Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

leakyboots wrote: »
    I think poor auld Throb Kearney is slightly deluded.

I think you should read the article in full!
    Perfect answer there from Kearney, Leinster media training is obviously paying off!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

leakyboots wrote: »
    I think poor auld Throb Kearney is slightly deluded.

Kearney wants Ireland captaincy but insists he's 'not ready' yet
    By Hugh Farrelly

Friday December 16 2011

ROB KEARNEY says he would welcome the "highest honour" of captaining Ireland, but believes Paul O'Connell or Rory Best are the best options heading into the Six Nations.

With Brian O'Driscoll unavailable until the end of the season, Ireland need a new captain for the Six Nations and Kearney's name has been suggested as a candidate alongside existing vice-captains O'Connell and Best.

The full-back does not turn 26 until March and would fit the age profile if Ireland seek a long-term leader to take them towards the World Cup in England in 2015.

However, while Kearney says he was flattered when his name was linked with the role, he believes there are stronger candidates available to coach Declan Kidney.

"When your name is mentioned as having the attributes for that role, you take it as a compliment," said Kearney, who captained Ireland U-19s at the World Cup in 2005. "It is the highest honour and what you want to do.

"But it comes down to putting your best captain out there to win the game. Rory and Paul are the vice-captains and that would suggest they are the best options.

"I think it's a role you grow into. It is difficult for full-backs because you are not in the heat of the action, and you want your captain to be an inspirational figure, and sometimes full-back is a difficult position to be inspirational.

"But every player wants to captain their country, so we will see down the line."

Kearney is set to be named today at full-back in Leinster's team to face Bath in the Aviva tomorrow, with several changes likely to be made to the side that won 18-13 in The Rec last weekend.

This could mean a midfield partnership of Eoin O'Malley at 13 and Fergus McFadden at 12 in place of Gordon D'Arcy. Cian Healy, Devin Toner, Shane Jennings and Eoin Reddan could also return.

- Hugh Farrelly

It looks like others are mentioning him and he's saying he doesn't think he'd be right for it but it is something that every rugby player would want. Nothing wrong with that. Although you'd have to wonder who is suggesting him in the first place....

molloyjh wrote: »
    It looks like others are mentioning him and he's saying he doesn't think he'd be right for it but it is something that every rugby player would want. Nothing wrong with that. Although you'd have to wonder who is suggesting him in the first place....

Indeed, he'd be one of the last on most lists I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

He'd be about sixth on my list behind best, poc, heaslip, sob, sexton....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭leakyboots

durkadurka wrote: »

Throw in Ferris there too, he'd be a great captain actually.

Just don't think Kearney would inspire the troops much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

durkadurka wrote: »
    He'd have a few attributes needed to take the role imo but I think Rob said it best himself
    It is difficult for full-backs because you are not in the heat of the action, and you want your captain to be an inspirational figure, and sometimes full-back is a difficult position to be inspirational.

Look at Duffy in Connacht, what did the ref say last week, something like, I'm not holding up the game to wait for a fullback to get up to the action so I can explain myself to a fullback

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

He should be more concerned with keeping his Ireland jersey tbh. If Felix Jones/AnOther manages to get ahead of him for the Irish team, he might start finding it much more difficult keeping his place for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Jones would need to be playing rugby on a regular basis to even begin to challenge him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

No way Kearney should be anywhere near captain. Has he ever even captained Leinster? POC, Best, Heaslip, SOB, Sexton all ahead of him.

He should be more concerned with keeping his Ireland jersey tbh. If Felix Jones/AnOther manages to get ahead of him for the Irish team, he might start finding it much more difficult keeping his place for Leinster.

Jones has barely played HEC rugby (has he at all), and Kearney is a starring test lion who played very well at the World Cup. The fact that the captaincy question is being asked of him shows how high regard he is held in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Considering Duffy never gets a look in Kearneys biggest threat to the Ireland 15 jersey is bizarrely the Fijian New Zealander Isa Nacewa at Leinster!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

wixfjord wrote: »
    Jones has barely played HEC rugby (has he at all)

I think he's played two Amlin Cup games but no Hec games. According to the Munster site he's started 16 games in total for Munster. He's full of potential but still has a long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Well Earls has been brought straight into the Munster team at 13 this weekend. Any hope of a sensible replacement for BOD next feb just went out the window.

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    Well Earls has been brought straight into the Munster team at 13 this weekend. Any hope of a sensible replacement for BOD next feb just went out the window.

It will most likely be a straight shootout between Earls and Cave. As much as I like EOM as a player he doesn't have the size to be an international 13. It's a very worrying sign when a player is dwarfed by D'Arcy. Earls may not be a giant either and his tackling technique is oft criticised but, technique can be taught, size cannot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

It will most likely be a straight shootout between Earls and Cave. As much as I like EOM as a player he doesn't have the bulk to be an international 13. It's a very worrying sign when a player is dwarfed by D'Arcy. Earls may not be a giant either and his tackling technique is oft criticised but, technique can be taught, size cannot.

Ohhh right, all that work they do in the gym is just for the craic so.

Honest to god.

It will most likely be a straight shootout between Earls and Cave. As much as I like EOM as a player he doesn't have the bulk to be an international 13. It's a very worrying sign when a player is dwarfed by D'Arcy. Earls may not be a giant either and his tackling technique is oft criticised but, technique can be taught, size cannot.

:p
    Oh Captain my captain!

CatFromHue wrote: »

Considering Duffy never gets a look in Kearneys biggest threat to the Ireland 15 jersey is bizarrely the Fijian New Zealander Isa Nacewa at Leinster!!!

That's essentially the point I'm making. No chance Kearney should be even considered as he is only keeping his club jersey because he has no competitors for the Irish jersey.

How any one is looking past POC is ridiculous too. Along with Ferris he is the best IQ player we have and also happens to be one of the most recognised captains on the world. How any other player is in consideration is bizarre.

danthefan wrote: »

Ohhh right, all that work they do in the gym is just for the craic so.

Honest to god.

Can you point me to any gym where I can shown how to grow 6inches?

Earls is 5'11". EOM is 5'10", which happens to be the same height as a certain Brian O'Driscoll. You are, once again, talking absolute rubbish.

danthefan wrote: »

Earls is 5'11". EOM is 5'10", which happens to be the same height as a certain Brian O'Driscoll. You are, once again, talking absolute rubbish.

I find that hard to believe that either players are that tall tbh. EOM looks to be giving 2/3 inches to D'Arcy whenever I've seen him play. Neither are big enough to be a modern international centre really but, we don't have many alternatives (Cave/Spence aside).

If there's only the inch in it, it will be solely down to who performs better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

As much as I like EOM as a player he doesn't have the size to be an international 13. It's a very worrying sign when a player is dwarfed by D'Arcy
    He isn't "dwarfed" by d'Arcy. He's around the same height and around 90kg.
    Height has very little to do with success on the field as a midfield rugby player.

JustinDee wrote: »

Heard Emmet Byrne (or maybe Toland) saying he saw EOM standing right beside BOD recently and there wasn't much in it either.

Captain Blackbeard in talking down the competition shocker.

O Malley:
    Height 1.78 m (5' 10")
    Weight 88 kg (13 st 11 lb)

Earls:
    HEIGHT 1.80 m (5' 11")
    WEIGHT 90 kg (14 st 1 lb)

Darcy:
    Height 1.80 m (5' 11")
    Weight 93 kg (14 st 8 lb)

I don't think you need to be big to be effective in rugby. Jason Robinson, Peter Stringer, Shane Williams, George Gregan, and Neil Back have all showed this. O Malley coped well with Rougerie last year and in all probability will have always played against bigger centres growing up. The key in my opinion to a good defense is technique, technique, and technique.
    That's essentially the point I'm making. No chance Kearney should be even considered as he is only keeping his club jersey because he has no competitors for the Irish jersey.

How any one is looking past POC is ridiculous too. Along with Ferris he is the best IQ player we have and also happens to be one of the most recognised captains on the world. How any other player is in consideration is bizarre.

I don't think anyone, except for Farrelly possibly, is considering Kearney for Captain. In the article itself he says there are far better contenders.

While he does have a bit of a fancydan public persona he did have some strong opinions in the Ireland meeting before the Grand Slam 6 Nations and Keith Earls has said that he was a help on the Lions tour. He is an important part of the Ireland set up in both on and off the field matters.

I actually have a bit of a love hate relationship with him. He is brilliant and some part of his game and is a pretty clued in guy but there are some other parts of his game which I would consider below bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

It will most likely be a straight shootout between Earls and Cave. As much as I like EOM as a player he doesn't have the size to be an international 13. It's a very worrying sign when a player is dwarfed by D'Arcy. Earls may not be a giant either and his tackling technique is oft criticised but, technique can be taught, size cannot.

EOM is 88kg, Earls is 90kg...... we better make sure no one sits on EOM, he'd be squashed like a bug.

Using the technique of selectively picking examples to prove a point (very popular around these parts).

EOM handled Rougerie quite well last season.
    Earl's didn't handle Tuilagi very well earlier this year.

Earl's didn't handle Tuilagi very well earlier this year.

Other than the try I thought he did all right against Tuilagi.

JustinDee wrote: »
    Height has very little to do with success on the field as a midfield rugby player.

Height has a huge role to play.

The taller you are, the more mass you can comfortably pack on without negativitly affecting your game. The more mass you have, the easier it is for you generate momemtum. The more momentum you have, the harder you are to stop. The harder you are to stop, the more likely you are to break the gainline. The more likely you are to break the gainline, the more attention the opposition defense will have to afford you. The more attention the opposition defense affords you, the more room your team will have out wide. etc. etc.

Sure, there are a huge number of variables and exception but, there is a very good reason why all the best international teams have at least one giant in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Other than the try I thought he did all right against Tuilagi.

Yep he did all right other than the try that should never have been scored and was an unforgivable defensive lapse and which probably cost us that game.

The taller you are, the more mass you can comfortably pack on without negativitly affecting your game. The more mass you have, the easier it is for you generate momemtum. The more momentum you have, the harder you are to stop. The harder you are to stop, the more likely you are to break the gainline. The more likely you are to break the gainline, the more attention the opposition defense will have to afford you. The more attention the opposition defense affords you, the more room your team will have out wide. etc. etc.

Sure, there are a huge number of variables and exception but, there is a very good reason why all the best international teams have at least one giant in the centre.

2cm.

Would you argue that a peanut wasn't actually a nut? Because that's where you're getting to in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So then why were Darce and BOD considered one of the best partnerships in international rugby for years? They may not be any more, but that's more to do with age and recent drops in form, but neither are big tall men and both are held in very high regard. BOD is considered to be one of the best centres in the game.

All of the above totally ignores the fact that Earls and EOM are the same size. An inch is nothing. So if you're going to discount EOM on size then you have to discount Earls (and all our other centres) too. Of course that wouldn't suit your agenda would it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Is this guy seriously debating about two friggin inches.....Imagine if Lomu was 2 inches shorter, would he have even made the All Blacks squad I wonder..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement