Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Shag Harbour

I love how they searched the place for a week and then the object was seen leaving the water a mile or so down the coast.
    USO in general have always fascinated me...
    Saw something on BBC news site last night about reports of an blue object crashing into Loch Ness of all places...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-14606660

Oh and whilst looking for links to shag harbour I came across this extract from a magazine extract on the subject of USOs:
    Five years earlier, a similar air-to-surface sighting took place in another part of the North Atlantic. On July 4th, 1958, Captain Raymond B. Foppe, a transatlantic pilot for Pan American Airways was making a cargo flight from Prestwick, Scotland to New York City. About 600 miles due west of the northern tip of Ireland, he sighted a strange -- and very large -- submerged object. He radioed: 'Large green object sighted underwater off coast of Ireland. Position 52degrees north. The entire object submerged.'
    "Prestwick Oceanic Control also heard Foppe add that it was (or appeared to be) '… an iceberg, about five square miles in area.' The British Admiralty warned ships clear of the area, but Coastal Command at Plymouth refused to act. They said it wasn't possible for an iceberg to exist in the Gulf Stream. Nevertheless, a search plane took off from Londonderry R.A.F. station to pinpoint it. After it searched for several hours without success, officials at Mount Batten, in Plymouth, were thoroughly puzzled. What had the American transport pilot seen that was so large, submerged and of a different color than the ocean water? What could cover an area of five square miles, then vanish so quickly? Was it merely sunlight reflected on the sea? Or a large school of fish?
    "Almost a year later, a similar sighting was made in the same general area, but nearer to Ireland. Captain H. Macfarland [sic], piloting a jet airliner between New York and Paris, reported another large green patch, or stain, on the surface of the water 200 miles west of Ireland. Puzzled, he asked for permission to descend to 1000 feet. For fully 20 minutes, he circled the green mass, examining the odd phenomenon at close range. He said he clearly saw bubbles rise and burst at the surface and steam rising from the stain. His conclusion was that some manner of volcanic disturbance was taking place on the ocean floor.

Good thread, been reading links most of the evening.
    Someone mentioned Flight 19 already...whatever about 1 pilot f*cking up, a whole squadron and a rescue plane belonging to the USAF over shallow water whilst in radio contact in clear weather just makes no sense at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Wasn't Shergar a notoriously ill-tempered beast though?
    That should be nothing difficult for the most novice of handlers. Even the most belligerent of stallions are usually capable of being handled in a standard bridle & chain... I really doubt this came into play in any decision to destroy Shergar, if he was destroyed, which I'd doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

later10 wrote: »
    That should be nothing difficult for the most novice of handlers. Even the most belligerent of stallions are usually capable of being handled in a standard bridle & chain... I really doubt this came into play in any decision to destroy Shergar, if he was destroyed, which I'd doubt.

Not sure about that at all. I have a background with horses, and they're incredibly strong animals. I've been knocked to the ground on numerous occasions by horses, as well as being head-butted, bitten and kicked. Someone who is not experienced with horses would simply not be in a position to handle an animal that is difficult (I don't know exactly how difficult Shergar was to handle, I'm only going on what I've heard). For example, regardless of whether the horse was in a bridle, I would still never, ever allow anyone who I knew to be inexperienced with horses handle a horse that may be difficult to handle. Also, we don't know the circumstances of what happened to the animal after it was stolen, what sort of situation the thiefs had him in and if the situation may have agitated or frightened the horse (given horses are extremely volatile and spooky).

It's an interesting story anyway, I guess. This is an interesting article on the matter, with input from a former IRA member who claims to know what happened. According to him, the poor creature met quite a grisly end.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1576718/The-truth-about-Shergar-racehorse-kidnapping.html

Not sure about that at all. I have a background with horses, and they're incredibly strong animals. I've been knocked to the ground on numerous occasions by horses, as well as being head-butted, bitten and kicked. Someone who is not experienced with horses would simply not be in a position to handle an animal that is difficult (I don't know exactly how difficult Shergar was to handle, I'm only going on what I've heard).
    Well that's presuming that the handlers had no experience in handling horses, and I think 'incredibly strong' is a bit misleading. A horse is only strong insofar as you actually need to handle him, and apart from sticking this stallion into a yard full of animals or into a paddock with other animals, I'm not convinced that there would have been any real difficulty.

Also the article you link to doesn't suggest anything to do with difficulty in handling Shergar as being a cause of his death, but rather (the oh so typical) fear of being caught on behalf of his captors.

I'm really not sure why the apparent 'difficulty' in handling a stallion gets mentioned so much - presumably by a media unaccustomed to handling horses.

Well that's presuming that the handlers had no experience in handling horses

I don't think that they did.

And also, I think it's very misleading to underestimate the strength of a horse. Dealing with horses is a high risk activity. It's very easy to lose control of them, it only takes a split second for the tables to be turned on a handler. You can never be too careful, and if someone is inexperienced and also in a tense situation, then I can see how it could get out of control quite easily.

Personally, I think it was the IRA who killed him, and I doubt we'll ever know where they buried him. Sometimes things just are what they appear to be, and I think this is one of those situations.

• Advertisement

Dealing with horses is a high risk activity.
    Eh, no it really, really isn't. I'm not sure what sort of quasi dinosaurs you think you've been dealing with, but most racehorses are actually pretty standard to deal with, be they stallions or not.

What exactly makes you think the people involved in this case would have had no experience with horses? That seems highly unlikely from a logical point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Wertz wrote: »
    Shag Harbour

I love how they searched the place for a week and then the object was seen leaving the water a mile or so down the coast.
    USO in general have always fascinated me...
    Saw something on BBC news site last night about reports of an blue object crashing into Loch Ness of all places...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-14606660

Oh and whilst looking for links to shag harbour I came across this extract from a magazine extract on the subject of USOs:
    Five years earlier, a similar air-to-surface sighting took place in another part of the North Atlantic. On July 4th, 1958, Captain Raymond B. Foppe, a transatlantic pilot for Pan American Airways was making a cargo flight from Prestwick, Scotland to New York City. About 600 miles due west of the northern tip of Ireland, he sighted a strange -- and very large -- submerged object. He radioed: 'Large green object sighted underwater off coast of Ireland. Position 52degrees north. The entire object submerged.'
    "Prestwick Oceanic Control also heard Foppe add that it was (or appeared to be) '… an iceberg, about five square miles in area.' The British Admiralty warned ships clear of the area, but Coastal Command at Plymouth refused to act. They said it wasn't possible for an iceberg to exist in the Gulf Stream. Nevertheless, a search plane took off from Londonderry R.A.F. station to pinpoint it. After it searched for several hours without success, officials at Mount Batten, in Plymouth, were thoroughly puzzled. What had the American transport pilot seen that was so large, submerged and of a different color than the ocean water? What could cover an area of five square miles, then vanish so quickly? Was it merely sunlight reflected on the sea? Or a large school of fish?
    "Almost a year later, a similar sighting was made in the same general area, but nearer to Ireland. Captain H. Macfarland [sic], piloting a jet airliner between New York and Paris, reported another large green patch, or stain, on the surface of the water 200 miles west of Ireland. Puzzled, he asked for permission to descend to 1000 feet. For fully 20 minutes, he circled the green mass, examining the odd phenomenon at close range. He said he clearly saw bubbles rise and burst at the surface and steam rising from the stain. His conclusion was that some manner of volcanic disturbance was taking place on the ocean floor.

Good thread, been reading links most of the evening.
    Someone mentioned Flight 19 already...whatever about 1 pilot f*cking up, a whole squadron and a rescue plane belonging to the USAF over shallow water whilst in radio contact in clear weather just makes no sense at all.

Probably a patch of phosphorescent plankton.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphorescence
    Volcanic activity or methane is also a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

The Big Bang and the origins of the universe.
    Multiverses.
    Dark Matter.
    Black Holes and Singularities.

Mind melting stuff when you read about them and shows how little we actually know or have yet to discover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Obelisk

I've watched that clip numerous times and I can't see the driver shooting anyone - I honestly can't!

I can see what they are talking about, deffo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Overtoun bridge in scotland - an apparent dog suicide bridge.Dozens of dogs have jumped to their deaths from it - some which survived have jumped again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtoun_House#Overtoun_Bridge_dog_deaths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Someone mentioned Hanging Rock. It's total fiction, it's not based on a true story or anything. Amazes me how many people think it's real!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

The New Jersey Devil. I remember reading about it as a kid and the story scared the hell out of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sky King wrote: »
    Overtoun bridge in scotland - an apparent dog suicide bridge.Dozens of dogs have jumped to their deaths from it - some which survived have jumped again.

The explanation is given at the end of the article

Dogs chasing mice and mink under the bridge and fall off

mikemac wrote: »

The explanation is given at the end of the article

Dogs chasing mice and mink under the bridge and fall off

So the ones that survive, presumably badly injured, runs up to jump off again?

Christ, dogs aren't very bright, are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Obelisk

Oh, and let's not forget Jesus. I'm still mystified as to whether he is the son of God or the greatest con artist in history.

Forgive me God.

Personal fave. See here :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056365570

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Edit: Re dog suicides - mink etc

That's a generally accepted theory but it's far from conclusively proven.

(I don't believe in ghosts or any of that craic but I do find it interesting).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Why does the Captain of any ship in a movie always look a bit like Captain Birdseye?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Edit: Re dog suicides - mink etc

That's a generally accepted theory but it's far from conclusively proven.

(I don't believe in ghosts or any of that craic but I do find it interesting).

What do ghost have to do with it? :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

What do ghost have to do with it? :confused::confused::confused:
    The kick the dogs off the edge of the bridge?

Eh, no it really, really isn't. I'm not sure what sort of quasi dinosaurs you think you've been dealing with, but most racehorses are actually pretty standard to deal with, be they stallions or not.

As I said before, that depends on how experienced one is with horses.

Given the people who stole the horse got the man who usually looked after him to help them bring the horse out and load it in the first place, it would seem they were not willing to do that themselves. Also, for some reason I feel like people stealing an expensive animal for the sole purpose of raising money to buy arms, may have seen the actual handling of the animal as somewhat secondary. I don't think it was a very carefully thought through plan, which is probably what ultimately led to the animal's demise.

Sometimes the explanation in front of you is the most obvious for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Why are so many female Irish politicians called Mary :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

lazygal wrote: »
    Someone mentioned Hanging Rock. It's total fiction, it's not based on a true story or anything. Amazes me how many people think it's real!

Totally. I LOVED that story as a kid. I remember getting the final chapter which was released many years later for Christmas one year. It was all fantasy and the last chapter was quite disappointing.

I think that is why people think it's true because they aren't aware the final chapter was held back (on purpose to make more money way down the line :rolleyes: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Don't think its been mentioned but I always liked the one about the lighthouse keepers who dissapeared from a Flannan Isles lightouse in 1900. Read about it years ago, here are a few links anyways:

http://www.unsolved-mysteries.com/unexplained_events/eilean_mor_lighthouse.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flannan_Isles#Mystery_of_1900

http://historicmysteries.com/the-disappearance-of-the-three-flannan-isles-lighthouse-keepers/comment-page-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

The Mayan Calendar and 2012!!

I think you'll have a better idea in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

BigCon wrote: »

not gonna read through 18 pages but the FBI apparantly have a lead on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

It would be good to know who Jack the Ripper was, if anythign to blow the royal conspiracy out of the water. My money is on George Chapman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Great thread.

The Dyatlov Pass Incident is scary stuff. Can't believe I had never heard of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Great thread.

The Dyatlov Pass Incident is scary stuff. Can't believe I had never heard of it before.

An interesting theory is the entire group were blinded somehow.

It's based on their erratic behaviour and the fact they attempted to start a fire with damp and thick pine branches when there was good dry bushwood everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

An interesting theory is the entire group were blinded somehow.

It's based on their erratic behaviour and the fact they attempted to start a fire with damp and thick pine branches when there was good dry bushwood everywhere.

But why were they only wearing their underwear? In those temperatures you would be all rugged up the whole time and especially before leaving your tent.

Odd that so many others hadn't heard of it. I am usually into all this kind of stuff and only read about it on here - boards.ie, the things you learn!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,129 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

But why were they only wearing their underwear? In those temperatures you would be all rugged up the whole time and especially before leaving your tent.

Apparently when you have hypothermia you actually feel like you're really hot so a lot of people start to strip off which obviously makes it even worse. Maybe that explains that part of it?

Advertisement