Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women and children first?

Options
  • 16-01-2012 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

I was reading various news website articles today about the cruise ship that hit the rocks and that had to be evacuated at the weekend. One aspect of the story was the fact that a lot of the crew abandoned ship before passengers were evacuated. There were also various stories about the how the golden rule ‘women and children first’ was totally disregarded by crew and passengers alike and that it was ‘everyman for himself’.

The comments on a lot of the websites were surprising to me to say the least, many posters said that in this day and age that 500 year old rule was ‘out-dated’ and one posted ‘too right I’d push anybody out of my way, woman or child’ and ‘why is my life worth less than others’

I’m curious to see peoples honest views on this, would you save your own hide first by pushing a women and child out of the way to hop on a life raft? Is it something you post, saying you would do the honourable thing but when it came down to it you wouldn’t?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well it is a bit of an antiquated notion imo. Unless the woman and kids were my own family then there's no reason why I'd feel that their lives are any more important than my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not sure about women and children first. But I think I'd be making it my damndest that anyone struggling is not left behind, be they woman, child, or infirm, and getting them on the life raft with me.

After that, its everyone for them selves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I think women and children first should definitely be respected. Adult males are in general **** anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Only the strong survive, if I have to punt a child out of the way to get off the boat then so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Situation dependent, in the situation you are pointing to i would have put them in the boat and swam myself over, they were right beside the shore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Well it is a bit of an antiquated notion imo. Unless the woman and kids were my own family then there's no reason why I'd feel that their lives are any more important than my own.

Im fairly sure thats where it comes from too, not just save the children for saving a childs sake, its basically "look, us husbands will stay back and all our women and children will take up the space in the boat, they are the next generation. we will rightfully die for to save them"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Women maybe not...but children definitely... But then again, how will the poor child cope without their parents man or woman? At least one should go with the child, but who decides?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Children, elderly, ill/disabled, heavily pregnant women first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Only the strong survive, if I have to punt a child out of the way to get off the boat then so be it

at least you are honest i guess...

do you have children?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I'd like to think I would, but until put into that situation I can only guess really.
    Something like the Costa-Concordia disaster would very much be a case of 'every man for himself' I feel.

I'd have likely maintained a chivalrous stance and gone down with the karaoke machine playing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Julie London

The elderly and children, non swimmers and women with infants, should be evacuated first i believe. How did this happen I havent seen much on it yet, if the boat was so close to land could anyone who was a strong swimmer not have swam to shore. And would there not have been time for lifeboats to do repeat trips?

davet82 wrote: »

do you have children?

Your still new here.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

The reason the crew shouldn't go is fairly obvious: they are trained in evacuating people safely & know where the equipment etc. is located.

I'd be inclined to think children, pregnant women and infirm should go first (helped by able bodied adults), but don't see any reason other than an antiquated chivilerous code that adult women should go before adult men.

...that said, I don't see myself pushing anyone out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Pretty sure when you are contending with death, all altruistic notions of yourself are a lot easier to set aside for that time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The crew's getting a lot of stick, with many of them allegedly getting off as soon as they could, including the captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

do you have children?

woah, wrap it up there. that line has been used. thread over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

do you have children?

6, minus 3 due to puntings

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I agree kids should be safe first but after that, I'm saving myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

J. Marston wrote: »
    I agree kids should be safe first but after that, I'm saving myself.

Even the ginger ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

One of Van Halens best albums it has to be said.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

If there are children they only need one parent to mind them and help them onto the boat so its a little sexist I know but its easier in an emergency situation to identify and order children, the elderly and women out first. I just see it as some kind of basic order nothing to do with chivalry, women without children can go on after imo.

Its easier to order 50ish % one gender and children within a crowd to move first, less people moving less people trying to get on, so all women with the likely hood of having children with them need help getting on and prioritised because of the children

If there were no children theres no issue except for crowd control.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So the boat is full of women and children... what will they do? Can they row? Are you going to assume that they can navigate and/or able to row the boat? Of if they're strong enough to row the boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

silly wrote: »
    how will the poor child cope without their parents man or woman?
    The Batman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

If I was on the ship there would be NO Deserters.

I'm firing one warning shot in the air and brandishing the gun for all to see.
    Man, Woman or Child. Attempt to leave and you get shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

All for getting the kids off first, but if women want to vote, then they have to fight me for a spot on the lifeboat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

If I was on the ship there would be NO Deserters.

I'm firing one warning shot in the air and brandishing the gun for all to see.
    Man, Woman or Child. Attempt to leave and you get shot.

Would we be allowed to launch lifeboats? You don't expect us all to perish with the ship do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I'd look after my own family, I would also empty the bar to compensate me for the inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

do you have children?

He seems pretty confident in his ability to punt a child, so i reckon he does.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The crew's getting a lot of stick, with many of them allegedly getting off as soon as they could, including the captain.

Well they wanted to wave to their mates on the shore....

Apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

Would we be allowed to launch lifeboats?
    No you will not. Cowards such as yourself spreading defeatism around the ship, with your talk of lifeboats, will be taken out and shot.
    You don't expect us all to perish with the ship do you?

No. I expect you die Mr Deftlefthand.

Advertisement