Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we ignore animal cruelty to suit us?

Options
  • 13-10-2011 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭

As the question asks, we have no problem ringing the Gardai when a dog or cat is being mistreated but what about other animals?

Pet fish for example - gold fish grow big and keeping them in small bowl stunts their growth. Also keep a dog in a cage theirs uproar but keep a foot long fish in a 2 footlong tank is ok?

Pet birds - usually left in a small cages

Also live stock - Does anybody know how they go from eating grass the being accompied by chips?

Warning pretty brutal

Mod note, this is actually very graphic.

So as humans do we really care enough for animals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

It's OK to be cruel to any animal we eat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Of course people do. People seem to think slaughter houses are nice places and the animals are killed in a humane way. A lot of them aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Breadcrusts

Oranage2 wrote: »

Short answer, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Of course we care for them. Sure don't we tender cure pigs?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

How else are you meant to kill the cows, hug'em to death?

FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i love animals

they taste great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

How else are you meant to kill the cows, hug'em to death?

FFS!

Ah sure put a hole in their skull and cork screw out the brain is the only way I suppose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

If big juicy steaks are the result of animal cruety then cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I stopped watching it is horrible and cruel. Why does it have to be like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

orourkeda wrote: »
    If big juicy steaks are the result of animal cruety then cool

I just want to get sick watching that. I could not think of food.
    I'm not a big meat eater. That video is shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

you dont win friends with salad

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

If being nice to animals means me losing out on my fry after a night on the lash then codswollop to that.

Maybe some people also don't care for Fish since they don't seem to show any emotion.

The reason why Cats and Dogs have more of an uproar is because many people(including myself) would see that animal as a member of their family and more than just a pet.

So, no one cares about animals we eat. I sure as hell don't give 2 flying sods about the lads down in the local trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Any good websites to watch No Country For Old Men ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Meat is murder, tasty, tasty murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

I'm 6ft 3, weigh about 17 stone, built like a brick ****house - basically about as manly as they come and I will freely admit that animal cruelty, or seeing animals being slaughtered/in distress reduces me to a gigantic, blubbering vagina.

How the hell can any person with any sense of decency do a job like this? How do they not have huge emotional problems, alcohol and drug addictions?

I realise that it's somewhat of a necessity, but fcuk that. It's barbaric, cruel and inhumane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

So.....if we started eating more dog and cat, we wouldn't mind them being put down as much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Fozzydog3 wrote: »
    Any good websites to watch No Country For Old Men ?

really? you thought that this thread was the best possible place to ask for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

So.....if we started eating more dog and cat, we wouldn't mind them being put down as much?

No, about treating other animals ith a bit more respect.

- If this was about puppies being throw in a river everybody would be up in arms looking for that person to be thrown in prison -

When it comes to a pig nobody cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

FatherLen wrote: »
    really? you thought that this thread was the best possible place to ask for this?

I just suddenly felt in the mood for it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

FatherLen wrote: »

whooosh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

depends on how cute the animal is,

so when it comes to livestock no gives a hoot

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Killing is bloody and messy. Humane killing is particularly messy, since the idea is to do enough damage quickly enough that death is as close to instantaneous as possible. Some of us can deal with that, and it doesn't mean we have problems or are going to develop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Oranage2 wrote: »
    As the question asks, we have no problem ringing the Gardai when a dog or cat is being mistreated but what about other animals?

Pet fish for example - gold fish grow big and keeping them in small bowl stunts their growth. Also keep a dog in a cage theirs uproar but keep a foot long fish in a 2 footlong tank is ok?

Pet birds - usually left in a small cages

Also live stock - Does anybody know how they go from eating grass the being accompied by chips?

Warning pretty brutal

I worked in several meat factories over the last 20 year's and by far the most cruel thing i've ever seen was the halal butchering that went on from time to time. With halal the animal has to bleed to death from the throat being cut but as they were on a moving line the process of work had well started on them while they were still alive. By far the cruelest thing i've ever seen done to an animal. I worked in the boning halls for all those years. I could never understand how anyone could work in those abatoirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I worked in several meat factories over the last 20 year's and by far the most cruel thing i've ever seen was the halal butchering that went on from time to time. With halal the animal has to bleed to death from the throat being cut but as they were on a moving line the process of work had well started on them while they were still alive. By far the cruelest thing i've ever seen done to an animal. I worked in the boning halls for all those years. I could never understand how anyone could work in those abatoirs

Sounds rough enough now alright in fairness!! I dont think there is a more humane way of killing them really then whats shown in the video. The kicking is just the nerves twitching when they are dead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I wonder if Hitler got any of his ideas from slaughter houses.

Just say they are inferior or some other justification so therefore their suffering doesn't count and try not to let the general public see the actual suffering. People won't care then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

This is like the stands and protests you see around universities. "Would you kill this?" next to pictures of big, watery eyed cattle or idyllic pastoral scenes of fowl or sheep. I get it. I don't like it, but most people have never had to see where their meat comes from and don't have the stomach for it. I personally think that's pretty sad and it's certainly not a trend I like to see, and so I sympathise with the protestors in the sense that I agree most people have no understanding of how meat gets to their plate, but while they understand (Albeit often poorly informed and dazed by blood and gore to the extent they miss some of the reality) I understand, I see it and I will indeed still eat meat, or kill and prepare it for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If Larry Goodman sees this thread he'll be complaining the admins ;)

We have good standards in Ireland, some of the best
    For something else OP you should check out what goes on in the likes of Nebraska and Colorado. Huge feedlots and the cattle never see a blade of grass in their lives. Pumped full of hormones and fed on grain. Sometimes even animal offal is feed to them

If you ever watched the George Clooney film Up in the Air, they don't say anything about the cattle industry but you can see aerial pictures of the slurry lagoons in Nebraska

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Food_Nation
    Fast Food Nation, superb book

The film is awful, get the book, not the film

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

KeithAFC wrote: »
    People seem to think slaughter houses are nice places and the animals are killed in a humane way. A lot of them aren't.
    Their all killed the same way, it's a production line and there's no variety in production lines. It is the nicest way an animal can be killed, compared to other predators we're damned nice to our prey.
    hondasam wrote: »
    I can't watch the video yet but I'm assuming it's a worst case scenario from a foreign country.

I do think all animals should be killed through inert gas, it's painless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

hondasam wrote: »

The alternative is that we all go out and hunt and kill our own food. While that might be more natural, it's horribly ineffiecient, we'd end up killing far more animals than we use, and most animals would die a much slower and mroe painful death.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

ScumLord wrote: »
    I do think all animals should be killed through inert gas, it's painless.
    To me suffocation sounds like the most horrible terrifying way to die possible, I wouldn't want to put something else through that.

Advertisement