Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the Republican campaign justifiable?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sir John Stevens views on 'the troubles' appear to be those of a naive and incompetent fool - or else someone acting in a duplicitous role to lubricate the 'peace process' at that time. His only specific comments apply to Nelson who ended up in jail. The idea that The UDA needed Nelson to kill members of The Nationalist community is hilarious. Nothing else of substance appears in this newspaper article.

So essentially any source that presents a narrative other than your own will be dismissed out of hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭trendyvicar

Nodin wrote: »
    He refers to them on page 15. I've no idea where theres an itemised list
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/special/2003/stevens/stevens.pdf

I'm afraid this figure includes Loyalist paramilitaries and others:
    Stevens 1 was set up on 25th August 1989 following the leaking of security force intelligence by loyalists anxious to prove that they were targeting active republicans rather than innocent Catholics such as Laughlin Maginn, whose murder led indirectly to the investigation. In May 1990 a summary of Stevens’ report was published, which confirmed that collusion had occurred but concluded that it was not widespread or institutionalised. Although many of the documents leaked to the loyalists originated from police files, not a single police officer was charged. As a result of this investigation, 94 people were arrested, of whom 59 people were charged or reported to the DPP, resulting in 47 prosecutions and 183 convictions for separate offences. 32 UDA members were charged with 153 offences, 146 of which resulted in convictions. 11 UDR soldiers were charged with 15 offences, all of which led to convictions. In addition to these 43 people, three others were charged with involvement in Loughlin Maginn’s murder. British military intelligence agent Brian Nelson was also convicted of five counts of conspiracy to murder – but not the murder of Belfast lawyer Patrick Finucane – and other charges relating to terrorism.

http://www.birw.org/inquiries_PatrickFinucaneStevens3.html

So essentially any source that presents a narrative other than your own will be dismissed out of hand.

You Irish are a lovely people. LOL

I don't go big on narratives, I tend to seek out facts - especially qualitative ones.

This whole thread has been relatively easy work for me. I've covered most of the ground many times before, as I'm sure you've already guessed.

Collusion is an important story to Irish Republicans for three main reasons:

(i) It can paint the security forces as no better than The IRA - it was a war after all old boy. LOL

(ii) It discredits The UK State's right to rule in NI.

(iii) It reassures those cowardly 'Free Staters' that Loyalists can't operate on their own without an SAS man to guide them - thus they'd be no threat to a United Ireland.

That's why it was worked so hard for so long.

Blair paid attention to this junk as part of the smoke screen he provided to Sinn Fein in order for them to facilitate The IRA's surrender. Personally, I think he went way to far - but he did have a legacy to create.

Anyway - crack on with your narrative...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

You Irish are a lovely people. LOL

I don't go big on narratives, I tend to seek out facts - especially qualitative ones.

This whole thread has been relatively easy work for me. I've covered most of the ground many times before, as I'm sure you've already guessed.

Collusion is an important story to Irish Republicans for three main reasons:

(i) It can paint the security forces as no better than The IRA - it was a war after all old boy. LOL

(ii) It discredits The UK State's right to rule in NI.

(iii) It reassures those cowardly 'Free Staters' that Loyalists can't operate on their own without an SAS man to guide them - thus they'd be no threat to a United Ireland.

That's why it was worked so hard for so long.

Blair paid attention to this junk as part of the smoke screen he provided to Sinn Fein in order for them to facilitate The IRA's surrender. Personally, I think he went way to far - but he did have a legacy to create.

Anyway - crack on with your narrative...

The irony.

You Irish are a lovely people. ...

Do please elaborate.
    I'm afraid this figure includes Loyalist paramilitaries and others:...

As the 'dirty work' was done by loyalists thats hardly suprising.

• Advertisement

Do please elaborate.

As the 'dirty work' was done by loyalists thats hardly suprising.

You're right - the 'dirty work' was done by Loyalists - and they didn't need someone to hold their hand whilst they were doing it and then arrest/jail them for it afterwords.

You're right - the 'dirty work' was done by Loyalists - and they didn't need someone to hold their hand whilst they were doing it and then arrest/jail them for it afterwords.

....evidently the did, going by the reports above.

You still haven't explained
    You Irish are a lovely people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Was just talking to the folks there about the UDR seeing as it's all the rage in this thread at the moment.

There was an attempt by the British/NI authorities to recruit Catholics into the force but it didn't go well from the start. Many Catholics became disillusioned when they seen the dullards who populated the Catholic hating B-Specials (special indeed) taking up positions in the force.

My Mother, who lived in a mixed religion country area in County Derry, was telling me that some of the Unionists who she knew who joined the UDR were barely able to write their own names and were staunch anti-Catholics - ignorance and hate are a dangerous mix.

My Father who comes from the Bogside of Derry was saying that the push to recruit Catholics was viewed with suspicion by many and was seen as an attempt to divide the Catholic community.

