Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hey Claralara, you must do what suits you and what you want to do, don't listen to the naysayers.

Some people think that if you do loads of easy miles (which you will effectively be doing for the next few months) you are somehow going to get slow :rolleyes:. that is total rubbish. I took 6 minutes off my HM PB last winter and 9 of my mara PB (with no taper) while setting 5 and 10 miles PB's (I set a PB in every race I did in fact), all while training on predominantly easy miles for Conn Ultra.
    Get some speedy runs in when you can and i can guarantee you you'll be smashing all your PB's over the winter. An iltra base will also make you very strong for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hey Claralara, you must do what suits you and what you want to do, don't listen to the naysayers.

Some people think that if you do loads of easy miles (which you will effectively be doing for the next few months) you are somehow going to get slow :rolleyes:. that is total rubbish. I took 6 minutes off my HM PB last winter and 9 of my mara PB (with no taper) while setting 5 and 10 miles PB's (I set a PB in every race I did in fact), all while training on predominantly easy miles for Conn Ultra.
    Get some speedy runs in when you can and i can guarantee you you'll be smashing all your PB's over the winter. An iltra base will also make you very strong for the rest of the year.

Imagine what you could have done with race specific training? :P

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Imagine what you could have done with race specific training? :P

Yeah, miss my PB by 2 minutes on an easier course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Now before i get onto the real issue of the bould Claralara doing Conn Ultra, i need to disagree here with Mr Meno and i have an example.

Simon 5 mile race Oct 2010 - You beat me by a second at most. Epic battle and all that jazz, ask RQ.

Raheny 5 mile Jan 2011 - i beat you by over a minute (not sure on time gap but i was way ahead).

You were training for an ultra and possibly in peak training plan mode and i had barely done anything after Dublin due to injury and snow/ice.

Training for an ultra blunts your speed, there's no two ways about it. And don't come on and tell me that you didn't race it or i'll set the cat on you. You did race it as you told me so after the race.

Anyone who watches horse racing had a perfect example of this last Saturday - Sizing Europe, a champion 2 miler got beaten in a 3 mile chase as his turn of foot was gone due to distance and going.

You lose your speed for a while but it will come back along with the bonus of increased stamina. You will break PBs alright but its the training phase afterwards when you concentrate on a distance is when you'll really break them.

chinguetti wrote: »
    Simon 5 mile race Oct 2010 - You beat me by a second at most. Epic battle and all that jazz, ask RQ.

Raheny 5 mile Jan 2011 - i beat you by over a minute (not sure on time gap but i was way ahead).

I was over a minute faster in Raheny than I was in the simon 5 mile race (that's not a bad improvement in 4 months- both runs were PBs at the time). The only reason I beat you in the simon race was because you obviously didn't race it. I certainly raced both!! The Raheny 5 mile time is still my official 5 mile PB.

As I pointed to in diggers log, this post describes what I am trying to say more eloquently.

• Advertisement

And now to Claralara.

Boss if you want to do an Ultra, good luck with all the training and hope you enjoy it. I'm sure i'll be wandering around the Park at some stage over the winter trying to keep up.

The thought of doing an Ultra doesn't float my boat but many things don't float my boat these days (Ugg boots, people who walk out in front of cyclists, people who discuss English soccer teams as 'us' and 'we'....you get the drift).

You know best your circumstances and what time is available for you to train so rock on. Once you're not wearing the Ugg boots while running cause that would upset me:D

I was over a minute faster in Raheny than I was in the simon 5 mile race (that's not a bad improvement in 4 months- both runs were PBs at the time). The only reason I beat you in the simon race was because you obviously didn't race it. I certainly raced both!! The Raheny 5 mile time is still my official 5 mile PB.

As I pointed to in diggers log, this post describes what I am trying to say more eloquently.

Nope, i raced Simon as it was part of Dublin training. I did the same thing i do every race, started at the back and picked people off as i went.

IIRC, we ran together for the first bit until the main road and then you tore away and i didn't see you again until the S bends and you said you were dying going up the Kyber.

Don't know my time off hand but it was 33 and change i think for Simon.

Didn't know you were a minute faster in Raheny, not a bad improvement alright.

Don't know my time off hand but it was 33 and change i think for Simon.

Didn't know you were a minute faster in Raheny, not a bad improvement alright.

I ran 33.47 for the Simon Race (IIRC the offical time was a little faster because of what seemed to be a faulty timing sytem which gave everyone a fast result.
    Here is the garmin link. You were obviously about 0.02 of a second behind.

I ran 32:45 in raheny and you were low 31's I think. i don't think you can possibly say you raced the Simon race flat out.

31.38 in Raheny i think.

Training plans don't agree with me was what i learnt during Dublin training last year. My legs just can't take the pounding.

I did race it all out on the day, its just that if i do no training, i seem to be faster. 7 PBs thus far this year kinda back that up in my eyes but i can see how, if you read the bare numbers it looks like i didn't race it.

Ye all keep giving out to me for starting near the back of fields and for not training so ye know i'm not winding ye up.

If i knew why, i'ld bottle it and sell it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

And now to Claralara.

Boss if you want to do an Ultra, good luck with all the training and hope you enjoy it. I'm sure i'll be wandering around the Park at some stage over the winter trying to keep up.

The thought of doing an Ultra doesn't float my boat but many things don't float my boat these days (Ugg boats, people who walk out in front of cyclists, people who discuss English soccer teams as 'us' and 'we'....you get the drift).

You know best your circumstances and what time is available for you to train so rock on. Once you're not wearing the Ugg boots while running cause that would upset me:D

Now spag bol, I know her Dad has a yacht but surely these aren't available, even in Dundrum Town Centre... Totes magotes;)

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Now spag bol, I know her Dad has a yacht but surely these aren't available, even in Dundrum Town Centre... Totes magotes;)

Well spotted Digs, but i'm sure that they exist somewhere. And now off to copyright the idea:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

CL best of the luck with the training for the Ultra, shall have a roving eye over your progress.

I read Running Through the Wall a while ago and really enjoyed it. Loads of short stories about people doing Ultras in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

You go girl!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I will reply to the ultra running discussion in due course but thought I better log a few runs before people think I've signed up to run 39.3 miles yet appear to have given up running at the same time...

Recovery week last week was grand. Legs, as I said, were a little tender and DOMSy for a couple of days but they came around well. Got out for my first run on Friday which was fine (3.2miles @ 9.54 - already noted).

Saturday 5th November
    3.12 @ 9.16
    This felt good. I wasn’t wearing my watch and felt like I was doing 10.30's it was so comfortable. Whoops. I could have kept going but I wasn't allowed :(

Sunday 6th November
    3.79 @ 9.24
    Was told in no uncertain terms that I was still in recovery and directed to do 3 miles at recovery pace which should have been 10m/m at the fastest. I did 3.7 because I wanted to round my recovery week off to 10 miles. This again felt really good and I stuggled to keep the pace down despite running a disciplined first 1.5 miles at 10m/m pace.

Monday 7th November
    5.01@ 9.18
    Was working from home so got up bright and early for a refreshing wake-up run before an intense day of research and drafting…bleurgh. My head was saying RECOVERY PACE, my legs weren't listening. I compromised.

Tuesday 8th November
    5.13 @ 9.06
    Ran home from work in the dark and rain. Lovely stuff! Didn’t look at my watch until I got to about 4 miles when I glanced and saw I was at 9.16 pace. Again, this was surprising as they effort only felt like recovery effort. Decided screw it and upped the effort a wee bit for the last mile home.

Last night I realised that I am currently officially a running junkie…absent a plan to follow right now as well as being very busy and trying to maintain an active social like, I am lapping every run up like it's my last (well not quite that dramatic..). But I don't know when, or how long or how fast my next fix will be… So take what you can, when you can I say! ;) What I love the most is that I'm not forcing myself out the door every time, or overly pushing myself - I actually want to get out. And I'm enjoying every minute of it. Mad Ted. Hope it lasts!

