Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office of An Coimisinéir Teanga to be Closed.

Options
  • 19-11-2011 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭

An Coimisinéir Teanga

The Government has announced that it is going to close the Office of An Coimisinéir Teanga and transfer its functions to the Office of the Ombudsman as part of its public sector reform plan.

The problem with this is that the Government announced only a couple of weeks ago a public consultation as part of a review of the Official Languages Act which includes the role and functions of the Office of An Coimisinéir Teanga. It's seams they are asking the public to engage in a consultation on an Office they have already decided to close:rolleyes:

The other problem is that there are no savings to be made. No-one will lose their jobs. If anything, there will be greater expense to the exchequer if they attempt to move the current staff to the Ombudsman's Office in Dublin.

The question has to be asked, How does the Government view the rights of Irish speakers in Ireland.

People have already been protesting against this decision outside the Dáil.

315024_2639882366066_1525744385_32687667_1743623837_n.jpg

302307_2640127532195_1525744385_32687889_656894017_n.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

The other problem is that there are no savings to be made. No-one will lose their jobs. If anything, there will be greater expense to the exchequer if they attempt to move the current staff to the Ombudsman's Office
    This is true, but maybe the review of the OLA will provide the answers.

The OLA and the Language Commissioner's role and extraordinary powers are a relic of the discredited Fianna Fail regime's profligate policies and it is sensible that a more rational and economically sound view be taken of how to preserve a language which is the primary tongue of a small number of our population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

FG are totally against irish culture sure didn't Gay Mitchel want to join the common wealth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

FG are totally against irish culture sure didn't Gay Mitchel want to join the common wealth

How does this prove that he or FG are against Irish culture?

Ridiculous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

This is true, but maybe the review of the OLA will provide the answers.

The OLA and the Language Commissioner's role and extraordinary powers are a relic of the discredited Fianna Fail regime's profligate policies and it is sensible that a more rational and economically sound view be taken of how to preserve a language which is the primary tongue of a small number of our population.

What extraordinary powers does An Comisinéir Teanga have? X-Ray vision?

Closing the Office dose not seam rational or economically sound to me, perhaps you would care to expand on the point?

What extraordinary powers does An Comisinéir Teanga have? X-Ray vision?
    The power to force public bodies to use Irish and to fine or imprison people who don't comply.
    As for closing the office, there are no savings to be made form doing it, what's economically sound about that?
    Saving on rent, redundant staff ( eventually) and savings when the powers granted by Fianna Fail are no longer imposed and we only need to use one official language.

• Advertisement

The power to force public bodies to use Irish and to fine or imprison people who don't comply.

Do you consider it extraordinary for Public Bodies to be expected to comply with the law, of for their to be sanctions for people breaking the law?
    Saving on rent, redundant staff ( eventually) and savings when the powers granted by Fianna Fail are no longer imposed and we only need to use one official language.

So minimal savings years from now at the expense of peoples language rights? No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

surely we should encourage people / companies / government departments to speak irish

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

I hope that we will see a review of the OLA soon, such that many of the requirements be removed. I have been emailing TDs with my view on this issue. For instance, many perfectly good signs will need to be replaced my the end of next year I think is the deadline.

I was on the Luas recently, looked up at the stop information and couldn't figure out most of the stops; was a pain in the ass.

Hopefully, this is a step towards a review of OLA.

surely we should encourage people / companies / government departments to speak irish
    At what cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Sica

So minimal savings years from now at the expense of peoples language rights? No thanks.

These are the savings in "backroom bureaucrats" that the public have been demanding for months. You can't cut public sector jobs and expect to be able to retain the same level of public services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Id be interested in engaging with the protestors views, but unfortunately, they seem to have written their signs in a language that neither I nor 98% of the modern Irish population can understand.

Do you consider it extraordinary for Public Bodies to be expected to comply with the law, of for their to be sanctions for people breaking the law?
    The law itself is extraordinary in the huge costs it proposes to impose on society.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sand wrote: »
    Id be interested in engaging with the protestors views, but unfortunately, they seem to have written their signs in a language that neither I nor 98% of the modern Irish population can understand.

98%? There's a lot more Irish out there than you think. Most of the signs are bilingual anyway from what I can see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Ignorance is bliss eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Ah here, if you want to blame anyone for the downfall of the first language, first set your sights on the Tuiseal Ginideach. Forget reform of the Junior Cert, reform the genitive case instead.

Maidir leis an gCoimisinéir ata i gceist, does anyone have a link to anything that outlines the savings that are to be made by this move?

It does seem a little strange not to simply move the Coimisinéir into another office, as opposed to abolishing his office entirely and bringing the responsibility elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Office of An Coimisinéir Teanga to be Closed.

Good.

I wasn't even aware that it was open....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Good riddance. Another useless quango that no one will really miss. If people are getting worked up over this, what hope have we got to get the country back to an even keel.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all behind Irish culture and the Irish language. However, I don't think forcing public bodies to translate 100 page reports into Irish does a single thing for the language. The only thing this kind of initiative ever did was:
    - impose unnecessary costs on the public service
    - create a small number of fake jobs for some Irish speakers to translate these documents

It did nothing to foster a real love of the language amongst the people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

We don't have any money to pay for this type of nonsense office.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Commissioner

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Surely its possible to encourage people/companies/government departments to speak Irish without forcing them to.

If there is a demand for Irish languages services the businesses and the public sector alike will create those services to cater for that demand. Unfortunately a lot of policy behind promoting the Irish language has been coercive and coercion is never going to foster a love for the Irish language.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

raymon wrote: »
    We don't have any money to pay for this type of nonsense office.
    The role is still extant, per se, it's just being adapted into another man's workload.

Even the McCarthy report didn't recommend its closure, it took the view that the closure would be pointless. So it isn't clear what the benefit is here, or if there is any.

Maidir leis an gCoimisinéir ata i gceist, does anyone have a link to anything that outlines the savings that are to be made by this move?

As far as I can tell there will be no real savings to this move, it will probably cost money if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

As far as I can tell there will be no real savings to this move, it will probably cost money if anything.

If it did save money you wouldn't mind it being abolished?

Where did you get the notion that only two percent of the population can understand Irish?

The Main slogans on the signs that were not Bilingual were 'Keep our Commissioner', 'Support our Commissioner' and 'Act without a Commissioner, act without a soul'.

So feel free to engage away now that you have been enlightened.

dsmythy wrote: »
    If it did save money you wouldn't mind it being abolished?

Of course I would mind, but at least there would be some logic to it.

Of course I would mind, but at least there would be some logic to it.
    The logic is that it signals a downgrading of the office of Irish language enforcement. A review of the hugely expensive obligations created by Fianna Fail will follow and some sanity will hopfully return to Irish language preservation policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

How much would we save if every government documant/report didn't have to be translated into Irish:eek:

The logic is that it signals a downgrading of the office of Irish language enforcement. A review of the hugely expensive obligations created by Fianna Fail will follow and some sanity will hopfully return to Irish language preservation policy.

Hugely Expensive? I haven't seen the figures, perhaps you would be kind enough to provide them.

I would also like to know what you would consider sanity when it comes to the 'Irish language preservation policy'.

rodento wrote: »
    How much would we save if every government documant/report didn't have to be translated into Irish:eek:

I don't know, but that's hardily relevant anyway as not even close to every document is translated as it stands.

• Advertisement

rodento wrote: »

Lots. Not only because of the saving in translation costs but also because the Government would start using much more intelligent use of the internet - the reason why Irish Government websites are so poor is because of the obligation to translate everything into Irish - they can't afford the translation costs so don't put ANYTHING on their websites.

Advertisement