Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The super duper retro gaming review thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Longer, more biled fueled legend of dragoon brain fart:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.com/2011/12/legend-of-dragoon.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

(quicky as my voice still isnt fully back and had major gremlins last week doing "corporation" on the Megadrive)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Battlezone looks ridiculously good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

My take on Mars Matrix for the Dreamcast. It's good, I promise. It's worth a read, honestly! :pac:

http://www.pinkbullets.co.uk/blogs/?p=191

Mars Matrix is a game I want to be good at but my god, I don't think I've every played a tougher shmup!

• Advertisement

Indeed, the sheer difficulty of the game is its major downfall. :(

System Shock review:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.com/2011/12/system-shock.html

Amazing game that still stands up today and was way ahead of its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

flimbo's quest on the commodore was fkn brilliant....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

flimbo's quest on the commodore was fkn brilliant....

Amazing game, played the living shít out of it when I was a young'un. Got really hard on the last level and iff you didn't have the machine gun thingy you were toast almost instantly

it was on a cartridge too,none of that poxy tape malarky!

• Advertisement

it was on a cartridge too,none of that poxy tape malarky!

Yep great cart I got with my C64, it had Flimbos Quest, International Soccer, Fiendish Freddies and another game I just can't remember right now.
    All good games but Flimbos was excellent game all round

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

pdbhp wrote: »
    Yep great cart I got with my C64, it had Flimbos Quest, International Soccer, Fiendish Freddies and another game I just can't remember right now.
    All good games but Flimbos was excellent game all round

Klax
    That stupidly addictive bastard

Klax it is alright, my dad loved that game and would hog the shít out of the C64 when ever he got the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

HOW CAN YOU NOT REMEMBER KLAX! LIKE!!!*

* one of the most fu*ked up tetris clone type games I ever played.

waveform wrote: »
    HOW CAN YOU NOT REMEMBER KLAX! LIKE!!!*

Well it was 20 years ago and in the interim I've been destroying my brain cells with alcohol and the like.

Funny that I can't remember since I played so much of it

pdbhp wrote: »
    Well it was 20 years ago and in the interim I've been destroying my brain cells with alcohol and the like.

Funny that I can't remember since I played so much of it

Haha, I was only taking the piss!

It's not one thats really worth remembering,
    the only reason I can remember it is because its a ****ed up game with a ****ed up name!

WHAT A KLAAAXXXXXIIIIICCCC!

waveform wrote: »
    WHAT A KLAAAXXXXXIIIIICCCC!

I see what you did there:P

That vid brings back memories, good memories for a while until the tiles start flying down.

I'm convinced that if you play the game long enough and work your way through the levels,

the backround changes to some green vines or something.

Pretty sure that's what I remember anyway! :p

Any takers on finding out? ;)

The criminally overlooked Terminator Future Shock
    (stick around til the end for a harrowing look at the effects of too much dosbox/terminator related gaming on the fragile human mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Needs more Rise of the Robots :pac:

• Advertisement

Great review. Future Shock for a long time was definitely the most advanced game around. Really liked what I played of it and Skynet back in the day.

Just two things to mention. Firstly you said you wanted to do a review of some other games and mentioned Screamer and not being able to get it working on dosbox. Screamer is available through GoG so that might be an option.

Also you said that the older Terminator games by Bethesda are simple FPs games which couldn't be further from the truth. Terminator 2029 is a bit naff and plays like a weird wolfenstein clone which crazy movement controls.

However the first Terminator game from 1990 is anything but simple. It's one of the first free-form open world games ever made. You are dumped into a massive near 8 mile square area of los angles that has been modelled quite accurately for it's time. You can play as Kyle Reese and must find Sarah Connor, protect her and kill the terminator or play as the terminator and hunt down Sarah connor while Reese protects her. How you do this is up to you, you can rob shops or buy weapons if you don't want to be a mass murderer and can even rob vehicles. The engine is fully 3D as well. It's one of the most interesting early PC games out there. It's very dated but work checking out because it's way ahead of its time.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Great review. Future Shock for a long time was definitely the most advanced game around. Really liked what I played of it and Skynet back in the day.

Just two things to mention. Firstly you said you wanted to do a review of some other games and mentioned Screamer and not being able to get it working on dosbox. Screamer is available through GoG so that might be an option.

Also you said that the older Terminator games by Bethesda are simple FPs games which couldn't be further from the truth. Terminator 2029 is a bit naff and plays like a weird wolfenstein clone which crazy movement controls.

However the first Terminator game from 1990 is anything but simple. It's one of the first free-form open world games ever made. You are dumped into a massive near 8 mile square area of los angles that has been modelled quite accurately for it's time. You can play as Kyle Reese and must find Sarah Connor, protect her and kill the terminator or play as the terminator and hunt down Sarah connor while Reese protects her. How you do this is up to you, you can rob shops or buy weapons if you don't want to be a mass murderer and can even rob vehicles. The engine is fully 3D as well. It's one of the most interesting early PC games out there. It's very dated but work checking out because it's way ahead of its time.
    cheers ill have a look at it . the terminator game from 1990 sounds good . I had it down as being a bit more like castlemaster or robocop 3 in being a basic 3d game rather than a more modern style fps . Must nab a copy. and yes .. a rise review is on the way.

as for screamer , I have a boxed copy so id rather not buy it again (broke,!) if I can. also... dont they use dosbox for older games anyway? must have a look

They do use dosbox for their older games, not sure what settings they use but nearly every Dos game they have runs an .exe that runs a script to run the game in dosbox. Windows games have been re-written to run in newer versions of windows.

Screamer was only 2.99 dollars a few days ago in their sale, probably back to 5.99 now.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They do use dosbox for their older games, not sure what settings they use but nearly every Dos game they have runs an .exe that runs a script to run the game in dosbox. Windows games have been re-written to run in newer versions of windows.

Screamer was only 2.99 dollars a few days ago in their sale, probably back to 5.99 now.

yup it went back up
    TBH I'm probably going with plan B for some of the older non dosbox friendly games .(win 98 era laptop outputting to S-video, then vidcapped).

New blog post. My review of Prehistoric Isle 2.

http://www.pinkbullets.co.uk/blogs/?p=386

anyone remember leaderboard golf on commodore 64?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Yeah leaderboard was the game that got my oulman liking games.
    A classic and i don't think golfing games now a days have strayed far from the formula.

Remember when you hit the water and the game created a special island for you to hit your next ball off.
    Always a highlight for me and my bros..we called it a jutter

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

The way it renders the land is really interesting, drawing the outline before colouring it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    The way it renders the land is really interesting, drawing the outline before colouring it in.

Thats the way the 10 year old developers did it in the good old 80s:D

Still a cracking game though

Advertisement