Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    To the person looking to know when it's out in Ireland,

Out today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Great film. The cinematography is flawless IMO so I doubt the budget was very low.

The budget for Snowtown was $2.5m AUD (about €1.85m)

It was made by a first time director. The writer had only produced a couple of scripts for episodes of TV shows.The biggest name in the cast had only ever had a bit part in a soap opera and the rest of the cast had no acting experience at all.

Your right, the cinematography is flawless, that said it doesn't look like any of it required high end equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

I watched John Carpenters 'They Live' last night. I really enjoyed it, the music was very Terminator-esque and there were some terrific one liners in.

Was Duke Nukem based on the lead character i wonder?

It had a fairly strong message in relation to television, consumerism and the 'elite' elements in society.

'They live, we sleep' is an excellent phrase. :D

Have been doing a bit of a John Carpenter retorspective, watched They Live last night. Feckin' great show. Now I have to face up to the grim, grim neccessity of having to watch Vampires & Ghosts of Mars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Gee Bag wrote: »
    The budget for Snowtown was $2.5m AUD (about €1.85m)

It was made by a first time director. The writer had only produced a couple of scripts for episodes of TV shows.The biggest name in the cast had only ever had a bit part in a soap opera and the rest of the cast had no acting experience at all.

Your right, the cinematography is flawless, that said it doesn't look like any of it required high end equipment.

Makes it all the more impressive, what a début

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I watched something called The Arbour today. It was a sort-of documentary/biography about the late British playright Andrea Dunbar, who wrote the movie "Rita, Sue and Bob too"

It uses recorded audio from interviews of the friends and family of Dunbar and has actors lip-syncing over it. It also has some performances of excerpts of her work.

It was really excellent and very strange. Definitely something different stylistically unique and tells a very dramatic story. I'd definitely recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

The Hang Over 2

I liked it ... but
    its a complete rehash of the first one. It should be classed as a remake rather than sequel because everything, absolutely everything was done again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

ides of march, new version.. pretty good ,been mentioned on here already, i think clooney would make an excellent serial killer in a 7even type film

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Donnie Brasco. Half decent mafia movie with a great performance from Al Pacino. As usual.
    Michael Madsen miscast as an underboss the only thing that really irked me about the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Barry Lyndon. Kubrick does it again, a quite brilliant piece of film making. Despite its 3 hours length I never found it dragging at any point. Each character brought something good to the film and it was easy to sympathise with each. Ryan O Neal was brilliant in the title role and I found myself rooting for him despite his coldness.

Visually it was stunning, helped along by a beautiful score. Highly recommended.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Terri - a curious, engaging little film. Falls into some overfamiliar 'indie' movie pitfalls along the way - a twinkly soundtrack (eerily reminiscent of Eternal Sunshine's at times), the occasional moment of quirk for quirks sake, John C. Reilly. But this tale of an overweight boy in his pyjamas emerges as a likable story. He's surrounded by outcasts, and it's an outsiders coming-of-age story. Also a slightly offbeat 'inspirational teacher' story, where the teacher is as eccentric and socially inept as the kids he tries to motivate.

Not perfect, but the characters are consistently interesting (and excellent performances), and there are some unexpected, dark events throughout. The writer and director aren't afraid of a bit of humour either, despite the generally grim material (there's a surprisingly funny
    funeral
    sequence).

Billed as a 'Sundance hit!' it's not as blatantly crowd-pleasing as some of the stuff to have endured that billing in the past, if held back from greatness by its indulgence in American indie tropes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings last night at the Grand Canal Theater, absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings last night at the Grand Canal Theater, absolutely fantastic.

I was at it too, what a fantasic experience!!! I wasnt expecting it to be the entire film! It was just amazing. I had chills down my spine! :D

Im looking forward to the Two Towers now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

SarahBM wrote: »
    I was at it too, what a fantasic experience!!! I wasnt expecting it to be the entire film! It was just amazing. I had chills down my spine! :D

Im looking forward to the Two Towers now :D

Looking forward to it as well. Definitely going if I get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Watched The Guard last night, really enjoyed it. Gleeson was excellent with great support from Don Cheadle and Liam Cunningham.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Tower Heist: Actually a very enjoyable film. Didn't have a lot of expectation going in but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It's not exactly a comedy as such even though the TV spots seem to potray it as such.

