Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Any mention of a tax on berries in the new year?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Joe Public wrote: »
    Any mention of a tax on berries in the new year?

Not yet!

But I can demonstrate the missing berries, gone, when the snow fell last week.

IMG_0046-1.jpg

Is that graupel I see......nah...just itsy bitsy snowflakes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

It seems he is the type of person that can't admit when they're wrong. Either that or he just wants notoriety. I suspect that's definitely what Madden is up to with his forecasts.

BBC Weather presenter Paul Hudson agrees with most of us on here as well:
    "There are several reasons why we have seen a rise in sensationalist weather stories recently.

Firstly, weather sells newspapers. I remember when I worked for the Met Office they tried to tackle one national newspaper about their 'over the top' coverage of weather stories only to be told that weather sells newspapers (a rise in circulation of 10% was quoted by one newspaper editor each and every time there was a front page weather headline)".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulhudson/2011/10/the-winter-forecast-and-media.shtml

It's all about what sells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

baraca wrote: »
    A change of tune BB. Didn't think you were one for the nature signs.
    :confused::confused: I've posted on it here before.I'm all inclusive me :D
    I do believe the wondrous crop of berries has something to do with the pulverizing they got last year but living and working on the land as I do I'm not averse to making observations like when they disappear and speculating why.

Of course I also believe nature is a great equalizer too,for instance,after a wet time comes a dry,after a cold comes a mild,vice versa etc.
    Ok the models are shoite for intense cold at the moment but I've never relied on them beyond 10 days anyhow,nobody should.

Anyhow,here's my good neighbour clearing the snow off the lane to my house last december,ah...the memories :(
    You wouldn't think we are just 2 miles exactly from the irish sea.

bb087.jpg

Firstly, weather sells newspapers. I remember when I worked for the Met Office they tried to tackle one national newspaper about their 'over the top' coverage of weather stories only to be told that weather sells newspapers (a rise in circulation of 10% was quoted by one newspaper editor each and every time there was a front page weather headline)".

It's all about what sells.

Indeed.

Just as right here if the weather is snowy we get folk piling in and if it is meh-meh-mild and featureless I have this all to myself!

It ain't money - it's the human condition.

Remember the worst headline of all time? :eek:

"Small earthquake in Chile, no damage, nobody hurt"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

bb087.jpg[/QUOTE]

that looks strangly familiar to me blackius...
    on another note, amazing snow wish we had it again. Confifers laiden down with snow awwwhhh memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

that looks strangly familiar to me blackius...
    on another note, amazing snow wish we had it again. Confifers laiden down with snow awwwhhh memories
    ah...I remember a certain group of snow boarders arriving alright on a regular basis to ski the hill at the back..I never got round to installing the button lifts...no grants available :p

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Come on mt give us an update or are u sticking by ur previous predictions for January! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

where in europe has snow and i can get cheap flight with ryanair over next few weeks? Noticed fresh wild musrooms sprouting in the park today.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Not yet!

But I can demonstrate the missing berries, gone, when the snow fell last week.

IMG_0046-1.jpg

Is that graupel I see......nah...just itsy bitsy snowflakes....

For the love of god no, who stole the berries!!!?

This is a case for.....;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

blackius wrote: »
    Anyhow,here's my good neighbour clearing the snow off the lane to my house last december....

Your neighbour must be Black Briar! :D I think that's his Bobcat. He used to post on here as well but he hasn't posted for a while. I do hope he's o.k.? :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

To Quote the Korean Central News Agency of the DPRK...seeing as they are snow obsessed too. :D

http://www.kcna.co.jp/item/2011/201112/news21/20111221-13ee.html

"Such Biggest Loss Can't Happen, Unbelievable"
    They were in great sorrow as Kim Jong Il passed away so suddenly and so early to their great sorrow. He used to weather the first snow on this land, going in a jumper. He could not have good rest even in a single day, suffering all sorts of hardship for the people's happiness and the prosperity of the country.

Beating the ground, unable to recognize the reality, they wept bitterly.

Sniff!

More news. I'm amazed he never discovered this forum you know. Which one of ye snow bunnies wrote this lot then???? :cool:

http://www.kcna.co.jp/item/2011/201112/news21/20111221-48ee.html
    Kim Jong Il's Life Bright as Snow
    Pyongyang, December 21 (KCNA) -- Snow fell over Pyongyang on Wednesday when its citizens are overwhelmed with bitter sorrow and grief over the loss of the sun of the nation.

