Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead - Season 2 [AMC - US] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

Don't forget - the comics also had that dead town before they made it to Hershels - and the level of desperation before they got to Hershels also just seemed more intense. I think the death count so far has been too low for a Zombie related serial - the comics hit home because everyone was expendable and it made it tense.

I don't think you can realistically compare the two either way, they both offer and can do very different things which makes them unequal.

I've some difficulties with the show so far. Despite this I'm really looking forward to it every week and after I've put my son to bed I sit down with my wife and a bottle of beer to watch the next episode. No other show gets this treatment, I love the zombie genre so this is a real treat - even if the quality is questionable at times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just on the point about the comics having a higher death count, and thus a higher level of tension. I would wonder if it works both ways: afterall, it's all very well in a long-running comic (a medium that by it's very nature is almost neverending) having a revolving-door policy with your characters. You can drop in characters when and where you please.

TV is a different beast - shorter 'runs', plots typically formed in arcs & a different scope of audience. I couldn't realistically see how putting every character on a knife edge would work as gripping TV. Granted, the characters that are there are thinly sketched as it is, but what little feeling we might have for them could quickly evaporate if we just started playing "Who'll die next?".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Don't forget - the comics also had that dead town before they made it to Hershels - and the level of desperation before they got to Hershels also just seemed more intense. I think the death count so far has been too low for a Zombie related serial - the comics hit home because everyone was expendable and it made it tense.

I don't think you can realistically compare the two either way, they both offer and can do very different things which makes them unequal.

I've some difficulties with the show so far. Despite this I'm really looking forward to it every week and after I've put my son to bed I sit down with my wife and a bottle of beer to watch the next episode. No other show gets this treatment, I love the zombie genre so this is a real treat - even if the quality is questionable at times.

i agree with you on most things but actually way more people have died on tv so far than in the comics- in the comics- the deaths have been- jim,amy,shane and donna, nobody missing,and carl badly injured. so four deaths and one badly injured at that stage in the comics where we are on tv.
    but in tv- deaths are-amy,jim,jacqui ,ed,dr.jenner,otis, merle missing,sophia missing,carl badly injured,tdog injured. so in tv 6 deaths,2 missing and 2 badly injured.
    so theres actually been a lot more characters on a knifes edge on tv than in the comics !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Good point - I forgot about the dead town. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I couldn't realistically see how putting every character on a knife edge would work as gripping TV.
    Pixelburp, you didn't watch The Fades then?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7clIVVUQko
    I like the Walking Dead, it's not the best TV ever but it dose what it says on the tin, zombies, drama and pretty good SFX.
    Of course it could be better, so could most shows. Its hard to balance horror on TV, too much and your left with only a hardcore horror audience, too little and no one watches.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Show needs more lesbian zombies imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Show needs more lesbian zombies imo.

True. But doesn't every show?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I did something for the first time tonight with TWD - watched most of the ep at 1.5x or 2.0x speed. The Sophie arc is really starting to drag now, as is the Karl one. I liked the twist at the end with Shane, but otherwise I was underwhelmed with that episode. Still, it only cost me 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Robdude wrote: »
    True. But doesn't every show?
    lesbian vampire zombies from outer space maybe? :pac:

and some well choreographed zombie flashmob dance routines.

then they could rename it "the moonwalking dead". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Yakuza wrote: »
    I did something for the first time tonight with TWD - watched most of the ep at 1.5x or 2.0x speed. The Sophie arc is really starting to drag now, as is the Karl one. I liked the twist at the end with Shane, but otherwise I was underwhelmed with that episode. Still, it only cost me 30 minutes.

I was going to say that in my previous post, and then did a backspace delete after deciding against it.:D

I used the 2 speed for when two people decided to have an in-depth waffling chat e.g. when the parents sat with their wounded son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

I pity the people who are following this thread, but aren't watching the episodes when they are broadcast in the States. There is too much yakking so far this series I must agree. There were lots of Zombies in the last two episodes, but too much faffing about looking for Sophia and Karl wounded. Let's hope there's more death and tension to come.

I pity the people who are following this thread, but aren't watching the episodes when they are broadcast in the States.
    you shouldn't pity anyone, there's ample warning in the thread title.

why do you think the thread is titled "The Walking Dead - Season 2 [AMC - US] *Spoilers*"?

vibe666 wrote: »
    you shouldn't pity anyone, there's ample warning in the thread title.

why do you think the thread is titled "The Walking Dead - Season 2 [AMC - US] *Spoilers*"?

That's me learnt.