Had a few funny lines in it but it's actually a pretty decent heist film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

The Butterfly Effect - Utter tosh. Ok, so Ashton Kucher is a pretty boy, I get that. But he makes Keanu Reeves look like Larry Olivier and the plot is all over the shop.

Apocalypto - Superb, first movie since City of God that I just didn't want to end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Aidric wrote: »
    Barry Lyndon. Kubrick does it again, a quite brilliant piece of film making. Despite its 3 hours length I never found it dragging at any point. Each character brought something good to the film and it was easy to sympathise with each. Ryan O Neal was brilliant in the title role and I found myself rooting for him despite his coldness.

Visually it was stunning, helped along by a beautiful score. Highly recommended.

A gorgeous film. And with a dry humour that reminded me of Kind Hearts and Coronets - another classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The Resident

Hilary Swank and co in a film about a land lord (Jeffrey dean Morgan) who obsesses over his new tenant (herself).

Jesus, where to start? This is new to sky movies this week so you can watch it whenever you want on sky anytime. Don't bother. It's terrible. What annoyed me more than the fact that it has no thrills or spills was the silly makes-no-sense sub-plot/plot vehicle that was Christopher Lee's character. Why did he, or anyone in this, agree to take part? Stay away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Have been doing a bit of a John Carpenter retorspective, watched They Live last night. Feckin' great show. Now I have to face up to the grim, grim neccessity of having to watch Vampires & Ghosts of Mars.

Well whatever you do, don't watch The Ward. An absolute pile of piss.

So it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas Enjoyed this a lot, very funny in parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas Enjoyed this a lot, very funny in parts.

I just could not get into that movie at all. Johnny depp just annoyed me in it. I liked the book however just didnt think it translated well to film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As loyal an adaption as Fear and Loathing, I just don't think it manages to retain the mad, aggressive energy of the book over the running time. For a while, maybe, but by the time the film finished I was long past exhausted. With the book, I was delirious and wanted more.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Watched Cowboys & Aliens there last night. Fairly enjoyable but was mostly 'meh'. I felt Sam Rockwell was wasted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Snowtown - I really fail to see the point of a movie like this, the 90 minutes of it that I watched didn't achieve anything that 10 minutes on wiki reading about the murders didn't achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mcmacness

Went to see Breaking Dawn on Friday night, I quite enjoyed it, having been a fan before and read all the books. I thought that they way they portrayed certain aspects of the book that were quite a far stretch, were done well and not too OTT or CGI. Loads of people knock it but its like Star Wars or something similar that I have never seen. I can say that I think it would be ****e or whatever but I enjoyed it (Breaking Dawn) for what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Just watched Dogtooth.....Don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't that...Strange, awkward, disturbing, funny...I liked it but I'd say Joseph Fritzl loved it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Snowtown - I really fail to see the point of a movie like this, the 90 minutes of it that I watched didn't achieve anything that 10 minutes on wiki reading about the murders didn't achieve.
    ?

Really? Fantastic acting, gripping scenes and near perfect cinematography don't float your boat?! :confused:

It's probably the only film I've ever seen that goes some way to understanding how serial killers can live among normal people unnoticed or ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

went to see immortals at the weekend. Felt it could have been so much better.
    The action scenes were good but there wasnt much in the way of a story

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Werner Herzog's Nosferatu.

I would have thought it was pointless to re-make such an iconic film, but I would have been wrong. I loved it. Klaus Kinski and Isabelle Adjani burn up the screen. It's visually stunning and despite being surprisingly faithful to both sources a true filmic adaptation. Stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I saw the Awakening this weekend.
    Amazing thriller, in the style of The Others. Lots of suspense, got scared in a couple of scenes. . .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement