Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to clean an old TTO

Options
  • 17-05-2011 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭

Howdy brethern, Have a fatboy I aquired off ebay last year. Great little razor have to say. It's now time for a clean.
    Can any of you gents lend a little advice in this area.
    Could I immerse it in some sort of solution to take all that gunk off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Can I tell you what *NOT* to use?

Resist the urge to use a strong Milton or worse, bleach based solution. You'll be left with a tarnished razor.

A lot of the old Gillettes have a thin layer of lacquer, which will react badly to certain caustic chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

just used some very hot water, soap and an old tooth brush and it's all nice and sparkly again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I have a home made 'vibratory tumbler' for cleaning/polishing straights;

Basically a big plastic tub full of crushed walnut shells, it has an off centre motor attached to it so it vibrates the small walnut shell pieces. I've primed this batch with rubbing compound, but it can run plain for slower effect.

Mine is much gentler than this; but same principle..

If you want I can give it a day in the walnut shells - it should come out nice and shiny. Send me a PM.

At your own risk though, I don't want you to be disappointed if the lacquer/finish comes off, but I think these guys have had good results.

More thoughts on this technique here...

http://www.jamiebutler.com/tutorials/safety_razor_restoration.php

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I clean my razors with an ultrasonic cleaner I got in Aldi. They haven't any at the moment but they stock them from time to time. It just uses warm later and a few drops of washing-up liquid. Works well on glasses (spectacles) and jewellery as well.

Advertisement