Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Thinking of picking this up for myself, no need to change blades, which are thinner than a human hair. I might need to decide quickly though as there's only 99 being made
    http://www.zafirro.com/products/Zafirro-Iridium.html

Lmao, bargain price of 100 grand. Think i'll get two... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Amalgam wrote: »
    Excellent stuff Gran Hermano, that's a real Cattle Grid affair going on there, somewhat similar to vintage UK razors like the Red Stripe and Knockout.

What is the handle like for grip?

No problems with the grip. Razor is nicely balanced and I forgot to mention in earlier post that the design/construction of the razor lends itself to a higher than normal amount of audible feedback as it whisks away the stubble, it almost sings.

I had contemplated using a longer handle from an EJ Chatsworth Barley with the new head but reckon I'll hold off for a while as a heavier handle may make it even more aggressive than I need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Lmao, bargain price of 100 grand. Think i'll get two... :D

Yes, that was my point !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hi All
    Spotted these in an antique shop in Galway.
    Was wondering if they are in any way rare etc.....
    Was gonna get thIS gold one as an alternative to my Merkur HD
    IMAG0525.jpg

Also this one, though it looks like standard blades won't fit it
    IMAG0523.jpg

And I know this is a safety razor thread but
    IMAG0522.jpg

Regards

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Hi All
    Spotted these in an antique shop in Galway.
    Was wondering if they are in any way rare etc.....
    Was gonna get thIS gold one as an alternative to my Merkur HD

Also this one, though it looks like standard blades won't fit it

And I know this is a safety razor thread but

Regards

HB

The top one looks like a Gillette 'Old Type'. The Old Type was made from 1904 until 1929. I think that could be a 'single ring'. You can pin down the date accurately by looking at the serial number on the razor when you take it apart. This shows where the date code is http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old%20Type/1905%20Single%20Ring.jpg and you can compare the date code here http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/US_Gillette_Dating_Information

The middle one is a single edge razor (I think an Ever-Ready 1912) and takes single edge blades. Cannaught shaving sells those blades. You can only get single edge razor blades online on this side of the Atlantic. Single edge razors can give a very nice shave.

The straight razor is a Ford & Medley Emu (I think - can't see the makers name on the tang). From a site selling a similar one;
    The company was started by Albert Medley, born in 1875 and recorded as a cutlery manufacturer in the 1901 census. By 1914 the company acquired the Emu Works and they ceased trading in the 1930s
    So it's from between 1914 and 1930ish. It looks to be in decent condition, providing the is no rust on the other side. It will be made from Sheffield steel so it should be a good shaver once honed.

What were the prices on them like?

As far as rarity is concerned I'm not sure. Probably fairly rare to find any of them in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Wow nice work man.
    The prices on them all were under 25, the Gillette Old Type was 22 I think.
    Might invest in one or maybe two... the straight caught my fancy.
    Would be nice to be shaving with something thats almost 100 years old.....

Thanks for the info

HB

If it was me I'd go for the Gillette and the straight razor but I'd try talk them down on the prices. They seem a bit high for my liking - try ask for a deal for 2 of them. The case for the DE looks in pretty bad shape.

If you do go for the straight make sure there is no rust near the edge. Chips on the edge, if there are any, shouldn't be too much of an issue. If there are any chips they will likely be really small and will come out when honed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Well, the head snapped off my timor :(

So I ordered another one from Shaving.ie :)

what did I do wrong wit the first one????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

what did I do wrong wit the first one????
    Use it to shave a bear?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Hi Hamsterboy,

The straight looks well worth getting if you can knock it down to 15 or so.

If you want an edge putting on it, I'd be happy to hone it to shave ready for you (assuming it can be honed, not cracked, warped or twisted) - no charge, the practice with the stone is useful.

If there are any small chips on the edge, I can take them out - but it will need quite a bit of work.

The Every readys can be had online for nothing, and they are a great little shaver - I bought one recently for £3 (shaved with it this morning actually as I was late for work) and I have seen them go for 99p on ebay uk. Use absolutely no pressure though as they can be a bit rough otherwise.

• Advertisement

MadsL wrote: »
    Hi Hamsterboy,

The straight looks well worth getting if you can knock it down to 15 or so.

If you want an edge putting on it, I'd be happy to hone it to shave ready for you (assuming it can be honed, not cracked, warped or twisted) - no charge, the practice with the stone is useful.

If there are any small chips on the edge, I can take them out - but it will need quite a bit of work.

The Every readys can be had online for nothing, and they are a great little shaver - I bought one recently for £3 (shaved with it this morning actually as I was late for work) and I have seen them go for 99p on ebay uk. Use absolutely no pressure though as they can be a bit rough otherwise.

