Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For anyone interested in gaining a Maths qualification

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Just to echo what doc_17 said, I don't know. I don't know the maths content of your degree or what the TC require, so you will have to contact them. The way I would look at it though is that those three modules are the maximum number you would have to complete if you have done first year maths. As you have done more than that you might get lucky and have to do less modules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ndool

thanks rainbowtrout, i was thinking along the same lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Lehla

Rainbowtrout thanks for your great post. I have been thinking of doing the PGDE with Hibernia in 2012, my subjects are Economics and CSPE based on my BA degree, not great I know.

So I was thinking of adding on another subject and I came across your post. Do you know if it is possible to start taking the modules before completing the PGDE or would I have to wait and complete the PGDE and register with the teaching council before I start taking the OU modules?

Lehla wrote: »
    Rainbowtrout thanks for your great post. I have been thinking of doing the PGDE with Hibernia in 2012, my subjects are Economics and CSPE based on my BA degree, not great I know.

So I was thinking of adding on another subject and I came across your post. Do you know if it is possible to start taking the modules before completing the PGDE or would I have to wait and complete the PGDE and register with the teaching council before I start taking the OU modules?

There's no reason why you can't start taking the modules now. I reckon it's just a case that the TC won't register you for Maths until you've already registered as a qualified teacher with a full degree in something else as the modules are just an add on. I think the first modules start in October if you are going to start it this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

Just to echo the above post...You can do your Dip and get qualified in Economics. Then when you get quaified in Maths they just add that to the list of subjects you are qualified to teach. The only thing is that you won't be able to apply for maths jobs until you have the recognition

• Advertisement

That's great thanks for all the info.

Just out of interest how many subjects can you register with the teaching council for?

as many as you are qualified to teach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Yoming

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I have. I qualified as a physics/chemistry teacher and I am now wanting to complete modules with the Open University to teach Maths. The Open University have been extremely helpful and have suggested the three modules mentioned above, they also suggested I check what ECTS credits I have from my previous maths modules to see if I am exempt from any of them. I found out today that I have 24 credits.

A quick google search suggested to me that the teaching council require 54 credits(I could be picking this up wrong so feel free to correct me)to teach maths. So Im now thinking that I only need to complete one of these modules, M208-30 credits, to satisfy the requirements of the TC.
    Can anyone advise me does it work this way or does it also depend on the content of the modules?
    btw my Open University contact is away for a few weeks so I cant ask him and also I emailed the TC twice and got sent a link to a list of four year degree courses both times.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

So been reading through this tread with interest. I am a qualified maths teacher and registered already but I'm wondering how this applies to other subjects. Correct me if I'm wrong but in addition to a degree, in any subject (this what I'm not sure of...) you do these three modules and you can add maths to you tc registration even if you did no maths at all in college?
    The reason I ask is that obviously in the current climate, the more subjects the better so could this be done for any subject on the curriculum?? I have first year mathematical physics, must look into getting applied maths modules to get my qualification

Yoming wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I have. I qualified as a physics/chemistry teacher and I am now wanting to complete modules with the Open University to teach Maths. The Open University have been extremely helpful and have suggested the three modules mentioned above, they also suggested I check what ECTS credits I have from my previous maths modules to see if I am exempt from any of them. I found out today that I have 24 credits.

A quick google search suggested to me that the teaching council require 54 credits(I could be picking this up wrong so feel free to correct me)to teach maths. So Im now thinking that I only need to complete one of these modules, M208-30 credits, to satisfy the requirements of the TC.
    Can anyone advise me does it work this way or does it also depend on the content of the modules?
    btw my Open University contact is away for a few weeks so I cant ask him and also I emailed the TC twice and got sent a link to a list of four year degree courses both times.
    Thanks

Not exactly. As far as I'm aware the way credits work in Ireland is that 180 constitutes a full degree. So 54 is 30% which is the TC requirement for a subject.

Open University degrees (honours) are 360 credits ( I assume the UK works on a different credit system) so 108 credits of OU Maths modules would be necessary to qualify in Maths. As OU don't do their modules in these denominations you need 120 credits of OU modules. Also the OU will exempt you from modules if you have completed similar modules in a previous degree, however I think TC want previous maths modules and these three.

The three modules that have been given by the green light by the TC are:

MST121 : 30 credits
    MS221: 30 credits
    M208: 60 credits

If you are looking to qualify in maths go by what the TC tell you to do, not OU, becaue ultimately it's the TC that are ratifying your ability to teach maths based on what you have done.

Module content does matter (ask anyone with an engineering degree trying to get recognition to teach maths or physics) , but these three modules satisfy the requirements of the Teaching Council.

