Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferguson Ariva 120 Users Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I'm afraid it sounds very much like the flash memory problem I've been seeing.

Hi Guys- I have an ariva 120 thats displaying the word ASH on its oled. Ive tried numerous times with the Aiva updater tool (different versions) using a null modem cable to flash the firmware but to no avail. Still im getting ASh on the front of the STB and nothing outputting to the tv via HDMI. This box was working fine for months but just died yesterday. It was bought from Satworld if that matters. Any ideas. Then updater goes through the process to the end and confirms that it has flashed the stb but still i have the dreaded ASH!!

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭dodzy

scobay wrote: »
    Fixation has nothing to do with it, if a unit has updated firmware its usually for a reason, bugs fixed, extra features, stability. Manufacturers dont update firmware for the good of their health. If anybody has more productive info or input please answer my previous question thanks.
    Agreed, under normal circumstances. However, if you had read the complete thread, you would have came across numerous issues people have run into with the update process. And with the exception of the lip sync issue, there have been no improvements with following updates that i am aware of. In this instance " if its not broken, dont fix it......" really applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

... If anybody has more productive info or input please answer my previous question thanks.

Yes sir! Mr. 10 Posts in 10 years, right away sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Anyone know the frequency for Sky Box Office 2 HD? Is it one of the 'ch-numbers' one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

chordtype wrote: »
    Anyone know the frequency for Sky Box Office 2 HD? Is it one of the 'ch-numbers' one?

PM'd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Fixation has nothing to do with it, if a unit has updated firmware its usually for a reason, bugs fixed, extra features, stability. Manufacturers dont update firmware for the good of their health. If anybody has more productive info or input please answer my previous question thanks.

Not necessarily.

This box is primarily aimed at Poland for start. Sometimes the fixes are for problems related to 19.2, certain polish/czech DVB-T etc.

Firmware updating is a fixation for some people !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Shazam!

Is 7 day EPG possible with the Ariva 120 on Freesat? I am looking to purchase a second box but preferrably something with two DVB-S inputs and a Terrestrial input. Any suggestions from experience or what to avoid. Dreambox, Vu+, etc?

Shazam! wrote: »
    Is 7 day EPG possible with the Ariva 120 on Freesat?

No only official freesat boxes and some linux boxes have this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

and sky boxes.

shblob wrote: »
    and sky boxes.

Must disagree Sky boxes do not have a freesat 7 day epg but can we get back to talking about the 120 please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Internet functionality ? Apart from obvious which we cannot talk about - anyone finding any use / interesting with internet functionality on this box ?

Internet functionality ? Apart from obvious which we cannot talk about - anyone finding any use / interesting with internet functionality on this box ?

It has the weather! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SnowDust

Had mine 5 days & then tonight I noticed 'ASH' on the display. All functions from the remote & the box froze so I turned her off/on & now it's completely dead.

Sounds like ashes to ashes to me, if anyone out there has a solution then please feel free to comment.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

These boxes seem to be extremely reliable, mines been faulty twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SnowDust

oxymoron

shblob wrote: »
    These boxes seem to be extremely reliable, mines been faulty twice.
    SnowDust wrote: »
    oxymoron

The following statement is true; the preceding statement is false

Problem? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭barrybones_wx

Thanks to you all for advice here, got one of these bad boys from Tony back in May for the Champions League final in HD and it's worked a treat. Anyway... long time reader, first time poster sort of thing...

It's a pest have to rescan and input channels only for them to randomly vanish (Channel 4HD, BBC News & Parliament, France 24 just off the top of my head have come and gone and come and gone again...). Just wondering if the channel list here http://www.mediafire.com/?c9ag85vxi0ba0sv is the most uptodate file?

&

Should I be able to get the other Channel 5 channels like 5* & 5USA? or is that only on the FreetoAir boxes or something?

Should I be able to get the other Channel 5 channels like 5* & 5USA? or is that only on the FreetoAir boxes or something?

Yes you should, heres my latest firmware and list , make sure you read the "how to " :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?wytvbjo36pfr062

http://www.mediafire.com/?ji0kdvqodn3v07i

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

NUTZZ wrote: »
    It has the weather! :pac:
    Great - get to see how cold its got in Krakow !!! Anything else useful ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks to you all for advice here, got one of these bad boys from Tony back in May for the Champions League final in HD and it's worked a treat. Anyway... long time reader, first time poster sort of thing...

It's a pest have to rescan and input channels only for them to randomly vanish (Channel 4HD, BBC News & Parliament, France 24 just off the top of my head have come and gone and come and gone again...). Just wondering if the channel list here http://www.mediafire.com/?c9ag85vxi0ba0sv is the most uptodate file?

&

I ended up doing a blind scan and then spending a couple of hours deleting unwanted channels and sorting the remaining ones.

I had at first used a file that one of the guys kindly posted here, but found it easier to do the whole thing myself ...... so only my choices were left, and nothing I actually wanted was missing.

I am happy I did now, although it was a bit of a hassle at first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Can anybody tell me please what's the frequency, etc for France24? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Can anybody tell me please what's the frequency, etc for France24? Thanks.

According to Lyngsat it's at 11426 V 27500 2/3. The update is dated Nov. '11 so maybe it's moved again?

It's also shown in DVB-S2 (MPEG4) at 12552 V if you have a suitable (HD?) receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭micks_address

hi guys,

set up one of these last night, have some mkvs on external hard drive and they play back but get 'unsupported audio codec' with them. Ones with dolby digital work fine - but i have some with DTS audio - any way to play the via the ariva without transcoding?

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Is it possible to download some kind of xml epg from the net through the ethernet connection? That would be incredibly useful

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

According to Lyngsat it's at 11426 V 27500 2/3. The update is dated Nov. '11 so maybe it's moved again?

It's also shown in DVB-S2 (MPEG4) at 12552 V if you have a suitable (HD?) receiver.

Thanks Paul. I'm not getting it on either. Are you (or anyone?) receiving it on these or other frequencies?

Onikage wrote: »
    Is it possible to download some kind of xml epg from the net through the ethernet connection? That would be incredibly useful

Unfortunately not unlike some Linux based receivers.

Thanks Paul. I'm not getting it on either. Are you (or anyone?) receiving it on these or other frequencies?

Yes, 11426 V 27500 2/3 is the frequency for France 24, are you scanning all satellites?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

hi guys,

set up one of these last night, have some mkvs on external hard drive and they play back but get 'unsupported audio codec' with them. Ones with dolby digital work fine - but i have some with DTS audio - any way to play the via the ariva without transcoding?

Cheers,
    Mick

No, there is a limited set of codecs supported ..... specified in the manual ..... as well as a number of container formats which are also specified.

So a little work would be needed ..... but if the video is copied and the audio transcoded that should not take a lot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Guys,
    I have an Edision Argus 2-in-1 IP combo. I find it very good technically but there is very little information on updates etc and a lot of it i German etc. I also think the colours are better on the Humax (though not certain as I didnt do a direct comparison).

Anyone compare the Ferguson with the Edision? - thinking of getting another combo & not certain which option to go for,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Tony wrote: »
    Yes you should, heres my latest firmware and list , make sure you read the "how to " :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?wytvbjo36pfr062

http://www.mediafire.com/?ji0kdvqodn3v07i

lads - just updated the fathers box with this abs but i've lost all irish channels - only seems to have astra 2a in the channel list. what step have i missed?

Advertisement