Hey
    I'm poppin in tomorrow to pick up the Gillette and the straight.
    I would REALLY appreciate it if you could put an edge on it dude.
    Are you based in Galway?
    If not PM me your address and I'll post it to ye

Regards

HB

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Hey
    I'm poppin in tomorrow to pick up the Gillette and the straight.
    I would REALLY appreciate it if you could put an edge on it dude.
    Are you based in Galway?
    If not PM me your address and I'll post it to ye

Regards

HB

Those Gillette New open comb razors give a fine shave. I like mine so much
    I already picked up a backup one. They are a great introduction to using an open comb and differed enough to the Merkur HD or Progress to give variety. They are great if you have a couple of days of stubble to remove. Like yourself I like the fact I'm using a razor almost a century old. Just watch out for any bent or missing teeth in the comb part. (From your photo it looks all good).

Those Gillette New open comb razors give a fine shave. I like mine so much
    I already picked up a backup one. They are a great introduction to using an open comb and differed enough to the Merkur HD or Progress to give variety. They are great if you have a couple of days of stubble to remove. Like yourself I like the fact I'm using a razor almost a century old. Just watch out for any bent or missing teeth in the comb part. (From your photo it looks all good).

You should get into straight razors then :D

I actually missed out on a Gillette single ring from 1912 on ebay when I first got into DE's. It was really cheap too but I put in the wrong maximum bid I wanted to put in. I wondered what it shaved like for a while after that.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    You should get into straight razors then :D

I actually missed out on a Gillette single ring from 1912 on ebay when I first got into DE's. It was really cheap too but I put in the wrong maximum bid I wanted to put in. I wondered what it shaved like for a while after that.

This is one of my backup open combs, links in my old post still work so will save me re-uploading.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62381061&postcount=1505
    They are a mild open comb razor, no way near as aggressive or harsh as any of the more modern open combs I have tried.

I picked up some straights and a strop over a year ago and try and get a couple of shaves in with them every month but nowhere near as often as I would like. Time commitments and travel means I find DEs suit me better.

That set looks to be in great condition.

@hamsterboy PM sent.

Cheers guys for all the assistance.
    BTW, anyone any tips for cleaning the Gillette up a bit...looks a bit ...... well..... old......lol

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Had my first shave with a safety razor this morning and didn't cut myself :), how often would I want to change the blades?

I used to change blade every 4 or 5 shaves depending on what blade I was using. So I would say just use it until you feel it start to become uncormfortable then change straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I use Feathers and find that three shaves is as many as I can safely get out of them.

Hi All
    Well I popped into Galway today and purchased the Gillette safety and the Emu straight.
    The straight is off to MadsL for some honing (legend).
    I disinfected the safety and cleaned it up and promptly convinced myself that I could do with a shave so off I went at it.
    From the first WTG stroke...... I knew everything I thought I knew about DE shaving had changed. I reckon that after the second pass (XTG) it had done a better job than the HD would have after the third (ATG)
    This is only my second DE razor, my beloved HD being my weapon of choice... but this 100 year old razor WIPED THE FLOOR WITH THE MERKUR.
    I cannot stop feelin my cheeks and admiring the job the Gillette did. Something I didn't notice till I got it home today is that it holds the blade at a slight angle.... not as much as a slant bar but noticeable. This could be the reason why I just got THE best shave of my life........feels more like a barbers shave than my own work.
    Can't wait to get the Emu back and see can I top it.
    Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience....... and if anyone wants a second hand HD soon..... Watch this space

HB

Did you manage to talk them down on the prices of them at all?

Make sure you pick up a cheap strop for that straight razor.

Can't wait to get the Emu back and see can I top it.

Setting the bar high eh? Ah, well I love a challenge. Was the edge in good nick, no chips?

@hitemfrank Yep I haggled me ass off and got both for 30 :). Strop in the post as I type.

@MadsL Yep, always up for a challenge me. Edge is in quite good nick (no pun)... no chips that I can see. Will pop it into the post to ye tomorrow dude. Cheers again for honing it.

Gave the guy in the shop my number in case anything else interestin comes his way.

Regards

HB

30 quid for both is a pretty nice deal. You did well with the haggling.

Which strop did you get? Get a butter knife and practise with it whilst I sharpen :)

really good video here:

Try to think about balancing a coin on the back of your hand when turning the razor. Turn the razor not your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I just started using a Merkur Futur and I have to say I love it. Had a bit of blood the first time lol but things are looking up. Great shave, but still not totally used to the adjustment bit. The time I wrecked my neck I was messing around with trying out higher numbers.

Very happy and will definitely be staying with this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I just started using a Merkur Futur and I have to say I love it. Had a bit of blood the first time lol but things are looking up. Great shave, but still not totally used to the adjustment bit. The time I wrecked my neck I was messing around with trying out higher numbers.

Very happy and will definitely be staying with this now.

Not sure if I'll get a Merkur Futur or a Merkur Progress. :confused:

I've already got a Merkur 34c but I think I'll treat myself to an adjustable soon.

Decisions decisions........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

nc6000 wrote: »
    Not sure if I'll get a Merkur Futur or a Merkur Progress. :confused:

I've already got a Merkur 34c but I think I'll treat myself to an adjustable soon.

Decisions decisions........
    Am in the same boat myself, can an adjustable be adjusted to be more aggressive than the 34c?

Advertisement