Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Ok, feck it, here goes nothing!

Whoop, whoop!!

Scans thread for male boardsies saying they got a message :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

eternal wrote: »
    I need feedback on whether I should, in desperation, go back to Online Dating.

I'm not on online dating websites out of desperation. :confused:

To me, a site is just a venue like any other and the people on it are the crowd within it. If you've had problems with it before, that just means it's unfortunate things haven't worked out. It's not your fault, nor is the blame with online dating either. The same thing has and can occur without dating sites.
    What I mean is I am not, as such, desperate and I was online before but all they wanted was sex and lied to get it. I will give it a miss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What I mean is I am not, as such, desperate and I was online before but all they wanted was sex and lied to get it. I will give it a miss.

Ah, I see what you mean there now alright. Although as I mentioned, it's nothing more than another venue. Although in saying that, some venues work for some people, while others for someone else.

Sorry to hear you got messed around like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Pembily wrote: »
    Scans thread for male boardsies saying they got a message :pac:

Funny you should mention that! :p

There was another girl who viewed my profile and messaged me on OKC at the same time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

[SIZE="1"]Scans thread for male boardsies saying they got a message :pac:[/SIZE]

Funny you should mention that! :p

There was another girl who viewed my profile and messaged me on OKC at the same time too.
    Interesting ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Interesting ;)

Sorry Drav, message not sent yet! ;)

Interesting ;)

Aye :cool:
    Sorry Drav, message not sent yet! ;)

Ney :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

But that happens in real life too. Just bad luck you've had.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bordsie

Found a profile I like.. knew I knew the face from somewhere.

Yep, they're a Boardsie!

:o

Is it me?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

bordsie wrote: »
    Is it me?

Did you get a message from stunning lady?

If yes, probably not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Eva_C

Have a question for both the guys & girls here.

Okay, so for the girls - have any of you been asked on a date after just messaging a guy maybe, two/three times? If yeah - have you gone on the date?

For the guys - is that pretty normal to ask someone on a date so soon/early after just short messages?

That's happened to me a couple of times & I haven't gone. It just puts/scares me off a bit when asked to meet so soon. I know, I know - probably sounds crazy...This online lark is tough work!

Eva_C wrote: »
    Have a question for both the guys & girls here.

Okay, so for the girls - have any of you been asked on a date after just messaging a guy maybe, two/three times? If yeah - have you gone on the date?

For the guys - is that pretty normal to ask someone on a date so soon/early after just short messages?

That's happened to me a couple of times & I haven't gone. It just puts/scares me off a bit when asked to meet so soon. I know, I know - probably sounds crazy...This online lark is tough work!

I've never gone on a date unless I've felt comfortable enough actually going on the date. The length of time I've messaged the guy would have differed. Think the earliest I've met up with a guy has been mayb 5 day of messaging.

You're better off just being honest with the guy. Any decent lad with understand your apprehension, especially if you haven't gone on a date before.

Eva_C wrote: »

The girl I'm going out with on Sunday, I asked her on my 3rd message. All the messages between us before that was just small talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Its a delacate balancing act too soon and you scare someone off, leave it to long as they thick your not interested. Its a bit like cooking steak when you want it medium it takes still to know when its time to take it off the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Eva_C

Thanks - yeah, maybe I'll just suggest we chat for a bit longer as had no real type of conversation really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bordsie

Its a bit like cooking steak when you want it medium it takes still to know when its time to take it off the heat.

:confused:

Online dating in a nutshell.

Does anyone who uses OkCupid, do you ever mail your 'enemies'? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Well I meant to say skill not still, which makes marginaly more sence.

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

Well I meant to say skill not still, which makes marginaly more sence sense .

I swear I'm not a grammar Nazi :o

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    The % thing is pointless. Mail who you like. :)

I dunno, I had a look at my enemies. Seemed about right. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

OKC says I'm 67% enemies with my best friend - how we haven't killed each other over the last 7 years is beyond me!

So no, I don't listen to the matchy thing. :p

awec wrote: »
    :D

What defines an enemy for you?

Well one dude has sunglasses on his forehead in his pic. Forehead, as in above his eyebrows, Not on head. A definite no no in my book. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

I thought alot of the questions were either slightly thought provoking or dull as dish water, also I rated lots of them as not important so in fact there was basically no point in me answering them, my thougts on it was if somebody believed something and it differed to my beliefs it wouldnt put me off them, i think there were 3 things i rated important,

Do people look at how others answer those questions? Defo couldn't be arsed doing that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi guys. I'm new to this online dating. A guy has been messaging me since the beginning of January. He seems nice but Im not really sure about him. Still I'm giving him a chance.

It seems to be a penpal situation though. He's never 'asked me out'. This is kind of putting me off. Maybe a reason is he doesn't know what I look like. The website I'm on doesn't allow private fotos or to add photos to messages.
    I don't know. I haven't replied in a good few days to his last message. Don't know what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well I've been on match.com, POF & OKC one week now and it's a tad slow to put it mildly. I've gotten around 8 messages in total from the free sites, most with no photos and all very short like 'Hi, how are you?'. I've sent our around 60 messages over the 2 sites (haven't paid for match.com yet) but got very little response.

One thing that really gets under my skin is if a woman is even remotely attractive they will have a list of demands. Here is a rather mild example that I cut and pasted off POF:

Bit of a closed book, kinda iffy on this online dating stuff but willing to give it a chance....
    P.s I WILL NOT REPLY IF U JUST WRITE HI HOW ARE U!!!! Some imagination pls people ;)
    ** may be coming across a bit high maintenance or up myself or whatever else..im just a straight talker, knows what i want kinda gal :) more ppl on this should try the same! lol

I enjoy...
    Randomness
    Lil adventures
    Cocktails
    Travelling
    Good films/music
    Eating out
    Fun chats with exciting people

I def know what I dont want ha so feel free to write if you're..
    Genuine
    Have a good sense of humour
    Spontaneous, romantic
    A bit old school
    Know how to look after yourself, i.e not too much of a Mammys boy!
    Basically not a weirdo haha

Definitely don't write if u...
    Are nice onscreen but a creep behind it...u know who u are! Lol
    Smoke
    Have a long history on this website
    Smell
    Get VIP tables in clubs to lure girls
    Lurk in the corner of Coppers

This girl was okay looking, nothing really special, the type of girl that would be painfully bland in any other country yet she is online acting like she is gods gift to mankind. I really don't get it.

Has anyone else noticed the worrying trend of this sort of behaviour on these sites?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement