Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which brands of Diesel and Petrol do you find best for quality and MPG ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Somebody needs a hug in this thread and it isn't me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Tesco
    gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    So the additives to the fuel made the difference, like I said only knobheads buy that stuff, super fuel, clean fuel, premium fuel, what ever fuel. Its all the same in a standard car.

The pump fuel makes a difference, additives make an even bigger difference. It's not all the same in a standard car. TBH you've been able to provide nothing but guff and bluster to this topic, have you anything meaningful to add? Or will your ego allow you to take something from it and let you see you've learned something here tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Texaco
    Petrol is petrol, diesel is diesel, doesn't matter where ya buy it from.

It cannot be manufactured, so quality is down to nature, not brand name!

Anyone who thinks it makes a difference is obviously easily influenced by the media, and as they say " God Bless Them "

The only thing that makes a difference in MPG etc is driving style and as they say dont drive like a " Knobhead !"
    So the additives to the fuel made the difference, like I said only knobheads buy that stuff, super fuel, clean fuel, premium fuel, what ever fuel. Its all the same in a standard car.

Do you see the difference?

95RON octane is 95 octane petrol, but different petrol suppliers put different additive packages into that petrol and therefore supply different products to the end-user (whether you believe in the effects of those additives again will depend on your experience/research).

The premise of the thread is a fair one imho. I don't know why you're being so dismissive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Texaco
    -Chris- wrote: »
    So we have one poster who says he can provide dyno results that show the difference in performance between fuels on his vehicle, and we have another who says there's no difference based on the fact he's never seen a difference.

Who to believe... :rolleyes:

Yet to be provided and based on admitted additives.

Please.......

Grade A Modding there!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Texaco

Please.......

I'm not modding unless I'm posting in bold (I presume you have sigs turned on, seeing as you have one yourself, and I do make reference to that convention in my sig).

I'm modding now, and I'm saying that I think you're Trolling based on your current posting style.

You'd want to improve the tone of your posting asap or you'll be receiving a ban for Trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Mech1

What effect would atmospheric pressure, ambient air temp, humidity etc have on a dyno result?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

But I do know fuel and it hasn't changed in millions of years, I guess your car cant say the same.

Fuel hasn't changed in "millions of years"? How old do you think petrol is? Do you not remember 12 years ago when you could still get leaded petrol? There was no change there? You're demanding proof from other posters yet have absolutely nothing to back your claims? :rolleyes:

I've only switched to a diesel earlier this year, and so far have noticed no discernible difference between Topaz, Maxol, or Texaco, but haven't tried the latter two (or any others) enough yet...

Tesco

Please.......

Are you reading my posts? That was another additive that was put in on top... As for scanning dyno sheets? I think the members in here know me well enough to know I'm not bull****ting and wouldn't expect me to scan sheets at this hour of the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Maxol
    Gary ITR wrote: »
    My bubble is far from burst. The spec of my car doesn't matter because the only variable is where the fuel has come from. when we tune cars we get better results on Maxol, always and that's down to how it detonates.

Like I said already different companies use additives so the fuel is different when it gets to the end user, we made 6BHP on a car today by adding something to the fuel. It's a boards users car so he can verify that.

The fuel is always different as the additives are inconsistently applied. The only consistant fuel that I have found to be good for my car is Maxol E5. The rest are largely inconsistent. Got a savage tank from Tesco two months ago. But 90% of the time I get a really bad MPG from there.

Voted for Esso by mistake.

Tesco
    Mech1 wrote: »
    What effect would atmospheric pressure, ambient air temp, humidity etc have on a dyno result?

Not a lot, the dyno takes all of this into account, it has it's own weather station for this very reason. So on a given day with the temp probes in the same positions the results will be the same. If we were to say drop the temp probe into the engine bay the result would be different

We also use a Dyno Dynamics machine which are know to be the most accurate/consistent machines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

I dont see any proof coming to prove otherwise and as a mod I dont see what your problem is with the question??? Provide proof as requested??

I've been driving longer than I care to remember and Ive yet to see a difference or been showing proof of it!

Thats my proof, life experience.

You have got some attitude. Life experience you are getting on like your 13 years old. Either contribute to the discussion or back down, you're getting a bit boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Monty.

No brand name / independent supplier / other

I've been driving longer than I care to remember and Ive yet to see a difference or been showing proof of it!

Thats my proof, life experience.

Ok, that's your opinion, but perhaps either you, or your cars, have not noticed the subtle differences other people have, so let them have their say and opinion as well.

Not a lot, the dyno takes all of this into account. So on a given day with the temp probes in the same positions the results will be the same. If we were to say drop the temp probe into the engine bay the result would be different

so a dyno takes atmospheric pressure / humidity into account when working out the bhp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Texaco
    Ok

So I've rubbed everyone up the wrong way, grand, I'll back off. Apologies all round.

Tesco
    Mech1 wrote: »
    so a dyno takes atmospheric pressure / humidity into account when working out the bhp?

It has a weather station there to work out what it needs. I'm not going to give an answer to that question because I'm not 100% sure what it measures or how it does it but I will find out for you on Monday (I'm not the dyno operator)

I have seen cars come in, in the height of winter and make the same power on a warm day though

EDIT: Just found out there, yes our machine does measure Barometric Pressure and Relative Humidity along with the Ambient Temperature

on your dyno printouts does it give a correction factor?

like SAE-J1349?

Tesco
    See my edit above :)

what correction factor are you using?

Tesco
    I haven't got that info to hand dude

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Tesco
    I can provide dyno sheets showing difference in fuel from the same place Gary_ITR gets his...157bhp on Topaz and 163 on Maxol E5 if gpfjordan cares so much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Monty.

No brand name / independent supplier / other
    I can provide dyno sheets showing difference in fuel from the same place Gary_ITR gets his...157bhp on Topaz and 163 on Maxol E5 if gpfjordan cares so much

Great info.
    Would you find topaz and maxol the best, any other good ones ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Tesco
    Monty. wrote: »
    Would you find topaz and maxol the best, any other good ones ?

I generally only use Topaz, Esso or Maxol, with Maxol being my preferred option. Almost always use Octane Booster too though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Are you reading my posts? That was another additive that was put in on top... As for scanning dyno sheets? I think the members in here know me well enough to know I'm not bull****ting and wouldn't expect me to scan sheets at this hour of the night

Ah now... Sure haven't ya nothing better to do anyway? :pac:

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

I mostly buy Texaco (with techron) and i think its 98 or 99 rating on it.

i honestly cant for the life of me say why but for some reason i have it bet into my head that Applegreen is devil fuel and Texaco are gods.

but Topaz and Esso i would have no problem filling up at.

dunno about emo.. though on mount brown its usually quite cheap.

anyone have statics between the lot ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

I’ve never noticed a difference in quality between brands
    we use Morris Oil mainly because of family links.

Saw a Great Gas tanker topping up the local Texaco pumps recently. which IMO makes this poll useless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Tesco
    robbie_998 wrote: »
    I mostly buy Texaco (with techron) and i think its 98 or 99 rating on it.

i honestly cant for the life of me say why but for some reason i have it bet into my head that Applegreen is devil fuel and Texaco are gods.

but Topaz and Esso i would have no problem filling up at.

dunno about emo.. though on mount brown its usually quite cheap.

anyone have statics between the lot ?

As far as im aware Techron is just additives which reduce the natural wear and corrosion form the petrols chemical composition on the fuel pump (open to correction here?). I dont believe there is any performance increase gained from Texaco petrol or claimed by Texaco? Its 95 RON.

Turbo and supercharged cars often see much better performance gains from using higher RON petrol, it solely means that that petrol/air mixture requires more heat to detonate. Therefore pre detonation (knock) is reduced (increasing power) as the fuel is being detonated at the correct time according to the map that the engine is using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Texaco
    The pump fuel makes a difference, additives make an even bigger difference. It's not all the same in a standard car. TBH you've been able to provide nothing but guff and bluster to this topic, have you anything meaningful to add? Or will your ego allow you to take something from it and let you see you've learned something here tonight?

Gary - does dipetane make any difference to power output in diesels ??

Same place - is it a spefici garage or any old Maxol E5 ?
    Almost always use Octane Booster too though
    What now ?
    Whats octane booster ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Tesco
    What now ?
    Whats octane booster ?

an additive which can be added to a tank of petrol which effectively makes the petrol less combustable. This at first seems counter intuitive, but this slight increase in the energy that is required to make the fuel detonate can eliminate a lot of engine knock.

Find your nearest EVO owner who has tuned his car to learn more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Texaco
    You know I hadn't made this connection before but I've noticed last day or two engine (diesel) seems a bit more rough than usual since I filled her up at garage on the quays in Dublin. Can't remember brand off hand but I'll check it next time I'm by there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mm_surf

Engines with knock sensors will notice a difference, those without will not.

My car has an agressive map (from factory, its a VR4), in that it pushes timing & fuel load until it sees/hears knock, then backs off a bit. It does this actively, adjusting the map continously.

I've never noticed much difference in petrol stations, except for two notible exceptions:

Maxol E5 - much more power, but as it uses fuel as much as it can, the mileage goes down by about 20%. Fun but short lived!

Tesco - Got a tank every now & then, and it never felt quite right - so I did a test one week. I was on a 4 day training course, 200 mile round trip every day. Weather nice & consistent, same traffic & same time of day each trip. Long enough to "smooth out" any inconsistencies. The tesco petrol gave 25% less mpg.

Genreally use Texaco, but that's pure convenience. Local station and all that, generally as cheap as anywhere else. So generally speaking I avoid Maxol (if I know I'm going on a long run), or Tesco.

M.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement