Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead - Season 2 [AMC - US] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i really like that episode, good tension and the group seem to be doing the right thing and not running after rick, i would have been disapionted if they all just abondoned the kid out there, weird that they havent found her yet, i wonder where shes gotten to,

great ending to, id say theyll get out alive though,

more of this and ill be a fairly happy camper, :)

if i were them though i find some way of robbing that medical trailer, could come in handy,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Enjoyable so far, I did find it strange that in the one episode they put both the children in danger but it did add for a shock value ending, even episode 2 had an ending that was designed to hook people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I dunno, I'm a big fan of the ninja redneck.

At this point he is my favourite character, by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Enjoyable so far, I did find it strange that in the one episode they put both the children in danger but it did add for a shock value ending, even episode 2 had an ending that was designed to hook people.

ye i know it is a weird, but robert kirkman said specificaly in an interview that the kids will be in danger a lot more in this season unlike the other season. he said he wants to show people the show isnt afraid to hurt kids and he wants people not to be like oh the kids going to live because its a kid:p

my fav characters in order would go:
    daryl
    rick
    glenn
    morgan and duane
    dale
    andrea
    shane
    carol
    merle
    lori
    carl-sophia
    tdog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

That would explain the kids in peril then.

just saw ep 2, thought it was very well done but like ppl have been saying ,ye it was a bit of a filler episode, and it was a bit slow and not much happened, but done well all the same. very sad with carl being operated on ,really felt for lori and rick. thought rick and lori, did some very goo acting you could really see how sad they were especially rick. also thought shane did some very good acting, liked seeing the strong friendship between him and rick, and their love for carl too. some good characterisation and development too, got to know hershel and maggie and im rly liking them. tohught daryl and andrea were good in it too. overall good episode just not very action packed. and that cliffhanger at the end is killing me, even if i hated the show i wouldnt be able to resist watching next week.
    rating 6.5/10 sort of boring,slow and fillerish,but great acting and dialogue between greenes,lori,shane and rick. some good character development too. btw lauren cohan is awesome, when she came in on the horse and rescued andrea :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

TWD has been renewed for a third season by AMC, rejoice zombie fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Losing interest in this now. Complete bore fest until the last 2 minutes when they stick in the inevitable cliffhanger to get you back next week.
    I watched the whole first season in 2 sittings, was completely hooked but now Im indifferent. It has to pick up the pace and have a sense of direction like in series 1 when their goal was reaching the CDC. The first 2 episodes so far have felt like one long case of arsing around.

I know this sounds like Im a big gore fan whos not happy because they're not gunning down zombies every 5 minutes but Im far from it! If the characters and writing were more than 1 dimensional, Id be happy for it to be so drama heavy, but since these 2 elements are weak, it really needs to get back to what it did well in season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Saw it last night. Great episode. Building up nicely. New characters are a welcome addition.

Btw, for those worried about the pace, I think the makers are following the lead of the comics (don't worry, no spoilers here) which tyically could go 6 issues with relative peace (in comic terms, that could be 6 months) and then BAM! Zombies! The series could very easily suffer from zombie fatigue if they overplayed the "zombie gore" angle. I think for the longevity of the show, it needs to focus on the slow build, big pay off model. It creates more impact imo. Sure, it makes for a slower paced show than many would like, but in the end, I think the show will be better for it.... just as long as they nail the characters. Fortunately, given the nature of the show, the sh*t characters can be used for zombie fodder :D

• Advertisement

Bacchus wrote: »
    Saw it last night. Great episode. Building up nicely. New characters are a welcome addition.

Btw, for those worried about the pace, I think the makers are following the lead of the comics (don't worry, no spoilers here) which tyically could go 6 issues with relative peace (in comic terms, that could be 6 months) and then BAM! Zombies! The series could very easily suffer from zombie fatigue if they overplayed the "zombie gore" angle. I think for the longevity of the show, it needs to focus on the slow build, big pay off model. It creates more impact imo. Sure, it makes for a slower paced show than many would like, but in the end, I think the show will be better for it.... just as long as they nail the characters. Fortunately, given the nature of the show, the sh*t characters can be used for zombie fodder :D

This is probably true.

I was thinking though - in the comics, before they got to Hershels -
    there was a short arc where the survivors had to stay on the move continually and lost one or two people along the way.
    Reminded me of the opening few episodes of the newer Battlestar Galactica. Something along those lines to show how dangerous the world at large is and establish things a little more would have been great.

I was thinking though - in the comics, before they got to Hershels -
    there was a short arc where the survivors had to stay on the move continually and lost one or two people along the way.
    Reminded me of the opening few episodes of the newer Battlestar Galactica. Something along those lines to show how dangerous the world at large is and establish things a little more would have been great.

Well, they did have the campsite massacre in S1. It was a missed opportunity though, not killing off someone in that opening herd scene (e.g. T-Dog). Still, my hope remains that they are going to build to some big moments in the show... comic:
    can't wait till they look in the barn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

TWD has been renewed for a third season by AMC, rejoice zombie fans!
    yep, just seen that here: http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/the-walking-dead-recommissioned-for-third-series/250599

still really enjoying the show and the wife is too, which was a surprise as she's not normally a zombie fan at all. :)

daryl is really growing on me, he keeps surprising everyone (in a good way), so fingers crossed they don't kill him off.

i can see t-dog biting the dust shortly if that arm wound doesn't clear up. i have a feeling he might have gotten it (zombie) infected and it's slowly working its way through his system.

i'm still fuzzy on if you can get infected from zombie blood as they have been a bit slap happy with the machete's (in the church) and that screwdriver in the eye in the RV, so i'm thinking it needs to be transmitted via zombie saliva into your bloodstream to infect you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Have to say I'm beginning to hate this. Two mediocre episode about "kids in peril" really doesn't do it for me.

On every level the show doesn't do it for me, unlikeable one-dimensional characters, steadily declining special effects and smaller and smaller zombie crowds. A plot that isn't going anywhere, lack of any real points of conflict, just boring old "couple tension" and "my kids in trouble" that really don't belong in a zombie-story.

The flash-back really really scared me, I know it didn't last for very long, but I watched it with a feeling of horrible "lost-dread", that a large portion of future episodes were going to be flashback fillers of people's lives.

What has made "zombies" into the folk-mythology that it has become are things like "zombie-survival guide" and WWZ. The technical aspects of zombies, surviving them, gathering resources, killing them etc. This has been totally ignored by walking dead, and is being played out as a second rate melodrama with zombies.

Hoping it might get better, but not expecting it to.

pH wrote: »
    What has made "zombies" into the folk-mythology that it has become are things like "zombie-survival guide" and WWZ. The technical aspects of zombies, surviving them, gathering resources, killing them etc. This has been totally ignored by walking dead, and is being played out as a second rate melodrama with zombies.

You have some valid points but I must disagree with this one in particular. They ARE dealing with the technical aspects. It's subtle but it's there:

cleaning/maintaining guns
    scavenging supplies (incl. antibiotics) from cars
    trying to maintain a base at the RV while the others search for the girl
    always being sure not to be caught out at night
    no gun shots (using rocks, crossbows, screwdrivers etc. to make the kill instead)
    raiding a zombie infested school for medical supplies
    the importance of Shane finding that truck full of water
    Dale and T-Dog's conversation about being the weakest links

That aspect of survival is being dealt with imo and is done quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Didn't think that it was as boring as a lot of you were making out. I found it to be a rather tense episode. Nothing stellar but alright. It's definitely enough to keep me watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,981 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I was looking forward to the second series, but am not impressed so far, and find it quite boring. I don't know whether it's been mentioned here, but I see that they've got the go-ahead for series 3.

http://www.digitalspy.ie/ustv/s135/the-walking-dead/news/a347476/the-walking-dead-renewed-for-third-season-by-amc.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i think if people didnt like ep 2, then they probably should stop watching, i think it was the srongest episode since the pilot,

and people on about having more zombies have to think this is a drama set in a zombie apocalypse not the other way around,

don ramo wrote: »
    i think if people didnt like ep 2, then they probably should stop watching, i think it was the srongest episode since the pilot,

and people on about having more zombies have to think this is a drama set in a zombie apocalypse not the other way around,

even if i didnt like it i would still give it another chance for another episode or two ,i watched falling skies for 4 whole episodes and i watched the first 2 and tthought it was awful,watched another 2 and still thought it was awful:o so probably not a great example as it didnt get better but this may well get even better. also some of the now brilliant comic characters first appeared as secondary,not many lines, moaney characters in the start but are now one of the best characters(andrea :p) though i actually really like andrea though other ppl thinks shes annoying and cant wait until she turns into the tough comic book character she is. kirkman said in an interview characters will be developed a lot more in this season as he himself thinks the 1st season neglected character development so thats great to here. everyone should give it a chance i think youll really like it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

don ramo wrote: »

I completely agree with you, I thought it was a great episode. I don't know how anyone can find the introduction of so many potentially interesting new characters boring. We had conflict, tension/fear, questions and zombies all in one episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    I completely agree with you, I thought it was a great episode. I don't know how anyone can find the introduction of so many potentially interesting new characters boring. We had conflict, tension/fear, questions and zombies all in one episode.

Perhaps people's problem with that is they havn't developed the other characters at all really and now they are adding a load of new ones? Beyond the few true main characters I don't think I can remember any of the other character's names. That's not down to not paying attention,they just havn't been developed enough,or at all, for me to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

tvnutz wrote: »
    Perhaps people's problem with that is they havn't developed the other characters at all really and now they are adding a load of new ones? Beyond the few true main characters I don't think I can remember any of the other character's names. That's not down to not paying attention,they just havn't been developed enough,or at all, for me to care.

I can't argue with you there at all, it was during the season two premiere that I actually realised I hadn't a clue who any of these people were, let alone the majority of their names. I don't care who lives or who dies. I actually hope the lost kid dies so they can get rid of the mother then too.

I don't know, maybe that was the initial point of the writing and character development (or lack thereof) in the beginning? Maybe more of them were supposed to be zombie fodder somewhere along the way of season one, and for whatever reason the movable feast got carried over into season two instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    I don't care who lives or who dies. I actually hope the lost kid dies so they can get rid of the mother then too.
    This will probably be the end of season 3, but, man I hope she doesn't die, wanna see how they tackle her fate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Fresh zombie (episode) meat tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Well,that was far more interesting,especially the end. Adds something to Shane's character. Beyond that the missing girl is getting annoying,find her alive or dead soon please.

Personally I think it is such a bad reflection on the first season that I still don't remember black and asian guy's names,nor really care about them while I cared more for the character of Otis despite the fact that he was only in 2 episodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

tvnutz wrote: »
    Personally I think it is such a bad reflection on the first season that I still don't remember black and asian guy's names,nor really care about them while I cared more for the character of Otis despite the fact that he was only in 2 episodes?

Agreed. I don't know many character names either but did know Otis! He was more interesting than most of the "main" characters and all.. Guess they just haven't developed the main cast at all really.

Okay episode overall, main thing we learned is how much of a pr!ck Shane is. (car theft, attempted rape, murder... ). Seems like he should have been on the other side of the jail cell before the apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I thought Shane might have shot Otis in the head and left him as food for the walkers so the way he left Otis to be eaten alive was even worse.

Lori needs to be munched..........and soon!!
    And if Rick stays as emo-Rick then the sooner he becomes zombie-food the better too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah I think the show is picking up a little now, it's definitely more enjoyable than series 1, despite my previous reservations. We're beginning to see a little more flesh (ho ho) on the bones of the characters, even the hitherto cyphers (and created-for-TV) such as T-dog. I still don't like the daughter's mother & she's really not adding anything to the plot; one child-in-peril arc is enough for any show, not two.

It's getting tedious now and like others I hope it gets wrapped up soon. My own theory is that
    if they follow the Hershel's farm plot and the barn is full of zombies, I suspect we're gonna discover that the girl found her way there, thought of hiding in the barn & got munched. The mother will discover zombie daughter & flip out.

As for the other characters, it's nice to see they get little moments to round their personalities off a little more. We definitely didn't see this in the previous series. Dale, Andrea, Daryl, Glenn; they all had a scene or two to give us a reason to care a little more about them.

Regards the twist, I saw it coming (and that's not trying to be cocky). As soon as we fast-foward to Shane arriving back at the farm, it was clear something was up. And truthfully, would many of us have behaved differently? It was the jungle scenario; I don't have to outrun the danger, I just have to outrun the guy I'm with.

My only gripe? Is it just me or have the Walkers being doing some cardio, because they've become quite fast. I know the dinnerbell was rung with Shane & Otis, but even so: they were positively running in those scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah I think the show is picking up a little now, it's definitely more enjoyable than series 1, despite my previous reservations. We're beginning to see a little more flesh (ho ho) on the bones of the characters, even the hitherto cyphers (and created-for-TV) such as T-dog. I still don't like the daughter's mother & she's really not adding anything to the plot; one child-in-peril arc is enough for any show, not two.

It's getting tedious now and like others I hope it gets wrapped up soon. My own theory is that
    if they follow the Hershel's farm plot and the barn is full of zombies, I suspect we're gonna discover that the girl found her way there, thought of hiding in the barn & got munched. The mother will discover zombie daughter & flip out.

As for the other characters, it's nice to see they get little moments to round their personalities off a little more. We definitely didn't see this in the previous series. Dale, Andrea, Daryl, Glenn; they all had a scene or two to give us a reason to care a little more about them.

Regards the twist, I saw it coming (and that's not trying to be cocky). As soon as we fast-foward to Shane arriving back at the farm, it was clear something was up. And truthfully, would many of us have behaved differently? It was the jungle scenario; I don't have to outrun the danger, I just have to outrun the guy I'm with.

My only gripe? Is it just me or have the Walkers being doing some cardio, because they've become quite fast. I know the dinnerbell was rung with Shane & Otis, but even so: they were positively running in those scenes.

exactly its survival of the fittest in them situations, i think many of us would of done the exact same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

pixelburp wrote: »

What flesh ? that his real name is Theodore I'd hardly call that character development lol .

The rationalization for the olympian zombies has been covered already in this thread by myself and others (basically newish zombie = fast, old badly decomposed zombie = slow) , my issue this episode is the lack of explanation for the luxuries like hot water, fresh bread and the relative unscathedness of Hershels farm , but hopefully this will be covered in the next ep .

Advertisement