Wednesday 9th November
    6.19 @ 9.23
    I wanted to try find a shortcut into work to see if I could make it a 4 mile trip instead of a 5 mile one… as you can see, I failed. It turns out swapping the canal for the less interrupted miltown / ranelagh route is actually a mile longer. Lesson learmed. Had been keeping a relatively disciplined 9.40 pace until about 5 miles when I realised I was going to be late if I didn’t get a wriggle on, hence the slightly-faster-than-recovery pace.

I'll back when I get home to bash yee all and your ultra opinions...:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It disturbs me that I'm not even jealous that I probably won't be running it. Good luck, great race - I'm sure you picked up on the atmosphere in the marahton last year. Ultra is a brill race, you'll smash my 6:39 time. Make sure digdig doesn't though won't ya! :)

Thursday 10th November
    3.04 @ 9.44
    A 6am loosener to blow away the cobwebs before a day ath the desk. Nothing overly exciting to report!

Friday 11th Nov
    Rest

Saturday 12th Nov
    5.02 @ 9.26
    Out for an easy run with digdig. It was nice to feel comfortable and be able to chat at this pace for a change... there was a while there where all of our runs were a nightmare as I struggled to keep up and could barely breathe while he trotted away telling stories like he was sitting at a bar with a pint of teh black stuff i.e. effortless to him!!

Sunday 13th Nov
    5.03 @ 8.22
    I'm really starting to wonder where some of this is coming from. Was out with digdig again and we both starting pushing on without communicating a desire to do so. He was peeved over the previous run and I was peeved over a multitude of other things so apparently the obvious step was to take it out on a run! Worked out well anyway as I managed to break my 5mile PB by 30 seconds... I know it doesn't count but it's a nice thought!

Monday 14th Nov
    5.14 @ 10.14
    Proper disciplined recovery run into work this morning. Was high vizzied to the max - flashing lights on the back pack, high viz jacket, waterford half high viz fleece hat. I'd say I was visible from space! First mile was an enviable 11.30 minutes and I finished off with a speedy, record-breaking average pace of 10.14. Lovely morning for it.

It disturbs me that I'm not even jealous that I probably won't be running it. Good luck, great race - I'm sure you picked up on the atmosphere in the marahton last year. Ultra is a brill race, you'll smash my 6:39 time. Make sure digdig doesn't though won't ya! :)

I said I'd keep him company for the first 30 miles before pushing on. I think he's aiming for sub-8 so you've nothing to worry about..;)

I have also just started new job, and cycle. I really like the cycle to work [only 2 or 3 miles each way, so not too crazy], Im refreshed and ready to go when I get here - I think being a sweating mess would not be great to sit at a desk with :)

re: Ultra, good look, why not! No interest in them at all myself, going one of the other routes you can take on these things, and dont want to do anything twice, and therefore do as many different events as possible :cool:
    RayCun wrote: »
    Do you have showers in work? If so, you could
    Bus in Monday, bringing clothes for Tuesday and running gear. Run home
    Run in, shower, put on the clean clothes you brought in Monday, bus home with clothes to wash.
    Repeat on Wednesday/Thursday
    Woddle wrote: »
    You can only ever run for your own reasons and if this is what drives you, well then great and best of luck with it.

My cousin use to do sth similar, he'd get the bus into work on Mondays and bring all the clothes and stuff he needed which would allow him to run in and home from work Tue/wed/thurs. I think it was a round trip of 12 miles per day. He then got the bus home on Friday, long run Saturday and a rest day Sunday. 50 plus miles each week , he ran 3:30 in Dublin doing that.

And now to Claralara.

The thought of doing an Ultra doesn't float my boat but many things don't float my boat these days (Ugg boots, people who walk out in front of cyclists, people who discuss English soccer teams as 'us' and 'we'....you get the drift).

shazkea wrote: »
    CL best of the luck with the training for the Ultra, shall have a roving eye over your progress.

I read Running Through the Wall a while ago and really enjoyed it. Loads of short stories about people doing Ultras in the States.
    jcsmum wrote: »
    You go girl!!! :)

Just throwing up a quick general reply.

I totally get that it's not for everyone and it's a very bizarre concept to someone who has no interest. However it is what I've chosen to do next so thanks for the good luck wishes. As Woddle says, we run for our own reasons. A fundamental part of my running is that I do it for myself and it's a constant in my life that I retain control over. It will certainly be an interesting few months.

Re the commuting running - thanks for the input. There are shower facilities in work and I have a couple of outfits, a wash bag and a duplicate make-up bag in the wardrobe. Can carry a back pack when running too for anything extra. Have also figured out the towel situation so all fine on that front. And it doesn't matter a bit if I'm just running home as I just need to bring gear in which is no hassle in itself. I'm getting my head around it and it’s working well :)

I'm posting random stuff like a mad thing here as haven't been online or had a minute in days…

Just wanted to throw up my 2011 mileage to date… Am at 1,379.02 after this morning. Not bad. Not bad at all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Super time on yesterday's run. Sounds like you are mega-focused!

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »
    Super time on yesterday's run. Sounds like you are mega-focused!

Dunno what I am but let's just hope it lasts! :cool:

I best get back to work, I'm taking over the entire first page of the logs...It's been so long!!

Tuesday 15th Nov
    5.06 @ 8.01
    Another PB.... Whoops. I need to find myself a 5 mile race that won't interfere with my christmas party plans. Was looking forward to this all day. Planned 5 @ 9.15 or so - was at 8.54 after 1 mile and it just kept coming down. Was at 8.13 pace at 4.1 miles so decided feck it and go for a push. Comfortable throughout with a tad more effort for the last mile. Great run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

You're an animal at the moment CL.
    You definitely need to find a race and get those fast miles working for ya :D

Great comeback after DCM too.

Emer911 wrote: »
    You're an animal at the moment CL.

Great comeback after DCM too.

Yes. I'm like an excitable puppy... :) Before I was a cross between a sloth and an elephant!

Weds 17th Nov
    3 @ 10.02
    A grand recovery this morning. Another lovely morning to go out wrapped up for some fresh air. I really hope this lasts. On the way to work now - set up for the day :)

Emer911 wrote: »
    +1

Aware 5 Miler 10th December (if you can't make waterford surely you can fit this one in?)

Otherwise the Jingle bells 5k on 3rd December or Clonliffe 5k on the 18th...

+1

Aware 5 Miler 10th December (if you can't make waterford surely you can fit this one in?)

Otherwise the Jingle bells 5k on 3rd December or Clonliffe 5k on the 18th...

I'm awat the weekend of 2nd/3rd/4th December, Christmas Party on Friday 9th (that's why I'm not doing Waterford) and 12 Pubs on the 17th...

What time are Aware and Clonliffe on at? May suit something. Though I don't fancy a PB attempt after a session... bleurgh!

claralara wrote: »
    I'm awat the weekend of 2nd/3rd/4th December, Christmas Party on Friday 9th (that's why I'm not doing Waterford) and 12 Pubs on the 17th...

What time are Aware and Clonliffe on at? May suit something. Though I don't fancy a PB attempt after a session... bleurgh!

Tut Tut, drinking getting in the way of your running again.

There's always the 5k on new years day, oh wait...:p

Looks like you might have to wait until raheny this year for PB's?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

claralara wrote: »
    So from now on I will train hard, I will eat better, I will drink less alcohol and more water and I will complete Connemara with a desire to run again and not the wish to hang up my runners.

This still apply?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    This still apply?

I'm in work. I have practically just eaten the contents of a jar of peanut butter with a spoon and am very close to hitting the chocolate biscuits to accompany my coffee number ridiculous of the day. Of the 1.5 litre bottle of water that has been sitting on my desk all day, no less than half of it has been consumed. And all I can think about is a cold beer and/or a room temperature bottle of vino tinto which I doubt I'll be able to say no to when I eventually get home.

So, in a word, No. :rolleyes:;)

I do still like running though! :)

• Advertisement

Tut Tut, drinking getting in the way of your running again.

There's always the 5k on new years day, oh wait...:p

Looks like you might have to wait until raheny this year for PB's?

Yep, I was thinking it'd be Raheny alright. Slap bang in the middle of how-slow-can-you-go training though..:rolleyes:

Advertisement