I have little doubt there were plenty of well-intentioned members of the unionist community in the UDR but it was doomed to become yet another Unionist militia because of some of the feeble minded anti-Catholic degenerates that were allowed to enroll.

Such lost opportunity.

He, he.You're a giggle Nodin. Do you not think word would have got around after twenty odd years?

Side splitting stuff.

Chuck Stone said:
    Was just talking to the folks there about the UDR seeing as it's all the rage in this thread at the moment.

There was an attempt by the British/NI authorities to recruit Catholics into the force but it didn't go well from the start.

It did go well at the start though. 18% of The UDR were RCs initially. Then the Republican propaganda and murders began...
    My Mother, who lived in a mixed religion country area in County Derry, was telling me that some of the Unionists who she knew who joined the UDR were barely able to write their own names and were staunch anti-Catholics - ignorance and hate are a dangerous mix.

You'd know all about that. LOL
    My Father who comes from the Bogside of Derry was saying that the push to recruit Catholics was viewed with suspicion by many and was seen as an attempt to divide the Catholic community.

By The IRA? LOL. Did Martin not like them? LOL
    I have little doubt there were plenty of well-intentioned members of the unionist community in the UDR but it was doomed to become yet another Unionist militia because of some of the feeble minded anti-Catholic degenerates that were allowed to enroll.

Such lost opportunity.

By the way 'Chuck', The UDR were never a militia (American or otherwise) - they were a regiment of The British Army.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

The IRA's surrender.
    ??? you keep saying that to yourself and trying to convince yourself of it but that's severely wrong. For someone who has posted practically 24/7 in this thread your lack of understanding of the Troubles and of this period of Irish history is beyond belief, your complete tunnel vision and pro-British agenda you're pursuing is staggering. If it were left to people with your mindset there would never have been any type of peace in Ireland but thankfully there was people on both sides of the divide who could see the bigger picture and a way forward.

It did go well at the start though. 18% of The UDR were RCs initially. Then the Republican propaganda and murders began...

The UDR recruited many men from the the dregs of the catholic-hating Unionist population. That's hardly a welcoming environment. But don't let that get in the way of your bias.
    By the way 'Chuck', The UDR were never a militia (American or otherwise) - they were a regiment of The British Army

The more LOL's and unnecessary bolding in your posts the less sense they make.

Meh. Just because you put a state sanctioned costume with shiny trinketry on the epaulettes on someone doesn't mean they can't be a terrorist.

It may have began with some vestiges of a noble cause but that didn't last long and it just ended up being another unionist militia.

Anyway I don't think you should be taken at all seriously as your thinly veiled hatred for all things Catholic and Irish is fairly apparent.
    Ireland's a joke, full of fools who think they're part of an independent nation.
    Sounds very like The Irish used to be manipulated regarding Northern Ireland. Must be a Catholic thing.
    Argentina - another bunch of clowns who don't know the meaning of self determination.
    I hate to tell you this mate, but The UK Armed Forces have always recruited 'knuckle draggers' - they love them in fact.

Wellington didn't call his Irish troops the scum of the earth for nothing...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75773030&postcount=75
    In many ways Ireland is psychologically more like Croatia or even a third world banana republic. But hey, The Irish will arrive in the modern world at some point - it just takes time and a decent educational system not based upon spinning romantic fantasies about how bad your neighbours are/were!.
    You suffer from some sort of mental illness in my opinion.

(i) The Irish story telling tradition.
    (ii) Discussion is crude propaganda - war by other means. Propaganda of the repetitive Goebbels style, rather than anything sophisticated - they [the Irish*] would be incapable of that.

*My clarification.

Haters gonna hate I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The UDR recruited many men from the the dregs of the catholic-hating Unionist population.

As distinct from those recruited by the IRA, who weren't fussy about who they murdered ?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    As distinct from those recruited by the IRA, who weren't fussy about who they murdered ?

Oh it's you.

It's like a game of snakes and ladders with you isn't it Liam?

You just slid down a snake right back to square one.

Oh it's you.

It's like a game of snakes and ladders with you isn't it Liam?

You just slid down a snake right back to square one.

No game when innocent people are murdered and people try to claim that those who murdered the most are the least evil.

Dotsey wrote: »
    ??? you keep saying that to yourself and trying to convince yourself of it but that's severely wrong. For someone who has posted practically 24/7 in this thread your lack of understanding of the Troubles and of this period of Irish history is beyond belief, your complete tunnel vision and pro-British agenda you're pursuing is staggering. If it were left to people with your mindset there would never have been any type of peace in Ireland but thankfully there was people on both sides of the divide who could see the bigger picture and a way forward.

Prove it.

The UDR recruited many men from the the dregs of the catholic-hating Unionist population. That's hardly a welcoming environment. But don't let that get in the way of your bias.

The more LOL's and unnecessary bolding in your posts the less sense they make.

Meh. Just because you put a state sanctioned costume with shiny trinketry on the epaulettes on someone doesn't mean they can't be a terrorist.

It may have began with some vestiges of a noble cause but that didn't last long and it just ended up being another unionist militia.

Anyway I don't think you should be taken at all seriously as your thinly veiled hatred for all things Catholic and Irish is fairly apparent.

*My clarification.

Haters gonna hate I guess.

I see you've worked out how to use the post search facility - you're obviously not Irish. LOL

No game when innocent people are murdered and people try to claim that those who murdered the most are the least evil.

I couldn't be bothered going over this again with you tbh. Your rebuke of my interpretation of the statistics got ripped to shreds by a number of posters yet you stick with it.

What was it that Albert Einstein said about doing something over and over again and expecting a different outcome?..

I couldn't be bothered going over this again with you tbh. Your rebuke of my interpretation of the statistics got ripped to shreds by a number of posters yet you stick with it.

What was it that Albert Einstein said about doing something over and over again and expecting a different outcome?..

That's the "ripped to shreds" where someone argued with me until they realised that it was your interpretation that the were disputing and that I was agreeing with them ?

Thanks for the laugh! :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

How many cases of collusion are proven and if collusion did happen as many people think, there was thousands of Ulster patriots who joined the volunteers. The way Republicans go on about collusion is laughable because if it was as big as they say, many more Nationalists would have been killed and PIRA members.

The police was actually putting Ulster volunteers in prison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

KeithAFC wrote: »
    How many cases of collusion are proven and if collusion did happen as many people think, there was thousands of Ulster patriots who joined the volunteers. The way Republicans go on about collusion is laughable because if it was as big as they say, many more Nationalists would have been killed and PIRA members.

The police was actually putting Ulster volunteers in prison.

From arming loyalist paramilitaries to directly encouraging UDA/UVF gunmen to target republican sympathisers to turning a blind eye to the sadistic torture and random murder of Catholics, collusion between the security forces and loyalists in Northern Ireland runs deep. Loyalist paramilitaries were effectively allies of British Army intelligence and the RUC, who viewed them as useful attack dogs in the war on Irish republicans and in terrorising and morally deflating Catholic/republican areas. At the same time, there were tensions between the British security forces and loyalists. The British pretty much held loyalists in contempt, and would rather not have worked with them at all. And of course, the authorities would arrest and imprison loyalist paramilitaries for periods of time, which helped to bolster the idea that Britain was a neutral arbiter in a ‘tit-for-tat’ conflict between two sets of mad Irishmen – loyalists on one side, and republicans on the other. In fact, as the evidence of collusion shows, the conflict was between the forces of the British state and their loyalist allies on one side, and republicans on the other.The way you and other posters go on here keith its as if you don't believe that it happened or that it was just small scale and yet you should know deep down that the Crown forces were on the unionist/loyalist side in this conflict.But you know all this anyway and it gets a bit pointless going on and on and on about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

realies wrote: »
    From arming loyalist paramilitaries to directly encouraging UDA/UVF gunmen to target republican sympathisers to turning a blind eye to the sadistic torture and random murder of Catholics, collusion between the security forces and loyalists in Northern Ireland runs deep. Loyalist paramilitaries were effectively allies of British Army intelligence and the RUC, who viewed them as useful attack dogs in the war on Irish republicans and in terrorising and morally deflating Catholic/republican areas. At the same time, there were tensions between the British security forces and loyalists. The British pretty much held loyalists in contempt, and would rather not have worked with them at all. And of course, the authorities would arrest and imprison loyalist paramilitaries for periods of time, which helped to bolster the idea that Britain was a neutral arbiter in a ‘tit-for-tat’ conflict between two sets of mad Irishmen – loyalists on one side, and republicans on the other. In fact, as the evidence of collusion shows, the conflict was between the forces of the British state and their loyalist allies on one side, and republicans on the other.The way you and other posters go on here keith its as if you don't believe that it happened or that it was just small scale and yet you should know deep down that the Crown forces were on the unionist/loyalist side in this conflict.But you know all this anyway and it gets a bit pointless going on and on and on about it.
    I never denied collusion. And frankly I don't blame people involved in collusion. Seeing your friends being blown apart and being attacked every day, it is enough to send anyone over the edge.

I never denied collusion. And frankly I don't blame people involved in collusion. Seeing your friends being blown apart and being attacked every day, it is enough to send anyone over the edge.

Yep can relate to that ok.

