Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead - Season 2 [AMC - US] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just watched episode 1, below average but still watchable for the moment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I liked, will tune in again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Booooorrrrrinnngg.
    Filler episode. 80% of it is Rick crying over Carl, 10% is the other group wandering around doing nothing, 5% is T-dog being sick and then getting meds, then 5% zombies. The characters aren't characters, they're place holders for stuff to happen to them.

Will have to go back to the comics now to remember why this was good in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Agreed. Good ending, though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I thought that the writers tried way too hard to engineer conflict between the survivors. It just felt very contrived. Rick's wife Lori came across as a shrew - she scolds the other survivors for scavenging from the cars as if the entire world isn't already filled with the dead. One minute she's telling Shane to back off then she's nagging him for acting cold towards Carl?

Andrea berates Dale for not letting her die in the CDC as if he had dragged her kicking & screaming out of the building instead of simply convincing her to leave with him. If she truly wanted to die she could have stayed there.

Even Shane & Andrea bicker with each other for no apparent reason even though they both want to leave the group. Wouldn't it make far more sense to have someone with you watching your back instead of striking out on your own?

I didn't mind the church scene, it just reinforces the idea that the zombies have vague memories of their former lives like when Morgan's wife kept returning to their home in the pilot episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Greyjoy wrote: »
    I didn't mind the church scene, it just reinforces the idea that the zombies have vague memories of their former lives like when Morgan's wife kept returning to their home in the pilot episode.

Maybe it's a coincidence, or the signs of a show that diminishes in quality each week, but Every episode that Morgan has been in is much better than episodes he's not featured in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Apparently, Walter 'Heisenberg' White's blue meth made a cameo appearance last night.

8KOHx.png

• Registered Users Posts: 85,623 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Maybe it's a coincidence, or the signs of a show that diminishes in quality each week, but Every episode that Morgan has been in is much better than episodes he's not featured in!

i havnt seen ep 2 yet, was morgan in it? the only other episode he was in was pilot?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Who shot Carl?
    Otis (accidentally) shot Carl while hunting. I believe he is a former neighbour of Hershel, the vet/farm owner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

ep2 was very poor imo, ending was decent

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

nuxxx wrote: »
    ep2 was very poor imo, ending was decent

Summed it up well, just an out and out filler episode, very much the way lost was, boring for 48mins the a cliffhanger for the last 90seconds and you're hooked again for next week, damn tv execs have it nailed down!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

bb1234567 wrote: »
    i havnt seen ep 2 yet, was morgan in it? the only other episode he was in was pilot?:confused:

I haven't seen episode 2 either, so currently Morgan's only been in the pilot in my books. And that pilot still remains a world above the rest of the episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I haven't seen episode 2 either, so currently Morgan's only been in the pilot in my books. And that pilot still remains a world above the rest of the episodes

although i think episode 1 was very good , i found it a bit boring, not much happened, hardly any characters and no action! i thought 2nd episode was very good. it had action and suspense as well as being as good as 1st episode. then third less good than other two but still very good. 4th a little worse than 3rd but still very good. 5th not great,and 6th was quite terrible. season 2 ep 1 was very good, in line with episode 3 of season 1 goodness, wasnt as great as ep 1or 2 of 1st season though. and im watching ep 2 tonight and ill report back soon:)

I thought episode 1 (season 1) was ok but I found myself cringing at some of the dialogue and flashbacks. I'm not sure why people thought it was so amazing. Some even say it's one of the best TV pilots of all time, alongside Twin Peaks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I said it after last week's episode, and after Sunday's story, I'm still of the same opinion: the "zombie" subgenre is inherently 1-note and limited. Once you move past the End of all Civilisation, all there can ever be are stories of human survival & inevitable tragedy. Afterall - what else is left except fraught survivors?

So in that sense, I guess it's kind of inevitable the show has descended into Lost-meets-zombies, where the lead characters simply mill about a forest, bickering with each other, with no apparent plot visible to propel the story along. It's not like there's an overhanging goal or prize waiting at the end of the series; even with the lip-service paid to decamping to Fort McGuffin (mentioned in episode 1), we know rightly what they'll find when / if they get there.

Once I parked those expectations and accepted the limited scope of premise, I enjoyed episode 2 far more than the first.

Of course, where Walking Dead isn't like Lost is that it doesn't have the advantage of interesting, complex characters to keep the series ticking along. There's still far too much emphasis on the Grimes' & as heartfelt the acting might be when their son was shot, it's not enough to compensate for the thin characterisation amongst the rest of the cast. I'm still baffled why Darabont decided to fatten the convoy's population above & beyond that of the comics (as I understand it) because everybody else loses. Good grief, Glenn got one line in the whole episode. Mad stuff.

Having said all that, I'm warming to the show a little more than I did in series 1; mostly because for now the dreary love triangle between the Grimes' & Shane seems to have been parked. Hopefully that'll mean the other survivors will get some room to grow & breath.

Hey - it's no Terra Nova, so it still has that going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I was disappointed. After really enjoying the first season I'm now a bit bored. And what I REAlly don't get is when they were all hiding under the cars, why didn't the zombies smell them? I mean, in the first season they had to smear themselves with gore so the zombies wouldn't smell them but now they can sneak past them and hide on them? WTF?

Also hate the stupid blonde one with the moany face and the skinny mom. Wreck the heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

It's a bit sad that in a show about the walking dead terrorising the living, the 2 biggest issues right now are a hunting accident and a cut on some lads arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Those zombies have clearly been on a fitness regime since series 1 as they now seem to be able to run as fast as a non-dead person. :eek:
    They were pretty slow moving last season, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Kimia wrote: »
    I was disappointed. After really enjoying the first season I'm now a bit bored. And what I REAlly don't get is when they were all hiding under the cars, why didn't the zombies smell them? I mean, in the first season they had to smear themselves with gore so the zombies wouldn't smell them but now they can sneak past them and hide on them? WTF?
    I thought that rather than being able to smell people they more noticed the lack of a smell of death which combined with seeing people move around is what attracted them. So if they cant see or hear you the absence of smell wouldnt actually attract them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Those zombies have clearly been on a fitness regime since series 1 as they now seem to be able to run as fast as a non-dead person. :eek:
    They were pretty slow moving last season, right?

Yeh they were pretty spry , if one wants to rationalize one could point to Otis saying that that aid station had only been overrun a few weeks ago , so maybe the more freshly dead they are the faster they move , then gradually get slower as they decompose .

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Just watched episode 2 and found it a little slow but from what I understand the farm is a significant part of the story so I expected it to be a more developing episode.
    The dialogue is a little poor in places, it hasn't got memorable quotes or Soprano-esque one-liners but it doesn't need them, the show's about a zombie apocalypse ffs!
    I'm a fan of the zombie genre (Romero movies, World War Z etc.) so for me the show has been enjoyable and season 2 thus far hasn't disappointed.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I said it after last week's episode, and after Sunday's story, I'm still of the same opinion: the "zombie" subgenre is inherently 1-note and limited. Once you move past the End of all Civilisation, all there can ever be are stories of human survival & inevitable tragedy. Afterall - what else is left except fraught survivors?
    When I initially heard of this series I thought they would be going for a miniseries format. 6 episodes from a different perspective. 'Zombie story of the week' kind of thing.

Would have been better off imo.

My expectations aren't huge so I'm happy enough. Ep 2. was slow - and to me, they are rushing things with Rik a little bit. His character flaw is that he always has to be the one doing things, taking the risks - he doesn't like to delegate. It was a theme in S.1 and in the comics but I thought it felt forced yesterday when as soon as he got Carl into the house he wanted to take off again.

What I did like was Hershel talking about the dead being cured.
    As fans of the comics know this is going to be a significant plot point in 1 - 2 episodes time.

Most of last night was fine - nothing amazing but I wasn't bored. Regarding the speed of the Zombies, they took off plenty quick after Rik in the first episode. Their speed seems to be down to three things:

1. How long dead they are
    2. How Mangled they are
    3. Whether they see / smell people or not.

Regarding 3 - when they sense prey its clear they start moving with more intent than the normal shamble shuffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'm still enjoying it - probably enjoying this season more than the first... thanks to the addition of Lauren Cohan...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

pixelburp wrote: »

Indeed. Stories of human survival and tragedy can be brilliant; it's just that Walking Dead doesn't have the knack for the kind of characterisation it takes to do something useful with the set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

im giving odds of 2 to 1 that fat boy doesnt make it out alive next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I've given up on this show now... couldn't even watch all of the opening episode. The show needs a serious cast overhawl (except for guy from teachers).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I dunno, I'm a big fan of the ninja redneck.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Dreadcentral are stating season 3 is all but a done deal, i expect they'll see ep. 2 ratings and make the announcement: http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/48215/walking-dead-track-third-season

Advertisement