That's me learnt.
    you should actually probably pity me for being such a grumpy cnut. ;)

I'm actualy shocked to find a pedantic person on a comment board about a post Zombie apoclypse TV show based on a graphic novel.:D

(I actually didn't remember that this was about the US shows. I can't wait to see what my mates make of the end of Otis tonight.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Can people please put spoiler tags when talking about characters that die in the comics? Now I'm going to be watching and waiting for one main character to die thanks to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm actualy shocked to find a pedantic person on a comment board about a post Zombie apoclypse TV show based on a graphic novel.:D

(I actually didn't remember that this was about the US shows. I can't wait to see what my mates make of the end of Otis tonight.)

A new cereal - Porridge Otis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

(Spoiler contains speculation on future episodes)
    I think I read somewhere that one of the episodes of Series 2 will focus exclusively on Merle. Anyone hear that or did I just dream it?
    I didn't see any entry in Michael Rooker's imdb page for Series 2. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

DeepBlue wrote: »
    (Spoiler contains speculation on future episodes)
    I think I read somewhere that one of the episodes of Series 2 will focus exclusively on Merle. Anyone hear that or did I just dream it?
    I didn't see any entry in Michael Rooker's imdb page for Series 2. :confused:

nope i posted an article on this forum , and yes it says one entire episode will focus exclusively on merle, which is cool:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,209 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I want to like this show, I do. But, for a show that's riddled with zombies, at times it really lacks dramatic bite.

I'd like it a bit more if it were good old human drama without too much baggage, but no. It seems that most, or every other episode, features a 'goodbye' or reunion scene of some description, angst that can be nauseating (possibly forgivable) and sacrificing one for another that's fairly meaningless and at worst, formulaic or lazy. So yeah, a little too 'going through the motions' for me. Last week's reveal that yer man was a vet was way too obvious. I shouldn't really knock it this much, mind.

Daryl remains awesome, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I'd say the reason this show sucks is .. becuase it has absolutely no direction.

Theres barely even a hint that the characters can be saved.. its an ongoing comic book even to this day... and theres no inclination that the story (if it ever develops) will amount to anything other than 'zombie-gasp-run-shoot-cry-recover-walk forward-repeat ad nauseam'. What is the point in this show other than to appeal to the lowest common denominator of gorophiles???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Giruilla wrote: »
    I'd say the reason this show sucks is .. becuase it has absolutely no direction.
    its the end of human civilisation, of course theres no direction, nobody knows anything, best anyone can hope for it to survive and wonder around for a while and hope you come across some kind of civilisation, hershals farm is more a safe haven for now, but thats still just 4 or 5 people staying in one place,

maybe they might come across somthing resembling society at some point well just have to wait and see,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

yup.

its the end of the world.

THATS the point. one of the best things in the book is
    they really tackle the idea that there is no cure. this is it. the walking dead ISNT the zombies, its the cast and its only a matter of time before they bite the dust.

untill then its a story of how do you deal with everything you never gave a second thought about being taken from you. long term they will run out of drugs, food, fuel, transportation, weaponry etc.

the point of the series IMO is can these people who've been basically thrown back to the stone age survive long enough to rebuild some sort of self sustaining society where zombies have replaced all the threats we faced back then like dire wolves and sabretooth tigers and the like.

or will they die through either suicide or ineptitude.

and in the end what kind of people will they be?

weve only had 9 episodes so far and already we can see how some are changing. if they keep this up by the end of the third season we should be in a totally different place characterwise. particularly with characters like rick and andrea.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Go on the Zombies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Cheers to the posters who've posted potential spoilers from the comic, sound.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

:eek: zombie shagging?...we'll never see this on TWD!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If you watch The Walking Dead in VLC player you can press + on the keyboard to increase the playback speed slightly, I find it makes it better, its just too slow otherwise. Jesus the conversations between Rick and his whiny wife, they drag on forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

You can see why the show gets so many plaudits - good/great acting, popular subject matter etc... But I am starting to get a little bored of the slow pace of the show tbh.
    For example, you just knew when the boy got shot that they were going to drag out his inevitable recovery for at least one episode and probably two. I want to see them move off that road and actually progress the story line. So many interesting ways they could go, but they seem more interested in minor story lines, like the young girl going missing, instead of bigger ones like potential cures etc.

Will definitely keep watching, just wish it was better considering the rave reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Another slow one this week. The well scene was pretty good, but other than that, not much happened.

For the comic readers -
    There was a nice long lingering shot of a certain building in the first 15 minutes, which hopefully foreshadows what's to come.

• Advertisement

True, another slow episode. I suppose they did move the story on with Lori and Glen and Maggie, but it is going awful slowly. It can't be constant Zombie attack every week, but it doesn't have to be just one an episode.

Comic Spoiler:
    I can't wait for Michonne to appear with her katana, but that'll probably be series 3 the way things are going.

(I just finished reading volume 14 of the graphic novel. 15's out on the 20th of December if anyone wants to get it for me for Xmas.)

Advertisement