Actually isent that how this episode of the conflict started again,by a community being attacked & being put down at every opportunity by an over apartheid like government and people.

realies said:
    From arming loyalist paramilitaries

Detail please...
    to directly encouraging UDA/UVF gunmen to target republican sympathisers

Detail please...
    to turning a blind eye to the sadistic torture and random murder of Catholics

Detail please...
    collusion between the security forces and loyalists in Northern Ireland runs deep.

I think I've already proved that to be utter nonsense. But feel free to provide proof...

Loyalist paramilitaries were effectively allies of British Army intelligence and the RUC, who viewed them as useful attack dogs in the war on Irish republicans and in terrorising and morally deflating Catholic/republican areas.

You might be right there - but again, let's see some proof...
    At the same time, there were tensions between the British security forces and loyalists.

Yes - 10 000+ Loyalists in jail probably made for difficult dinner parties!

The British pretty much held loyalists in contempt, and would rather not have worked with them at all.

Are you sure about that? - The contempt bit I mean...

And of course, the authorities would arrest and imprison loyalist paramilitaries for periods of time, which helped to bolster the idea that Britain was a neutral arbiter in a ‘tit-for-tat’ conflict between two sets of mad Irishmen – loyalists on one side, and republicans on the other.

Yes - they imprisoned over 10 000 of them.
    In fact, as the evidence of collusion shows, the conflict was between the forces of the British state and their loyalist allies on one side, and republicans on the other.

Well, not really old boy. The best you can say is that The UK State got lucky with all those Loyalist volunteers.
    The way you and other posters go on here keith its as if you don't believe that it happened or that it was just small scale and yet you should know deep down that the Crown forces were on the unionist/loyalist side in this conflict.

Sympathetic to the same goals perhaps realies...

He, he.You're a giggle Nodin. Do you not think word would have got around after twenty odd years?

Side splitting stuff.

You stated

You Irish are a lovely people.

Please explain.

realies said:

Detail please...
    Joint membership of the UDA (which had objectives incompatible with those of HMG) and the UDR, became widespread, and at the same time the rate of UDR weapons losses greatly increased. Subsequently a number of UDR members with traces in other subversive organisations have come to note.

Some members of the UDR, who also belong to subversive groups, undoubtedly lead 'double lives', and even with the aid of intelligence it is occasionally difficult to persuade a CO that one of his men is a risk. Indicative, but not typical, is the case of a member of 1 UDR, apparently a good citizen (the Deputy Chairman of a District Council) who had the following traces:
    a. Subject was OC of Ballymena UDA
    b. Subject had obtained ammunition for the UDA
    c. Subject was suspected of illegal arms dealings, and of acquiring an SLR and an SMG in Scotland, and of selling them to the UDA.

He was however described by his CO as 'a model soldier'.

It seems likely that a significant proportion (perhaps five per cent - in some areas as high as 15 per cent) of UDR soldiers will also be members of the UDA, Vanguard service corps, Orange Volunteers or UVF.

LOSS OF ARMS AND AMMUNITION

11. Since the beginning of the current campaign the best single source of weapons (and the only significant source of modern weapons) for Protestant extremist groups has been the UDR. The details of UDR arms losses for 1972/3 are set out below:

a. 1972

LOST/STOLEN AT ARMOURY OR ON DUTY LOST/STOLEN AT HOME OR ON WAY TO HOME TOTALS

SLR 102
    -62 were recovered shortly after the Lurgan arms theft. 38 140
    - 62 of these were recovered shortly after the Lurgan arms theft

SMG 24
    - 8 were recovered shortly after the Lurgan arms theft 4 28
    - 8 were recovered shortly after the Lurgan arms theft

PISTOL 7 15 22
    TOTAL 135

( - 70 of these were recovered shortly after the Lurgan arms theft) 57 190
    ( - 70 of these were recovered shortly after the Lurgan arms theft.

You're seriously losing any vestige of credibility you might have had before you started denying reality.

You're really doing your partisan view of the conflict no good. Indeed you're only reinforcing that there was no talking to people like you.

You keep trying to convince yourself that your crowd were just being fine up-standing people and any aberration is excused away by the 'no true Scotsman' logical fallacy.

You mean like repeatedly planting bombs that murder civilians while pretending that you're not targeting them ?

By the 3rd or 4th bomb Einstein's theory would probably imply that any deaths were pretty deliberate alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

ralies wrote: »
    Let all that hatred out,and justify the murder of innocents.

I don't hate anybody and your one line statement seems typical of a poster who does not want to know what was happening up there and is not interested in finding out why that conflict happened in the first place, If only the world was such a peaceful and friendly place where wars/conflicts did not happen and no hurt or oppression or other foreign governments policy was enforced on any one people, Alas it was never that way and it never will be imo.

• Advertisement

realies wrote:
    and no hurt or oppression or other foreign governments policy was enforced on any one people,

Sounds a bit like the current administration's austerity plan.......

So who am I entitled to go out and murder as a result ?

That's right : no-one.

Advertisement