Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Hoping someone can help me. All the videos on my phone copied to my laptop are without sound. I've tried to copy them again today and am unable.

Can anyone give me a step-be-step Idiot's guide to downloading video from my Galaxy to laptop? I've used a USB and chosen Mass Storage under the USB settings.....any help appreciated

I'm open to correction here but it sounds like your laptop doesn't have the right codec to play those files.i do the same thing all the time with no problems.like lewis said try vlc player it plays everything you throw at it.or try updating your windows media player.thats what I did .
    And as for getting them from your phone to laptop its just as simple as dragging and dropping.
    Btw just google vlc player and it will be there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Thanks guys. Have downoaded VLC and opened the videos with VLC and sound still not there so I think I'll try and upload them again and see how I get on. Thanks for you help, didn't think copying videos would be this complicated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Thanks guys. Have downoaded VLC and opened the videos with VLC and sound still not there so I think I'll try and upload them again and see how I get on. Thanks for you help, didn't think copying videos would be this complicated!

Do you have the sound when you play it on your phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Yes, sound quality perfect when I play them on my phone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Try k lite codec pack, sounds like a codec has gone...

• Advertisement

What`s the format of the video?
    I hate asking all these questions and no solution found...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

It is surprising that there is no sound on VLC. A bit of a silly question: is there any sound at all from your laptop, such as when you play any other video files our music?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

It is surprising that there is no sound on VLC. A bit of a silly question: is there any sound at all from your laptop, such as when you play any other video files our music?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Hi,

Does anyone know how i can upgrade my galaxy s to android 2.3, im running darky rom 9.2 at the moment, and not sure if i need to flash back to a stock rom before i can update the OS.

Need to do it so i can use the skype app for video calling! Any help would be great.

Cheers

rob w wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know how i can upgrade my galaxy s to android 2.3, im running darky rom 9.2 at the moment, and not sure if i need to flash back to a stock rom before i can update the OS.

Need to do it so i can use the skype app for video calling! Any help would be great.

Cheers

What ROM do you have in mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

lewis wrote: »
    Hi,

Cheers

What ROM do you have in mind?

Sorry, its not the Rom i want to change, i want to update from froyo(2.2) to gingerbread(2.3)! I just wanna know if i can do that while im using a custom Rom?

Sorry, its not the Rom i want to change, i want to update from froyo(2.2) to gingerbread(2.3)! I just wanna know if i can do that while im using a custom Rom?

Just go to Darky`s site and pick one that`s GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

This thread is really slipping down the board. I suppose everyone is using newer phones. :o

Anyway, I've had my Galaxy S for just over a year now and have noticed a marked deterioration in the battery in the last week.
    It still charges ok but runs down extremely quickly. A few times I've gone to bed at 12 with the battery at 55-60% and have woken up at 7 to find the battery has fully discharged and the phone is off.
    I'm now barely getting 15-16 hours between charges and I'm not even using the phone during that period.
    I have no apps working in the background and I have the wifi on. This was never a problem in the past though.

Funnily enough, the battery seems to be in better nick today. It's at 93% and has been unplugged for 3hrs 3mins.
    Accounting for that usage:
    Google Services 19%
    Wi-Fi 17%
    Voice Calls 15% - the call was 4mins long
    Display 15%
    Cell Standby 15%
    Phone Idle 6%
    Android OS 4%
    Android System 4%

Anyone reckon the battery is starting to degrade or might it need to be recalibrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Bit of a weird error but maybe someones come across this before.

I was rooting my SGS after an update to 2.3.4 recently. All went well, no major problems. Noticed that when i turned it off i got no jingle as the S logo appears, and then no jingle with the S logo as i turned it back on again.

Looked into it and the two audio files were missing from the system folder, so i found a download for both PowerOn.wav and Shutdown.ogg and replaced them into the correct folders. I now get the jingle on boot but still silence when i shut it down. Just seems weird, checked the file locations a few times and i'm pretty sure i have them right.

PowerOn.wav \system\etc
    Shutdown.ogg \system\media\audio\ui

Any ideas?

Heroditas wrote: »
    This thread is really slipping down the board. I suppose everyone is using newer phones. :o

Anyway, I've had my Galaxy S for just over a year now and have noticed a marked deterioration in the battery in the last week.
    It still charges ok but runs down extremely quickly. A few times I've gone to bed at 12 with the battery at 55-60% and have woken up at 7 to find the battery has fully discharged and the phone is off.
    I'm now barely getting 15-16 hours between charges and I'm not even using the phone during that period.
    I have no apps working in the background and I have the wifi on. This was never a problem in the past though.

Funnily enough, the battery seems to be in better nick today. It's at 93% and has been unplugged for 3hrs 3mins.
    Accounting for that usage:
    Google Services 19%
    Wi-Fi 17%
    Voice Calls 15% - the call was 4mins long
    Display 15%
    Cell Standby 15%
    Phone Idle 6%
    Android OS 4%
    Android System 4%

Anyone reckon the battery is starting to degrade or might it need to be recalibrated?

Calibration is worthless, I`ve never noticed any difference after doing it, I`d buy a new battery.
    bugs wrote: »
    Bit of a weird error but maybe someones come across this before.

I was rooting my SGS after an update to 2.3.4 recently. All went well, no major problems. Noticed that when i turned it off i got no jingle as the S logo appears, and then no jingle with the S logo as i turned it back on again.

Looked into it and the two audio files were missing from the system folder, so i found a download for both PowerOn.wav and Shutdown.ogg and replaced them into the correct folders. I now get the jingle on boot but still silence when i shut it down. Just seems weird, checked the file locations a few times and i'm pretty sure i have them right.

PowerOn.wav \system\etc
    Shutdown.ogg \system\media\audio\ui

Any ideas?

I would have thought that they`d go in system/media/audio/ui....I don`t have them sounds either, I only have them if I do a clean flash through Odin of a ROM, I`m not bothered by it, I hardly reboot any ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Raoul

I am on the latest insanity. For some reason my pc wont pick up my phone when I connect it to usb. Please any help?? It will charge it ok but just cant get it to connect

Raoul wrote: »
    I am on the latest insanity. For some reason my pc wont pick up my phone when I connect it to usb. Please any help?? It will charge it ok but just cant get it to connect

You have USB debugging checked?

Yeah I do. I haven't changed anything. Just upgraded to 36 there and still the same

Calibration is worthless, I`ve never noticed any difference after doing it, I`d buy a new battery.

Thanks, I may have to do that.
    Funnily enough though, the battery seems to be behaving itself today.

Yeah I do. I haven't changed anything. Just upgraded to 36 there and still the same

Does it show up in the notification bar when plugged into the PC?
    Heroditas wrote: »
    Thanks, I may have to do that.
    Funnily enough though, the battery seems to be behaving itself today.

I know what you mean, people complain about the Android OS drain bug, I get it every now and again, sometimes it`s 28%, others 3%, I gues it`s just the phone and apps doing what ever it is they do.

The batteries are fairly cheap tough...

• Advertisement

Does it show up in the notification bar when plugged into the PC?

Nope! :(

Edit - Come on Lewis!! Im counting on you :p

I know what you mean, people complain about the Android OS drain bug, I get it every now and again, sometimes it`s 28%, others 3%, I gues it`s just the phone and apps doing what ever it is they do.

The batteries are fairly cheap tough...

Funny you mention that but the phone was fine until about 7.30 yesterday evening when I picked it up and noticed it was roasting.
    I powered it back on and the battery was "critically low". It had drained from about 80% to near 0% in about 20mins and had switched off.
    Since then, it's been operating fine.

As you say though, batteries are quite cheap so I'll probably buy a new one to be on the safe side.

Nope! :(

Edit - Come on Lewis!! Im counting on you :p

Jaysus, sorry man, I did`nt get any e-mail to me phone when your post came in.....lets me think...37 is just out, flash that and see if the problems still there.

Edit@ You definitely have Kies installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭redlead

Does anyone know anything about the Android update to 2.3 on the Galaxy S? It was supposed to be pushed out months ago by Samsung but I haven't heard anything about it. Is the Galaxy S still getting this? Is it worthwhile to download?

Jaysus, sorry man, I did`nt get any e-mail to me phone when your post came in.....lets me think...37 is just out, flash that and see if the problems still there.

Edit@ You definitely have Kies installed?

Wait are you meant to have kies installed? I had it installed ages ago and I think uninstalled.

Its not a problem with the computer. My mates phone is working on it.

On insanity how do you set storage to mass storage

Wait are you meant to have kies installed? I had it installed ages ago and I think uninstalled.

Its not a problem with the computer. My mates phone is working on it.

On insanity how do you set storage to mass storage

Put Kies on there man, it has the drivers needed to be recognised by the PC. That`s all it`s good for.

Put Kies on there man, it has the drivers needed to be recognised by the PC. That`s all it`s good for.

Nope, didnt work:(

Did you flash CM 37?

Did you flash CM 37?

Yep, flashed it last night! Was on 35, flashed 36, then 37 came out and i factory reset and wiped dalvik cache and flashed it. It just stopped working for no reason since monday

• Advertisement

Yep, flashed it last night! Was on 35, flashed 36, then 37 came out and i factory reset and wiped dalvik cache and flashed it. It just stopped working for no reason since monday

No need to factory reset or wipe dalvik, just backup prior ROM then flash through Nitrality.

The only other thing I can think of is start from scratch, flash JVQ base via Odin the CM37....

Advertisement