Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

grey_man wrote: »
    Apologies didn't see the EPC 2425 sticky :o

Hi there,

I'm trying to set my router to act as a modem only and leave all the routing/firewall functions to my belkin play router.

I had this working well for about a month until this morning when there was no internet connectivity. I unplugged both routers for a while and tried again, still nothing. I then used the reset button on the 2425 and connected my laptop via wire. I could then connect to the web.

The way I did this before is I disabled the wireless functions on the 2425. I then used http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp to change from 'Router' to 'Bridge' mode.

I then cloned my wlan card's mac address into my belkin router and once my 2425 had reboot everything was working fine.

I tried to repeat this process but can't seem to get it working again. When I select bridge mode the router reboots and the DS, US and Ethernet 1 lights will come on while the 'Online' light remains off.

I won't be able to connect to the 192.168.100or1.1 router page from now on and have to reset the router via the push button at the back.

I tried cloning my lan card's mac address into the belkin as I was using cat5 but that didn't work either. I think the problem may be with the 2425?

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be the problem? It literally just stopped working overnight.

Thanks a lot!!
    G.

PS The wireless feature doesn't seem to be working either I haven't really looked into it but I assume Wireless>Basic>Access point enabled should work?
    Firmware Name
    epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-110516cs_upc.bin
    Software Revision
    epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-110516cs_upc
    Hi. I have the same problem. I have the modem setup in gateway mode. The broadband went last night as well. It has not returned. The problem according to UPC is the modem or my local connection. There was a power cut yesterday which possibly is linked. I await the tech phonecall from UPC tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

I think whatever they did in the latest firmware update has screwed up bridge mode. I guess since it's not on the router config page any more they decided it was ok to break it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Since like the last month, the CISCO modem has been given me tons of trouble.

I keep on loosing connection to servers from online games, live video streams etc.

All of the friends that play with me and have a Cisco have this problem.

WHY CAN'T THEY JUST GIVE US A DAMN SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA? :(

MickeyD wrote: »
    I think whatever they did in the latest firmware update has screwed up bridge mode. I guess since it's not on the router config page any more they decided it was ok to break it

I say your right.

I had no TV or BB yesterday and rang up support. The TV got sorted shortly later. Though no BB.

I came across this post and reverted back to router mode and it worked, then reverted back to bridge mode and no joy.

I have a DD-WRT access point which I changed the subnet to 192.168.200.1 and reverted the UPC 2425 to router mode, which seems to be working at the moment.

That UPC2425 is a heap, and there was no way I was having that handling all of my streaming, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Pov06 wrote: »
    WHY CAN'T THEY JUST GIVE US A DAMN SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA? :(

Maybe something to this effect could be stickied so people can request one when they sign up for UPC? Luckily I spotted this thread before I signed up and asked for a Scientific Atlanta. Having said that the installer musn't have got the message as he was all set to give me a Cisco - seemed surprised that I didn't want it.

Using a Linksys WRT54g running Tomato firmware - rock solid connection with loads of features.

• Advertisement

Anyway so,

A technitian came around my house today. Showed him the modem, told him my problems. He automatically told me that the Cisco modem is crap.

So I asked if he would be able to get me a Scientific Atlanta... He said he'll give Sales support a call and will come back to me today.

We'll see what's gonna happen. They better come back.

I also offered to buy a used Scientific Atlanta from an advert site. They said they won't be able to Provision it???

digitaldr wrote: »
    Maybe something to this effect could be stickied so people can request one when they sign up for UPC? Luckily I spotted this thread before I signed up and asked for a Scientific Atlanta. Having said that the installer musn't have got the message as he was all set to give me a Cisco - seemed surprised that I didn't want it.

Using a Linksys WRT54g running Tomato firmware - rock solid connection with loads of features.

Sorry for double posting but when did you get your Scientific Atlanta installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

OK....

I don't want to tempt fate now.

But I changed some settings after reading an Apple forum and changed the settings to WPA2-PSK and the encryption to AES only.

And the Channel to 1.

All my devices are Apple which I believe work best on N. I have not turned my Blackberry Wifi on in the past week.

Have not had a single drop off. It's weird, everything is flying. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Hi Pov06 - did they call you back about the Scientific Atlanta? Got mine in February of this year.

digitaldr wrote: »
    Hi Pov06 - did they call you back about the Scientific Atlanta? Got mine in February of this year.

Yes, but apparently it's in an office further away from my area, so the technician will collect it tomorrow.

I'll be on to them all day tomorrow until they decide to bring it over.

I saw a few of those modems up on advert sites, and UPC wouldn't let me use one if I bought it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

So there's hope....
    Same situation, Cisco in bridged mode, unable to get an online connection LED to light since Friday while US and DS remain lit.
    UPC support recommendation is to reset to factory (ie. load the new firmware image).
    Engineer calling out next Friday.

--John

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

po0k wrote: »
    So there's hope....
    Same situation, Cisco in bridged mode, unable to get an online connection LED to light since Friday while US and DS remain lit.
    UPC support recommendation is to reset to factory (ie. load the new firmware image).

--John

Yes - I had the same problem. I did a full factory reset.That was the only way to allow communication again with the EPC2425. I then disabled wireless etc on the EPC and reconnected it by wire to my Linksys 610n router. No problems since. I suspect that your EPC has already loaded up the new firmware and that is why you are off-line etc.

MG

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Funny you say that because I had my cisco in bridge mode and two days ago it just stopped working.. Had to do a full factory reset to get it going again.
    I might just go the DMZ way from now on, but I'm going to have to reset my netgear wndr3700 aswell.. Its a pain in the arse..

Has anyone gone the DMZ way with a wndr3700?
    are you getting full speeds?
    I noticed when in bridge mode my torrents where getting full speeds but if i was to download a file in IE or Chrome i was luck to get 300k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 theginger45

Hi guys,

I just moved to a new place in Dublin and have a wireless problem. My building is registered with Sky Conway (bad company from what I hear, but I had very little choice) so I've recently got wifi installed by them. It works okay but the only place it was able to go was on the extreme right wall of the 3-bed apartment, which means my room on the extreme left can barely get any signal.

To try and fix this problem I'm try to set up my old router, an EPC2425 which I got with a subscription to UPC, as a bridge or repeater to improve the signal in the room on the far left. Is there any way that the EPC2425 can be used like this? I've heard I need to use DD-WRT but the EPC2425 doesn't seem to be supported...got a feeling it's not going to work.

Anyone tried this before with an EPC2425? Any other suggestions if it's not going to work?

Cheers

FINALLY got my Scientific Atlanta modem!!!

Bought a NETGEAR N300 router to go with it.

Set it up, guess what? No more connection loss :DDD

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Looks like they have locked it out.
    The internet only works if its in router mode.
    I've also tried cloning the MAC address and it still didn't work.
    I guess the http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp option is now pointless :(

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

i have the EPC2425 Modem and was wondering if its wireless b, g ,or n as im getting a wlan card for my new dell 8300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

buzzerxx wrote: »
    i have the EPC2425 Modem and was wondering if its wireless b, g ,or n as im getting a wlan card for my new dell 8300

The EPC2425 is wireless G. AFAIK you only get it if you get a broadband speed of 30mb or lower.

I would still recommend you to get a wireless N card so you will be future proofed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

thanks, im gonna have to get on to them about changing modem to my own as n is less succeptible to inteference and is much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

Rob C wrote: »
    OK....

I don't want to tempt fate now.

But I changed some settings after reading an Apple forum and changed the settings to WPA2-PSK and the encryption to AES only.

And the Channel to 1.

All my devices are Apple which I believe work best on N. I have not turned my Blackberry Wifi on in the past week.

Have not had a single drop off. It's weird, everything is flying. :confused:

Still have not had a single drop since the above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pokertony28

please upc give our download speeds back throtling the hole country and giv us crap speeds hav enough pay good money for slow speeds the faster the better

please upc give our download speeds back throtling the hole country and giv us crap speeds hav enough pay good money for slow speeds the faster the better

How come your speed is being throttled?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

po0k wrote: »
    So there's hope....

--John

Yes - I had the same problem. I did a full factory reset.That was the only way to allow communication again with the EPC2425. I then disabled wireless etc on the EPC and reconnected it by wire to my Linksys 610n router. No problems since. I suspect that your EPC has already loaded up the new firmware and that is why you are off-line etc.

MG

It seemed to be borked. The engineer chap couldn't reset it so he just switched in a new box and all is ok again. Weird how a router could get corrupted that even a reset didn't even work. :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nightowl

Hi Guys,

I'm currently using the EPC2425 and I had it in bridge mode with my own wireless router connected to it! Yesterday there was a big outage in Dublin and my EPC2425 has not come back online since! I'm unable to connect to it using http://192.168.100.1/ or http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp. I tried to connect to it directly using an ethernet cable and laptop but no joy!

During the outage yesterday I powered off and on the router. Are you guys aware of any firmware upgrades to the router? Is it true that we can't access the router from http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp anymore?

Does the below method work

Enabled Bridge in
    -Wireless -> Bridging ->
    Wireless Bridging enabled.
    switched access point off in:
    -Wireless -> Basic ->
    Access Point disabled.

An Engineer is scheduled for this Friday :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nightowl

nightowl wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm currently using the EPC2425 and I had it in bridge mode with my own wireless router connected to it! Yesterday there was a big outage in Dublin and my EPC2425 has not come back online since! I'm unable to connect to it using http://192.168.100.1/ or http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp. I tried to connect to it directly using an ethernet cable and laptop but no joy!

During the outage yesterday I powered off and on the router. Are you guys aware of any firmware upgrades to the router? Is it true that we can't access the router from http://192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp anymore?

Does the below method work

Enabled Bridge in
    -Wireless -> Bridging ->
    Wireless Bridging enabled.
    switched access point off in:
    -Wireless -> Basic ->
    Access Point disabled.

An Engineer is scheduled for this Friday :confused:

Okay I pity much tried to above method and it worked :D . I had to connect my laptop using ethernet cable directly to EPC2425 router. I then had 20 seconds to make the configuration changes I needed before the router locked me out again :confused: .

Very strange and UPC tech support are a joke. I called a couple of agents and the they keep telling me they are getting no reports of problems about the EPC2425 router. Check this forum link as well regarding the 20 seconds to make the configuration changes http://goo.gl/zdACK

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tirtytree

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a weird issue with my UPC EPC2425 20Mbit connection since about 5 days.

One day - at about 9.00am the internet stopped working. This of course is nothing unusual for UPC, but this time it was. The internet just won’t work. So I laid my eye on the Cable Modem and realised that multiple reboots did not solved the problem. After reset (30sec after power on) I realised internet is working again but in ROUTER mode. Multiple attempts of enabling the Gateway mode ended nowhere.

Did anyone experience that?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

funny you should say that, last friday week my upc modem was working in gateway mode, i got up saturday and it wouldnt go on the net either in router or gateway mode, online light wouldnt come on, engineer out that monday he got my online light working but still no net, he had to replace the modem in the end and was working fine till i came home from work this evening turned it on and back to page cannot be displayed

Had to do some fiddling but eventually came online and working again, the engineer did say when he was out that UPC had changed all the frequencies recently and is playing havoc with modems at the moment

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tirtytree

shinzon wrote: »
    funny you should say that, last friday week my upc modem was working in gateway mode, i got up saturday and it wouldnt go on the net either in router or gateway mode, online light wouldnt come on, engineer out that monday he got my online light working but still no net, he had to replace the modem in the end and was working fine till i came home from work this evening turned it on and back to page cannot be displayed

Had to do some fiddling but eventually came online and working again, the engineer did say when he was out that UPC had changed all the frequencies recently and is playing havoc with modems at the moment

Shin

HA! I have exact the same symptoms. The online light would not come up and if it does the internet isnt there. And with, say, 5 attempts it never did. I'm curious what exactly is the problem? As I understand a modem exchange won't solve the issue - in general?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

Thank God for boards.ie! :)

I been having murder with my modem the last few months and have had call out after call out.I'm gonna get on to them tomorrow and ask for a new Scientific Atlanta modem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Either on purpose or by accident its been killed. I've tried everything it just won't pick up a WAN ip when its in bridge mode.
    Probably not much chance of anyone from UPC confirming if this is a permanent change or if its just a mistake.

Advertisement