    Yvonne

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JansStuff

I'm starting up Card Making Workshops for Adults in South Dublin this February. Workshops will be an hour and a half long - they will be in the mornings, but I will start evening classes if I have demand. Current locations for the Workshops are Sandyford Community Centre, St Brigids Pastoral Community Centre Cabinteely and Foxrock Parish Centre, Foxrock.

They will be very relaxed, practical and useful classes where you will learn how to create your own unique cards in practical hands-on workshops. Ideas, advice, money-saving tips, handouts and all materials included. At every workshop you will be making cards. My ethos is to use mostly materials you'll have at home or can get easily at a reasonable price. If you've ever received or bought a fantastic card, then bring it along and I'll work with you to copy it, or even improve upon it. And equally, if you've some lovely bits and pieces at home that you think would work well on a card but are stumped on how to use them, then bring them along. I'll cover many occasions - birthdays - young and old, new baby, wedding, holy communion, and photo cards. Workshops will last an hour and a half and will be priced approx. at 12 euro per Workshop.
    Please contact me for further details about dates, times, locations and prices. While I'm enrolling for classes now to start the week beginning February 20th, it is possible to join at any time during the term, and if there are spaces, a pay-as-you-go option will be available.
    Thanks for looking. Yours in Card Making, Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JansStuff

Hi, there is a Craft Market happening on Sunday 4th of March in the Parish centre in Cabinteely village, Dublin 18. Their last one was yesterday - it had wood work, jewellery, baking and other items. It is a lovely room and they are taking bookings for people to take a table for the fair in March - the cost is really reasonable. I'm taking a table in March for selling hand-made cards & 'make a card' on the spot. Cheers, J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 joasha.z

Art for kids - break for parents
    Bright Sparks! Dublin 8
    Quality, fun, expressive art sessions
    for children 12 monts – 4 years.
    A social out-of-the-house break for parents.
    Every Tuesday
    - morning 10.30 to 11:30am
    - afternoon 1 to 2pm
    For more information, please visit www.brightsparksart.com

Advertisement