It may be the case that you have extra maths modules in your degree in second or third year and this may mean that you don't have to do all three modules. When I contacted them I rang and asked to be put through to Post Primary. Don't ask them questions or you'll probably be fobbed off. Tell them whatever maths modules you have and ask what you need to do.

If you only have first year maths you'll probably have to do all three. If you have the UL degree (same as mine) in Phys/Chem teaching you'll need to do all three.
    So been reading through this tread with interest. I am a qualified maths teacher and registered already but I'm wondering how this applies to other subjects. Correct me if I'm wrong but in addition to a degree, in any subject (this what I'm not sure of...) you do these three modules and you can add maths to you tc registration even if you did no maths at all in college?
    The reason I ask is that obviously in the current climate, the more subjects the better so could this be done for any subject on the curriculum?? I have first year mathematical physics, must look into getting applied maths modules to get my qualification

From my understanding of it, yes and no. There have been numerous threads in the past where people have said they've contacted the TC saying they are qualified in History and French (for example) but did English in first year and what would they need to qualify in English and TC will tell them what needs to be done, but won't guarantee that what they do will be accepted until they have the modules completed, which is a bit crap.

Maths is just the first one where they have gone on record and listed specific modules people can complete for recognition as a maths teacher. I think you have to have done first year maths in college as well as doing the three modules to be qualified in maths. I had it done, so it wasn't a problem for me.

I think (and don't quote me on this) that if say your original degree has no maths in it that you'd have to do more than the three modules.

Maybe it's just that what is taught in maths in college is a bit more standardised than other subjects. I assume other subject areas are taken on a case by case basis because the content of a degree can vary considerably. E.g. A Geography degree can consist of Physical Geography and Human Geography but you mightn't qualify as a Geography teacher if you don't have the right combination of both and you may not have chosen the right ones for teaching when picking electives. It's possibly more difficult in science subjects as lab work would be a requirement of most science subjects so you would probably have to attend a college to complete such modules.

• Advertisement

Yoming wrote: »

Thanks

Ignore what the OU tell you and pay attention to the teaching council as they will ultimately have the power. Do what they tell you to do.

Just to let you know I contacted the TC about this as I don't have 1st year maths in my BA degree and they told me I would have to complete 4 modules to be recognised. The 3 already mentioned and one from the OU level 3 subjects.

You would need to study Mathematics to degree level in order to be registered for the subject. You can approach any provider and undertake studies which that provider will certify as being to degree standard. That means the course of study must be no less than 54 ECTs and cover the core areas of – Analysis, Algebra, Geometry, Probability & Statistics.

The Open University will be prepared to provide this certification for Level 8 degree holders completing four modules MST121, MS221, M208 followed by a Level 8 (OU Level 3) module drawn from the following list

Module Title Code ECTs Area of Maths
    Applications of probability M343 15 Statistics
    Linear statistical Modelling M346 15 Statistics
    Mathematical Statistics M347 15 Statistics
    Mathematical methods and fluid
    mechanics MST326 15 Applied maths
    Groups and geometry M336 15 Pure Maths
    Complex Analysis M337 15 Pure/Applied Maths
    Number Theory and Mathematical
    Logic M381 15 Pure maths
    Optimization M373 15 Applied Maths
    Graphs networks and design MT365 15 Discrete maths

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Hi rainbowtrout. I'm really considering this. The first two modules look doable. Was the third 60 credit module very difficult? I'm a bit nervous about getting that far with it and finding it really time-consuming and demanding.

boogle wrote: »
    Hi rainbowtrout. I'm really considering this. The first two modules look doable. Was the third 60 credit module very difficult? I'm a bit nervous about getting that far with it and finding it really time-consuming and demanding.

No, it's certainly a step up from the other two and the fact that it's 60 credits instead of 30 means there's more work in it. More assignments. Coursework is laid out in booklets with exercises etc. In 30 credit modules you are given a calendar with each module and are expected to cover one booklet every fortnight. In the 60 credit module, it's more like one per week from what I remember. However I did find the material interesting. There is a book of formulas etc with each module that you are allowed take into the exam, like having the log tables here. They are far more detailed though, and initially I did think, this is too easy sure i have half the course in the book, but like a lot of open book exams you either know the stuff or you don't and you are under pressure to get the exam done so you can't spend half the day flicking through the book of formulas and reading stuff to see if it's one you are looking for. Bizarrely enough you are allowed to annotate the book of formulas (which everyone does) so you can write notes to yourself explaining how a formula works, or what it's used for or even write out a sample question in the margin.

I actually did MS221 and M208 at the same time. In hindsight I should have probably done them separately but you live and learn. There are also plenty of past exam papers you can buy from the OU shop to practice with and I think they send you a sample paper with your course materials. Papers don't vary wildly in their layout, similar to the way leaving cert papers have set topics on them each year. So you can practice topics and choose to do certain questions etc. While I think it's changing for some modules, at the moment M208, the 60 credit module runs from Feb - Oct. Realisitically you'll be finished it in September with a few weeks for revision, but over the course of the module you will have Feb midterm, Easter two weeks and summer. So you should have plenty of time to do the module or catch up on weeks where you might fall behind because other things in your life are getting in the way.

boogle wrote: »

I suppose it also depends on the amount of work you are prepared to put into and your grounding in Maths. I didn't have to do the two 30 point modules and only did the 60 point module so I can't compare their difficulty level as well as rainbowtrout. M208 would be sticky enough if Maths wasn't your thing. it's vital to keep up to date with it.

It's one 40-50 page booklet a week to cover so it'll keep you on your toes if you do it

Just to point out as well that this course runs for the last time in 2016 - a bit away yes but don't be putting off til tomorrow what you can do today

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna take the plunge I think. I did Maths in first year of college (although it was "Maths Methods" so will have to check with TC about that) and a Statistics module in Third Year so I reckon I can handle it :)

doc_17 wrote: »
    I suppose it also depends on the amount of work you are prepared to put into and your grounding in Maths. I didn't have to do the two 30 point modules and only did the 60 point module so I can't compare their difficulty level as well as rainbowtrout. M208 would be sticky enough if Maths wasn't your thing. it's vital to keep up to date with it.

It's one 40-50 page booklet a week to cover so it'll keep you on your toes if you do it

Totally agree. I like maths and would quite happily work away on maths problems for hours on end. Not a big fan of learning proofs etc. So if you do have a few modules done, even if they're not in the same area it all helps.

Rainbowtrout and Doc 17 just wondering did you attend any tutorials or was everything done online?

• Advertisement

There are tutorials. For a 30 credit course there's usually 4 in the year. You are not required to go to them though. Mainly they are held in Dublin. For MST121 there are a few other venues, Limerick, Cork, Belfast. It depends on how many are doing the course and where they are located.

When I was doing it I had to post my assignments to my tutor. However they were in the process of changing it to online submission at the time so I don't know if that's the standard way of doing things now or not.

I posted mine off as well. I never went to a tutorial...I had a choice of Belfast or Dublin but was happy enough with the material and din't want to be giving up my saturday mornings!

I didn't "have" to go either....there was no pressure from the powers that be. Talking to some of the others who went to them they found of great benefit so if you are finding it tough then do make time to go to them.

doc_17 wrote: »
    I posted mine off as well. I never went to a tutorial...I had a choice of Belfast or Dublin but was happy enough with the material and din't want to be giving up my saturday mornings!

I didn't "have" to go either....there was no pressure from the powers that be. Talking to some of the others who went to them they found of great benefit so if you are finding it tough then do make time to go to them.

I'd agree. I went to a couple to see what they were like. If you are getting on fine with the material then there's no need to go. If you are struggling with something you can ask at the tutorial. You can also contact the tutor by phone or email.

You do have to weigh up the time spent travelling to a tutorial against time spend at home. For me (Roscommon based) I was looking at 2-2.5 hours on the road to Dublin on a Saturday morning for a 2-3 hour tutorial. Time for lunch and the same journey home. If I got behind during the week because of school work etc, the weekend was my time to catch up and I had to weigh up spending at least 5 hours of my day driving for a 2 hour tutorial v. a day at home where I could put the time in on the module. I chose not to go to the tutorials most of the time.

Spoke to TC today and they told me that I needed 10 ECTS of Maths from my degree, and looking at my course handbooks, I'm fairly sure I've got that at least. So I registered for MST121 today!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭raytray

Boogle- did you register to start in Oct? I tried to register yesterday but was put on a waiting list!

A waiting list? Maybe they don't have enough tutors for this area but it's worth giving them a ring anyway to keep pressure on.

First I've ever heard of a waiting list for OU. It must be to do with tutors. If you don't get the October start, sign up now for the February one.

Well I registered on their website and it said I had a place held until pay closing date. I printed off some forms for payment and I'm faxing them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭raytray

Im living in England so it must be full here but not in Ireland. There are 80 on the waiting list apparently!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

Yes, quota/waiting lists apply to England only and NOT Ireland or Scotland, Wales & N Ireland.

Advertisement