Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

SdoowSirhc wrote: »
    No offence but what is the mystery about area 51?

If it harbours aliens and their ships or not. Where have you been??

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

The Chupacabra
    Area 51 and what technology has been developed there since
    Paranormal entities like orbs, dark figures, ghosts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    If it harbours aliens and their ships or not. Where have you been??
    Lol, i know about the alien stories and stuff... But its an aircraft testing ground so that includes UFO's.. so its not a mystery in a true sense (sorry, I have no good arguement so I'm talking BS..:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

Who left a fcuking log like a Hippo's front leg in the shitters in the Weston last Thursday.

Ffcuker must have a hole like the sleeve of an overcoat:eek:

Had to beat the fcuker down with the corner of me laptop.

:D:D:D How does FB come out with these and other classics. pmsl

On a more serious note, I think its a great riddle that the church managed to get away with horrendous abuse for so long, and nobody investigated it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Obelisk wrote: »

I've watched that clip numerous times and I can't see the driver shooting anyone - I honestly can't!

Besides, if Jackie knew who really shot her husband, why wasn't she silenced too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

The story of the Mary Celeste.

Sorry. Whilst that one's fascinated me since my own childhood; I'm afraid it's since been 'blown out of the water' as a 'Big Mystery'.

The Facts just steam roll the 'Urban Myth' aspects that have long since grown up around it all.

http://www.maryceleste.net/

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Mary Celeste. Or whatever that ship was that was found with no crew, nothing in the llog and the breakfast table still set.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

^ I heard there was a theory of some kind of fire and the crew panicked and abandoned it, drowning; but the fire was some odd kind of fire that didnt burn things? I cant remember where I heard it.

Anyway, my favourite is the Bloop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop
    Maddie McCann, any alien stories and the Bermuda Triangle are all amazingly interesting too. :D

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Is pop music dead ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭VenusPlays

Where do the missing socks go?

Nevore wrote: »
    Mary Celeste. Or whatever that ship was that was found with no crew, nothing in the llog and the breakfast table still set.
    Patchy~ wrote: »
    ^ I heard there was a theory of some kind of fire and the crew panicked and abandoned it, drowning; but the fire was some odd kind of fire that didnt burn things? I cant remember where I heard it.

:rolleyes: Left and right at epic fails. Don't you people even read threads?

See Post # 219 .....

Yeah, apparently the empty barrels were red oak rather than the more solid qhite oak that the full casks were made of. The theory goes that the alchohol leeched through as a gas filling the hold with vapour and the metal bindings rubbign off each other ignited them. Big explosion, no flames. Scare the living bejesus outo f the sailors and they abandon ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Ditch wrote: »
    " But, there was no way to see if she was sexually traumatized or not. In the morning. "

:confused: How come? Are we extrapolate then that she also suffered a severe axe wound to the ..... well ... 'Axe Wound '. A nasty gash to the .....

Not terribly funny. In fact, not even amusing. :rolleyes:

Ditch wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Left and right at epic fails. Don't you people even read threads?

See Post # 219 .....
    Did you even read the website? He's trying to sell a book. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭storker

Enough of this trivia...time to address the really important mysteries:
    • Jedward (nuff said)
    • Why does the other queue always move faster?
    • Has anyone ever been served a MacDonald's burger that actually looked like the photo?
    • Why can we send men to the moon and build the Hubble telescope that can peek into the furthest corners of the galaxy, but we still can't come up with a milk carton that opens reliably?
    • What's all the fuss about Grainne Seoige?
    • Why is it that whenever you change channels on satellite, there's always an ad break on?
    • Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?
    • Who told Keanu Reeves he could act?
    • Who told women that pouting was sexy?
    • Where did Anne Doyle get that ridiculous accent?
    • How evil can a spirit really be, if wind chimes are enough to scare it away?
    ...continued on p.94

Stork

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

Has Princess Diana been mentioned???

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Nope not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Soviet Sub K-129 sinks March 8th 1968

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_K-129_%281960%29

March 17th 1968, USS Swordfish limps into port in Japan for repairs after hitting an "Iceberg"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_K-129_%281960%29#Collision_with_USS_Swordfish

May 22nd 1968,USS Scorpion is lost in the Atlantic with all hands
    no conclusive verdict is reached on her sinking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Scorpion_%28SSN-589%29

(interesting to note that since 1967,senior warrant officer John A. Walker was leaking naval info to the KGB,including encryption codes to a Navy cypher machine that the north Koreans capture in January 1968)

http://www.usni.org/magazines/navalhistory/2010-06/navys-biggest-betrayal

does his betrayal lead to the sinking of the USS Scorpion?

1974 the Huges Glomar Explorer raises a section of K-129
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Glomar_Explorer_%28T-AG-193%29

Russian sailors recovered are shown to be buried at sea in this declassified video

In 1985 Robert Ballard carries out a detailed study of USS Scorpion on behalf of the Navy (Ballard;a former Intelligence officer,was still a Naval Reserve officer at the time) it was this financing by the Navy that allowed him to discover the RMS Titanic only after he had studied the USS Scorpion wreck

to me the dates of these three incidents in the beginning of 1968 seem far too close together to be mere coincidence,unfortunately much of the evidence is still classified so the mystery remains

Not terribly funny. In fact, not even amusing. :rolleyes:

Nevore wrote: »
    Did you even read the website? He's trying to sell a book. :rolleyes:

And there we have it; The perfect platform from which ye can each demonstrate ye own, better grasps of the situations :)

1/ Why was this ..... what? 'Supposed'? 'Imagined'? 'Fantasised' ? " Sexual Trauma " not able to be proven / disproven?

Who ~ originally ~ even brought it up, at the time? It's like the supposition that the killer returned to the adults bedroom and gave them some more:

Says who? Based on what? Sorry; Just smacks of more Wikishit.

2/ " He's trying to sell a book. " So ....? He's dedicated himself to some pretty heavy research into the case. He's dug out and studied original papers. He obviously knows his shit.

But, if he'd like to recoup some of his effort from selling his work, he's a " :rolleyes: " ?

Jesus :( Have we Really reached a stage where the mentality of, " I want it Now. I want it for as few key strokes as I can use. I want it for Free. "

" Damn Paying; There's Got To Be Someone, Somewhere, on line that'll allow me to just Take what I want. Now; Before I 404. "

That is a mystery, to me. When the hell did that mind set take over?

Only, could we please separate the answers into the " -40 and 40+ " age groups. That could be fun!

Yeah; Or the subject of a whole new thread .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Michael 09 wrote: »
    Has Princess Diana been mentioned???
    Now she has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Which came first: Chicken or the egg! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

eskimocat wrote: »

The Egg came first an animal similar to a chicken, but not a chicken, laid the first chicken egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

eskimocat wrote: »

The egg did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Karona wrote: »

I found something similar to this last year while walking in a field in Offaly, really odd stuff, just semi transparent blobs sitting on the grass. It was a bit like frogspawn without the tadpoles. I didn't think too much about it, apparently the BBC did some research on this phenomenon but didn't come up with a conclusive explanation, an algae expert told them he was convinced it wasn't plant or animal. I reckon it's Zeus' semen fallen to Earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

The lads who took him had to destroy him as they had no stallion experience and horse went bananas. There was a story going the rounds that he lived and was used to cover mares under a different name,most unlikely these days with dna/blood tests.
    What DNA tests? Shergar was kidnapped in the early 1980s, DNA databases became a feature of performance horse recording only much later. I think it's quite possible that if there were any records of Shergar's DNA left behind, that his descendants may be traced in the future.

Of course part of the problem is that the mares he may have covered may only have been very insubstantial animals or local broodmares, given the low profile that would have been necessary for his abductors to have kept. Therefore his progeny may have gone on to compete at little more than local hunter trials or riding club meets.

I'm not sure why it is that people suggest that Shergar was shot because he was a stallion, I think there's a certain level of exaggeration involved in how difficult it is perceived to be to handle stallions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

later10 wrote: »
    What DNA tests? Shergar was kidnapped in the early 1980s, DNA databases became a feature of performance horse recording only much later. I think it's quite possible that if there were any records of Shergar's DNA left behind, that his descendants may be traced in the future.

Of course part of the problem is that the mares he may have covered may only have been very insubstantial animals or local broodmares, given the low profile that would have been necessary for his abductors to have kept. Therefore his progeny may have gone on to compete at little more than local hunter trials or riding club meets.

I'm not sure why it is that people suggest that Shergar was shot because he was a stallion, I think there's a certain level of exaggeration involved in how difficult it is perceived to be to handle stallions.

Wasn't Shergar a notoriously ill-tempered beast though? I suppose the handling of stallions would also depend on how experienced one is with horses. Someone who doesn't know anything about a highly-strung racehorse apart from that it's worth a lot of money may have some difficulty in handling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Oh, and let's not forget Jesus. I'm still mystified as to whether he is the son of God or the greatest con artist in history.

Forgive me God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Advertisement