Snow fell gently on the heads of an endless stream of lamenting mourners.

Not thinking about wiping away snow from them, they recollect the words of leader Kim Jong Il who likened his revolutionary philosophy to snow he loved so much.

Kim Jong Il told officials that devoting himself to the immortality of President Kim Il Sung, the prosperity of the country and the happiness of the people means his philosophy on snow and that means self-sacrifice.

Looking back on world history, there were many statesmen who advocated patriotism and dedication. But, no one has ever made such total dedication with a pure and true mind like snow.

It was only Kim Jong Il who made his life shine like snow.

He worked hard day and night, having uncomfortable sleep and taking rice-balls. He was the first to greet dawn like a man in his twenties. Seeing his dedication in tears, the people would ask him to stop making any more journeys along snow-covered roads in cold weather and sitting up all night. Hearing this, he said he considered it as his pleasure and his routine to do so and continued his journeys despite strong wind and snow and spent nights full of enthusiasm.

Maybe, now that Kim is gone to the Great Helmsman in the Sky, we could intrude on his munificence to shower us with mountainous snow over the next three months?

He could divert it away from the weeping Korean masses - a win win scenario.

Maybe a few rice balls while he's at it........?

If there was a bit more "having uncomfortable sleep and taking rice-balls" around here there would be more snow. Simples innit! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

Anyone seen AO today wow is alli can say 14 days out its up at a plus 6 record high never seen it that high , if it turns neg all that cold air this will produce over the pole comes south i think we could very well see record cold in Eire . Lets hope it turns neg soon of course plenty of time yet.

Control run takes a trip south toward the end of the first week of January

186050.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

this thread is dead cya in January :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Absolutely gorgeous December day outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

this thread is dead cya in January :)

X2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

If by gorgeous you mean dull, overcast, damp with light drizzle blowing in the wind and still requiring a decent coat.

I agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Your neighbour must be Black Briar! :D I think that's his Bobcat. He used to post on here as well but he hasn't posted for a while. I do hope he's o.k.? :p

i hope he's ok too ;), he was always great at letting me know what the weather is like at the time where he was then ten mins later it would hit me here.

although i have a sneaky feeling he is still around these parts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

jimmy.d wrote: »

Meh.

I think Mark is having uncomfortable sleep and taking rice-balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I see he finally let go of the daft idea of a white Christmas, admitting, if very briefly, that he got it wrong. He didn't dwell on why he got it wrong, or why he continued to slate the "other forecasters" for going for a mild one, but I suppose an admission is an admission so we'll give him that one.

I'm still not convinced by him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

jimmy.d wrote: »

No Jimmy D, his forecast gives me absolutely no hope.

This is the guy who forecast a White Xmas for the UK and Ireland with the real brutal cold coming after Christmas Day and in the run up to new year with the severe cold going from 1st Jan to around the 10th/15th Jan. No sign of any such weather.

His reputation is in tatters and as Su Campu has pointed out before, Mark Vogan finds its difficult to admit he is wrong. His forecasts (particularly the recent one about how it could snow on Christmas Day 2011) are quite frankly, delusional.

Vogan has lost all credibility with me.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Lucreto wrote: »

If by gorgeous you mean dull, overcast, damp with light drizzle blowing in the wind and still requiring a decent coat.

I agree with you.

Was dry here on the west coast. No breeze or rain until it got dark. Nice and dry here today as well.

Anniversary of the below.

−18.7 °C (−1.7 °F)
    Castlederg
    23 December 2010

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

derekon wrote: »
    No Jimmy D, his forecast gives me absolutely no hope.

This is the guy who forecast a White Xmas for the UK and Ireland with the real brutal cold coming after Christmas Day and in the run up to new year with the severe cold going from 1st Jan to around the 10th/15th Jan. No sign of any such weather.

His reputation is in tatters and as Su Campu has pointed out before, Mark Vogan finds its difficult to admit he is wrong. His forecasts (particularly the recent one about how it could snow on Christmas Day 2011) are quite frankly, delusional.

Vogan has lost all credibility with me.

D

Agreed, I want all those minutes watching and listening to Vogan back!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement