Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 16, Stage 14: Saint-Gaudens - Plateau de Beille 168km

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

dedon wrote: »
    Voeckler! This has another scandal written all over it. How can he totally turn around his performances?

He would usually loose 3 or 4 mins at least in these stages. I cannot understand it. Does not make any sense that he could totally change the way he rides.

I think it is pretty disgraceful to be honest.

Rasmussen all over again.

Pure mental toughness if you ask me. You see the pride on his face when he takes to the podium in the yellow jersey. You could see he was was suffering during each attack but gritted his teeth and covered each of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭milosh

It is did well by the way. Not done.

He had a shocker today and is probably still on the road

He finished 6:47 down in 33rd so lost 6 minutes on the leaders. Not as bad as it could have been. He is probably still top 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

mahoo wrote: »
    for feck sake. give the man some credit. he's in great form. maybe the others aren't in the best of form and it allowed him to hang on where he normally wouldn't have. if it was the contador of last year, sure, he might have lost 4mins. the yellow jersey makes everyone lift their game anyway. look at thor earlier in the race. thomas voekler = legend. fact

He has never ever climbed like that. He is a totally different rider and it has come from nowhere. We have seen this before and it always end in tears. I don't know what u mean by he only losses when contador is on form. U need to check previous tour results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Nico ain't a pure climber and that was proved again today. Maybe he'd have more energy if he didn't spend so much time every evening writing the Irish Idependent articles ;)

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the Schlecks don't have the intelligence to win a Tour and don't deserve to

Again, why oh why oh why didn't AS attack with a few k to go rather than in the last 400m.

Will AS end his career wondering if he could have won a Tour if he'd once been more aggressive!

What if once he attacked at 100% rather than just towing the group up like he did today and countless other times ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭happytramp

Maybe some of the other riders have stopped eating magic steak or whatever, giving mere mortals like Vockler a chance???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

What are the Schleks playing at? Are they afraid to win or something? They can not seem to do anything on their own, they would be undeserving winners. I thought as things with on that Contador looked better. I can't see him pulling back the two minutes

I really would like to see Voeckler hold on, I though he was going to go on the attack in the final few K's

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

roche 18th overall 10 mins 56s down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Roche 18th on GC at +10'56".

GAH, TOO SLOW! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭milosh

Roche is 18th but more importantly 2:30 down on Peraud. The team will have to ride for him now given how strong he looked today and his ability as a TT rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

roche 18th overall 10 mins 56s down
    Should be finally able to go for a stage or two. prob should have lost another 2 mins just to be sure.

I was in the top 10 camp but after today forget it, and i'd say that in terms of the future too.

Lots of up and coming riders, lots of the regular top 10ers out injured after crashes. It was now or never.

Think he needs to re-think his whole philosophy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ColSheehan

Wow Voeckler, what a ride from him to stay with the favourites the whole way through again! Really hope he goes on and keeps it for another couple of stages. I'd love to see him win it but I'm not sure if he can last in the Alps, but since he has the yellow jersey anything is possible! The jersey may urge him on to keep hold of it like in 2004. The only person I can see taking it off his shoulders is Evans, and tbh after seeing him second best enough of times, I think he deserves it once at least! :D

Edit: Roche should definitely go for stage victories now after losing enough time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

He has never ever climbed like that. He is a totally different rider and it has come from nowhere. We have seen this before and it always end in tears. I don't know what u mean by he only losses when contador is on form. U need to check previous tour results.

Not a spelling nazi now I see.....

This is completely different to Rasmussen, it's not like he was away on his own - just digging very deep to cover the attacks.

Just because someone is on form and pours their heart into a ride doesn't mean they should automatically suspected of doping. Innocent until proven guilty surely.....

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

I don't know what u mean by he only losses when contador is on form. U need to check previous tour results.

i didnt say he only looses when contador is on form... i meant that the pace was probably slower than it has been in the past which allowed him to stay with everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭corny

Again, why oh why oh why didn't AS attack with a few k to go rather than in the last 400m.

Whats more frustrating is that anyone watching today could only come to the conclusion that Andy had loads in hand of the others. Every time he attacked he seemed really strong but was only concerned with not dropping his brother. Backs off every time. It was the same last year. He spent the entire time in the Alps saying i'm waiting for the Pyrenees. Ignoring the fact Contador was there to be attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

roche 33rd 6 mins 47s down

ouch!!!

i wonder if he ate enough food, losing 6 minutes at this point in the tour is dreadful for him, perhaps he'll now have to ride domestique for Peraud.

in fairness to roche though, he had terrible preparation with that crash in the Dauphine only 5 weeks ago, id imagine most of the other top contenders wouldnt fancy that kind of prep either

as for the schlecks, Frank doesnt have the legs and Andy doesnt have the bottle, i hope Voeckler hangs on and keeps the yellow, that'll teach the peloton to stop chasing breakaways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Andy Schleck just said he felt really good today. So why the fu€k didn't you attack earlier then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Andy Schleck just said he felt really good today. So why the fu€k didn't you attack earlier then?
    Lack of brain cells?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

and then said he was on the limit for the last 2k (i think he may have been joking when he said he felt really good)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Yes the Schlecks are a few teeth short of a chainring.

I definitely think Andy doesn't have the savy or kudos to win a Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

the bus just came in with thor and cav. . no disqualifications today anyway

• Advertisement

Ye can say what ye like about voeckler. I will stick to my view. We have seen this before and it hasn't ended well.

I am not having a go but I just cannot understand how someone can totally change the way he rides. Physically it is very very very difficult to achieve and I don't believe it.

Great gutsy rider and all but I don't believe it.

I thought people would have learned by now when to judge who to believe and not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ye can say what ye like about voeckler. I will stick to my view. We have seen this before and it hasn't ended well.

I am not having a go but I just cannot understand how someone can totally change the way he rides. Physically it is very very very difficult to achieve and I don't believe it.

I thought people would have learned by now when to judge who to believe and not.

Do you not remember in 2004, he held the yellow jersey all the way through the Pyrenees before losing it in the Alps.He's done this before,and will be same thing this year

titan18 wrote: »
    Do you not remember in 2004, he held the yellow jersey all the way through the Pyrenees before losing it in the Alps.He's done this before,and will be same thing this year

Ah come on. He has nearly 30 mins ahead then not 2mins. He lost over 60 mins in the end. Btw he hammered the time today when did this climb in 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Beached

Nico Roche could do better, with an injury free build up to the tour, but he will never keep in touch with the top guys day after day. I would love to see him have the freedom to go on a few breaks like 2009. But thats not gonna happen when he is within 10 min of the leader.
    Looking at the upcoming stage profiles, Tuesday could suit him if he was feeling good. I actually remember him pulling a bit of time back in a similar stage profile with a cheeky attack last year.

Stage 10 last year, Chambery to Gap.
    He pulled a minute back.
    http://www.steephill.tv/2010/tour-de-france/previews-results/stage-10/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭corny

titan18 wrote: »

His lead was eaten away day by day though in 2004. I'm not gonna accuse him of cheating but two Europcar riders in the main group after the work they've put in doesn't seem right to me either. He's innocent until proven guilty though and for now he's lighting up the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

He has never ever climbed like that. He is a totally different rider and it has come from nowhere. We have seen this before and it always end in tears.

Total garbage. He climbed like that in '04 when he last held the yellow. He doesn't normally contest the GC, so he's no reason to contest the climbs fully.

He's also a zero on the list of suspicion.

I hope your thread contribution ends in tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

and then said he was on the limit for the last 2k (i think he may have been joking when he said he felt really good)

Joking? I didn't think the Schlecks did humour! :pac:

Either way, the pair of them are uninspiring & seem to have no killer instinct!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

The Leopard grunts must be getting pissed off having to drag the race over the big hills and then nothing happens in the final.

I beginning to hope Voeckler can hang on because the 'big guns' are too brainless and/or gutless to attack each other

Seven Worlds will Collide

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Total garbage. He climbed like that in '04 when he last held the yellow. He doesn't normally contest the GC, so he's no reason to contest the climbs fully.

He's also a zero on the list of suspicion.

I hope your thread contribution ends in tears.

Explain how he lost 30 mins so? He didn't climb anywhere near as amazing as he is doing now. Stop talking rubbish . He lost 60 mins in 2004 and they can't take a second off him this year. It's absolute madness out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Ah, the certainty of someone who hasn't a clue what he's actually talking about. Isn't it great...

If you're actually interested in the realities of what we're watching read this. It's based on the Luz stage but today should be much the same. I think it puts the time he lost in 2004 and the time he didn't lose today in proper context. If you prefer to continue to base your suspicions on cynicism in the absence of any actual knowledge or understanding then don't bother, just carry on as you are.

Has Tommy gotten faster? Of has the front of the peloton gotten slower. Well, it turns out that this is something we can find out.

No one should be above suspicion, but if you think Voekler has transformed himself then you clearly haven't been paying attention to how he's been riding a bike for the last couple of years.

Advertisement