Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council vote on new Westside Tesco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 theronankelly

Why didn't they build a shopping mall up in Knocknacarra like Liffey Valley or any place in Dublin. The space was there & any amount of shops, amenities & utilities would be available to everyone along with parking! They still have sufficient space to house this. Instead we got B&Q, Next, New Look, Pharmacy & Dunnes. We need proper planning new shops more jobs. Not wasted space for duplicates of what is already available

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Why didn't they build a shopping mall up in Knocknacarra like Liffey Valley or any place in Dublin. The space was there & any amount of shops, amenities & utilities would be available to everyone along with parking! They still have sufficient space to house this. Instead we got B&Q, Next, New Look, Pharmacy & Dunnes. We need proper planning new shops more jobs. Not wasted space for duplicates of what is already available

It's not the space that's the issue but rather location. The road infrastructure to knocknacarra simply cannot support a liffey valley type centre. Westside and Rahoon could not cope with the traffic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

So it's the area has been rezoned. Has the planning application been submitted or gone through?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

dloob wrote: »
    Can't remember the last time I bought ... coke in joyces

Glad to see they're expanding. Might pop by there tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Why didn't they build a shopping mall up in Knocknacarra like Liffey Valley or any place in Dublin.

Liffey Valley is usually quoted as being an example of bad planning and corruption - do you really want to make that comparison?
    snubbleste wrote: »
    So it's the area has been rezoned. Has the planning application been submitted or gone through?

According to this article (last weekend) the planning application has been submitted.

• Advertisement

Just checked there, submissions/objections accepted until 02/02/12.
    Looks like a new road between the Highfield junction north to the Seamus Quirke Road, and potentially closing off the existing Rahoon Road west from that junction.

Permission for the construction of a new retail development on the site of the former T. O'Higgins manufacturing facility. The proposed development includes the following:
    a) Demolition of existing commercial/industrial premises;
    b) Construction of an elevated retail unit selling both food and non-food products (including convenience and comparison goods) and incorporating a licensed sales area and in-store optician & pharmacy (all at main shop floor level), with café, ancillary offices and staff areas at mezzanine level.This builidng is to be elevated over the surface level car parking area. The gross retail floor area of this retail unit is 8,510m2, with total net retail sales are of 5,442m2;
    c) Construction of 1 no. 2-storey retail unit (gross floor area 352m2) and 1 no. 2-storey cafe/restaurant unit (gross floor area 384m2) in free-standing buildings to front of main retail unit building, fronting onto Seamus Quirke Road;
    d) Surface level parking (468 no. total car parking spaces), cycle parking and circulation;
    e) Formation of new public plaza area fronting Seamus Quirke Road that will also be available for compatible uses, including a farmers market and public events;
    f) Construction of new road through the site, connecting the existing Rahoon Road to the Seamus Quirke Road, and all associated works. Access to the retail development will be from this new section of road, as well as from the existing Rahoon Road;
    g) Associated service yard area at main shop floor level to rear of main retail unit building;
    h) Associated hard and soft landscaping proposals, including proposed public artwork;
    i) Associated signage, including free-standing totem sign;
    j) All ancillary site works and services, including 1 no. ESB substation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

antoobrien wrote: »
    Liffey Valley is usually quoted as being an example of bad planning and corruption - do you really want to make that comparison?

This would be one reason to support the Tesco project. The way Phil Hogan seems to be talking he is about to open up Ireland to the large out-of-town "Walmart" type hypercentres.

If Tesco-Westside goes ahead and renders a hypermarket on the outside of the city commercially non-viable then that would be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭inisboffin

My reservations would be huge congestion, and also that Tesco need to cop on to some of their policies like subsidised 'Intern' positions or shelf stacking for Christmas. The lost a sizeable portion of many people's business just for that reason.

This part
    "e) Formation of new public plaza area fronting Seamus Quirke Road that will also be available for compatible uses, including a farmers market and public events;

is interesting though. A farmers market up that end of town would be great, but surely there would be some conflict of interest with the Tesco products? I wonder how 'vetted' by Tesco each food stall (if they even allowed food) would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Looks like a new road between the Highfield junction north to the Seamus Quirke Road, and potentially closing off the existing Rahoon Road west from that junction.

f) Construction of new road through the site, connecting the existing Rahoon Road to the Seamus Quirke Road, and all associated works. Access to the retail development will be from this new section of road, as well as from the existing Rahoon Road;

Is there any idea where this road will be located?
    When you say Highfield Junction do you mean that the road will form a cross road/junction with the present entry to Highfield?

I think this is of great concern for anyone living on the Rangoon rd/Highfield side of the development. The congestion on the Rahoon Road will be ridiculous and really these roads are not built for the volume of traffic that it will attract as everyone from Salthil and town will use this as their entry to Tesco. It will utterly destroy the area as we know it,of course that not of much concern to people not living around here but for those who are it is a disaster.

Innishboffin you make a very good point. I really can't imagine Tesco will be delighted to have us all outside their windows buying our jam,fruit ,veg and baked goods when they're not seeing a penny of the profits. I really hope people will see mention in their plans of this as the soft soak it is, it won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

There seem to be quite a few problems with this:

1. Poor access / pre-planning. Surely the fiasco that is the curent SQR roadworks should have incorporated access to Tesco if it is going ahead.
    2. The 'ethics' of our City Councillors. To vote in favour of a nice windfall for a former FF Mayor by rezoning the site as a 'District Centre', despite the opposition of planning officials, as they did last summer. Where is the overall vision for the Westside of the city? Is that really what we pay them for?
    3. Jobs. RGDATA said in that article in last week's City Tribune that a Tesco 'hypermarket' won't create new jobs, only displace other ones throughout the city. In fact, it could result in the net loss of jobs as small businesses will fail.
    4. A proper plan for the Westside area in particular. If this goes ahead, would Dunnes close down and the nearby Westside SC become an empty shell?

If anything, this case shows all that is wrong with local government in this country. Councillors vote to rezone a single site in isolation, belonging to a former colleague, in a move which has no bearing on the overall development of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

My guess is that if Tesco opens here, they will close in the Galway Shopping Centre: can't see two stores that large being viable so close to each other.

This would seriously annoy me, 'cos the shopping centre is walkable from town, even with a backpack of groceries. westside ain't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

I agree that allowing motorised access to this development from the rahoon rd/shantalla rd side would be a disaster.

On the issue of taking this into account in the Seamus Quirke Road design it already has been. There is already a right turn lane included in the SQR design intended to feed traffic into this development.

This has long been part of the plans of the traffic engineers whatever about the planners

Am I the only one who heard that the plan was to close the current Rahoon road junction with Seamus Quirke at the ESB substation, and this new road will link Highfield directly to Seamus Quirke?
    maybe I'm having traffic dreams...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Correct, the ESB substation needs more space and will take over the road.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Correct, the ESB substation needs more space and will take over the road.

Is that a definite plan ?

That's a new one to me too. Interesting how this will play nicely into the hands of several interests. I'm imagining local residents and those concerned with the ridiculous traffic congestion its likely to cause will be a very very small voice on the matter.

Another concern in attracting an increase in traffic should be the fact that the Shantalla road is used by so many young children making their way to and from Scoil Bride primary and Taylors Hill secondary and primary on a daily basis. With roads and paths not built for any real volume of traffic it doesn't seem very safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

JustMary wrote: »
    My guess is that if Tesco opens here, they will close in the Galway Shopping Centre: can't see two stores that large being viable so close to each other.

This would seriously annoy me, 'cos the shopping centre is walkable from town, even with a backpack of groceries. westside ain't.

I cannot imagine Tesco closing any store. They are well aware that Galway is a city of two halves as are Dunnes. What we really need is for Sainsbury or Asda to open then the prices would really drop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd love a tesco there, would be handy enough for myself on the claybaun road, especially with the new city direct services that will be going past there.
    Tesco has much more varity and value than Dunnes or Joyces!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Permission for the construction of a new retail development on the site of the former T. O'Higgins manufacturing facility. The proposed development includes the following:
    a) Demolition of existing commercial/industrial premises;
    b) Construction of an elevated retail unit selling both food and non-food products (including convenience and comparison goods) and incorporating a licensed sales area and in-store optician & pharmacy (all at main shop floor level), with café, ancillary offices and staff areas at mezzanine level.This builidng is to be elevated over the surface level car parking area. The gross retail floor area of this retail unit is 8,510m2, with total net retail sales are of 5,442m2;
    c) Construction of 1 no. 2-storey retail unit (gross floor area 352m2) and 1 no. 2-storey cafe/restaurant unit (gross floor area 384m2) in free-standing buildings to front of main retail unit building, fronting onto Seamus Quirke Road;
    d) Surface level parking (468 no. total car parking spaces), cycle parking and circulation;
    e) Formation of new public plaza area fronting Seamus Quirke Road that will also be available for compatible uses, including a farmers market and public events;
    g) Associated service yard area at main shop floor level to rear of main retail unit building;
    h) Associated hard and soft landscaping proposals, including proposed public artwork;
    i) Associated signage, including free-standing totem sign;
    j) All ancillary site works and services, including 1 no. ESB substation
    You have to hand it to the evil bastards.

If there's one thing that will win over the white middle classes, it's a farmers market.

It has been mentioned earlier in the thread that Tesco abused the Jobbridge slave labour scheme. There were plenty of Supervalus who were pulled on the same thing. You may note from last weeks Tribune that their lobby group, RGDATA, are objectors here and adjust your opinions accordingly.

So as there's no confusion, I'm opposed to the thing as I think it's a retarded place to build anything where traffic will be constant, let alone a mid-sized Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Robbo wrote: »
    You have to hand it to the evil bastards.

If there's one thing that will win over the white middle classes, it's a farmers market.

It has been mentioned earlier in the thread that Tesco abused the Jobbridge slave labour scheme.
    They also went out of their way to bring in their groceries from the UK to the detriment of Irish farmers, then attempted to conceal that fact. Farmers market, right.

Not another cent will they get.

The traffic is mental today on the SQR with 2 lanes open. Just imagine what it will be like on a sunday after they open a Tesco...and with only 2 lanes open too.

They should put the Tesco in that hole next door to Dunnes in Knocknacarra where it belongs, not down in Rahoon where the road network is already overloaded. Plenty of room up there and an adequate road network.

• Advertisement

The traffic is mental today on the SQR with 2 lanes open. Just imagine what it will be like on a sunday after they open a Tesco...and with only 2 lanes open too.

They should put the Tesco in that hole next door to Dunnes in Knocknacarra where it belongs, not down in Rahoon where the road network is already overloaded. Plenty of room up there and an adequate road network.

Agreed!

Just imagine the traffic on SQR during the run up to Christmas, every Thursday and Friday evening and Saturday afternoon. It'll be hell for anyone trying to get home who lives on the west side of the city. We have just endured a long age of roadworks to improve traffic only to place a massive obstacle to free flow right in the middle of it. Basically the million of euros spent on SQR project will end up at least maintaining the currect level of traffic just so we can facilitate a Tesco that's predicted will "displace" rather than create employment according to rgdata.

Ten years time we will all be looking back and seeing this for what it is, a whole area destroyed mainly because of croneyism on the part of the council in helping out their buddy T O Higgin and anyone on the westside of the city will pay the price.

celty wrote: »

By the way, I'm amazed by the blatant populism of Cllr Peter Keane (FF) on this. He told the City Tribune last Friday that he would make up his mind on this over the weekend, depending on how many of his neighbours were for or against it. Nothing to do with proper planning and infrastructure, and all to do with whether or not it was popular with the voters. Frankeen or Bertie would be proud of the young FFer!

I have heard recently that a councillor,I presume this one though I can't be sure,who was unsure of how to vote canvassed local opinion and took names of those in favour and not in favour of the development and then voted according to his findings. When it was looked into by a resident as to where he asked people how they felt about the prospect it was found that he had collected signatures from employees working at the Tesco on Newcastle road in favour of it and got other pro signatures at the very bottom of shantalla and newcastle road where the impact will be limited. Yet I've met several people from Highfield and Maunsells Road who wonder how he never knocked on their doors to ask their opinion.

Where will all this extra traffic be coming from?

Where do those people shop now? Joyces/Dunnes Knocknacarra/Dunnes Westside or across the river in Tesco at the Galway Shopping Centre?

I'm not sure if the GSC Tesco will close - Dunnes have two food stores quite close to each other.

Tesco had originally planned to expand into the former Atlantic Homecare site as part of the redevelopment of the SC but that seems to have been put on the long finger.

If a proper junction is put in place as part of the development it should be ok.

It might create more use of the bus lane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Quite a long thread to read though.. can someone tell me where in Westside this proposed Tesco would be built?

Westside Dunnes is awful depressing..

Quite a long thread to read though.. can someone tell me where in Westside this proposed Tesco would be built?

There exists a presumptive sketch on page 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Robbo wrote: »
    It has been mentioned earlier in the thread that Tesco abused the Jobbridge slave labour scheme. There were plenty of Supervalus who were pulled on the same thing. You may note from last weeks Tribune that their lobby group, RGDATA, are objectors here and adjust your opinions accordingly.

So as there's no confusion, I'm opposed to the thing as I think it's a retarded place to build anything where traffic will be constant, let alone a mid-sized Tesco.

Indeed - do we know if Tesco actually had "interns" stacking shelves, or if the idea was stopped before any where hired?

Also, what does anyone think should happen to the big block of land that used to be O'Higgins factory? Leave it fallow for 50 years - or forever? Houses (but we don't need an more of them)? Car park (more traffic)? Another factory (just what would be ok so close to residential areas now)?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would imagine that with Dunnes & B&Q as signature clients Dunnes would not allow Tesco in the same development. Just as B&Q would block someone like Woodies.

Indeed - do we know if Tesco actually had "interns" stacking shelves, or if the idea was stopped before any where hired?

Also, what does anyone think should happen to the big block of land that used to be O'Higgins factory? Leave it fallow for 50 years - or forever? Houses (but we don't need an more of them)? Car park (more traffic)? Another factory (just what would be ok so close to residential areas now)?

I remember someone mentioning in an earlier thread that it would be good location for a healthcare facility, a satelite of UCHG,a public health clinic, a community centre or a private facility. Also it could be good for offices or even some sort of retail space that wouldn't attract the volume of people that Tesco would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What stage is this at? Has it been approved yet?

If the application has been made, and granted, is there anything else that can prevent this from happening?

Perhaps Tesco will not actually go ahead with this after reading this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jan/15/tesco-growth-megastores?newsfeed=true

Either way, have our councillors not learned ANYTHING from the past? It's absolutely mental to suggest granting planning permission for a hypermarket in Shantalla or anywhere else close to the city centre. We have medieval streets that are barely wide enough to accommodate a bicylce and a car never mind the throngs of cars that will frequent the new Tesco should it be approved.

As one other poster said, just when they've started to deal with the traffic problems in the west side of the city they actually contmeplate messing it all up by this? To even consider it is a crime, though I realise they must give everything consideration.

So, what can actually stop this from happening?

I remember someone mentioning in an earlier thread that it would be good location for a healthcare facility, a satelite of UCHG,a public health clinic, a community centre or a private facility.

It would be a great location for a 'Gaming Park' seeing as Galway is going all out for shared services centres for gaming companies and they would tend to use students for part time customer support roles. But a bloody supermarket and the retarded biddys that drive in and out of those places, no :(

The students could easily walk or cycle to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

So we should let car thieves off with a warm hug because they got caught before they went through with it? And I would characterise shelf stacking christmas interns as thievery, from both taxpayer and interns.
    I wasn't aware there was such a shortage of land in and around Galway to make the use of that patch a pressing issue.

Advertisement